N3 Flight Controller Magnetic Interference Problem
3265 2 2019-12-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lureking
lvl.1

United States

Hello,

I am an engineering science graduate student working on a project I started as an undergrad my senior year. Basically, I build a 3X3 foot drone that weighs 38 pounds. See Figure 1.
assemledsmallfielsize.jpeg

Fig. 1. 90% assembled drone. Electronics fully assembled.

I am using a 14.8V battery, 5cm motors, 60A ESCs, etc. I have been getting magnetic interference during setup. See Figure 2.

compas mfi.png

Fig. 2. Note also that the GPS is labeled as A3. This photo is prior to sending it to DJI for repair.

I sent out the N3 to DJI for repair, and apparently they fixed it because they sent it back. I doubt it was even broken in the first place, because when I loaded it up in DJI Assistant V2, it gives me the same error as in Figure 2 as well as the N3 GPS instead being noted as "A3", so I'm guessing DJI technicians used an A3 to test/fix it; but that's a-whole-nother issue by itself.

I bought some Faraday Fabric from Amazon and I have shielded the flight controller and GPS from the battery. See Figure 3, through 6.

Faraday fabric (1).jpeg

Fig. 3. Faraday Fabric from Amazon.

Faraday fabric under gps (1).jpeg

Fig. 4. Three layers of fabric shielding the bottom of the GPS.

Faraday fabric on top of battery (1).jpeg

Fig. 5. 3+ layers layering the power distribution board (pdb).

Faraday fabric under flight controller and on top of battery (1).jpeg

Fig. 6. More fabric layering the battery itself.

As of right now I don't know whether this eliminates the problem or not, because my desktop won't connect to the N3 for some reason (yet another problem), and the only laptop I have is so slow I bought it for $100 two years ago, so it's extremely outdated and takes forever to load up. But I'm preparing for the worst by typing this up as my laptop boots, and I'm going to post this regardless, because I want to share this whether it goes good or bad.

In either case, if you see anything wrong with my setup, or have any suggestions, please don't hesitate to let me know. I appreciate your feedback and suggestions. And it looks like my laptop is ready, so I'll follow up with the results.

2019-12-11
Use props
Lureking
lvl.1

United States

Taking it outside with Faraday fabric installed didn't work. Sorry about the GIF quality, 1Kb upload limit.

gifquickEandMInterference.gif

Could possibly be a faulty N3 @dji

2019-12-11
Use props
alduxvm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1001352 ft
Canada

Did you manage to properly calibrate it?

I'm having similar issues: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=208911
2020-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules