Exporting 2.7k in iMovie?
9965 8 2019-12-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CarRamRod
lvl.2
Flight distance : 81742 ft
United States

So, I'm asking this here because of the 2.7k camera on the Mini. Sorry if this is posted somewhere else, but I'm having trouble finding recent info on this. I'm also a beginner, sorry.

When exporting in iMovie (sharing to file) my only option is 1080p. I've read that this is a known...... thing. People have said to insert a 4k file into the project (or something like that) and then it will let you export in 4k. My problem is I don't have a 4k camera and this seems like an annoying thing to have to do. I've tried using Quicktime to convert the unedited Mini files to 4k first, but it holds onto it's 2.7k resolution. Am I missing something or has anyone found a way around this? Has anyone found another (free preferably) video editor for Mac that can do this without all the fuss? Thanks!

2019-12-15
Use props
swiftwindwalker
lvl.3
Flight distance : 177697 ft
United Kingdom

Answer from the Apple support

I am afraid it's a little more complicated with iMovie.

iMovie does recognize and exports 2.7K video, just not when it's in a project on a timeline. If you select an imported 2.7K clip, it will export as 2.7K (it says 4K but shows the correct 2.7K resolution).

It goes wrong when you add the 2.7K clip to a project/timeline.

You can even use a workaround by placing a 4K clip (just a second is enough) as the first clip in a project, iMovie recognizes 4K and the project becomes a 4K project, if you then add all your 2.7K clips, edit the project and remove the 4K clip, it will still show as a 4K project and you will be able to export your 2.7K footage as a 4K movie.  

Apple Support Link

You can download a sample 4K video from the web, you don't need to have a camera that records 4k. Search on google.
2019-12-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sample 4k movie here - https://www.pexels.com/video/dro ... s-in-a-city-854220/
2019-12-16
Use props
stubbietubbie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 119288 ft
Australia

Upscale the file through HandBrake then edit as you see fit in iMovie?
2019-12-16
Use props
CarRamRod
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for the responses. I also found the same Apple support page swiftwindwalker. After I posted this, I realized I do have a 4k camera (sort of) in the stills of the Mini. I forgot about this. I started a new project and just put in the stills, tried an export, and the 4k option was there. I went and added one of the photos into the front of my existing project, no 4k option. I then created another new project and added the photo first then my video, no 4k. It's kinda weird Apple wouldn't support a middle of the road and fairly common resolution, but it is Apple and logic escapes them at times. I'll try the upscale option next to see how that works out.
2019-12-16
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good information here, thanks for everyone's answers!!
2019-12-16
Use props
CarRamRod
lvl.2
United States

At any rate, the 1080p isn't too bad really. I did make a very rookie video of my first drone flight and the first time I've used iMovie in 10 years. About 40 minutes of video, less than 4 useable! I'm still having a hard time moving the gimbal in the correct direction and adjusting the exposure. The lighting was very difficult (for me).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ANGyAB5Ccw
2019-12-16
Use props
dutch937
lvl.3
Flight distance : 322461 ft
Canada

CarRamRod Posted at 12-16 07:19
At any rate, the 1080p isn't too bad really. I did make a very rookie video of my first drone flight and the first time I've used iMovie in 10 years. About 40 minutes of video, less than 4 useable! I'm still having a hard time moving the gimbal in the correct direction and adjusting the exposure. The lighting was very difficult (for me).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ANGyAB5Ccw

Hi, I am very new to editing video, as my background is editing photos, so I commonly used Photoshop and Lightroom. I just tried Wondershare Filmora9 and then decided to buy it for a year. It's under $50 for the year and I found it very easy to use... I just watched a short tutorial on YouTube and voila. I suggest trying it out and seeing if it works for you.
2019-12-16
Use props
CarRamRod
lvl.2
United States

dutch937 Posted at 12-16 07:31
Hi, I am very new to editing video, as my background is editing photos, so I commonly used Photoshop and Lightroom. I just tried Wondershare Filmora9 and then decided to buy it for a year. It's under $50 for the year and I found it very easy to use... I just watched a short tutorial on YouTube and voila. I suggest trying it out and seeing if it works for you.

I've seen Filmora in lists of best video editors. I very briefly tried OpenShot (free, open source) yesterday, but wasn't too impressed at the interface yet. I'll take a look at Filmora, thanks!
2019-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules