Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Notes on GPS presicion
824 9 2019-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Billboyheritagesurvey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

I have conducted a topographic survey with the Mavic2 Pro. I was able to check the GPS precision against GCPs:

https://billboyheritagesurvey.wordpress.com/2019/12/10/mapping-with-the-mavic/

I wonder if there are any Mavic pilots out there with similar results?

Bill

2019-12-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interesting article. I have a couple of questions-  how did you take the pictures,  did you do this manually or use something like drone deploy to automate the image collection.  Also what's a TST?  
2019-12-11
Use props
Billboyheritagesurvey
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 12-11 01:20
Interesting article. I have a couple of questions-  how did you take the pictures,  did you do this manually or use something like drone deploy to automate the image collection.  Also what's a TST?

Hi DAFLYs,

Image capture was entirely manual. My understanding of the electronic shutter on the M2P is that it's not suited to shooting on the move so for each shot the drone was stopped, allowed to settle and the shutter released. I have found using the count down on the interval timer at 10s a good way of getting a rgular swath.

Flight automation is of limited value on a site as small as this one. Larger sites would benefit as it can be difficult to judge overlap on some terrain types.

Hope that helps,
B
2019-12-11
Use props
Billboyheritagesurvey
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 12-11 01:20

Oh and TST is a Total Staion Theodolite: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_station
2019-12-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Billboyheritagesurvey Posted at 12-11 11:10
Hi DAFLYs,

Image capture was entirely manual. My understanding of the electronic shutter on the M2P is that it's not suited to shooting on the move so for each shot the drone was stopped, allowed to settle and the shutter released. I have found using the count down on the interval timer at 10s a good way of getting a rgular swath.

Thanks for the follow up.  Ive done a couple of sites for fun that were about the same size, however I used drone deploy to take the photos and plan the flight path and then used webodm to do the stiching,  for me it was for fun and gps accuracy wasn't an issue.
2019-12-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Billboyheritagesurvey Posted at 12-11 11:12
Oh and TST is a Total Staion Theodolite: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_station

thanks,  Ive seen those used loads but never knew what they were called.  Is there somewhere that lists known locations you can measure from?
2019-12-12
Use props
Billboyheritagesurvey
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 12-12 01:18
thanks,  Ive seen those used loads but never knew what they were called.  Is there somewhere that lists known locations you can measure from?

I used A GPS co-ordinate from the TOLP via Airdata to derive a value for the start point of the base line.
2019-12-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Billboyheritagesurvey Posted at 12-12 05:46
I used A GPS co-ordinate from the TOLP via Airdata to derive a value for the start point of the base line.

Doesn't Airdata get its map from google and they say they can be out by up to 15 meters last I heard.
2019-12-12
Use props
Billboyheritagesurvey
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 12-12 05:53
Doesn't Airdata get its map from google and they say they can be out by up to 15 meters last I heard.

I'm not sure if the Ardata co-ordinate is from the drone GPS or Google but I had to start somewhere!
2019-12-12
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for sharing this informative information that you had provided. Also, hope that you could get the best recommendation from our fellow members here in Forum. Thank you for your continued support!
2019-12-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules