How to edit over exposed footage
1674 7 2019-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sidman
lvl.1

Canada

Hi,

I am new to OSMO pocket. I shot footage and it's overexposed.

I brought in my footage to premiere and tried to bring down the exposure but it seems like it doesn't have much range, it becomes super flat when I try to bring the exposure down. Anyone have ideas on how to bring the exposure down. Is there some setting on the device where I can keep the range for editing later?

Thanks for your help.

Sid
2019-12-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Sid. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. I hope that you will get the best recommendation and information with regards to this matter from our valued DJI co pilots. Thank you.
2019-12-9
Use props
sidman
lvl.1

Canada

Anyone who can help me with this?
2019-12-9
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

It does have limited range, but if you use the Mimo app you can use zebra stripes to indicate blown out areas.

Or on the pocket itself you can set the EV value to say -1.0  to slightly underexpose the image to accommodate for brighter areas.
2019-12-9
Use props
sidman
lvl.1

Canada

MKosmo Posted at 12-9 13:15
It does have limited range, but if you use the Mimo app you can use zebra stripes to indicate blown out areas.

Or on the pocket itself you can set the EV value to say -1.0  to slightly underexpose the image to accommodate for brighter areas.

Hi MKosmo,
Thanks for your message.

Is there anything we could do in post?
2019-12-11
Use props
sidman
lvl.1

Canada

MKosmo Posted at 12-9 13:15

Or on the pocket itself you can set the EV value to say -1.0  to slightly underexpose the image to accommodate for brighter areas.

Hi MKosmo,
Thanks for your message.

Is there anything we could do in post?
2019-12-11
Use props
sidman
lvl.1

Canada

Hi MKosmo,

thanks for your message.

Is there anything we can do in post?
2019-12-11
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

At first you should understand what exposure actually is. Exposure is the quantity of light reaching a camera sensor, as determined by shutter speed and lens aperture. While in Osmo Pocket we have fixed aperture, only parameter we could change is shatter speed. The ideal exposure value (EV) is 0.0, but all depend. Generally it is better to underexpose your image than overexpose, because of ability to recover information from the "shadow" areas it post-production. When you underexposed you image it means you can high Shadows when you colour-grade. But in situation with overexposed image, your Highlight areas are just burnt, so there are no ditails in this areas to recover. Usually we just through such images into the trash-bin. But you can try. For that you don't need to reduce whole parameter Exposure in your Adobe Premiere. You shoud bring down your highlights. This way your Shadows would stay the same and your entire contrast wouldn't reduce too much. Hope it could help
2019-12-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules