Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo Action - how smooth should RockSteady be?
569 15 2019-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stephjant
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice.  I recently went on holiday and used my new Osmo Action.  Some of the footage was a bit disappointing - I had expected better using RockSteady (shot at 4k 60fps).  Now that I'm back home I thought I would try it out on my mountain bike.  Ive just been out for a short ride with the camera attached to a helmet.  Overall it was smooth footage, but going over bumbs in the road I did notice some vibration in the footage.  Is this to be expected or should RockSteay be super smooth irrespective of the terrain?  Am I expecting too much from RockSteady?  Does the frame rate I use make any difference to the effectiveness of RockSteady?

I have looked at some YouTube footage and it's difficult to judge how good some of the footage is hence my question to you guys.  Thanks in advance for your responses
2019-12-21
Use props
Fishycomics
Captain
United States

Be nice to see the footage and then say yeah you are destroying the Gyro, or hmm something  not right. I went over boards of a Boardwalk smooth as Butter, and  I walked at night   and RS is Adjusting.  So maybe  th angle also plays a toll if its degreed more then the Norm RS may be guessing  and causing issues.  You may be asking  to much from a real rocky road to be buttery smooth
2019-12-21
Use props
stephjant
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 12-21 04:17
Be nice to see the footage and then say yeah you are destroying the Gyro, or hmm something  not right. I went over boards of a Boardwalk smooth as Butter, and  I walked at night   and RS is Adjusting.  So maybe  th angle also plays a toll if its degreed more then the Norm RS may be guessing  and causing issues.  You may be asking  to much from a real rocky road to be buttery smooth

thanks for responding.  I've uploaded some of the footage from this morning to Google Drive.  Here is the link.  
https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... B2/view?usp=sharing
I was just going down a steep hill in my village where I knew there were potholes and bumps in the road surface. The file I've uploaded has a small piece of footage at normal speed and then another slowed down.  Sorry, the light wasnt great so there is a bit of noise in the footage.  You are probably going to accuse me of being picky, but there are 2 or 3 instances as I go down the hill where the bike's wheels hits something and there is vibration in the footage.  Its not majorly bad, but not quite what I was expecting.  Maybe boardwalk is one thing and a road full of pot holes another?
2019-12-21
Use props
Fishycomics
Captain
United States

I hold my camera all in hand.  at just under 2 minute, where I saythe ebike  for ya.. there is a  dip and rise I always lift off the seat.

Maybe just maybe a  thumb bolt is not  tightened down    never knowwhat a mount can do. it should be fluid  I agree:
If you are going down that road are you holding it, that may be  something you have to get the feel for I got another vid on grass I shake the hell out of it  ...

but its a Hero 8  

2019-12-21
Use props
CemAygun
Captain
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

My understanding is that Rocksteady needs a lot of light to function properly. I guess it utilizes high shutter speeds to do it's thing (probably that's why it causes artifacts with fixed, low shutter speeds and messes up the anti-flicker) so your mileage will vary depending on the ambient light.

And when it comes to walking; the z axis movement (bobbing) of the camera with a natural walk is so great even a gimbal is defenseless there. So if you want a "butter smooth" walk, you need to learn the art of "ninja walk". It is hard on the knees, people look ablsolutely ridiculous doing it, but it works
2019-12-21
Use props
ff22
Captain
United States

stephjant Posted at 12-21 07:11
thanks for responding.  I've uploaded some of the footage from this morning to Google Drive.  Here is the link.  
I was just going down a steep hill in my village where I knew there were potholes and bumps in the road surface. The file I've uploaded has a small piece of footage at normal speed and then another slowed down.  Sorry, the light wasnt great so there is a bit of noise in the footage.  You are probably going to accuse me of being picky, but there are 2 or 3 instances as I go down the hill where the bike's wheels hits something and there is vibration in the footage.  Its not majorly bad, but not quite what I was expecting.  Maybe boardwalk is one thing and a road full of pot holes another?

You may be being picky (g)

I'd suggest running that road again but turn off Rock Steady and see how it compares?

I had the Action attached to my road bike handlebars just on a paved road but accidentally captured the brake/shift lever off to the side as well as the road.  The levers is shaking up a storm and the road seems pretty darn stable.

2019-12-21
Use props
stephjant
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 12-21 07:40
I hold my camera all in hand.  at just under 2 minute, where I saythe ebike  for ya.. there is a  dip and rise I always lift off the seat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDovNTUFE9A

Thanks for the note. I agree that if the camera is on a screw mount and the screw isn’t tight there might be some vibration. However the camera was mounted to a helmet using the mounting equipment provided by DJI
2019-12-21
Use props
stephjant
Second Officer
United Kingdom

CemAygun Posted at 12-21 17:16
My understanding is that Rocksteady needs a lot of light to function properly. I guess it utilizes high shutter speeds to do it's thing (probably that's why it causes artifacts with fixed, low shutter speeds and messes up the anti-flicker) so your mileage will vary depending on the ambient light.

And when it comes to walking; the z axis movement (bobbing) of the camera with a natural walk is so great even a gimbal is defenseless there. So if you want a "butter smooth" walk, you need to learn the art of "ninja walk". It is hard on the knees, people look ablsolutely ridiculous doing it, but it works

Good point about light and how it might impact RS. I will try out the camera again on a sunnier day (although it’s winter here so sun is low during the day).  
2019-12-21
Use props
stephjant
Second Officer
United Kingdom

ff22 Posted at 12-21 18:08
You may be being picky (g)

I'd suggest running that road again but turn off Rock Steady and see how it compares?

Thanks for the message. I did try the same piece of road with RS off and the shake was awful. RS is good to be fair. I’m going skiing soon with my Osmo Action. That will be the acid test and hopefully the vibration will be negligible
2019-12-21
Use props
Fishycomics
Captain
United States

the mounts I don't use from DJI  I use the PGYTECH's selfie tripod. and a shorty clone,  I even placed on a Rc  car a gopro mount.  on road and off road.  So I check the mount see if it has play.

Now what I can say.   you the subject will  show  bounce  shake, but hte background won't, that is of the  RS.  Rocksteady will  lock the background and make smooth.   hard for me t oexplain but in thevid you see the car  not stable but th background....

Like said do a test at night. and you see you won't be able to adjust or control RS.   hope the vids s show the issues. and help you out. and you can compare DJI to GoPro of that night EIS  see the differences...

2019-12-22
Use props
Visual Air
Captain
Flight distance : 63655 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Osmo Action attached to a canam quad around some of our property. I thought it was quite stable.
2019-12-22
Use props
ff22
Captain
United States

Visual Air Posted at 12-22 11:24
Osmo Action
Osmo Action attached to a canam quad around some of our property. I thought it was quite stable.

Unless your property is a perfectly manicured golf course, I'd say it appeared to be quite stable.  Nice property, too.
2019-12-22
Use props
Fishycomics
Captain
United States

here is  a walk soon a bike again.    as I  am on gravel slowely walking and fooling around RS is working.  once you get used to it  everyrthig falls into place.  I ran its smooth i   am in low light its smooth etc....

2019-12-22
Use props
Visual Air
Captain
Flight distance : 63655 ft
  • >>>
Canada

ff22 Posted at 12-22 13:52
Unless your property is a perfectly manicured golf course, I'd say it appeared to be quite stable.  Nice property, too.

Thank you. We like it.
2019-12-22
Use props
Mizzu
Second Officer
Flight distance : 304642 ft
Germany

stephjant Posted at 12-21 07:11
I was just going down a steep hill in my village where I knew there were potholes and bumps in the road surface. The file I've uploaded has a small piece of footage at normal speed and then another slowed down.  Sorry, the light wasnt great so there is a bit of noise in the footage.  You are probably going to accuse me of being picky, but there are 2 or 3 instances as I go down the hill where the bike's wheels hits something and there is vibration in the footage.  Its not majorly bad, but not quite what I was expecting.  Maybe boardwalk is one thing and a road full of pot holes another?

I have the exact same "jittering" when driving Mountainbike with the Osmo.
I sent some footage to the support Team and they told me that i have to play around with the shutter speed (so i guess, on auto-mode we simply have bad luck).
I didn't take my camera out for a bike tour since then because I'm pretty disappointed that i have to start adjusting and making test-videos before i even can start my tour.

If you find/found some settings that work, please let me know.
2019-12-29
Use props
Fishycomics
Captain
United States

AMazing that is the Route we  have to go to. test the scene then go for  shoot. sounds like we're in the Movies
2019-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules