Interesting information.
2019-12-23
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just replied to another thread about a test I just did with an iPhone XR and a Samsung GS9 using a strong magnet from an old hard drive, I was unable to make any difference in compass heading on either phone, save 1 degree difference on the samsung. Although not conclusive as that is all the devices I have access too, I have to think either poor quality device ingress insulation in some devices or the interference is something different that magnetic.
2019-12-23
Use props
Minnesota
lvl.4
United States

JodyB Posted at 12-23 08:05
I just replied to another thread about a test I just did with an iPhone XR and a Samsung GS9 using a strong magnet from an old hard drive, I was unable to make any difference in compass heading on either phone, save 1 degree difference on the samsung. Although not conclusive as that is all the devices I have access too, I have to think either poor quality device ingress insulation in some devices or the interference is something different that magnetic.

I just read that Phones and tablets either use a magnetometer compass that uses the earth's magnetic field, or an electronic compass that uses GPS and accelerators, or a combination.  
2019-12-23
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Minnesota Posted at 12-23 08:21
I just read that Phones and tablets either use a magnetometer compass that uses the earth's magnetic field, or an electronic compass that uses GPS and accelerators, or a combination.

I would imagine that an electronic compass would suffer little to no affect from the test that I did. Still intriguing though.
2019-12-23
Use props
emaneg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1591 ft
Italy

it's always advisable to perform compass calibration. I suggest to calibrate it when inserted into the RC clamps, so as to compensate magnetic / paramagnetic compnents into the RC
2019-12-23
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thank you for for sharing this informative video and thank you for your valued support.
2019-12-23
Use props
Minnesota
lvl.4
United States

emaneg Posted at 12-23 09:32
it's always advisable to perform compass calibration. I suggest to calibrate it when inserted into the RC clamps, so as to compensate magnetic / paramagnetic compnents into the RC

I did that and it made no difference in my case.  That somewhat surprised me.
2019-12-23
Use props
Niknik
First Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

with my galaxy note 9 the radar works fine
2019-12-23
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ok I just tried the same experiment with my iPhone XR, Samsung galaxy s9 and iPad Air 2. None of the three compass readings on either device was affected to the degree by the RC that was shown in the video. In fact, none of the devices displayed any deviances even to one degree. Only thing I can think of is the shielding involved with the brand of phone, but without other devices to test with, still just conjecture.
2019-12-23
Use props
emaneg
lvl.3
Italy

JodyB Posted at 12-23 17:55
Ok I just tried the same experiment with my iPhone XR, Samsung galaxy s9 and iPad Air 2. None of the three compass readings on either device was affected to the degree by the RC that was shown in the video. In fact, none of the devices displayed any deviances even to one degree. Only thing I can think of is the shielding involved with the brand of phone, but without other devices to test with, still just conjecture.

JodyB, if you shield your mobile phone from external perturbating magnetic fields, you shield also as regards the magnetic field of earth, hence your compass can't give any indication at all!

There is another explication we are looking for...
2019-12-24
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

emaneg Posted at 12-24 02:07
JodyB, if you shield your mobile phone from external perturbating magnetic fields, you shield also as regards the magnetic field of earth, hence your compass can't give any indication at all!

There is another explication we are looking for...

After thinking about it, I get that for those devices that work non-electronic compass. Which is what I’m thinking are the devices that are being affected. But in this case where they are being affected y the rc, some shielding between the rc and phone might do the trick, if that is what’s causing the issue with those certain devices. Again, my testing is nonconclusive since I don’t have access to other devices besides the three that I have.
2019-12-24
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

What if you just rotated the phone 180 degrees?
2019-12-24
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

From the symptoms that I've read, I would draw that it would be out 90 degrees the opposite direction. I saw a video where a guy rotated his phone from landscape mode to portrait mode and it corrected it. 90 degrees in other words. It would make more sense of the photo's that I've seen of the ones that are displaying this issue to be rotated 180 degrees. It's challenging for me because I don't have any affected devices to test with.....
2019-12-24
Use props
emaneg
lvl.3
Italy

I did a quick test:
- insert the phone between the RC clamps
- calibrate the compass
- it works more or less!!

I'll do more tourough tests (no metallic bodies around, reference compass available, cross-checking rotating the RC+phone body,...) to be definitely sure about.

Anyway, when you split RC and phone, you have to recalibrate the phone, obviously.
2019-12-24
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

I took a whack at this and here's my results:

Seems like Metal interfernce is the key here, so looking at the exploded view/xray of a Galaxy S9 (Phone in video) you can see the antenna wires run along the top left side of the phone.

Looking at the Mavic Mini's controller (Curtosy of Dronedj) you can see the likely cause of our compass interferance.

My S9's orientation is off but most of the time it's correct, I feel like for those who have issues should try flippin their phones around or using a 3rd party tablet mount and mount the phone away from the radio but both of these requiire a longer cable per your device.

2019-12-24
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

Can't edit the above post, but looking at the photo my antenna's are clearly at the bottom, but the motherboard/chipset is in that region otherwise and interferes with the device.
2019-12-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules