House in no fly zone, no inside flying?
953 9 2019-12-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_hbl1pCNHVqXI
lvl.1

Canada

Hey y'all.  I'm a future drone pilot waiting on the sidelines while my Mavic Mini is on it's way.  So I'm reading all I need to know to fly this thing legaly and safely and I stumbled upon a Reddit thread that worried me.  I live in Montréal (Canada) inside YUL's "no fly zone".  I have no intention of flying it outside my house or in any restricted areas for that matter, but is it true that the aircraft won't even power up inside my house because I'm in that zone?  Is it true that the DJI app has a built-in feature that would prevent me from doing so?

As a reference, here's Transport Canada's drone site flight map: https://cnrc.canada.ca/en/drone-tool/

Thanks!

Y

2019-12-13
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Inside you will have no GPS so it won't know its inside a no fly zone, so you will be fine to fly.
2019-12-13
Use props
GaryArt1
lvl.2
United States

bjr981s Posted at 12-13 20:36
Inside you will have no GPS so it won't know its inside a no fly zone, so you will be fine to fly.

Not true.  Mine picks up GPS fine indoors and will not allow me to take off being I am in a authorization zone.
2019-12-13
Use props
djiuser_hbl1pCNHVqXI
lvl.1

Canada

GaryArt1 Posted at 12-13 21:52
Not true.  Mine picks up GPS fine indoors and will not allow me to take off being I am in a authorization zone.

Argl!  If the GPS connect inside my house that's a bummer, that would ruin my plan for training before I do outside...  and it also means I'll always have to drive away from home to fly period. Let's hope the signal is too weak.  That or I'll wrap my house in aluminium!

Anyone else has an experience to share?

Is there a way to disable something on the drone or in the app if the GPS signal works inside?
2019-12-14
Use props
GaryArt1
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_hbl1pCNHVqXI Posted at 12-14 12:27
Argl!  If the GPS connect inside my house that's a bummer, that would ruin my plan for training before I do outside...  and it also means I'll always have to drive away from home to fly period. Let's hope the signal is too weak.  That or I'll wrap my house in aluminium!

Anyone else has an experience to share?

The trick (or compromise) is you can fly it indoors as long as you only use controller and not smartphone.  It seems the smartphone is what recognizes the NFZs.  Now it is a big compromise because you lose FPV but at least you can test it out and fly it around.
2019-12-14
Use props
Droneflier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1811322 ft
South Africa

Mount a magnet above the GPS receiver and see if that works
2019-12-15
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Droneflier Posted at 12-15 07:26
Mount a magnet above the GPS receiver and see if that works

That would be a bad idea, That would just effect the Compass.

Try some tinfoil over the top of the drone.
2019-12-21
Use props
fificap
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55531 ft
France

I'm living in a red zone, i cannot fly in my garden, but i do inside in my kitchen!
2019-12-21
Use props
Funn 1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 168999 ft
  • >>>
United States

Unless you have a lot of room inside your house you will get bored quick and at more risk of hitting something. our great room is 500 square feet with 25 ft. ceilings and it get old quick,  just fly outside and keep it on beginner mode.
2019-12-21
Use props
AE1M
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1862884 ft
United States

This is true!  I live in New England and last night the Patriots played the Bills nearby.  I powered up my MM inside and got an immediate message about the Restricted Zone that went into effect near the stadium!
2019-12-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules