Technical question on battery
1316 8 2019-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansd845e849
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1495906 ft
Philippines

I have an inspire 1 but most batteries I have do not limit the propulsion to protect the battery. So they're probably not updated simply.

As a result the voltage went the red level at 3.3x volts and that was very dangerous because I know 3.10 and under is the shut down and cut off, that would have been a disaster.

Mt question is, how do I update multiple batteries to the latest firmware? So I can have the voltage protection limit
2019-12-19
Use props
fansd845e849
lvl.4
Philippines

I found out how to update each battery.
Thanks close thread.
2019-12-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. I am happy to know that you are able to find the resolution for your inquiry and thank you for your valued support.
2019-12-19
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Whoa, hold right there! Healthy battery will never exhibit such drastic voltage drop on any cell. Usually it is a symptom of an aging, exhausted and deteriorating battery. In other words, this battery may not be able to deliver current high enough to trigger propulsion limitation, reacting with voltage drop instead.  Observe voltage on each cell during fast flight, abort if voltage is reaching red zone too easily. Old battery may be still good enough for easy, slow flight, but I'll not risk much.
2019-12-20
Use props
fansd845e849
lvl.4
Philippines

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 12-20 01:26
Whoa, hold right there! Healthy battery will never exhibit such drastic voltage drop on any cell. Usually it is a symptom of an aging, exhausted and deteriorating battery. In other words, this battery may not be able to deliver current high enough to trigger propulsion limitation, reacting with voltage drop instead.  Observe voltage on each cell during fast flight, abort if voltage is reaching red zone too easily. Old battery may be still good enough for easy, slow flight, but I'll not risk much.

I have high cycle batteries but since updating each and all of them, the batteries now limit propulsion to stop battery at 3.4v and prevents going under 3.4v which gives the needed safety.

The only other negative factor would be high temps... 2 years ago with my first inspire v1 with 1360 high altitude prop, I had a battery overheat at 70celsius and because I didn't know it was that hot, I just kept throttle and it failed and went 0 voltage on my live screen and it fell. That battery was not updated and did not limit propulsion.  And after it made landfall the voltage came back but a cell was really off. But my old inspire overheat because of speed mod fw which gave it so much power consumption.

The hot and cold failures that happens at 70 celsius and negative celsius are pretty much the same which drops voltage to 0 and the drone drops. When you mix overtemp with overcurrent (throttle/power) the failure is inevitable.

So this limited propulsion basically limits the battery curent.
2019-12-20
Use props
fansd845e849
lvl.4
Philippines

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 12-20 01:26
But new batteries are definitely the best performing in all aspects. Flight time, temperature, voltage.

Any battery taken care of (stored at 50%)
and flight discharge only to 20%.
Will have good condition even at 50-100 cycles. Most users do not however know or practice these so buying second hand is a bad idea even for low cycles.

A well taken care 100 cycle battery can perform the same or better than a badly taken care 25 cycle battery.

However the limited propulsion makes both new and old batteries safer to use.

So updating each batteries is really important but most people don't know how to update them separately including me in the past haha. Neither does Dji instruct us how to, I only found out how from a Dji staff reply in this forum somewhere.
2019-12-20
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

fansd845e849 Posted at 12-20 18:03
But new batteries are definitely the best performing in all aspects. Flight time, temperature, voltage.

Any battery taken care of (stored at 50%)

OK, so you know more than I was thinking . Yes, old battery will overheat easily as well. However, battery FW update should be performed along with craft FW update ... Why your batteries weren't?

Since you know already how to perform battery FW update separately, why don't you share this knowledge with us?
2019-12-20
Use props
fansd845e849
lvl.4
Philippines

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 12-20 19:52
OK, so you know more than I was thinking . Yes, old battery will overheat easily as well. However, battery FW update should be performed along with craft FW update ... Why your batteries weren't?

Since you know already how to perform battery FW update separately, why don't you share this knowledge with us?
All you have to do is put fw on microsd card and it will update the current battery on the inspire 1.

After that you plug the microsd on your computer and just delete the update results or updated bin file. Then put another battery with fresh fw bin on the microsd.

To know battery finished updating just wait for the solid light to go blinking.
2019-12-20
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

fansd845e849 Posted at 12-20 20:57
All you have to do is put fw on microsd card and it will update the current battery on the inspire 1.

After that you plug the microsd on your computer and just delete the update results or updated bin file. Then put another battery with fresh fw bin on the microsd.

Ah, that's typical method! I thought you've discovered something unknown. Thank you .
2019-12-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules