My Mavic Mini fell out of the sky and now the gimbal is stuck
12958 29 2019-12-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nichxestes
lvl.1
Flight distance : 31949 ft
United States

So I took my Mavic Mini out for it's maiden flight today. The first few tries the Mavic was acting really crazy, turning without my input, changing altitude without my input, etc. I thought well maybe it's because I'm at a somewhat higher altitude. So I went down to a lower altitude and sent the drone up and as it was hovering directly in front of me, no obstructions, maybe 5 feet above me it just fell to the ground and the propellors went full throttle and it kind of squirmed around on the ground. Now it says the gimbal is stuck and it's constantly vibrating. Is there anyway to fix this or find out if the drone was straight up defective? It really sucks that I spent a decent amount of money on this thing and it immediately went this way. I tried to pull the flight data when I got home but it keeps telling me that the transfer failed. Any help is super appreciated because I'd really just like to get this thing in the air again. Thanks.
2019-12-22
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Are the gimbal mounts loose , check to see if they are in place, this post has photos on how it should look

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... .78355/#post-886396
2019-12-22
Use props
nichxestes
lvl.1
United States

lannes Posted at 12-22 19:06
Are the gimbal mounts loose , check to see if they are in place, this post has photos on how it should look

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... .78355/#post-886396

The mounts appear to be in correctly. The gimbal will do it's little dance when it starts up and then it will sit still for maybe a second but then it starts vibrating on the horizontal axis. I might also add that you can hear the motor working vigorously pretty loud.
2019-12-22
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Have you tried the gimbal recalibration in the DJI Fly app, it's in the control<gimbal calibration

Hit the > and then pick auto or manual

also try  "recenter gimbal" in the same menu

2019-12-22
Use props
nichxestes
lvl.1
United States

lannes Posted at 12-22 20:32
Have you tried the gimbal recalibration in the DJI Fly app, it's in the control and then pick auto or manual

also try  "recenter gimbal" in the same menu

Recenter gimbal does nothing and the gimbal calibration starts at 10% and doesn't move from there until eventually saying "Calibration could not be completed"
2019-12-22
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

nichxestes Posted at 12-22 22:50
Recenter gimbal does nothing and the gimbal calibration starts at 10% and doesn't move from there until eventually saying "Calibration could not be completed"

Can you post your flight log for further investigation?
2019-12-23
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

With the power off, does the gimbal have free movement on the 3 axes , does it go limp and allow you to move it around or is it stuck in position ?

Also can you move the gimbal up and down via the DJI Fly app. ?

2019-12-23
Use props
Drone Retard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 380344 ft
Romania

Check for crack's on the gimbal, I crashed it and this was the result. I glued it back and the error disappeared.
IMG_20191219_175158.jpg
2019-12-23
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Drone Retard Posted at 12-23 04:36
Check for crack's on the gimbal, I crashed it and this was the result. I glued it back and the error disappeared.

How well is your repair holding up? What kind of glue did you use? How on earth did you get it to stay in position while the glue dried?
2019-12-23
Use props
Drone Retard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 380344 ft
Romania

I used loctite 401, it holds very well. I took those two rubbers that hold the lower part of the gimbal and I had enough room to work on it.
2019-12-23
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Drone Retard Posted at 12-23 05:04
I used loctite 401, it holds very well. I took those two rubbers that hold the lower part of the gimbal and I had enough room to work on it.

I'm glad it's working out for you. I probably would have just used a refresh, lol. I'm a curious type and I've looked in there just to get an idea of how it works and I got kinda the feeling that my fingers would be too fat to work in that area. But it's great you fixed yours though!!!
2019-12-23
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

lannes Posted at 12-23 04:29
With the power off, does the gimbal have free movement on the 3 axes , does it go limp and allow you to move it around or is it stuck in position ?

lannes, you provided some great troubleshooting tips.  I just hope that one of them works out for the OP.  Thanks for being so helpful.
2019-12-23
Use props
nichxestes
lvl.1
United States

lannes Posted at 12-23 04:29
With the power off, does the gimbal have free movement on the 3 axes , does it go limp and allow you to move it around or is it stuck in position ?

Also can you move the gimbal up and down via the DJI Fly app. ?

It does have free movement when it’s off but it doesn’t move in the app, it gives me the error that it is stuck. I can hear the motor trying to work and everything and it moves around when first started up.
2019-12-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day nichxestes. I am sorry to read and to read and to know what happened to your DJI Mavic Mini. Since this unfortunate incident happened and there was a crash that happened and now the gimbal of the said drone is affected. I would highly recommend to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for us to be able to assist you further with regards to this issue.  We have the team who would do their best to find out the reason of the said incident and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Again I am sorry for the trouble and thank for your support.
2019-12-23
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

nichxestes Posted at 12-23 07:08
It does have free movement when it’s off but it doesn’t move in the app, it gives me the error that it is stuck. I can hear the motor trying to work and everything and it moves around when first started up.

Have a look at these posts, some of these forum members have tried different solutions

https://forum.dji.com/thread-202297-2-1.html

https://forum.dji.com/thread-203682-1-1.html

2019-12-23
Use props
the1shark
lvl.3
Flight distance : 43156 ft
Israel

I think we need to focus on why it fell out of the sky..
2019-12-23
Use props
hc4mblog
New

Vietnam

lannes Posted at 12-23 08:14
Have a look at these posts, some of these forum members have tried different solutions

https://forum.dji.com/thread-202297-2-1.html

Thank you.
2019-12-23
Use props
djiuser_oGgD2R91705d
lvl.1

Australia

I had the same problem initially, the gimbal seemed stuck during cal, so i bit the bullet and force moved it to centre, calbration worked after that and had had 10 big flights since with no problem...
2019-12-24
Use props
nichxestes
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_oGgD2R91705d Posted at 12-24 01:17
I had the same problem initially, the gimbal seemed stuck during cal, so i bit the bullet and force moved it to centre, calbration worked after that and had had 10 big flights since with no problem...

What do you mean by force moved it to center?
2019-12-24
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

nichxestes Posted at 12-24 10:04
What do you mean by force moved it to center?

Probably means grabbing gimbal and turning it into place.

I had to do this with the Phantom Pro 4 sometimes, when the software calibration didn't full realign it.
2019-12-24
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Contact DJI, get them the logs they need to look into this!
2019-12-24
Use props
Marc Alexander
lvl.1
United States

Changing out the battery did the trick for me. Not sure when the previous battery was updated or if the current one was....
2020-1-14
Use props
djiuser_KK1JAavimkim
New

United States

I flew my mini under the porch not thinking of it losing gps. It went into anti blew into wall and it drove the gimbal back and gimbal froze up and wouldn't move.  I was able to stick my finger in there and pop it back into place.  Works great again.
2020-1-28
Use props
cgmaxedgmail
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1999767 ft
  • >>>
United States

I HAVE A FIX: I have the same issue with my MAVIC AIR 2. The gimbal started sticking (sticky gimbal syndrome) after a hard landing. I HAVE A WORK AROUND FIX. 1) FIRST, turn off your RC.   2) turn on the AirCraft ONLY (aka AC). Watch the gimbal go through its testing. If it Sticks during testing, nudge the gimbal to get it unstuck and let the gimbal test continue. Keep nudging it at the sticky points, until you get it to face forward and It moves up down, left right, clockwise and counterclockwise under the aircraft's own compensation system. Get the gimbal pointing forward. 2) NOW you can turn on the RC, NOT BEFORE. DO NOT TURN  THE RC ON UNTIL THE GIMBAL IS MOVING FREELY IN ALL OF IT'S AXIS under control of the Aircraft. Then , when you turn the RC on, The RC  will see the gimbal as free/ unstuck The gimbal should work normally unless you really jammed it somehow. Water, liquids and debris in the rotating areas can also cause the sticking, My mavic gimbal started sticking after it clipped a tree and fell onto my lawn. Could be a misaligned gimbal joint or debri inside a joint. But, MY WORK AROUND, WORKS FOR ME.
2020-6-21
Use props
fans3f67f766
lvl.1
Lithuania

You should return it to the seller cuz it looks like nothing else but defect
2020-9-5
Use props
fans3f67f766
lvl.1
Lithuania

You should return it to the seller cuz it looks like nothing else but defect
2020-9-5
Use props
djiuser_5ilv6uP16gnp
lvl.1

Australia

I recently got a replacement, out the box I noticed the gimbal wouldn't point down for more than a few seconds and started acting up. I'm going to test fly it properly on the weekend at a park but now I'm kind of scared - I didn't know that control issues can manifest from the gimbal! I did notice from hover tests in the back yard that after 10 minutes the GPS chip inside was red hot, perhaps whatever is wrong with this new one they sent me is wrong with yours. I don't know if it took a hit in shipping and something important moved or what, but very scarily similar sounding.
2021-2-11
Use props
joe mama9
New

United States

my dji mini 3 drone fell and the gimble wont move i tryed to get it recalibrated it stayed at 0% and i think something broke it. it moves line up and down just a tiny bot but if i push it fith my finger its just stays in that position it moves if i turn on the drone on first
2023-11-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

joe mama9 Posted at 11-17 23:28
my dji mini 3 drone fell and the gimble wont move i tryed to get it recalibrated it stayed at 0% and i think something broke it. it moves line up and down just a tiny bot but if i push it fith my finger its just stays in that position it moves if i turn on the drone on first

Hi there. Sorry about what happened with your drone. We suggest sending it to us to get it repaired. You can submit a repair request using this link: https://repair.dji.com/us/repair/index. The warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the assessment including the warranty period of your unit. We appreciate your patience.
2023-11-18
Use props
djiuser_xpdnzv5y8AcG
lvl.1

India

Hi All, I too crashed my DJI Mini 2. I tried but did not get a DJI authorized Service Center nearby. So I started on it myself... Here is what I did and eventually how I repaired my drone

Mini 2 repair Part 1 - https://youtu.be/sFecB9I6GFg
Mini 2 repair Part 2 - https://youtu.be/CWJVSu3PIHM
Mini 2 repair Part 3 - https://youtu.be/T5qyRwP8Upc
Mini 2 repair Part 4 - https://youtu.be/4YNAn8FELq0
Mini 2 repair Part 4 - https://youtu.be/s8-IuVaXb0o

Hope this helps
2023-12-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules