Confirmed some of my confusion on "drone" laws
2461 9 2019-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dutch937
lvl.3
Flight distance : 322461 ft
Canada

Much has been writtern and uploaded to YouTube, but I needed to confirm for myself where I could and could not fly the Mavic Mini here in Canada. Really, my only concern was with controlled airspace, since where i live (Toronto), pretty much the entire city is controlled airspace. Please see below email I received when I posed the question to Transport Canada.Sorry if this info has already been clarified by others.

"The 250 g weight threshold was selected to mitigate the risk that a drone would pose to an aircraft and people on the ground, and is a consistent approach taken in several other countries, including the US.
Pilots of micro drones weighing under 250 grams are not required to register their drone or obtain a drone pilot certificate (as it is not applicable under Subpart 1 of Part IX), but must fly in a way that does not endanger the safety of people or other aircraft.  The Canadian Aviation Regulation (CAR) 900.06 states “No person shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system in such a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of any person.”  This regulation is applicable to all RPAS regardless of its weight.
All RPAS/drone pilots (this includes drones under 250 grams) are subject to the Criminal Code as well as all provincial, territorial, and municipal laws governing areas such as privacy and trespassing.
It is best to refer to the Designated Airspace Handbook (published by Nav Canada) as micro drone (less than 250 grams) cannot fly in a Class F or a 5.1 restricted airspace or in airspace that prohibits aircraft or is restricted under CAR 601.16 and 601.17 (examples of these are: Federal Parks, Niagara Falls, Parliament Hill, over prisons, forest fire areas, etc.). If the airspace prohibits “aircraft” than it prohibits sub 250 gram RPAS’s too. "
Regards,
Sonia Wu
Civil Aviation | Aviation civile
Transport Canada | Transports Canada
4900 Yonge Street, 4th Floor, Toronto, Ontario M2N 6A5 | 4900, rue Yonge, 4e étage, Toronto, (Ontario) M2N 6A5
Telephone | Téléphone 416-952-0215 or  1-800-305-2059
Facsimile | Télécopieur 416-952-0196 or 1-877-822-2129
TTY: 1-888-675-6863
Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada

2019-12-18
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

"The 250 g weight threshold was selected to mitigate the risk that a drone would pose to an aircraft and people on the ground...."

Do you believe this statement?  Really?
2019-12-18
Use props
dutch937
lvl.3
Canada

The Saint Posted at 12-18 16:59
"The 250 g weight threshold was selected to mitigate the risk that a drone would pose to an aircraft and people on the ground...."

haha...no, but I can fly it where I live and that's all I needed to know.
2019-12-18
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

The Saint Posted at 12-18 16:59
"The 250 g weight threshold was selected to mitigate the risk that a drone would pose to an aircraft and people on the ground...."

"Do you believe this statement?  Really?"

Not one bloody bit.

From what could be dug up on reason 250 g was picked...
The 250 g weight was picked based upon injuries sustained from (? flying debris ?) nuclear attack which would require hospital treatment.

In short, not applicable to drones.
2019-12-18
Use props
minilou
lvl.3
Canada

I would like to know your opinion, Do you think that flying over people with a mavic mini is considered reckless and dangerous for their safety ,or flying over the neighboring houses ?
2019-12-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The fly safe map shows a big chunk of Toronto as a NFZ - https://www.dji.com/uk/flysafe/geo-map
2019-12-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

minilou Posted at 12-18 19:14
I would like to know your opinion, Do you think that flying over people with a mavic mini is considered reckless and dangerous for their safety ,or flying over the neighboring houses ?

I think in a lot if incidences it would be ok, but if it became the norm then I think we would see many accidents, because mini is fairly light serious damage to adults may not be great, but potential to be great so flying into someone’s face at 30mph is going to do some harm and children would be at a bigger risk of getting hurt than adults.

Avaition safety is all based on risk and drones are treated the same way, if you want to fly over people you need to show you can mitigate the risk, so simple things like being proficient at what you do, height you fly at , provision you’ve made if something goes wrong etc and you would be expected to have all of this down on paper and submitted to FAA or whom ever before they will allow you fly over people, around people again is not going to be easy to get permission .

We have some things like smart features drone etc , I think these are likely to be aloud because at take off you are required to be a certain distance which is the same as normal take off and you are flying away from people.

I look at videos for skydio now on the internet and some of the flying is simply crazy the control over the drone is definitely not safe and I think we might see this drone brought more into line with the drones most of us use.

So I think in a lot of hands it is reasonably safe, but the problem is if you allow it for everyone then trouble is likely to occur and I think those who don’t want or appreciate drones shouldn’t have to put up with them .
2019-12-19
Use props
dutch937
lvl.3
Canada

minilou Posted at 12-18 19:14

Personally, I don't do either and I think no matter how experienced you are, accidents can happen. We are working with electronic equipment and from what I read on this forum, they fail often.
2019-12-19
Use props
IMA_djiuser
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15633 ft
Canada

minilou Posted at 2019-12-18 19:14

Maybe. Maybe not. But you can bet your next week's paycheck that if something happens and things go south, TC will have one more bullet to shoot if they decide to regulate the Mini. For the sake of all of us MM owners, just fly safe and not worry about that great picture.
2020-1-6
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

minilou Posted at 2019-12-18 19:14

Flying over people is pretty dangerous , drone propellers are rotating at 5000 rpm slices through flesh  easily and eyes are soft.
Some of the injuries could have a life long impact.

I wouldn't personally like to injure someone and face the criminal charges and ensuing litigation if I could avoid it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-34936739

https://www.sciencedirect.com/sc ... i/S2451993617303973

Anyone flying a drone or near a drone should have some sort of protective eyewear

2020-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules