Radar orientation inaccurate
6286 50 2019-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Terry851
lvl.1
United States

Terry851 Posted at 2-2 10:03
I too have this problem.  Just flew 2 batteries worth, and the direction in DJI Fly was incorrect at least 75% of the time.  Latest firmware updates.  RC at least 20' from large metal objects (the cars), MM 30' high and up to 50' away (wind too high), drone position indicator just did  not work reliably.  I'll have to look at the map view...good suggestion.

Flew my 3rd battery, and for this flight, I used Map Mode instead of Camera View.  Note the compass icon to the right of the screen - the default is to keep the map view "fixed."  If you press that icon, the map view changes depending on which direction you/the RC is facing.  I found that in this mode, the AC indicator was very accurate, ie it showed me which way the MM was facing.  Until I get more experienced in flying the MM / using DJI Fly, I'll fly in this mode until I have a view that I'd like to capture as a picture or video.
2020-2-2
Use props
Terry851
lvl.1
United States

Terry851 Posted at 2-2 10:03
I too have this problem.  Just flew 2 batteries worth, and the direction in DJI Fly was incorrect at least 75% of the time.  Latest firmware updates.  RC at least 20' from large metal objects (the cars), MM 30' high and up to 50' away (wind too high), drone position indicator just did  not work reliably.  I'll have to look at the map view...good suggestion.

Flew my 3rd battery, and for this flight, I used Map Mode instead of Camera View.  Note the compass icon to the right of the screen - the default is to keep the map view "fixed."  If you press that icon, the map view changes depending on which direction you/the RC is facing.  I found that in this mode, the AC indicator was very accurate, ie it showed me which way the MM was facing.  Until I get more experienced in flying the MM / using DJI Fly, I'll fly in this mode until I have a view that I'd like to capture as a picture or video.
2020-2-2
Use props
Jim_H
lvl.3
Flight distance : 787152 ft
Malaysia

Same for me, using an iphone XR, calibrated both phone and MM's compasses, and it's still the same..
i hope it doesnt make the MM go haywire and fly away though...
2020-2-2
Use props
DroneWiz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1016857 ft

United States

I'm having the same issue with a Pixel 2. Most of the time it shows the drone behind me when it's in front. Tried calibrating the compass on the phone to no avail.
2020-3-27
Use props
Bezik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 420646 ft
United Kingdom

not sure if this works same as on android but my friends was way off and once he calibrated his android compass all was good
2020-3-27
Use props
djiuser_Qoqg82bz3Frx
lvl.1
Flight distance : 125210 ft
United States

I too have the same radar problem.  I've read most of the thread.  The problem is not the distance between the AC and the remote/phone, I've seen the radar show true orientation and then while flying in one direction the radar goes another.  I've changed phones: Pixel 3A VS Iphone 6.  Same exact problem.   Recalibrated everything 14 Xs,   Also I've been watching the map - sometimes its orientation is off also.  I opened a ticket today.  Hopefully i'll hear soon.  
2020-4-8
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_Qoqg82bz3Frx Posted at 4-8 22:10
I too have the same radar problem.  I've read most of the thread.  The problem is not the distance between the AC and the remote/phone, I've seen the radar show true orientation and then while flying in one direction the radar goes another.  I've changed phones: Pixel 3A VS Iphone 6.  Same exact problem.   Recalibrated everything 14 Xs,   Also I've been watching the map - sometimes its orientation is off also.  I opened a ticket today.  Hopefully i'll hear soon.

turn your mobile device 180 degrees in the holder.

Since the update FlyApp i had to so this to get a good reading.

cheers
JJB
2020-4-8
Use props
djiuser_0ubxWlAuLS7V
New

United Kingdom

Been having same issue here... so I've done some tests with my phone.... I always have orientation locked to portrait... if that's the case, put google maps on, get your north then rotate your phone to landscape without moving from north.... the compass tries to update in the wrong orientation.  Tested this on android 10 samsung a50. Turn off screen lock to allow auto rotation and do the same. With screen rotation off compass is all over the shot in landscape which is the normal position in the controller. But with landscape turned on it shows correct as maps twist and readjust direction. So the rule here is before flying, wifi off, bluetooth off, auto rotate on... will test with drone tomorrow but pretty sure that's the issue here not the drone.
2020-5-14
Use props
djiuser_0ubxWlAuLS7V
New

United Kingdom

Ok so done some testing this morning.

It is indeed to do with screen orientation on the mobile device.

Turned on screen rotation, but I still had issues, hmmm, so I tilted the phone portrait and it was correct, radar was about in the right position. Tilted back to landscape and drone showing behind me, so whilst auto rotate on did not solve the issue.

So then i rotated the phone landscape and turned rotation lock on and boom, the radar jumped and was totally accurate. I had to rotate my phone to the orientation that it would be in the controlled and turn on rotation lock for it to work.

I cant help but think this might be connected to dji app starting in wrong rotation, upside down. Default landscape is with the power adapted to right on a phone. But it's to left in controller so upside down and you have to way for the app to flip.... then you have to lock orientation and it works fine.

So this could be due to starting orientation of app messing phone rotation and confusing compas
2020-5-15
Use props
djiuser_K87SF7nryjqP
New

United States

If u turn your Android or Samsung over, the compass orientation will be correct on the Mavic mini
2020-6-18
Use props
cLaNzKiLLeR
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1360007 ft
Malaysia

Hi there, i hope this video will explain the orientation problem as well as fixing it. Kindly do let me know if it doesnt work.
2020-6-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules