Question about the Smart Controller and an external monitor
3805 9 2019-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
thehaggardnerd
lvl.1

United States

I just got my first real drone today and I'm so damn excited! I picked up the Mavic 2 Pro with the Smart Controller and I'm looking forward to getting out and flying asap.
Question though... I've went into my HDMI settings and set the HDMI output to camera only. However, when I click the map to full screen on the controller, the camera feed on my external monitor goes super small in the bottom left corner and nothing but black on the rest of the screen. Is there a way to have my map full screen on the controller and a clean camera feed full screen on the external monitor?
Thanks!

2019-12-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to this inquiry. Are you using the clear camera feed setting or the camera feed with the OSD?  For better assistance kindly please provide us a short video for the said concern. Thank you.
2019-12-20
Use props
thehaggardnerd
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for getting back to me.  I'm using the Camera View option in the system HDMI settings.  Is there another setting I should be looking for?

Please check this demonstration of the issue I'm having: https://youtu.be/mQUlOmG4iKA

I appreciate the help.

2019-12-23
Use props
thehaggardnerd
lvl.1

United States

Just following up on this... Does anyone have any info on this?  Thanks.
2020-1-4
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

With your monitor set up , are you trying to fly with a camera view on the monitor and the full size map view on the SC screen at the same time.

I suspect you can't  as the DJI Go4 app doesn't support two separate windows (it toggles between the two) and two separate HDMI outputs, it's a single HDMI feed.
You can get a camera view or map view on both but not one on each screen unfortunately

2020-1-4
Use props
robertmitchellphoto
lvl.3
United States

lannes Posted at 1-4 20:01
With your monitor set up , are you trying to fly with a camera view on the monitor and the full size map view on the SC screen at the same time.

I suspect you can't  as the DJI Go4 app doesn't support two separate windows (it toggles between the two) and two separate HDMI outputs, it's a single HDMI feed.

I was hoping to do the same thing. I bought an external HDMI monitor and it seems to work fine when I have the HDMI output duplicate the smart controller's screen.

I wanted to have the map on the controller and the camera view on the external monitor. Very disappointed that it can't do it.

That should absolutely be a firmware update. The smart controller costs a lot and it would be great if the support and updates reflected that high price tag.

2020-1-8
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

robertmitchellphoto Posted at 1-8 16:34
I was hoping to do the same thing. I bought an external HDMI monitor and it seems to work fine when I have the HDMI output duplicate the smart controller's screen.

I wanted to have the map on the controller and the camera view on the external monitor. Very disappointed that it can't do it.

It would be a great feature for the well heeled, but it does make for a heavy and cumbersome set up,  unless your using a tripod.

How are you attaching the external screen to the SC , what sort of mount are you using ?
2020-1-8
Use props
robertmitchellphoto
lvl.3
United States

lannes Posted at 1-8 16:39
It would be a great feature for the well heeled, but it does make for a heavy and cumbersome set up,  unless your using a tripod.

How are you attaching the external screen to the SC , what sort of mount are you using ?

Sure, it's heavier than normal, but not a big deal at all. I'm a photographer and I'm used to carrying a DSLR with a vertical grip and 70-200mm f/2.8 lens all day.

The DJI rig is lighter than that.

I'm using the LifTHOR smart controller mount, which is a beautiful and well crafted accessory. It holds the external monitor perfectly.
2020-1-8
Use props
robertmitchellphoto
lvl.3
United States

robertmitchellphoto Posted at 1-8 17:06
Sure, it's heavier than normal, but not a big deal at all. I'm a photographer and I'm used to carrying a DSLR with a vertical grip and 70-200mm f/2.8 lens all day.

The DJI rig is lighter than that.

Just to make this even more bizarre and frustrating, check this out.

Normally, when you set the home point in DJI Go 4, there is an audio confirmation stating that the home point has been updated.

When you connect an HDMI cable to an external monitor, it disables the local audio and sound is heard through the HDMI monitor... BUT... GET THIS.... when yo set the home point, the notification is that the "Product" has been updated, not the home point. Seriously??? Looks like the Smart Controller needs a new name or a firmware update.. lolol

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the Smart Controller, but it could use some work.
2020-1-8
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

robertmitchellphoto Posted at 1-8 17:09
Just to make this even more bizarre and frustrating, check this out.

Normally, when you set the home point in DJI Go 4, there is an audio confirmation stating that the home point has been updated.

DJI always do the bare minimum of development when it relates to external peripherals, just head over the the Crystal Sky sub forum to see the list of issues and unhappy owners.

DJI always just throw things over the fence for a product release, spend two years sorting out the bugs and issues with firmware upgrades and then they discontinue it.
It's part of the business model to just get the cash in at first and then offer limited support until a new model is released, which then diverts the resources away from resolving the old issues still exisiting.

2020-1-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules