14740 109 2019-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Skrajnik
lvl.3
Flight distance : 764623 ft
Slovenia

I think this is big problem for mini.

I had to replace my propellers 3 times and always the same problem.

Propeller hits the body,gets little chopped and then it is "OK". I use sandpaper to smooth it.
But I noticed recently in timelapse photography, that drone turns a little by it self?!
And recent firmware made it worse?

Wth is going on, dji??
Should I replace the drone, use warranty or what?
2020-5-11
Use props
Art Vandelay
Second Officer
Flight distance : 95492 ft
United States

I had the same issue.  You may want to try some third-party carbon fiber props.  I bought some off e-bay and currently use them on my rear motors to try to address the uncommanded descent issue.  No issues since putting them on but it may be the latest firmware update that fixed it.  Don't know.  What I'm sure of is that these "carbon fiber" props are noticeably thicker and firmer than standard DJI props.  I have a feeling that they aren't actually carbon fiber but just thicker plastic.  I haven't cut one open so I'm not sure but they are much firmer so I bet they won't bend as much under stress and may solve your fuselage strike issue.  Use at your own risk!
2020-5-11
Use props
djiuser_U3yTkoL63Lah
New

United Kingdom

Im getting exactly the same problem, same arm and everything. its quite loud when its hitting and damaged all my spare props. done everthing by the book when changing them too. arm looks fine too.
2020-5-12
Use props
werdschowern
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20427 ft
Germany

Hi!
By flying against the wind, the forwarding blades has more lift then the backwarding. With softer blades this load difference can be destroyed in the blades. With harder blades this load difference must be destroyed by the engine mount or the legs of the mini. I think it´s better making the legs stronger. I cut out the soft fillings of the mini front legs with a knife and put in equivalent 1.5mm balsa wooden boards (grain vertical) with speed glue.  The front legs of the mini now  exactly same strong as the back legs. The weight is the same. In warranty case i can replace back to the original fillings. Sorry about my english.
2020-5-12
Use props
Skrajnik
lvl.3
Flight distance : 764623 ft
Slovenia

Why should I do anything with my drone?
I bought it to fly and shoot video with it, not to do modifications and repair it?

I wonder if I would get warranty replace or even some other drone for this factory mistake?
2020-5-12
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

Skrajnik Posted at 5-12 09:22
Why should I do anything with my drone?
I bought it to fly and shoot video with it, not to do modifications and repair it?

People have had arms replaced under warranty
2020-5-12
Use props
Flydrone2710
New
Flight distance : 124055 ft
Germany

I have the same Problem and the technical DJI support told my to send the drone back, but I have to pay 50 euros. Have I to pay or can I use my Guarantee?
2020-5-13
Use props
TeslaFanBoi_
lvl.2
Flight distance : 189754 ft
United States

I had the same issue
2021-1-8
Use props
Gf999
lvl.2
Poland

Hi everyone,

today was a nice weather so I get my MM, a checked props and start to fly. After few minutes I heart "clack" during lowering action. After landing it appear that one of the front propeller have sign of damage as well as on body of drone and arm were black marks. I changed propellers and start to fly - same happened with new ones (same arm, props from combo set).
I'm very disappointed it is a second issue with my drone - previously I had motor error and waste some sets of props (because of DJI advice).

Other information / background:
- I flied before around 116 times, approximately 10h / more than 50km.
- ambient temp: 10 deg C
- low wind
- MM stored in DJI case from combo set with care of propeller positions
- all propellers checked before flies as well as screws
- never damaged
- only original DJI props are used
2021-2-25
Use props
IceMan32
lvl.1

United States

I am experiencing this same issue with my right front propeller. Is there any update from DJI on how to resolve. I have only used DJI props and due to this issue I have had to purchase several new sets. With new propellers this issue appears to be fixed only to re-surface after just a few flights. Very disappointed. I talked with DJI technical support yesterday and she acted like she never heard of this issue. Not very happy with their support. Any new news on this topic would be greatly appreciated. TIA
2021-2-26
Use props
djiuser_DyySvFiMKtR0
New

Austria

I have the exact same problem. Right front side, I can hear the sound when the propellers are hitting the body of the drone and of course the propellers are getting damaged after the flight. I also get a motor error during my flights. After landing the ESC always beeps.
I'm not willing to exchange my propellers all the time and smashing them after flying in C-mode, very slow movements, normal flight conditions, no heavy wind, no rain, not -10°C and so on. I just want to fly!!

2021-2-26
Use props
djiuser_DyySvFiMKtR0
New

Austria

2021-2-26
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

20200304_185550_crop.jpg

In case this happens to you I suggest you check the straightness of the arms and I think it could be of a help if you install the motor covers, not only they help keep dust and grit away from inside the motor but also limit the amount of free movement the props have on the anchoring screw pin. There are also mods to reinforce the arms and avoid excessive flexing under load.
2021-2-26
Use props
Gf999
lvl.2
Poland

m80116 Posted at 2-26 14:21
In case this happens to you I suggest you check the straightness of the arms and I think it could be of a help if you install the motor covers, not only they help keep dust and grit away from inside the motor but also limit the amount of free movement the props have on the anchoring screw pin. There are also mods to reinforce the arms and avoid excessive flexing under load.

That is interesting, but still if that help than DJI should done some kind of service call and add this for free. I think it is not fair that they force us to buy a lot of propellers because of design mistakes.
2021-2-26
Use props
Gf999
lvl.2
Poland

DJI please give as advise how to proceed with this issue ? Should we use warranty ? Will you do service call or what ?
2021-3-1
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

Gf999 Posted at 3-1 02:56
DJI please give as advise how to proceed with this issue ? Should we use warranty ? Will you do service call or what ?

Sadly dji does not answer upon request in the forum. Minnie moderates the forum but no guarantee yours will be seen really. If new props still do not work then I suggest open a ticket and get dji to replace flexible arms with maybe mini 2 rigid arm? If you have warranty replacmeent in effect you are replace the unit and see if the new unit is ok? I think this is not a problem for all the units.
DJI enegineers definitly know about this issue and that is why mini 2 has rigid arms and there are zero reports of the strike anymore. Just the support team likes to play balls...
2021-5-13
Use props
djiuser_ds46o8FMl1DP
New
Flight distance : 149764 ft
United States

I have the same issue but both right and left are hitting my body. Is there a fix out for this yet ???

It has caused it to crash. I have gone through about six sets of new propellers for it, and it still hits.  
2021-7-23
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

djiuser_ds46o8FMl1DP Posted at 7-23 18:37
I have the same issue but both right and left are hitting my body. Is there a fix out for this yet ???

It has caused it to crash. I have gone through about six sets of new propellers for it, and it still hits.

Nope. If you are sure new props are put on in original pairs, out of the same pack. Installation is by the book Then no you should only contact DJI to return for inspection.
2021-7-24
Use props
Michael Melara
New

United States

Any updates on DJI response? Ive been through the post and it seems to be a while since dji has participated? Obviously it is a know issues spanning years.
2022-1-9
Use props
Art Vandelay
Second Officer
Flight distance : 95492 ft
United States

Michael Melara Posted at 1-9 05:29
Any updates on DJI response? Ive been through the post and it seems to be a while since dji has participated? Obviously it is a know issues spanning years.

Are you storing the mini in the combo case?  Doing so is known to deform the props.  Perhaps, it is causing them to strike the body too.
2022-1-9
Use props
Junior - Brazil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 476483 ft
Brazil

DJI's answer was to develop a new product to solve this problem, as well as (low) resistance to winds: the DJI Mini 2 and then the DJI Mini SE, both with arms with less possibility of torsion, stronger engines and stiffer propellers that cannot even be used on the Mavic Mini. "Do you want to solve this problem? We have two models, just purchase."
2022-1-9
Use props
Michael Melara
New

United States

Art Vandelay Posted at 1-9 05:40
Are you storing the mini in the combo case?  Doing so is known to deform the props.  Perhaps, it is causing them to strike the body too.

I only  store it when traveling other than that i have it folded sitting on the case most days. Ive put a new pair on and still experience the same phenomenon. Im sure its from the front arm flexing into the fuselage.
2022-1-9
Use props
Michael Melara
New

United States

Junior - Brazil Posted at 1-9 17:25
DJI's answer was to develop a new product to solve this problem, as well as (low) resistance to winds: the DJI Mini 2 and then the DJI Mini SE, both with arms with less possibility of torsion, stronger engines and stiffer propellers that cannot even be used on the Mavic Mini. "Do you want to solve this problem? We have two models, just purchase."
dji not as top tier as we thought
2022-1-9
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

Michael Melara Posted at 1-9 18:53
dji not as top tier as we thought

make sure you properly tighten the screws. I have seen new screws crooked too. Check if they look straight and tighten properly. Always put in balanced pair of props (2 blades out of the same bag). Last time I had strike the screw was slightly loose.
2022-1-9
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

Quick update on this after long term use. The unit was purchased in 2019 and now it is 2023. I remember I had to replace 3 pairs for a number of flights since I claimed no more issues in Jan 2020. All happened in P mode and calm weather. Problem is very likely due to flexible forearms filled with foam material. This guy printed stiffener to mod the arms and it gave me some ideas.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4102555/comments
I will try to wrap the arm with PVC tape to create a box section making the arm less prone to twisting. Hopefully keeping it less than 250g too. Report back later. DJI has been blaming users for crashing when they get RMA due to poor arm design because they do not want to acknowledge there is a problem. They "fixed" the issue by stiffening Mini 2 arms at Mini user cost.
2023-6-23
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I recollect "old man mavic" over on the MavicPilots forum cut up bank cards and used them as reinforcing, you could perhaps join there and send him a PM asking what he did.
See post #27  in
https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... /page-2#post-923874
2023-6-23
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 6-23 02:17
I recollect "old man mavic" over on the MavicPilots forum cut up bank cards and used them as reinforcing, you could perhaps join there and send him a PM asking what he did.
See post #27  in
https://mavicpilots.com/threads/mavic-mini-prop-has-unstable-shape.81621/page-2#post-923874

Thanks for that tip. I do get his method. I wanna try tape first as it does reduce torsional stress on the arms a bit. I could also buy arms from mini2 and use the rigid plates to reinforce the mini 1 arms with  abit of glue but that is a bit more costly. Easy method goes first.
2023-6-23
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

Ha ha! Thrilled to know after wrapping both forearms with 1 layer of polypropylene cross filament tape the weight gain was merely 0.31g. Now takeoff weight is 248.67g with the heaviest battery. The tape is not stretchy in both directions due to the filaments. I can also write my info on the tape. Hopefully the box section reinfocement will prevent prop strikes in the future. I will report if it happens again.
2023-7-11
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

3 flights in. Up and down top speed, some wind even. No issue so far  with the tape job.
2023-8-7
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

Still ok now. Tape seems to resolve it.
4-14 03:34
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules