2093 15 2019-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans8052a469
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2913 ft
Portugal

Hi,

Is it possible to cache the maps? I want to put my phone in airplane mode. How does the maps behave in that scenario?
2019-12-23
Use props
George GR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2990653 ft
Greece

i fly with airplane mode and active gps!
2019-12-23
Use props
fans8052a469
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2913 ft
Portugal

George GR Posted at 12-23 04:27
i fly with airplane mode and active gps!

And you can see the map?
2019-12-23
Use props
George GR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2990653 ft
Greece

i see maps normally without any problems!
2019-12-23
Use props
emaneg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1591 ft
Italy

if you open goolglemaps before your flight, the maps are automatically cached. Of course you have to move around in order to cache all the area you intend flying through.

What about downloading local maps as if you were using them offline? Anyone can answer or I'll have to check?
2019-12-23
Use props
jonny007
lvl.4
Germany

You can't download maps as in such gps devices or navigation apps, but it is as you described. WLAN enabled, open the map in flyapp, tap the region where you intend to fly, maximize the sector and slide with the finger around. So the whole area will be cached. You simply can check it by turn off WLAN, start the app and the map, go to the area which were cached and you can see it. Only the normal map, not the satellite view.
2019-12-23
Use props
emaneg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1591 ft
Italy

jonny007 Posted at 12-23 07:06
You can't download maps as in such gps devices or navigation apps, but it is as you described. WLAN enabled, open the map in flyapp, tap the region where you intend to fly, maximize the sector and slide with the finger around. So the whole area will be cached. You simply can check it by turn off WLAN, start the app and the map, go to the area which were cached and you can see it. Only the normal map, not the satellite view.

googlemaps allow you to download the map of whatever area and then use it offline.  Check on your googlemaps app!
2019-12-23
Use props
jonny007
lvl.4
Germany

You don't need to scream, I am able to read you. Tried it and doesn't work. The downloaded map of a certain area is available in google maps...offline...thats right, but not in the flyapp. So I conlude, that the app doesn't use the (map)cache from googlempas, but its own.
2019-12-23
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused you. With regards to the map cache. It is recommended to cache the map with Internet before flight. At home, with WiFi enabled, go into the DJI Fly application, and be sure cache Maps. Please have your drone turned on, when you do this process. Now open the DJI Fly application and bring up Map View. Once you have everything running, scroll to your proposed flying area. Zoom in, to the flight area, and scroll the map around, well beyond your planned flight zone. After doing these process and once you turn everything off, the proper map should be available on the DJI Fly application. Thank you.
2019-12-23
Use props
lifeisfun
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Paladin Posted at 2019-12-23 12:48
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused you. With regards to the map cache. It is recommended to cache the map with Internet before flight. At home, with WiFi enabled, go into the DJI Fly application, and be sure cache Maps. Please have your drone turned on, when you do this process. Now open the DJI Fly application and bring up Map View. Once you have everything running, scroll to your proposed flying area. Zoom in, to the flight area, and scroll the map around, well beyond your planned flight zone. After doing these process and once you turn everything off, the proper map should be available on the DJI Fly application. Thank you.

Can you do this, then turn off the device, move to other part of the world and it will be still available when you fly there?
Thanks
2020-1-1
Use props
jonny007
lvl.4
Germany

I can confirm, that THIS works, but as I wrote above...this has nothing to do with the googlemaps (offline) cache.
Take a test ...in googlemaps load a section from an area far away, which you still have not selected in the flyapp, as an offline map in google maps. Disconnect the internet connection on the smartphone, start the flyapp and go to this area. You will only see the inaccurate overview (highway, rivers, etc.) but no details that you have previously cached in google maps. What does that say? The flyapp uses its own map cache and not that of google maps.
2020-1-1
Use props
djiuser_WFxwb3PkZgsK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1972316 ft
United States

jonny007 Posted at 1-1 09:07
I can confirm, that THIS works, but as I wrote above...this has nothing to do with the googlemaps (offline) cache.
Take a test ...in googlemaps load a section from an area far away, which you still have not selected in the flyapp, as an offline map in google maps. Disconnect the internet connection on the smartphone, start the flyapp and go to this area. You will only see the inaccurate overview (highway, rivers, etc.) but no details that you have previously cached in google maps. What does that say? The flyapp uses its own map cache and not that of google maps.

I don't think there is currently a dedicated option or setting to cache a map area to the Fly app. If there is I certainly can't find anything about it. I do think it would be helpful to have the option to cache map areas in the Fly app for several reasons.

I also prefer to keep my phone data connections / WiFi etc. turned off during flights mainly to reduce possibility for interruptions. I definitely don't want calls or notifications taking over my screen while I'm focused on flying / filming.

This is what I've been doing regarding loading maps then flying without phone data connection:
(Provided that some data connection will available where you plan to fly.)

When I get set up at the location that I'm going to fly, I power everything on and I start the Fly app with data connections / WiFi ON, and connect to the Mavic Mini. I expand the on screen map in the Fly app and scroll around the area I plan to fly so that it has an opportunity to load that area (at least temporarily).

When I'm ready to takeoff, I then turn off the phone's data connections and Wifi without leaving the Fly app. My map seems to function fine within the areas already loaded, but I wouldn't expect them to remain after fully exiting the Fly app.
2020-1-2
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I just use a mi-fi (wireless mobile hotspot) with a data only sim card connect, I can't be bothered with caching maps, zooming into detail etc.
It's better to have real time update of mapping

I haven't experienced any channel intereference issues and the mi-fi saves the phone battery for flying

You can be in flight mode if you have to and still have real time mapping

2020-1-2
Use props
lifeisfun
lvl.4
Canada

lannes Posted at 1-2 03:03
I just use a mi-fi (wireless mobile hotspot) with a data only sim card connect, I can't be bothered with caching maps, zooming into detail etc.
It's better to have real time update of mapping

There is many areas without and data connections available, so this should be fixed.
2020-1-2
Use props
jonny007
lvl.4
Germany

djiuser_WFxwb3PkZgsK Posted at 1-2 00:55
I don't think there is currently a dedicated option or setting to cache a map area to the Fly app. If there is I certainly can't find anything about it. I do think it would be helpful to have the option to cache map areas in the Fly app for several reasons.

I also prefer to keep my phone data connections / WiFi etc. turned off during flights mainly to reduce possibility for interruptions. I definitely don't want calls or notifications taking over my screen while I'm focused on flying / filming.

Right, there is currently no special option like in the go app, but the way you do is exactly correct and yes, the cache is retained even if you quit the app or restart the smartphone. Test it, exit the app, turn on flight mode, start the app and call up the map with the area you previously have cached. Of course, the cache may be cleared if any strange "smartphone cleaner apps" are running.
2020-1-2
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

lifeisfun Posted at 1-1 07:13
Can you do this, then turn off the device, move to other part of the world and it will be still available when you fly there?
Thanks

Thank you for the follow up question. Once the map has been cached please make sure that the cached files in you phone are not deleted and you will be able to load the cached map. Thank you.
2020-1-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules