Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Mini CE how to extend range
12Next >
34748 40 2019-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wiki79
lvl.1

Croatia

Hi for the first time!

A month ago I purchased my first drone, DJI Mavic Mini.
I really like the drone, and my first impressions are great... I love the gimbal performance, baterry capacity etc.

I have the CE version and I have made flights in the city and out of the city.
On my first flights, I would have interference and RC signal lost issues already at 200 m (in the city), and at cca. 400 m out of the city...

After reading lots of forums and searching around I found really easy way to extend drone range!
I don't see it mentioned in DJI user manual, but I found it in some videos and forums...

SO THE IMPORTANT THING IS TO TURN ON THE AIRPLANE MODE AND DISABLE WIFI ON YOUR MOBILE !!
First turn on your drone and RC, and when they connect, wait for map to load, and then turn on AIRPLANE MODE and disable WIFI.

With these setting now I am flying around 1 km in the city center!
I still have to test out of the city, but I think I will now finally reach the advertised 2000 m!

Happy flying!

Cheers from Zagreb!

2019-12-20
Use props
djiuser_PhfP95HDAHIt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 189131 ft
Indonesia

Thank you for your sharing tips, mau I know what type your moblie phone you use, is Iphone or Android?
2019-12-20
Use props
djiuser_PhfP95HDAHIt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 189131 ft
Indonesia

2019-12-20
Use props
Moccaz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 807247 ft
Italy

Hi Wiki ,

thank you for sharing.
I tried to fly with phone (samsung s10 android 10) in airplane mode but I had two minor problems but very annoying.
The first is that in airplane mode dji fly do not show the fligth mode (up left) showing NA and I can not switch beteween cinematic, P Spd sport mode.
The other is that  is not showed the gimbal status display,
If i switch off the airplane mode all became "normal"
2019-12-20
Use props
Vehok
lvl.1
Flight distance : 79413 ft
Portugal

Increased the flight from 200 meters to 1km? Seems like a lot to something so simple, how is it possible? Is there any video showing this difference? I really want to test this, but is raining  a lot.
2019-12-20
Use props
Salex123
lvl.3
Israel

The wifi disable and the airplane mode requred all the time during the fly, or only for connection?
According to the DJI logic mentioned in this forum, if the mini is originally CE, changing to FCC also limits the maximum range to 500 meter.
So what is the true?
2019-12-20
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

With good conditions range is good, 2km is maybe too risky for the super light Mini.
Fly safe and have fun! Thanks for sharing the info!
2019-12-20
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to the extender. Just a friendly reminder, DJI does not recommend to use any third party extender. We cannot guarantee the stability and compatibility of the said part during flight that may lead to an incident, please fly safe always. Thank you for your valued support.
2019-12-20
Use props
JM.REYES
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84423 ft
Spain

ONE NOTE: I come from flying petrol RC airplanes, now I fly drones, and for security I recommend to those who don't know how to turn the radio control ALWAYS FIRST and then the drone. To turn it off it would be just the opposite, first we turn off the drone and then finally the radio control. This is due to the possibility that, when the control is first turned off, the drone is still active without any "FATHER" signal at a frequency of 2.4 Ghz or 5 (depending on where we are) and when there is so much pollution of waves in the environment, there may be interference and the bird flies out of our control. Another thing, flying this drone over 1 km is a real CRAZY, without observers, please be very cautious with this.
2019-12-20
Use props
Wiki79
lvl.1

Croatia

djiuser_PhfP95HDAHIt Posted at 12-20 04:26
Thank you for your sharing tips, mau I know what type your moblie phone you use, is Iphone or Android?

Hi! I use iPhone XR.
2019-12-21
Use props
Wiki79
lvl.1

Croatia

Vehok Posted at 12-20 05:05
Increased the flight from 200 meters to 1km? Seems like a lot to something so simple, how is it possible? Is there any video showing this difference? I really want to test this, but is raining  a lot.

The logic is simple. The smart phones today have around 3 antennas (GSM, GPS, WIFI).
The logic is that if you dont turn off WIFI your phone is actively searching (and emitting) for WIFI. Same goes for the GSM signal.

So after your RC and Drone connect, disable WIFI and put your phone to Airplane mode. In this way your phone can "concentrate" of WIFI connection with the Mavic Mini.
2019-12-21
Use props
Wiki79
lvl.1

Croatia

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-20 08:57
Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to the extender. Just a friendly reminder, DJI does not recommend to use any third party extender. We cannot guarantee the stability and compatibility of the said part during flight that may lead to an incident, please fly safe always. Thank you for your valued support.

Hi, i dont have extender!

(although i ordered one and still waiting for it to arrive )
2019-12-21
Use props
Wiki79
lvl.1

Croatia

Vehok Posted at 12-20 05:05

The logic is simple. The smart phones today have around 3 antennas (GSM, GPS, WIFI).
The logic is that if you dont turn off WIFI your phone is actively searching (and emitting) for WIFI. Same goes for the GSM signal.

So after your RC and Drone connect, disable WIFI and put your phone to Airplane mode. In this way your phone can "concentrate" of WIFI connection with the Mavic Mini.
2019-12-21
Use props
Wiki79
lvl.1

Croatia

Moccaz Posted at 12-20 04:44
Hi Wiki ,

thank you for sharing.

its wierd. it does not happen on iphone.
maybe you turned on airplane mode too early.
wait for the RC and the drone to connect and be ready to take off, then disable WIFI and turn on airplane mode.
2019-12-21
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Wiki79 Posted at 12-21 01:10
Hi, i dont have extender!

(although i ordered one and still waiting for it to arrive  )

Hi. Thank you for the additional information. With regards to this information. Just a friendly reminder. DJI does not recommend to modify or install any third party accessories on the remote controller or on the drone. This may affect the performance and stability of the said drone. Any modification and damages caused by the installed third party accessories will void the warranty of the said drone and of the remote controller. For reference, I will be posting an image for the warranty details for the drone. Thank you and safe flying.

2019-12-23
Use props
Luka_BiH_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 853110 ft
Bosnia and Herzegovina

So it does help if you use airplane mode, and everything else works normal ??? I have been using mine and 500m is usaly most I get without getting glitches. Hvala i pozdrav iz BiH
2020-1-1
Use props
fracz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1018061 ft
Poland

I only turn off the WiFi and leave GSM for two reasons.

1. With GSM/LTE data i can display the satellite map in the DJI Fly app while flying. It might be helpful to tell whether the MM is already above the water or not yet, for example.

2. I always register my flights in a local drone app prior to take off (we have DroneRadar in Poland, not sure about its support abroad). If my flight is registered and there is e.g. air ambulance flying nearby, I receive a notification telling me to land immediately.
2020-1-1
Use props
kiminx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149032 ft
Indonesia

wow so far with 1km! amazing? do you setting auto or manual for transmission? 2.4 or 5.8?
2020-1-1
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 914012 ft
United Kingdom

1.2km a couple of days ago
2020-1-1
Use props
djiuser_QUgerpQwqvz5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1949009 ft
Denmark

I have done 2,6 km on CE model without extenders and wifi on.

Clear line of sight, remote area.
2020-1-3
Use props
Droneflier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1811322 ft
South Africa

djiuser_QUgerpQwqvz5 Posted at 1-3 11:03
I have done 2,6 km on CE model without extenders and wifi on.

Clear line of sight, remote area.

When my drone is 100 meters away and 20 meters high I struggle to see it, so I am not sure how anyone will still be able to physically view their MM over 200 meters during the day. So I presume you are flying the MM at night with a strobe light attached.
2020-1-3
Use props
djiuser_5AwWcziQw26k
lvl.1

Mexico

It worked.. I just tried and works like a charm.. The only thing is that it goes so far that the image stop working in the cellphone and the message of returning appears.. but the gps in the map is ok and live..

So here is all the info:
Drone: Mavic Mini with the last firmware to date (8/January/20)
Cellphone: iPhone 11 Pro Max with updated iOS and DJI Fly App
Distance was like 1100Meters aprox and 200Meters in height and Sport Mode with 75% battery..

The Procedure was with the cellphone working normal (receiving calls and whatsapps) i plugged the cellphone to the remote crontrol via the cable then turned on the RC and open the app, then turn on the Drone and when it said ready to fly, i turn my cellphone to airplane mode on..

**Check you have GPS signal in the drone and Wifi conection.. Have fun!! Im thinking in installing those big ass antenas for the RC, just to see if there is any difference.. Any advice?

BTW im so addicted to DJI Drones now that im thinkin on buying a Mavic 2 Pro. Does this one have a better antennas/range against the Mavic Mini?
2020-1-8
Use props
Wiki79
lvl.1

Croatia

kiminx Posted at 1-1 02:59
wow so far with 1km! amazing? do you setting auto or manual for transmission? 2.4 or 5.8?

i have automatic set on. i think when you take off the frequency is in 5.8 and then after 4-500m the drone turns to 2.4.

If you receive low signal warning at lets say 400m just continue it will regain signal (probably turn to 2.4Ghz).

my longest flight was 1.100m in the city area. height 130-200 m.
2020-1-8
Use props
Wiki79
lvl.1

Croatia

djiuser_5AwWcziQw26k Posted at 1-8 02:26
It worked.. I just tried and works like a charm.. The only thing is that it goes so far that the image stop working in the cellphone and the message of returning appears.. but the gps in the map is ok and live..

So here is all the info:

great! of course mavic pro has way better distance, i think around 5 km.
for the "big antennas", you have to take your remote control apart.
2020-1-8
Use props
djiuser_5AwWcziQw26k
lvl.1

Mexico

Wiki79 Posted at 1-8 03:06
great! of course mavic pro has way better distance, i think around 5 km.
for the "big antennas", you have to take your remote control apart.

I just got one will see..

Maybe its too much asking but whats the main difference between..

Mavic Pro
Mavic 2 Pro
Mavic Zoom
Mavic Pro Platinum
2020-1-9
Use props
Wiki79
lvl.1

Croatia

djiuser_5AwWcziQw26k Posted at 1-9 10:36
I just got one will see..

Maybe its too much asking but whats the main difference between..

https://store.dji.com/guides/mavic-mini-vs-mavic-air-vs-mavic-pro-platinum-vs-mavic-2/
2020-1-9
Use props
djiuser_6oUGL85E6toA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7119 ft
Sweden

Frende sljaka li to i dalje ili treba ici na drugu opciju ( fake gps) Uzeo ga neki dan pa zbog vremena ga jos nisam uspio testirati
2020-1-13
Use props
djiuser_5AwWcziQw26k
lvl.1

Mexico

Wiki79 Posted at 1-9 12:24
https://store.dji.com/guides/mavic-mini-vs-mavic-air-vs-mavic-pro-platinum-vs-mavic-2/

I just got my mavic 2 but i have 2 questions..

¿How can i know the flight time of the drone since new? i've seen one battery has 9 charges and the other one 16 charges..  But is there anything like the mavic mini to see the total flight time?

¿How can i factory reset my mavic 2? its on the name of the person who sold it to me.. Plus i thing it has its own settings..

Thanks again Wiki79..!!
2020-1-13
Use props
Wiki79
lvl.1

Croatia

djiuser_5AwWcziQw26k Posted at 1-13 22:10
I just got my mavic 2 but i have 2 questions..

¿How can i know the flight time of the drone since new? i've seen one battery has 9 charges and the other one 16 charges..  But is there anything like the mavic mini to see the total flight time?

Open Go4 app - then when you see the 4 options at the bottom go to "ME" second from right on bottom - click on update flight logs - top right you see a little cloud with with an arrow inside that will update your flight logs.
2020-1-13
Use props
djiuser_5AwWcziQw26k
lvl.1

Mexico

Wiki79 Posted at 1-13 22:20
Open Go4 app - then when you see the 4 options at the bottom go to "ME" second from right on bottom - click on update flight logs - top right you see a little cloud with with an arrow inside that will update your flight logs.

First of all thank you soo much for your very fast and kind responses..

Now I had an issue today with the Mavic Pro 2, I  was doing great videos like 2 or 3 days ago with the drone and everything went fantastic.. And today I wanted to record the sunset by the beach and my drone its not focusing.. Last time i used was perfect no issues.. If i go to autofocus it focus for less that a second is really fast.. If i go manual it just dont focus..

This is exactly what im looking..

Issue Mavic

Issue Mavic

Troubleshooting:
Software:
- I restored camera settings from the DJI App
- Refreshed the firmware from the DJI program for win10
- Checked if i had installed the latest DJI App in my iPhone

Hardware:
- I usually use and ND 16 Filter from FSTOP LABS since the second flight literally .. Today i wanted to use ND 8 Filter from FSTOP LABS (Never use it before) and this happen, so i thought it might be something that the filter was messing with the camera and put back the stock filter from DJI/Hasselband with no success..

So while i was writing this message, i took a moment to remove the Stock filter from the Mavic 2 Pro to see if the lens from the camera (with no filter) might be something causing the issue like a fingerprint or something so i turned the drone on again and test it with no filter just the raw camera and the blurry image was the same regarless of anything i was doing so it wasnt the filter, for sure its something in the camera but if focuses it just that doesnt recognize the focus the softwear..

So now the sunset is almost gone and the light is very low, I put the stock filter again (the DJI/HASSELBAND) and turn on the Mavic so i can download the photo to my phone to share it here, and its working perfectly fine like nothing..

I did a test flight and have no issues.. So what could be the problem? Im happy is working now i just dont know for how long.. And if i should put a filter again or not.. I only did like 5 times the process of changing ND filters and im super careful to think that i might broke something in the drone camera..
2020-1-21
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_5AwWcziQw26k Posted at 1-21 17:50
First of all thank you soo much for your very fast and kind responses..

Now I had an issue today with the Mavic Pro 2, I  was doing great videos like 2 or 3 days ago with the drone and everything went fantastic.. And today I wanted to record the sunset by the beach and my drone its not focusing.. Last time i used was perfect no issues.. If i go to autofocus it focus for less that a second is really fast.. If i go manual it just dont focus..

In auto focus mode, are you tapping on the subject that you want it to focus on.
Is the camera changing the focus to this point ?

In manual focus, what subject are you trying to focus on in the two photo's ?
If you look at the center focus point it will be trying to focus on the grass which is too close
In manual focus are  you moving the slider to see the focus change ?
If there is no change in focus when doing this , then the camera has a glitch.
Resetting it by turning the M2P off and on most probably fixed it.

Subjects that are very close may not be able to be in focus, due to the design of the lens, the MP2 camera will focus down to 1m.
mavic 3 pro camera specs - Copy.JPG
2020-1-21
Use props
djiuser_5AwWcziQw26k
lvl.1

Mexico

lannes Posted at 1-21 18:16
In auto focus mode, are you tapping on the subject that you want it to focus on.
Is the camera changing the focus to this point ?

Its the same picture but it uploaded twice sorry about that.. I was trying to focus de palms next to the wall by touch the screen on the phone.. Thats was on auto in Manual i was moving the slider, it does something for sure but wasnt able to focus anything..

The first time when i was understanting the DJI App i remember been very surprised that the drone have a macro option and actually works very good..
I tried in different places, different lights, differents subjects and it didnt work.. It just fixed by it self..

I'll wake up tomorrow early to get the sunrise, i'll post in here how it went.. Thanks for helping..!
2020-1-21
Use props
Un4Seen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1074646 ft
Romania

@Wiki79 Thanks for sharing this info!
When you say that you get this greatly improved range with no WiFi and airplane mode on, you mean that you also have stable video feed or you can just control the Mavic Mini but you don't see the video feed? Since the MM is so small and grey, it's hard to see it at long distances, so if you also loose video feed, you're pretty much flying blind.

I also have the CE version and never could fly beyond 700 m distance (usually less) even out in the wilderness. Perhaps disabling the phone's connections is really what makes a difference? I'm curious about DJI's official standpoint on this matter.
2020-1-24
Use props
AregG
lvl.1

United States

Am a little lost in here.
AS far as I know the airoplane mode disables WiFi, Blue Tooth, and cell service if any. So why do people suggest Airoplance mode as well as disable Wifi. And then why wait? I use an i-pad with no cell service and when I am out there is no WiFi service for it so how does it provide the map? Isnt that in the remote?
2020-1-30
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Flying 1 Km in a city is asking trouble.... the reliable range is 1 Km in the open, why would you even dare to try that in a city ? Somebody that does that is a liability to me.

Furthermore disabling the phone regular WCDMA connection is no help at all, but I understand the offline mode is a quite a reliable way to chop off the Wi-Fi and Bt frequencies that might impact the RC to AC link, especially because OFF isn't OFF anymore these days, with Bt background and Wi-Fi scanning (and hand shaking).
2020-1-31
Use props
Guang Chu
New

Malaysia

Mavic mini is for photo/Video shooting , why you need fly so far ??? Unless you want Spy / Peeping girl bath ?

This is Not Transport, Why need so Far? This question is always ask by those Not Experiance RC Player. Especially nanny or grandfather who do not know about RC
2020-3-3
Use props
Guang Chu
New

Malaysia

Mavic mini is for photo/Video shooting , why you need fly so far ??? Unless you want Spy / Peeping girl bath ?

This is Not Transport, Why need so Far? This question is always ask by those Not Experiance RC Player. Especially nanny or grandfather who do not know about RC
2020-3-3
Use props
Guang Chu
New

Malaysia

Naive Question
2020-3-3
Use props
USS ENTERPRISE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2063642 ft
South Korea

m80116 Posted at 1-31 06:18
Flying 1 Km in a city is asking trouble.... the reliable range is 1 Km in the open, why would you even dare to try that in a city ? Somebody that does that is a liability to me.

Furthermore disabling the phone regular WCDMA connection is no help at all, but I understand the offline mode is a quite a reliable way to chop off the Wi-Fi and Bt frequencies that might impact the RC to AC link, especially because OFF isn't OFF anymore these days, with Bt background and Wi-Fi scanning (and hand shaking).

Flying in the city is reliable
There is only cities in my country
2020-6-28
Use props
Droneflier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1811322 ft
South Africa

now if you drive to the outer town limit just think of the lovely footage you could film then.
2020-6-28
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules