14690 109 2019-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Guorium
lvl.4
Flight distance : 513061 ft
China

Hi All,

I have encountered a very strange problem lately. For two flights in a row, I found black marks on the right side of the fuselage where the tip of the prop blade could touch the fuselage and the arm part (close to the hinge). I first thought it just the drone hitting bugs. But the marks appeared in the same spots (I wiped clean each time). It is very unlikely to be bugs hitting the same locations. This time the propeller tip was folded slightly. I had to replace the set on the front right motor.

I really think the prop hit the drone itself as I see no bugs around when the sound of collision occurred in front of me. Perhaps I had a dodgy propeller set that is too flexible? Normally they would not hit the drone ofc. The arms are fully unfolded. I put on a new set and hope it won't happen again. It is a very weird issue... Have anyone seen the same?

4 years UPDATE: Replace like 4 -5 paris now after first incident. Pretty certain now props are not the issue. DJI made these front arms way too soft. They flex and twist. Fixed the issue with mini 2 rigit front arm. Bascially give us money and we fix our design flaw. It is dumb having to pay for props every couple flights. I made a box section by wrapping a layer of polyproplyene fabric tape on the front arms. This should reinforce it a bit hofefully preventing the arm flexing and twisting. Takeoff weight is still under 249g. One flight done with no problem. Will take a couple more to see if the issue is indeed resolved.

The spots where the blade hit

The spots where the blade hit

Tip folded on one blade

Tip folded on one blade
2019-12-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Can you post a photo of the area?
2019-12-10
Use props
djiuser_EGdkPkhD4Dg6
lvl.2

United States

I have this exact same problem. The mini was never in a crash and one particular prop keeps hitting the fuselage. I did change out the prop but it still does it. I’ve seen this question pop up a few times but the answer seems to be just to replace the prop. Hopefully someone can provide more insight.
2019-12-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would check to see of the arm is slightly twisted and swap out that prop as you never want to fly with a damaged one.
2019-12-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused you. This is not the experience, we want you to have with your new DJI Mavic Mini and with DJI. Rest assured that issue will be forwarded to the proper DJI department for evaluation and for us to rectify the said issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you for your understanding and support.
2019-12-10
Use props
djiuser_RL0fmj8VVKpt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1029052 ft
United Kingdom

i had the same problem, I swapped the front with the backone and it was fine after that. Check they are screwed in tight as well
2019-12-10
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Could you also take a picture of the Mini with the arms opened?
Also and image of the proops extended towards the body so we can judge any twist.
2019-12-10
Use props
Guorium
lvl.4
China

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-10 10:52
Could you also take a picture of the Mini with the arms opened?
Also and image of the proops extended towards the body so we can judge any twist.

I cannot see any twisted arms. They look good when inspecting on a leveled flat benchtop. The old props have good clearance to the body. I have replaced them due to the damage and the pics are for the new props. Are these pics enough? Funny how it occurred only after so many flights and in China.

2019-12-10
Use props
Guorium
lvl.4
China

djiuser_RL0fmj8VVKpt Posted at 12-10 10:44
i had the same problem, I swapped the front with the backone and it was fine after that. Check they are screwed in tight as well

Thanks. Too late as mine is damaged already. Had to replace. The screws were proper though. I check them every few flights.
2019-12-10
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Guorium Posted at 12-10 15:32
I cannot see any twisted arms. They look good when inspecting on a leveled flat benchtop. The old props have good clearance to the body. I have replaced them due to the damage and the pics are for the new props. Are these pics enough? Funny how it occurred only after so many flights and in China.

[view_image]

Maybe the props have been slightly bent during transport or storage?
The props are so thin... they could be easily bent.
2019-12-11
Use props
Guorium
lvl.4
China

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-11 03:06

Not possible, pre flight check made sure no such thing happens.
2019-12-11
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Hi. With regards to this matter. I have sent a PM, kindly please check if you have free time. Thank you.
2019-12-11
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Something has to be out of alignment for the blade (s) to hit the fuselage. Either the blades themselves, something bent out of shape or even motor alignment or motor spindle somehow leaning to one side.
2019-12-11
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

JodyB Posted at 12-11 09:35
Something has to be out of alignment for the blade (s) to hit the fuselage. Either the blades themselves, something bent out of shape or even motor alignment or motor spindle somehow leaning to one side.

Agree, seems odd is why I asked if they could be bent.
2019-12-11
Use props
Guorium
lvl.4
China

JodyB Posted at 12-11 09:35
Something has to be out of alignment for the blade (s) to hit the fuselage. Either the blades themselves, something bent out of shape or even motor alignment or motor spindle somehow leaning to one side.

Nothing looked bent when spinning on the ground. It is highly likely that the arm or the prop warped midair due to whatever force. Whatever it is the mini isn't good enough to handle that much force. No impacts occurred so I can only say the wind was too much? Anyway it appears dji support is quite keen on contacting me about this issue.

2019-12-11
Use props
Guorium
lvl.4
China

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-11 09:53
Agree, seems odd is why I asked if they could be bent.

I inspected the damaged blades, they are very much straight so is the arm. Please see my opinion above.
2019-12-11
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Guorium Posted at 12-11 16:54
I inspected the damaged blades, they are very much straight so is the arm. Please see my opinion above.

Maybe a sudden extreme wind gust could bend the prop enough to hit the body but I guess that much force will blow the mini away anyway... Please report back if DJI support finds a solution for you issue since it may help others with similar problem in the future.
Hope its sorted out asap!
2019-12-12
Use props
Guorium
lvl.4
China

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-12 12:10
Maybe a sudden extreme wind gust could bend the prop enough to hit the body but I guess that much force will blow the mini away anyway... Please report back if DJI support finds a solution for you issue since it may help others with similar problem in the future.
Hope its sorted out asap!

Yeah DJI is on it. I can only keep replacing props main while. The footage did not tell of strong wind sooooo....
2019-12-12
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311020 ft
United States

djiuser_EGdkPkhD4Dg6 Posted at 12-10 05:15
I have this exact same problem. The mini was never in a crash and one particular prop keeps hitting the fuselage. I did change out the prop but it still does it. I’ve seen this question pop up a few times but the answer seems to be just to replace the prop. Hopefully someone can provide more insight.

Sounds to me like the arm that holds to motor is moving thus allowing the prop to hit the fuselage. Maybe there is a weak spring that is supposed to hold the arm fully extended?
2019-12-12
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-11 03:06

They might also vibrate.
2019-12-12
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
United States

Guorium Posted at 12-12 17:14
Yeah DJI is on it. I can only keep replacing props main while. The footage did not tell of strong wind sooooo....

You need a drone to follow and film your drone.  Probably need high speed filming too.
2019-12-12
Use props
Guorium
lvl.4
China

JohnK48 Posted at 12-12 17:19
Sounds to me like the arm that holds to motor is moving thus allowing the prop to hit the fuselage. Maybe there is a weak spring that is supposed to hold the arm fully extended?

They feel properly stong on boths sides, the spring loaded hinges. In fact I think it may be a prop issue because I found a new spare screw crooked when installing which led me to believe the spare props are off poor quality. These are the ones supplied with the combo.
2019-12-12
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Guorium Posted at 12-11 16:51
Nothing looked bent when spinning on the ground. It is highly likely that the arm or the prop warped midair due to whatever force. Whatever it is the mini isn't good enough to handle that much force. No impacts occurred so I can only say the wind was too much? Anyway it appears dji support is quite keen on contacting me about this issue.

[view_image]

That's with the motors at idle speed, I wonder about when they are under load? Half to full throttle? If you've had the chance to get out, has it done it anymoresince changing the blades/props?
2019-12-13
Use props
Guorium
lvl.4
China

JodyB Posted at 12-13 15:32
That's with the motors at idle speed, I wonder about when they are under load? Half to full throttle? If you've had the chance to get out, has it done it anymoresince changing the blades/props?
The factory installed props broke. Replacement spare prop broke too. The second replacement lasted two flights so far. I went full throttle in all directions and yaw (p mode). Seems ok for now. The last two flights were not windy. Will keep watching.
2019-12-15
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Guorium Posted at 12-15 06:12
The factory installed props broke. Replacement spare prop broke too. The second replacement lasted two flights so far. I went full throttle in all directions and yaw (p mode). Seems ok for now. The last two flights were not windy. Will keep watching.

Good deal!! Maybe it was just an issue with the factory installed props and them alone. Hopeful that’s all it was!!
2019-12-15
Use props
Mark Conklin
lvl.1

United States

Same happens to me in sport mode the arm actually twists and causes the blade strike
2019-12-18
Use props
fansc5f1bc74
lvl.1
United States

I am having the same issue.  I have sent DJI a video and waiting on a response.  Very disappointing!
2019-12-25
Use props
fansc5f1bc74
lvl.1
United States

I am having the same issue.  I have sent DJI a video and waiting on a response.  Very disappointing!
2019-12-25
Use props
fansc5f1bc74
lvl.1
United States

Me too. Less than 10 flights.  Stock propellers.  No collision, hard landing or crash.  I had a chat with support this morning.  They asked for a video.  You can see the right arm twist when moving up/down.  I gave them my name and email.  No ETA provided.  I hope DJI handles quickly.
2019-12-25
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Could just be plastic fatigue in the arm near the motor from numerous flights, the mini doesn't seem strong in that area.

It is easy to twist the arm , if you grab the front leg it will twist on its own without force at where the motor joins the arm,  the plastic is very soft
On power up and in sport mode this is also the area that experiences the most torque

Probably a design specification fault due to excessive weight saving, the arm at that point should be especially rigid torsionally since there is weight outboard

You'll also notice that the panel highlighted in yellow on the fornt arms is a type of foam rubber, while on the back arms it is rigid plastic.
Being pliable means that the arms twist easily without much structural strength to stop it.
mavic mini arm.JPG
2019-12-25
Use props
fansc5f1bc74
lvl.1
United States

I really hope it isn't a result of plastic fatigue in the arm after less than 40 mins of flight time.  I have only used sport mode a couple of times and no stressful flying or wind conditions.  I was really excited about this product's abilities and size vs. my phantom pro, but it has proven to be an expensive gimmick so far.  I hope what I am experiencing is anomalous and DJI makes this right.  
2019-12-25
Use props
djiuser_Wkr6FNKGJ3z8
lvl.2
Flight distance : 207100 ft
Italy

fansc5f1bc74 Posted at 2019-12-25 08:52
Me too. Less than 10 flights.  Stock propellers.  No collision, hard landing or crash.  I had a chat with support this morning.  They asked for a video.  You can see the right arm twist when moving up/down.  I gave them my name and email.  No ETA provided.  I hope DJI handles quickly.

hi there is news.
I have the same problem I wrote to the assistance and sent videos of it doing it in flight.
2020-1-4
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

bend the arm a bit so it straight
2020-1-4
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 2019-12-11 03:06
This is one of my concerns as well.  I especially wonder if storing and transporting the drone with the props held tight, as some people do, with bands to secure them, might warp the blades or even the arms.
2020-1-4
Use props
djiuser_Wkr6FNKGJ3z8
lvl.2
Italy

Guorium Posted at 2019-12-10 15:32
I cannot see any twisted arms. They look good when inspecting on a leveled flat benchtop. The old props have good clearance to the body. I have replaced them due to the damage and the pics are for the new props. Are these pics enough? Funny how it occurred only after so many flights and in China.

[view_image]

how did you solve? i have the same problem your right front arm vibrates even when the drone is hovering and in the various maneuvers the vibration increases
2020-1-5
Use props
djiuser_Wkr6FNKGJ3z8
lvl.2
Italy

DJI Paladin Posted at 2019-12-10 08:46
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused you. This is not the experience, we want you to have with your new DJI Mavic Mini and with DJI. Rest assured that issue will be forwarded to the proper DJI department for evaluation and for us to rectify the said issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you for your understanding and support.

can you help me i have a similar case with my drone
2020-1-5
Use props
ThrobThompson
lvl.1
United States

I spoke with DJI again on Dec 26th.  They opened a case and asked me to send it in.  Sent the mini to their repair facility for investigation on the same day.  Received notification on 1/3 that the repair facility received it.  Status states it will take 1-3 days to assess the issue.  We will see how it goes.
2020-1-5
Use props
Guorium
lvl.4
Australia

I just placed front right props twice and it stopped doing it finally. Then front left did it a bit and I replaced that too. So far 3 flights after the most recent replacement the machine is fine.
2020-1-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

djiuser_Wkr6FNKGJ3z8 Posted at 1-5 08:56
can you help me i have a similar case with my drone

Hi. I am sorry to know that your are experiencing the same issue with your DJI Mavic Mini. For better assistance, kindly please provide a sample photo of the issue for to check and assists you further. Thank you.
2020-1-6
Use props
djiuser_Wkr6FNKGJ3z8
lvl.2
Italy

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-6 14:19
Hi. I am sorry to know that your are experiencing the same issue with your DJI Mavic Mini. For better assistance, kindly please provide a sample photo of the issue for to check and assists you further. Thank you.

I have a video where the problem develops and pictures.
2020-1-6
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules