2335 32 2019-12-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Callatis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 511112 ft
Canada

Hi everyone,
sorry if this question was posted before, I tried searching and I could not find the answer I was looking for.
I have a drone registered in Canada , I have my Basic pilot certificate and next year I we'll be in California. A road trip from San Francisco to San Diego.
I wanted your advise if I can fly my drone there, what are the requirements in order to do that and what are the restrictions?

Thanks a lot!
2019-12-11
Use props
Bob-Mavic Pro Platinum
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Well, first - welcome to California, it is around 40 to 50 degrees in the morning, around 6am and has been getting into the high 60's lately.  IF you are motoring and dealing with our lovely freeway systems, in most cases in the mornings it is traffic traffic.  As for drone flying, I would look to the wooded areas or the thinly occupied beaches to fly.  It would be wise not to draw attention to yourself, and plenty folks don't care too much for drones, but not all to be sure.  Tomorrow and for a day or two there is a large low pressure area up north by San Francisco, with plenty or rain, so check the area.  That is how I would do it.  Hope this helps, fly safe and have fun
2019-12-11
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

I haven't been to San Francisco, but most of San Diego is a no fly zone. I was there
about two weeks ago and couldn't fly at all. I even tried getting approval through Kittyhawk
with no such luck. Maybe someone else will chime in with a better remedy.
2019-12-11
Use props
Bozerker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 85755 ft
Canada

I'm Canadian as well. The wife and I just did a Southern US trip this past summer (flew into San Fran but then headed east into the desert). I'd recommend getting the FAA license first. It's easier than the Canadian license and the rules are much more "common sense". You also need to register the drone (unless it's a mini), but that's a simple online process.

Just do a Google search and you should find the details easy enough. I'm pretty sure the Canadian license has no weight in the US, but as I mentioned, the FAA license is easy enough to get (with some common sense) that you might as well just get it.

Have a good trip.
2019-12-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Woe Posted at 12-11 19:27
I haven't been to San Francisco, but most of San Diego is a no fly zone. I was there
about two weeks ago and couldn't fly at all. I even tried getting approval through Kittyhawk

I would love to fly the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.
2019-12-12
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 12-12 01:51

That makes two of us.
2019-12-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Woe Posted at 12-12 05:25
That makes two of us.

Its been a while since I was last there but I nearly got arrested by the gold gate bridge,  I followed some suffers down a slow under the bridge to photograph them but apparently its OK for the surfers to go down there but the local law enforcement didnt like me doing it.
2019-12-12
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 12-12 05:36
Its been a while since I was last there but I nearly got arrested by the gold gate bridge,  I followed some suffers down a slow under the bridge to photograph them but apparently its OK for the surfers to go down there but the local law enforcement didnt like me doing it.

That's good to know, since I have a trip there next month.
2019-12-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Woe Posted at 12-12 08:25
That's good to know, since I have a trip there next month.

Very jealous of your trip. Although I’d like it a little warmer. If they are still there, at each end of the bridge we’re small car parks that would be perfect to take off and fly from.
2019-12-12
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out. Hope that you could get the best recommendation from our valued DJI members here that currently located in California. You may also want to check the location where you want to fly if this is inside the NO-FLY zone using the link below. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other questions. Thank you for your support!

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map
2019-12-12
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 12-12 08:42
Very jealous of your trip. Although I’d like it a little warmer. If they are still there, at each end of the bridge we’re small car parks that would be perfect to take off and fly from.

Compared to Oregon, San Fran will be like spring weather.
It's cold and raining here and usually last a few months. We like
to get away from the rain. I'm headed to Palm Springs in the
morning.
2019-12-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Woe Posted at 12-12 09:26

Looking forward to some Palm Springs footage and photos.
2019-12-12
Use props
Bob-Mavic Pro Platinum
lvl.4
United States

Woe Posted at 12-12 05:25
That makes two of us.

Hey, count me in on that as well
2019-12-12
Use props
Bob-Mavic Pro Platinum
lvl.4
United States

You might try to find Aaron Avila on this board, he posts videos from time to time, and I think he is in the San Francisco area.  I know in one of his videos he has a large photo of the Bridge, on the wall behind him.
2019-12-12
Use props
Bob-Mavic Pro Platinum
lvl.4
United States

Woe Posted at 12-12 09:26

Have a nice time in Palm Springs.  How is your Mini 4 doing?
2019-12-12
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 12-12 09:34
Looking forward to some Palm Springs footage and photos.

2019-12-12
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Canada

Woe Posted at 12-11 19:27

Thanks Woe! Which app to use to identify the No fly zones? Air map?
2019-12-12
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Bob-Mavic Pro Platinum Posted at 12-12 13:52
You might try to find Aaron Avila on this board, he posts videos from time to time, and I think he is in the San Francisco area.  I know in one of his videos he has a large photo of the Bridge, on the wall behind him.

I subscribe to his channel so I will shoot him a PM and see if he
can give me some advice.
2019-12-12
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Callatis Posted at 12-12 16:40
Thanks Woe! Which app to use to identify the No fly zones? Air map?

I use kitty hawk and the UAV forecast app.
2019-12-12
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-12 09:20
Hi, thank you for reaching out. Hope that you could get the best recommendation from our valued DJI members here that currently located in California. You may also want to check the location where you want to fly if this is inside the NO-FLY zone using the link below. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other questions. Thank you for your support!

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

Thanks for the geo-map!
2019-12-12
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Callatis Posted at 12-12 16:48
Thanks for the geo-map!

You are always welcome!
2019-12-13
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Canada

Thanks again everyone for your answers!
So I need to register my drone, don't fly in National Parks or anywhere else there is a No Fly Zone indicated by available maps or applications.
What about flying near or above people, vehicles or boats?
2019-12-16
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Canada

If someone else is looking for the answer, this is what I found, beside registering the drone with FAA:

Fly at or below 400 feet
Be aware of airspace requirements and restrictions
Stay away from surrounding obstacles
Keep your drone within sight
Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
Never fly over groups of people
Never fly over stadiums or sports events
Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
Never fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol
But if you comb through the FAA's drone literature, you'll find additional safety guidelines:

Keep your drone in eyesight, and use an observer to assist if needed.
Remain at least 25 feet from individuals and vulnerable property.
Do not fly in adverse weather conditions (high winds, reduced visibility, etc).
Do not fly near or over sensitive infrastructure or property (power stations, water treatment facilities, correctional facilities, heavily
traveled roadways, government facilities, etc).
Do not conduct surveillance or photograph persons in areas where there is an expectation of privacy without the individual’s permission.
2019-12-29
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Canada

I just registered myself at https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#/
It's weird I wasn't asked about the drone model and Serial Number. I got the registration number I have to apply to my drone.
2020-2-8
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Download B4ufly app it will help you out.
2020-2-8
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Canada

Lucas775 Posted at 2-8 14:19
Download B4ufly app it will help you out.

Thanks, I have it.
Is the app going to show the FAA, the state and the local drone regulations?
2020-2-9
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Callatis Posted at 2-9 07:19
Thanks, I have it.
Is the app going to show the FAA, the state and the local drone regulations?

No I don't think so, but at least you will know that you are safe to fly and if you happen to be flying around the "HOLLYWOOD" sign don't go over 600 ft as I found there is a restrictions around that are  for flying that high.
2020-2-9
Use props
ckloke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 828261 ft
United States

Suggest to fly in Twin Peaks San Francisco.
Also use the coastal drive from San Francisco to LA and make sure drop take some aerial shots of the Bixby Bridge and Mcway Falls, I did that on Dec.
2020-2-10
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Canada

ckloke Posted at 2-10 07:11
Suggest to fly in Twin Peaks San Francisco.
Also use the coastal drive from San Francisco to LA and make sure drop take some aerial shots of the Bixby Bridge and Mcway Falls, I did that on Dec.

Thanks! I noticed Twin Peaks is very close to a NFZ and there is a lot of National Marine Sanctuaries around the cost line.
2020-2-10
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

DAFlys Posted at 2019-12-12 01:51

You will probably lose your drone doing that... it's a big fat designated NFZ mandated by the FAA specifically, with a list of other landmarks around the US.
Also:
- Some cities ban drones in their airspace. For example - Santa Monica, including the pier.
- all city parks in Los Angeles, including the Griffith Observatory, are prohibited by the city.
- Los angeles and the SF Bay Area have multiple airports and heliports.
2020-2-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S Posted at 2-10 13:13
You will probably lose your drone doing that... it's a big fat designated NFZ mandated by the FAA specifically, with a list of other landmarks around the US.
Also:
- Some cities ban drones in their airspace. For example - Santa Monica, including the pier.

Curious,  its not shown on the fly safe map.  Thanks for the info.
2020-2-11
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Canada

Also:

Thanks for the feedback!
2020-2-17
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Canada

Also:

Thanks. In the meantime I checked few cities by-laws and the only place I know I can legally fly is on the Big Sur as long as you stay away from the high tide line. I got this info from the MBNS.

We were suppose to leave tomorrow for LA but we had to cancel our vacation due to COVID-19
2020-3-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules