Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New SUA classification for UK
2613 16 2019-12-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Billboyheritagesurvey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

Request to DJI:

CAN THE MAVIC Pro 2 BE EQUIPPED WITH A 'LOW SPEED MODE' BEFORE 1ST JULY 2020?

CAN THE MAVIC Pro 2 BE EQUIPPED WITH REMOTE IDENTIFICATION BEFORE 1ST JULY 2020?

The new UK regulations will have a specific operational area allowed for aircraft fitted with a low speed mode:

'C2 – Class C2 Aircraft can be flown in the A2 category if you possess and A2 CofC certification (A2 Category proof of competency, see the last article!) or alternatively in the A3 category that operates far away from people. These aircraft are:

• Less than 4kg MTOM
  • Designed to minimise injury to people
  • Equipped with a low-speed mode’ which limits speed to 3m/s or 6.7 mph (Not Tripod mode!)
  • Meet statutory noise limits,
  • Meet height limits
  • Must also meet requirements for remote identification and geo-awareness systems.'

Could these modifications be made to existing aircraft in firmware?
Will we need to buy a Mavic pro3 to meet the Class C2 requirement?

Any information on this would be useful,

Bill

2019-12-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Low speed mode should be easy enough to add.  Also the drone already broadcasts an electronic ID which can be detected with AeroScope, a DJI product for drone detection, so we'd need to know if its a specific way of broadcasting like ADS-B.
2019-12-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Bill. Thank you for these information and for these suggestions you have shared. I will forward these suggestions to the designated DJI department for further attention and evaluation. All significant suggestions or requests will be implemented after the evaluation of the DJI Engineers. For the latest updates on the DJI Mavic 2 Pro, please stay tuned to our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your valued support.
2019-12-13
Use props
Billboyheritagesurvey
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-13 08:53
Hello and good day Bill. Thank you for these information and for these suggestions you have shared. I will forward these suggestions to the designated DJI department for further attention and evaluation. All significant suggestions or requests will be implemented after the evaluation of the DJI Engineers. For the latest updates on the DJI Mavic 2 Pro, please stay tuned to our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your valued support.

Keep us posted. I'm keen to know I can conform my Mavic Pro 2 in class C2.
2019-12-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

M2 has Remote ID already , there will be a moratorium on older drones already in the hands of users .
2019-12-13
Use props
Billboyheritagesurvey
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-13 08:53
Hello and good day Bill. Thank you for these information and for these suggestions you have shared. I will forward these suggestions to the designated DJI department for further attention and evaluation. All significant suggestions or requests will be implemented after the evaluation of the DJI Engineers. For the latest updates on the DJI Mavic 2 Pro, please stay tuned to our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your valued support.

I see I have  a UUID function on the Mavic since the last firmware update.  That's a start.
2019-12-13
Use props
Billboyheritagesurvey
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 12-13 10:21
M2 has Remote ID already , there will be a moratorium on older drones already in the hands of users .

OK so will DJI add a 'slow flight' mode or will that be a Mavic 3 feature?
2019-12-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Billboyheritagesurvey Posted at 12-13 12:10
OK so will DJI add a 'slow flight' mode or will that be a Mavic 3 feature?

Beginner mode should take care of that.

Having attended many seminars and meetings on this matter, owning an older drone will not disqualify you from using it until it’s end of life .
2019-12-13
Use props
Billboyheritagesurvey
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 12-13 12:21
Beginner mode should take care of that.

Having attended many seminars and meetings on this matter, owning an older drone will not disqualify you from using it until it’s end of life .

Does beginner mode limit speed to 3m/s? I read elsewhere its 6.7m/s.
2019-12-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Billboyheritagesurvey Posted at 12-13 12:26
Does beginner mode limit speed to 3m/s? I read elsewhere its 6.7m/s.

I’m not sure but tripod does .
2019-12-13
Use props
Billboyheritagesurvey
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 12-13 12:51
I’m not sure but tripod does .

Yes: P13 of the user manual:

'T-mode (Tripod) : T-mode is based on P-mode and the flight speed is limited . which makes the aircraft more stable during shooting. The maximum flight speed , maximum ascend speed and maximum decent speed are 1m/s.'

So I expect the CAA will want is labeled as 'Low Speed Mode' to comply.

Looks like the M2P is likely to be classed as C2 for the whole A2 operating area provided they UUID system is compliant.
2019-12-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Billboyheritagesurvey Posted at 12-13 10:04
Keep us posted. I'm keen to know I can conform my Mavis Pro 2 in class C2.

Thank you for the reply Bill. I will definitely keep you posted once I have the information needed. Thank you for your patience and support.
2019-12-14
Use props
SiriusGen
New
Germany

Any news or update on whether the Mavic 2 Pro or other series will have this "low speed mode" rolled out?
2020-3-22
Use props
Billboyheritagesurvey
lvl.4
United Kingdom

SiriusGen Posted at 3-22 11:34
Any news or update on whether the Mavic 2 Pro or other series will have this "low speed mode" rolled out?

No news yet and the UK CAA have been directed by the Minister for Transport to break with EASA which is what the proposed new regs are.
2020-3-22
Use props
BigBird-2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 883645 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very interesting topic, will be following it for sure.
2020-3-22
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Billboyheritagesurvey Posted at 2019-12-14 00:50
Yes: P13 of the user manual:

'T-mode (Tripod) : T-mode is based on P-mode and the flight speed is limited . which makes the aircraft more stable during shooting. The maximum flight speed , maximum ascend speed and maximum decent speed are 1m/s.'

M2 (M1,MA,Inspire 1 and 2, Phantoms) are all classed as legacy.  Not any of the new classes.
Certification isnt retrospective.
2020-3-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Billboyheritagesurvey Posted at 3-22 11:43
No news yet and the UK CAA have been directed by the Minister for Transport to break with EASA which is what the proposed new regs are.

It looks like this will happen later in the year but from 1st July UK will still be under the Auspices of EASA, and as things stand now a lot of this may change with all we’re facing now .
2020-3-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules