3827 16 2019-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

On all of my other DJI Drones the Ipad Mini is without a doubt the best tablet to use with them.

So when they brought out the Mavic Mini I kind of assumed the DJI Fly App would work with it Properly. Despite what others say it does not work properly it is just a stretched phone app.

Reading these forumns it is obvious that it does not work properly with any Tablet.

So to my thinking........ Tablets generally dont have a cell service (They can I know but most dont) Phones of course do have a cell service.

Because the new stuff now and soon to come to do with the Law requires internet connections when out in the field I think DJI are only writing Apps to work on Phones so that we are all once again forced to comply.

I know Phones can be put into Airplane mode but many people dont do this

What do you think any thuth here I wonder ?

2019-12-7
Use props
Part107
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Member JodyB has a thread in the Mini subforum on a couple tablets he tested and found a couple that do i believe.
2019-12-7
Use props
o4dn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24524 ft
France

I doubt it, I don't have data enabled on my smartphone (on purpose) and the DJI Fly App runs just fine.
2019-12-7
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

o4dn Posted at 12-7 00:58
I doubt it, I don't have data enabled on my smartphone (on purpose) and the DJI Fly App runs just fine.

I know it will run...…. But many leave all that stuff on because they don't know any better
2019-12-7
Use props
Bright Spark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

Does not the phone capture all the data of the event, regardless of turning data off, and send it all to google/dji at the first opportunity?
2019-12-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

How will that work with SRC, I think you might be barking up the wrong tree there, I think you can work of a tablet just not as good as with other drones .
2019-12-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI could easily check for internet on a table before it let you take off. They probably wanted to keep development costs down and expected the majority of people buying a budget drone to use their phone.
2019-12-7
Use props
Hamiltom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82927 ft
Canada

DAFlys Posted at 12-7 04:00
DJI could easily check for internet on a table before it let you take off. They probably wanted to keep development costs down and expected the majority of people buying a budget drone to use their phone.

My Samsung Tab S6 has no cellular capabilities and works very well. The key is that the device must have GPS built in. When testing my old phone (Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra) that has no sim card in it, it also worked perfectly. If you want internet then tether your phone to your tablet, then start the app.
2019-12-7
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

"Because the new stuff now and soon to come to do with the Law requires internet connections when out in the field ..."

Should that become Law, it will get challenged in U.S. court.  As being un-reasonable expectation by FAA.

U.S. has open spaces (in the field) where there is no Internet connections and no Cellular service.
2019-12-7
Use props
Alamoflyer
lvl.2

United States

It won't run on 2gb ram Android btw needs 3+
2019-12-7
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

It works very well on my iPad Air 2. It does not appear to be stretched. I go between that and my iPhone XR so I have a reference to compare the two. My iPad Air 2 does have cellular capability and therefore does have gps but I do not have a sim installed in it. It is worth noting that when I got that iPad Air 2, it was running iOS 10 and did look stretched. But after updating to iOS 13, it looks as good as on the iPhone XR.
2019-12-7
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JodyB Posted at 12-7 19:19
It works very well on my iPad Air 2. It does not appear to be stretched. I go between that and my iPhone XR so I have a reference to compare the two. My iPad Air 2 does have cellular capability and therefore does have gps but I do not have a sim installed in it. It is worth noting that when I got that iPad Air 2, it was running iOS 10 and did look stretched. But after updating to iOS 13, it looks as good as on the iPhone XR.

You don't want to be updating that IOS will lead to  a world of trouble
2019-12-8
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-8 13:28
You don't want to be updating that IOS will lead to  a world of trouble

LOL as much as it would make you cringe, I update iOS quite regularly as I am a dev.
2019-12-8
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 12-7 09:40
"Because the new stuff now and soon to come to do with the Law requires internet connections when out in the field ..."

Should that become Law, it will get challenged in U.S. court.  As being un-reasonable expectation by FAA.

Yep.  And a lot of these areas without cell service will likely be some of the best areas to shoot drone video because of their beauty, lack of WiFi interference, and the safety of flying over unpopulated areas.

Eliminating the ability to fly in these wild areas would be a terrible infringement on the utility of camera drones.
2019-12-9
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

JodyB Posted at 12-8 14:20
LOL as much as it would make you cringe, I update iOS quite regularly as I am a dev.

Giving you a Thumbs up for being a "Tester" for rest.  

Learned long ago, you don't want to be Alpha or Beta tester unless, you absolutely have too.
Makes your Customer happier, which makes your Salesman happy, which makes your Bosses happy.  
2019-12-9
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 12-9 10:01
Giving you a Thumbs up for being a "Tester" for rest.  

Learned long ago, you don't want to be Alpha or Beta tester unless, you absolutely have too.

I suppose you could call it being a "tester". I actually develop and maintain a couple of apps pro-actively for the company I work for. It does give the added benefit that if a different app that I use a lot, say like DJI Fly, doesn't work with the update. I can file a feedback report and Apple can look at whether it's something they caused or if it's something that needs to be changed within the app and let the developer know that it needs to be fixed on their end. I don't use my dev account on a device that I actually fly with though.
2019-12-9
Use props
Madperk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 650089 ft
United States

Works great on my iPad Air 2 gen 1 and gen 3 with the latest iOS.  I think you are way off base on this post.  Your title is incorrect and misleading. It does run stretched but there’s no real issue other than maps.  You just need to tether.  I read in another post where a dev said something about offline maps in a future version of the app.  
2019-12-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules