Can I fly the Mavic Mini without a smart-phone?
12Next >
56563 52 2019-12-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_RZKOx68fX1iO
lvl.2

United States

I recently bought a Mavic Mini that I can't fly. The DJI Fly app requires not only a higher version than Android 6.0 (specified), but also requires ARM V8, with 64-bit capability (not specified). My mid to low end Samsung Galaxy (Pure) has ARM v8, but my cellular provider does not implement the 64 bit function. Since I recently upgarded phones (to accomodate my GoPro remote capabilities), I cannot get a deal on a 64-bit smart phone for two more months (during which time my Mavic Mini is essentially grounded).

I understand this drone can be flown without a smartphone attached to the controller (once the product has been registered and the aircraft and controller paired). My question is this: is there a way to fly my Mavic Mini with only the controller and no smart phone? Thanks in advance for any ideas or tips.
2019-12-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for reaching out. Yes, you may use only the remote controller of the DJI Mavic Mini when flying the drone. It will fly just fine without a mobile device attached, but you won't have access to the intelligent flight modes though as they need the DJI Fly application. Thank you.
2019-12-15
Use props
Just Bill
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9974 ft
United States

Your answer is above but I can also add you had better have good eyes!  The color of MM is one that fades away very fast in overcast conditions.  
2019-12-15
Use props
kiminx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 149032 ft
Indonesia

try to use airplane mode in your mobile phone then connect using dji fly. hopefully can work.
2019-12-15
Use props
swiftwindwalker
lvl.3
Flight distance : 177697 ft
United Kingdom

Just Bill Posted at 12-15 18:41
Your answer is above but I can also add you had better have good eyes!  The color of MM is one that fades away very fast in overcast conditions.

Agree, its very easy to lose MM when its up there - I would recommend flying very low and with clear line of sight, else you are basically flying blind.
2019-12-16
Use props
69th Drone Detachment
lvl.2

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-15 11:28
Hello and good day. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for reaching out. Yes, you may use only the remote controller of the DJI Mavic Mini when flying the drone. It will fly just fine without a mobile device attached, but you won't have access to the intelligent flight modes though as they need the DJI Fly application. Thank you.

Thank you!
2019-12-19
Use props
69th Drone Detachment
lvl.2

United States

swiftwindwalker Posted at 12-16 04:28
Agree, its very easy to lose MM when its up there - I would recommend flying very low and with clear line of sight, else you are basically flying blind.

Thanks. Since I am effectively grounded for a smartphone until February (my cell provider won't offer another cheap upgrade until 2/10/20), I plan to 'fly blind' at low altitudes and close to me, to get better at basic maneuvering. It might be more boring (and quite a bit less picturesque), but at least I won't be totally grounded, and will have a chance to increase my skills until I can get back to flying normally.

Thanks again...I did use my daughter's Galaxy S10+ to fly it yesterday, and good some ok footage at Red Rocks park, here in Colorado. It's on my you tube channel (69th drone detachment). Cheers and happy holidays!
2019-12-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

You are very much welcome. If you have any other inquiries or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you. Thank you.
2019-12-22
Use props
IndyRick
lvl.2

United States

How do you register the drone without running DJI Fly?  I've updated the firmware with DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic, and I can control the gimbal with my controller (so I know it's paired), but it won't start.  I figure the registration is my holdup (besides getting a 64 bit OS).
2019-12-22
Use props
IndyRick
lvl.2

United States

IndyRick Posted at 12-22 11:01
How do you register the drone without running DJI Fly?  I've updated the firmware with DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic, and I can control the gimbal with my controller (so I know it's paired), but it won't start.  I figure the registration is my holdup (besides getting a 64 bit OS).

My solution was to order what looked like a compatible device from Amazon for about $89:

ZTE BLADE Z MAX Z982

2019-12-22
Use props
djiuser_yqylZmbTqeuK
New

Czechia

So, as I understand it - as my Android 8.0, ARM v8 phone, Samsung Galaxy A320 (aka "A3 (2017)") runs on Exynos 7870, which is (as far as I could google it) set on 32-bit, it will never be supported...?

If that is the case, which phablet would you suggest to buy as a controller-attachment..?
Stock or custom ROM...?

I'll use it only for flying, even SG A320, despite smallest mid-range phablet on market, is slightly too big to be carried around in pocket.
2019-12-25
Use props
renbrant
lvl.2

Brazil

69th Drone Detachment Posted at 12-19 07:19
Thanks. Since I am effectively grounded for a smartphone until February (my cell provider won't offer another cheap upgrade until 2/10/20), I plan to 'fly blind' at low altitudes and close to me, to get better at basic maneuvering. It might be more boring (and quite a bit less picturesque), but at least I won't be totally grounded, and will have a chance to increase my skills until I can get back to flying normally.

Thanks again...I did use my daughter's Galaxy S10+ to fly it yesterday, and good some ok footage at Red Rocks park, here in Colorado. It's on my you tube channel (69th drone detachment). Cheers and happy holidays!

To not update the Galaxy S10+ OS version (v10) when suggested, because the DJI Fly does not support it.
2019-12-25
Use props
nguyenhunga5
lvl.1

Vietnam

Mavic Mini can fly without a phone, I already fly without a phone, but very hard to control. Because MM very small.
2019-12-25
Use props
IndyRick
lvl.2

United States

nguyenhunga5 Posted at 12-25 07:59
Mavic Mini can fly without a phone, I already fly without a phone, but very hard to control. Because MM very small.

It will fly without a phone out to a distance of about 60 yards then hover.  You can fly within that tadius, and the RTH button works.  Howevet, AFAIK you MUST use a supported device running Fly to register the MM before it will even start.
2019-12-25
Use props
InspektorGaDJIT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1495538 ft
Sweden

OK. IF i have a mobile: Do I need Internet connection?
2019-12-25
Use props
Crummett
lvl.3
Flight distance : 36929 ft
United Kingdom

InspektorGaDJIT Posted at 12-25 14:11

Not to fly, no
2019-12-25
Use props
zappy49
Second Officer
Flight distance : 446900 ft
United Kingdom

InspektorGaDJIT Posted at 12-25 14:11

only on the first flight after that you only need internet for maps
2019-12-25
Use props
69th Drone Detachment
lvl.2

United States

Just Bill Posted at 12-15 18:41
Your answer is above but I can also add you had better have good eyes!  The color of MM is one that fades away very fast in overcast conditions.

I've flown about 20 batteries without controller, since I started this thread. Yes, the Mini can be hard to see, but...when flying without DJI Fly, there is a approximately 60 foot height/distance limitation imposed. This is actually okay with me, since (like you said) the aircraft can be hard to see and I don't want to go too far without telemetry.
2019-12-25
Use props
renbrant
lvl.2

Brazil

As it is a nice piece of hardware with junk software, I'll wait a while to see if they solve before returning it and ask for my money back.
I think two weeks is a reasonable time for them to fix it. What do you think?
2019-12-26
Use props
renbrant
lvl.2

Brazil

69th Drone Detachment Posted at 12-25 17:26
I've flown about 20 batteries without controller, since I started this thread. Yes, the Mini can be hard to see, but...when flying without DJI Fly, there is a approximately 60 foot height/distance limitation imposed. This is actually okay with me, since (like you said) the aircraft can be hard to see and I don't want to go too far without telemetry.

Do you know if DJI guarantees a new drone if you lose your Mavic Mini on a flight without telemetry?
I guess not because you won't have the logs to prove what happened, so the risk is 100% yours. It would be interesting to know from DJI that.
2019-12-26
Use props
NerdyGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 156867 ft
  • >>>
United States

renbrant Posted at 12-26 06:15
Do you know if DJI guarantees a new drone if you lose your Mavic Mini on a flight without telemetry?
I guess not because you won't have the logs to prove what happened, so the risk is 100% yours. It would be interesting to know from DJI that.

I know for a FACT they will not.  I lost my Spark & they didn't do a thing.
2019-12-26
Use props
NerdyGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 156867 ft
  • >>>
United States

renbrant Posted at 12-26 06:12
As it is a nice piece of hardware with junk software, I'll wait a while to see if they solve before returning it and ask for my money back.
I think two weeks is a reasonable time for them to fix it. What do you think?

No, you should return it.   DJI is focused ONLY on products & doesn't care at ALL about any issues you have with them.   They do things their way & they can't be changed.
2019-12-26
Use props
renbrant
lvl.2

Brazil

The issue has not yet been resolved.
I wish you all a happy new year (without flying your drone)!
2019-12-30
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

IndyRick Posted at 12-22 19:38
My solution was to order what looked like a compatible device from Amazon for about $89:

ZTE BLADE Z MAX Z982

How do you like that unit?  Nice display?  Bright enough to see well outdoors?  I'm tempted to get one just to have a dedicated display so I don't have to mess with my phone every time.
2019-12-30
Use props
djiuser_KPTXwZKQtJ2K
lvl.1

United States

renbrant Posted at 2019-12-25 06:19
To not update the Galaxy S10+ OS version (v10) when suggested, because the DJI Fly does not support it.

My note 10 with latest updates works fine with my MM
2020-1-5
Use props
djiuser_ZfaFb0APdo1G
New

United States

IndyRick Posted at 2019-12-22 19:38

ZTE BLADE Z MAX Z982

Did this Blade thing solve your problems? I've been looking for a dedicated screen for my platinum Pro and mm so I don't have to tie up my phone when flying. T I A
2020-1-11
Use props
renbrant
lvl.2

United States

2020-1-12
Use props
WrongWay Feldman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19885 ft
United States

Have you tried going back to Android 9 on your S10?
2020-1-13
Use props
djiuser_LqT5GXV65rY7
New
Flight distance : 4370 ft
Australia

I’m having issues with the gimbal being stuck. When I start the Mavic Mini the gimbal goes through all the motions. When I connect to the DJI fly app it comes up gimbal  stuck or motor over heating.
2020-2-15
Use props
djiuser_LqT5GXV65rY7
New
Flight distance : 4370 ft
Australia

WrongWay Feldman Posted at 1-13 02:23
Have you tried going back to Android 9 on your S10?

No I haven’t. I have an iPhone X. Should I try that.
2020-2-15
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

renbrant Posted at 2019-12-26 06:15
Do you know if DJI guarantees a new drone if you lose your Mavic Mini on a flight without telemetry?

Good question. There is telemetry data saved on the drone itself but if it's lost, maybe not.

2020-2-15
Use props
Xyster101
lvl.1

United States

How does one use the controller without a phone? Just turn on both and then push the sticks down and together to start the motors? I did not know i could fly without the phone.  Will it still record to the memory card?
2020-2-16
Use props
djiuser_c3H84HC5Sy0v
New

Philippines

Yeh how though? Its not intuitive or obvious how to take off without the phone.

Ive tried combinations of all the buttons and controller is connected correctly to the drone (green flashing light - ready for take-off)
2020-4-2
Use props
djiuser_c3H84HC5Sy0v
New

Philippines

Never mind, figured it out
2020-4-2
Use props
djiuser_c3H84HC5Sy0v
New

Philippines

Never mind, figured it out
2020-4-2
Use props
djiuser_VwvEK4qSLWFC
New

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2019-12-15 11:28
Hello and good day. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for reaching out. Yes, you may use only the remote controller of the DJI Mavic Mini when flying the drone. It will fly just fine without a mobile device attached, but you won't have access to the intelligent flight modes though as they need the DJI Fly application. Thank you.

How do we connect it without the app?
2020-4-28
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_VwvEK4qSLWFC Posted at 4-28 15:55
How do we connect it without the app?

Turn the drone and remote both on, wait for them to sync. You probably have to manually start motors with diagonally down outward or inward sticks to launch.
2020-4-28
Use props
Dbentzjr
New
United States

This is bull....  If you do this you risk losing the drone.  I just tried it outside my house for a test run, and I got geofenced, ACROSS THE STREET.  I managed to fly over there just fine, but its like the drone set up its waypoint there and even return to home was making it fly further away.  I ended up having to go across the street into my neighbors yard to land and recover this drone.  NEVER fly this thing without a phone.
2020-5-7
Use props
djiuser_4aUrFLVCWxSI
lvl.1

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2019-12-22 10:35
You are very much welcome. If you have any other inquiries or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you. Thank you.

When I fly my MM without a smartphone, I only get about 2-3 minutes of flight time at the 100’ vert x 100’ distance...then it starts to beep and drops to about 2 feet and won’t go any higher.  I can fly at this “grass-burner” level until the battery dies, but if I want to fly higher again (up to 100 feet), I have to land, turn off, and reboot/re-pair, and relaunch...for only 2-3 mins of flight time before it drops to 2’ alt and the whole issue starts over again.  What’s going on?
2020-5-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

djiuser_4aUrFLVCWxSI Posted at 5-23 17:04
When I fly my MM without a smartphone, I only get about 2-3 minutes of flight time at the 100’ vert x 100’ distance...then it starts to beep and drops to about 2 feet and won’t go any higher.  I can fly at this “grass-burner” level until the battery dies, but if I want to fly higher again (up to 100 feet), I have to land, turn off, and reboot/re-pair, and relaunch...for only 2-3 mins of flight time before it drops to 2’ alt and the whole issue starts over again.  What’s going on?

Just wow! Try using a phone you drongo, then you will get messages on the screen telling you what to do.
2020-5-23
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules