Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ronin SC with Fujifilm XT3 and latest firmware update 3.10
12Next >
13992 45 2019-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jimfelder
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1980118 ft
  • >>>
United States

Has anyone updated their XT3 yet? I updated mine, unable to use the focus wheel and manual focus which is very cool. But I cannot use the record button to start and stop video recording.

I had purchased a cable that Connect to the remote port and was able to use that to start and stop video recording but no other options.

I love using the USBC cable because it charges the camera plus you get all these other features now, at least you’re supposed to.

I called Fuji support today and they said they had not received a Ronin SC unit yet for testing with the new firmware update. They said corporate had tested it before releasing the firmware update but the support area had not so they are not able to help with that yet. It only came out two days ago, I’ll give them that. But come on, Don’t you think you should get all this stuff tested before you release a firmware update?
2019-12-20
Use props
djiuser_EaQF7nNjz41o
New

United Kingdom

I updated my fuji x-t3. Fuji says it should now support dji gimbals. Today I bought a Ronin sc, DGI says it supports XT3. However, the gimbal record button cannot start recording, it only locks the camera up. Tommorow i am taking the gimbal back to the shop. I will never trust either of these companies again.
2019-12-21
Use props
Hadre
New
Germany

I also tested it ... the video function does not work.
2019-12-21
Use props
Brian G
New
Belgium

Same here.
Hope to have an update asap...
2019-12-22
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

This is an update Fuji put out to finally support start/stop REC through USB control. This wasn't supported prior so DJI can only control functions Fuji allowed through their SDK. Since Fuji implemented start/stop REC, we're working on implementing this function.
2019-12-22
Use props
Somian
New
United States

Hi,

I just got my new Ronin SC for use with my Fujifilm X-T3.

According to this URL (I can't post URLS so replace "colon" with ":")

https[colon]//dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Ronin_SC/20191119/Ronin_SC_Camera_Compatibility_List_en.pdf

The Ronin SC should be compatible with the Fujifilm X-T3 for recording video using the "Ronin-SC RSS Control Cable for FUJIFILM". I bought this cable.

One side of the cable is a USB-C port which I plugged into the gimbal. The other side is some small TRS connector that goes into... what?

The X-T3 doesn't seem to have a port for this. How do I connect the Camera to the gimbal to enable video capture control as described in the PDF?

Maybe I'm just being really stupid but I can't find this RSS control port anywhere on the X-T3.

Many Thanks!
2019-12-24
Use props
Somian
New
United States

Hi again.

I found it! It's called "Remote release connector" (Number 38 in the X-T3 Manual) x)
2019-12-24
Use props
Tima_007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1110312 ft
  • >>>
Ukraine

Somian Posted at 12-24 19:56
Hi again.

I found it! It's called "Remote release connector" (Number 38 in the X-T3 Manual) x)

This for remote shutter control via cable remote controller. Only for photo work ((
2019-12-25
Use props
Somian
New
United States

Tima_007 Posted at 12-25 03:47
This for remote shutter control via cable remote controller. Only for photo work ((

It works fine for me, including video recording and autofocus.
2019-12-25
Use props
undagimby
lvl.1

Australia

Somian Posted at 12-25 10:17
It works fine for me, including video recording and autofocus.

Can you please clarify what you mean by this?  Which port on the SC are you connecting to which port on the X-T3?  You say that autofocus works.  I assume you mean with the focus wheel, but is this with or without the focus motor?  Is anyone able to replicate Somian's success?

I am on the verge of buying an SC, and am still to decide on whether to get the base kit or the Pro kit.  The base kit is on special in my town, the Pro kit is not.  If I don't need the Pro kit extras then it's a bit of a waste, but if I do need them, it's way cheaper to get the Pro kit than to buy them separately later.  Unless all I need is the focus wheel, that's not so bad on its own.
2019-12-27
Use props
undagimby
lvl.1

Australia

p.s.  Is the "DJI Ronin-SC RSS Control Cable for Fujifilm Cameras" the answer?
2019-12-27
Use props
Medline2c
New
France

I've the same problem !
2019-12-28
Use props
petermag
lvl.2
Australia

undagimby Posted at 12-27 04:55
p.s.  Is the "DJI Ronin-SC RSS Control Cable for Fujifilm Cameras" the answer?

The RSS Control Cable – Part 16, is a small micro jack that plugs into the socket just above the SD Card door. If you haven’t noticed the socket before, it’s easy to not even be aware that there is a flap that opens.
The other end is USB-C that plugs into the gimbal.

This isn’t the final end solution but I believe DJI released this in the last few months to at least give Fuji users the ability to start/stop recording, while they waited on Fuji to open up the interface for this to work directly via USB-C. USB-C would be the preferred method as it can ultimately give even more functionality.

Fuji subsequently did release an update to provide control via USB-C in December, so it’s now back to waiting on DJI for them to release an update that works with the new Fuji version. The RSS Control cable is quite cheap so can at least be used in the interim to start and stop recordings. With regards to focus, it is merely just applying autofocus as if you are pressing the shutter button. It’s not related to the focus wheel.

Getting the Ronin SC Pro package provides the possibility of doing pull focus with the supplied motor attached to Fuji lenses. While it is meant to be a focus solution, the other possibility is that it can potentially be attached to the zoom ring on the lens – bearing in mind that any great degree of zooming can result in the gimbal being unbalanced. I’ve not yet tried that out myself, and keen to get feedback from others who have done so.
2019-12-29
Use props
undagimby
lvl.1

Australia

petermag Posted at 12-29 06:18
The RSS Control Cable – Part 16, is a small micro jack that plugs into the socket just above the SD Card door. If you haven’t noticed the socket before, it’s easy to not even be aware that there is a flap that opens.
The other end is USB-C that plugs into the gimbal.

Thank you for this Peter, it makes perfect sense.  This is the best explanation of the state-of-play that I've seen in a fair bit of searching.  Much appreciated.

Somian's last post implied that with this Part 16 cable everything is working incl focussing, but I didn't see how the focus wheel could possibly work if the cable only plugs into an 2.5mm headphone-style socket.  It surely wouldn't be possible to pass the right kind of signal.

I take it from what you say that this Part 16 cable would have operated on the X-T3  in the manner you describe before the f/w 3.10 release?  I take it also that in practical terms, nothing has changed as a result of the 3.10 release at this stage?  As you say, the ball is now in DJI's court.

I bought the Pro kit in the end, so I could try to use the focus motor on the zoom ring.  My understanding of zooming is that it will strain the motors.  That's what one of the Wai Lam videos suggests - even the 16-55mm f/2.8 brick, which has all its movements internal, causes balance shift.  I balanced my new 16-80 on the X-T3, which is a little tricky, and zooming worked up to a point.  I balanced at the 16mm end with the lens contracted.  It's possible that it may work better if I was to balance at a partial extension of the zoom, but the question remains as to the longer-term impact on the motors, and also of being able to balance successfully with the lens partly extended.  I may try the focus motor on the zoom ring, but remain wary of doing so too often.

Any other Australians looking to pick up a Pro kit should note that Digidirect currently has it for AUD594.15, and also has the base model for AUD475.15, which is a less that the other sale prices around and probaby won't last.  Sadly, I noticed this too late when looking to buy a Part 16 cable.
2019-12-29
Use props
petermag
lvl.2
Australia

undagimby Posted at 12-29 18:36
Thank you for this Peter, it makes perfect sense.  This is the best explanation of the state-of-play that I've seen in a fair bit of searching.  Much appreciated.

Somian's last post implied that with this Part 16 cable everything is working incl focussing, but I didn't see how the focus wheel could possibly work if the cable only plugs into an 2.5mm headphone-style socket.  It surely wouldn't be possible to pass the right kind of signal.

Yes, Part 16 worked the same before the 3.1 X-T3 release.

Good point on the DigiDirect price of the Ronin SC. I thought I had a good price at another store and only noticed afterwards that I could have saved another $55. That is where I bought the Part 16 cable though as it was the only place I could find that had it in stock.

It seems like we are on a similar track with respect to kit and potential use. I had been sitting on the fence at one stage with what Sony had to offer which would have given a bit more versatility for video with power zoom lenses, but the lack of 4k 60p was always an issue for me and then I also ended up appreciating the functionality and capabilities the more I got to know the X-T3.
I currently have the X-T3 and 16-80 balanced on the Ronin at the long end around 65mm. This is specifically for filming track athletics from a slight distance. With regards to zooming, it would be ideal if my setup is able to then zoom either side of that down to 50mm and up to 80mm, so I’m not really expecting to be able to use the full zoom range which I think might be a step too far. Similar to you, I’ve been a bit wary of actually putting this to the test on the gimbals motors just yet and have rather been experimenting with balancing first, but I am getting close.
By the way, the 16-55 f2.8 doesn’t have internal zoom and the barrel extends just as the 16-80 does. There was a post from another person in a thread that I started who appeared to indicate that they have used the focus wheel to zoom on this lens, which would be impressive if that really is across the full focal length for this hefty lens.

Apologies to others for the slight digression on the original topic.
2019-12-30
Use props
dburgui
New

Spain

Hi!

I have updated too my XT-3 firmware with the 3.10 version yesterday (29th Dec 2019) and I tried to see the new features, BUT I have to say that absolutely nothing has changed.
I am very disappointed and a bit sad about this. I was looking for a gimbal for my filming with the X-T3 and I thought that this Ronin-SC was a great combination and one of the best. I bought the Pro kit, but I have to say that now I feel that I have wasted my money.

The gimbal is great and I love my camera, but  if we are not able to use most of the options (at least start/stop filming), most of the gear is useless for us.

Now, I do not know what to do. I just bought my gimbal three days ago. I am seriously considering to give it back to the shop. But I think it is a good, well-designed and efficient gadget. My only hope is that DJI engineers will make an update of their firmware or something soon.  What to do you do, colleagues? Do you use it anyway and you think it is valuable? We will see any solution soon?

Thanks a lot and good luck with your filmings.
D.
2019-12-30
Use props
petermag
lvl.2
Australia

dburgui Posted at 12-30 07:09
Hi!

I have updated too my XT-3 firmware with the 3.10 version yesterday (29th Dec 2019) and I tried to see the new features, BUT I have to say that absolutely nothing has changed.

Have you read the above posts?

Fuji only released version 3.1 which opened up the USB interface for gimbals on 17th Dec. The ball is now in DJi's court to do an update of their own so that the Ronin can make use of the updated Fuji interface. Same goes for other gimbal manufacturers like Zhiyun. You will need to be a bit realistic with this happening in the timeframe that you are expecting.

In the meantime though you can get the Part 16 cable which lets you start and stop recording. Personally I think DJI were quite proactive in getting this out while waiting for Fuji to do the update on their side.

Just on the benefit of the gimbal, while all the other functionality does make it easier and increases capabilities, the number one purpose of course is stabilisation and that's what it does well.

2019-12-30
Use props
Somian
New
United States

undagimby Posted at 12-27 04:14
Can you please clarify what you mean by this?  Which port on the SC are you connecting to which port on the X-T3?  You say that autofocus works.  I assume you mean with the focus wheel, but is this with or without the focus motor?  Is anyone able to replicate Somian's success?

I am on the verge of buying an SC, and am still to decide on whether to get the base kit or the Pro kit.  The base kit is on special in my town, the Pro kit is not.  If I don't need the Pro kit extras then it's a bit of a waste, but if I do need them, it's way cheaper to get the Pro kit than to buy them separately later.  Unless all I need is the focus wheel, that's not so bad on its own.

I mean that when I press the record button on the gimbal halfway, it will cause the camera to autofocus. This also works during video recording.

Yes, the RSS control cable is the answer. It doesn't work via USB at the moment. I'm connecting using the port on the right side of the camera.

2019-12-31
Use props
DerBeton
New

Germany

Hey together

I just checked out the release log from the DJI Ronin SC and found this PDF: https[colon]//dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Ronin_SC/20200109/Ronin_SC_Release_Notes_en.pdf

Seems like they added the support for starting and stopping via the usb cable at January the 9th.

Will test it when I'm at home .

Cheers

2020-1-14
Use props
jimfelder
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DerBeton, As I originally said, the Focus wheel now works but Fujifilm has not come out with an update to add the start/stop with the USB-C cable.
2020-1-14
Use props
DerBeton
New

Switzerland

jimfelder Posted at 1-14 09:43
DerBeton, As I originally said, the Focus wheel now works but Fujifilm has not come out with an update to add the start/stop with the USB-C cable.

Just tested it with the mewest update for the Ronin-SC. Start / stop and manual focus worked for me.

Im just not sure about the autofocus though. Maybe someone knows more about that?
2020-1-14
Use props
jimfelder
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Really? Manual focus with the wheel and start recording with button? What versions of firmware is on your XT3 and Ronin SC?
2020-1-14
Use props
DerBeton
New

Switzerland

jimfelder Posted at 1-14 13:59
Really? Manual focus with the wheel and start recording with button? What versions of firmware is on your XT3 and Ronin SC?

Hey Jiimfelder

My Fujifilm X-T3 is on version 3.10
And my Ronin-SC on v1.4.0.30.

Yeah start/stop and manual focus worked with this new update (January 9th)
2020-1-14
Use props
djiuser_0Xrv0SJYzZXL
New
Ukraine

Actually I can confirm that start/stop the video recording now works via USB-C cable. Latest firmware both.
2020-1-14
Use props
petermag
lvl.2
Australia

I can confirm that following the recent update from DJI, the USB C cable works very well with the Fuji X-T3. Some observations …
•        Start and Stop video recording works from the gimbal record button
•        Pull focus on the 16-80 lens works directly with the camera via the focus control wheel i.e. without the motor and cable attached to the lens
•        The X-T3 can be switched on easily without fiddling between USB modes, and with a clear indication that the camera is being charged by the gimbal
•        The DJI update indicates that autofocus doesn’t work in video mode. What this means is that half-pressing the record button on the Ronin doesn’t pre-set focus in Single focus mode (S) - like it does when you press the camera button. Not too much of a big deal though as it does focus when you press the button all the way to start recording. And naturally in Continuous focus mode (C) the camera autofocuses all the time.

Admittedly I really wasn’t expecting pull focus to work so well directly with the camera. I’m now torn between using the focus wheel to control zoom via the motor, or to control focus directly with the camera.

So nice to have these choices though – it’s all come good :-)

2020-1-15
Use props
jimfelder
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Well that’s very odd. I’ll have to double check this evening on my second body to see if it works. Both are on the latest firmware version 3.10. But I am glad to see that it is working for you guys. That means mine should work. If they aren’t I may have to reset my cameras and try again. Not sure. Thanks again.
2020-1-15
Use props
DerBeton
New

Switzerland

petermag Posted at 1-15 05:10
I can confirm that following the recent update from DJI, the USB C cable works very well with the Fuji X-T3. Some observations …
•        Start and Stop video recording works from the gimbal record button
•        Pull focus on the 16-80 lens works directly with the camera via the focus control wheel i.e. without the motor and cable attached to the lens

Hey Petermag.

Thanks for your testing .

So if continious focus is working, then really happy with the combo now.
In this case the firmware release log isn't optimal "put in words" I think.
2020-1-15
Use props
undagimby
lvl.1

Australia

A bit like Jim, when I first tried the two new firmwares together and the C-to-C cable I had only limited success and wondered what all the fuss was about.  But in light of Peter's post I tried again just now and can confirm that it works exactly as he says.  Peter - at least now you have the choice - focus wheel for focus vs focus wheel for zoom.  It is a tough choice.  
2020-1-15
Use props
jimfelder
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Well I’m not sure how new this DJI firmware update is but I felt a bit stupid when I launched the app on my phone and connected to the Ronin and it said there was an update.

… It works now…

2020-1-15
Use props
undagimby
lvl.1

Australia

Released on 9 January, according to the release notes sticky thread.  
2020-1-15
Use props
jimfelder
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

undagimby Posted at 1-15 22:45
Released on 9 January, according to the release notes sticky thread.

Ok well I had not seen any emails or notifications.

Thank you everyone!
2020-1-16
Use props
undagimby
lvl.1

Australia

jimfelder Posted at 1-16 05:30
Ok well I had not seen any emails or notifications.

Thank you everyone!

It was publicised on FujiRumo(u)rs on 12 January.
2020-1-16
Use props
Chad Andreo
New

United States

Can the Ronin-SC power and/or charge the Fuji X-T3 similar to the Ronin-S?
2020-1-16
Use props
petermag
lvl.2
Australia

Chad Andreo Posted at 1-16 20:31
Can the Ronin-SC power and/or charge the Fuji X-T3 similar to the Ronin-S?

Yes, the Ronin SC charges the X-T3 and now also gives the indicator that it's doing so - which wasn't the case in previous versions.
2020-1-16
Use props
petermag
lvl.2
Australia

undagimby Posted at 1-15 19:04
A bit like Jim, when I first tried the two new firmwares together and the C-to-C cable I had only limited success and wondered what all the fuss was about.  But in light of Peter's post I tried again just now and can confirm that it works exactly as he says.  Peter - at least now you have the choice - focus wheel for focus vs focus wheel for zoom.  It is a tough choice.

Hey undagimby, have you ventured into trying out the zoom control with the focus motor yet?
I've used it a fair a bit now and it handles really well.
2020-1-17
Use props
undagimby
lvl.1

Australia

petermag Posted at 1-17 03:26
Hey undagimby, have you ventured into trying out the zoom control with the focus motor yet?
I've used it a fair a bit now and it handles really well.

Thanks for that encouragement Peter.  Not yet, but I will.  Sooner or later.  It's still early days.  I mostly shoot live music, and it's been in recess here.  I'm making haste slowly.

I am still a little concerned about the effect of the weight of the 16-80 on the motors, even if it appears to work well.  I have an external mike on the hotshoe, which won't help either.  I am wondering whether the 18-55 might not be the better choice, to lower the strain on the motors.  

In the meantime, to zoom (and pan), I've been shooting 4K and making liberal use for the Ken Burns effect, as long as you don't mind only outputting full HD or even HD.
2020-1-17
Use props
Chad Andreo
New

United States

petermag Posted at 1-16 20:42
Yes, the Ronin SC charges the X-T3 and now also gives the indicator that it's doing so - which wasn't the case in previous versions.

awesome. Thanks
2020-1-17
Use props
robotfist
lvl.2
United States

I would really like to do this update, but there is absolutely no information out there about how to setup the Fuji X-T3 to interact with the Ronin-SC in this way. So I just update the firmware on the Fuji XT3 and the Ronin-SC and then fairies come down down and sprinkle dust on everything and it all magically works? Because I've done that and nothing works. Trigger record does't work. Focus doesn't work. The Ronin doesn't even see the camera. Where are the instructions, lol? Can anyone point me to them? Do I need to have specific settings setup on the XT3 or the Ronin?

Currently all the Fuji/Ronin instructional videos/docs out there were made last year and don't apply to this update. I can't seem to find anything on DJI's website either.
2020-1-18
Use props
jimfelder
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

robotfist

You can use the Ronin app on a mobile phone to update the DJI Ronin SC.
Ronin App for iOS
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/dji-ronin/id1282848185

Ronin App for Android
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/dji-ronin/id1282848185

You can also use the FujiFilm Camera Remote app to update the XT3.
iOS
https://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/ ... =8&ign-mpt=uo=4

Android
https://play.google.com/store/ap ... c.app.remoteshooter

Do you need more instructions?

2020-1-18
Use props
PilleniusMC
lvl.3
Germany

The Ronin-SC needs to be updated, the X-T3 needs to be updated, from there just put the camera in USB Tether Auto and everything should work. Unless you run in dual handed mode, then you're mileage may vary.
2020-1-18
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules