Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic pro - really grainy videos
823 4 2019-12-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pkztar
lvl.2
Denmark

Hi. i got a problem with all my shots getting really grainy as seen in the video. I've tried so many settings and watched youtube videos about it for many days now and can't fix it.
The attached video is shot in: 4k, 30fps / 60 shutter, ISO 100 and D-cinelike 0, -1 -1. I have tried +1 sharpness and alot of other settings but same problem.

I haven't tried to shoot at a really sunny day yet. Don't know if that will help. This shot was done in pretty cloudy conditions.

Video link:  
2019-12-22
Use props
Lamplighter55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Its a problem with the low light we are experiencing at this time of year and with the weather in Western Europe. Optimal exposure is with full sunlight to the point where one needs to use an ND filter to reduce the light entering the camera. You can try increasing the amount of data each frame samples by dropping your values to 25 FPS / 50 Shutter speed at ISO 100. (Sharpening the image  will just increase the perceived fine grain noise.) Also using 25/50 settings reduces the amount of data down sampling the camera does to areas of low contrast - which is also an issue with the MP1/MPP camera chip set.
2019-12-22
Use props
pkztar
lvl.2
Denmark

Lamplighter55 Posted at 12-22 13:55
Its a problem with the low light we are experiencing at this time of year and with the weather in Western Europe. Optimal exposure is with full sunlight to the point where one needs to use an ND filter to reduce the light entering the camera. You can try increasing the amount of data each frame samples by dropping your values to 25 FPS / 50 Shutter speed at ISO 100. (Sharpening the image  will just increase the perceived fine grain noise.) Also using 25/50 settings reduces the amount of data down sampling the camera does to areas of low contrast - which is also an issue with the MP1/MPP camera chip set.

thanks for the answer.  Yes i suspected that it was the low light situation atm. So you suggest i use 0 in sharpness? or even lower?. This is my first drone so i don't know much about it yet.  I saw alot of videos people saying that +1 will stop the mavic from doing the noise reduction and its better to fix it post. But on the other hand i have seen many saying 0 sharpening is the best
2019-12-22
Use props
Lamplighter55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

pkztar Posted at 12-22 14:15
thanks for the answer.  Yes i suspected that it was the low light situation atm. So you suggest i use 0 in sharpness? or even lower?. This is my first drone so i don't know much about it yet.  I saw alot of videos people saying that +1 will stop the mavic from doing the noise reduction and its better to fix it post. But on the other hand i have seen many saying 0 sharpening is the best

There a two types of 'noise' - the fine grained one where you see what looks like grains of sand over the darker areas of the image, then there is something called 'temporal aliasing' where the control chip of the camera image capture sensor tries to reduce the amount of data which has now increased (because of the low light grain/noise). It does this by quantising/sampling low contrast areas - and in the process it holds areas of the frame data over to the next frames until the 8th frame when the whole sensor chip is refreshed.  You'll find this mentioned on this forum too. The best setting I've found is to go for the lowest equally divisible frame rate to shutter speed - so in Europe that's 25fps/50th second shutter (the US will be 30/60). This means the camera chip has less data to move through the system to the compression chip. I also use the Neat Video plugin to reduce the noise on shots I had to shoot in low light. Hope that helps.
2019-12-23
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. Based on the sample video provided. I would recommend to please try taking videos from well lit location to isolate the issue. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2019-12-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules