SD Format
23055 16 2019-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AE1M
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1862884 ft
United States

I formatted my SD as exFAT because it supports larger files and is readably by MAC & PC.

When I fly, my recorded files can seem to be only 4GB, it then starts another file to finish the video.

What format are you guys using or is this a MM limitation?

Bob

2019-12-23
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Belgium

I always format the memory card in my cameras / drone, as it is possible that when recording pictures or video, your camera can't cope with the formatting of the memory card. In that case you risk losing your precious footage.
Maybe you can gain some space, but be aware it can lead to loss of your photos or video.
2019-12-23
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

always use the drone and the go fly app to format the microsd card while it is inserted in the drone
2019-12-23
Use props
AE1M
lvl.4
United States

JohnDG Posted at 12-23 10:42
I always format the memory card in my cameras / drone, as it is possible that when recording pictures or video, your camera can't cope with the formatting of the memory card. In that case you risk losing your precious footage.
Maybe you can gain some space, but be aware it can lead to loss of your photos or video.

I understand.  I can do that but do you know if SD cards formatted in the MM will be readable by both MAC & PC?
2019-12-23
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I read somewhere, but can't find it now, that the DJI Fly App only supports fat 32 file system whereas the DJI Go App supports exFAT.
2019-12-23
Use props
AE1M
lvl.4
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 12-23 10:56
I read somewhere, but can't find it now, that the DJI Fly App only supports fat 32 file system whereas the DJI Go App supports exFAT.

I did format it exFAT but seems to limit to 4GB which was 17+ mins at default video. Then it started a second file with next sequential number (ie DJI_0073.MP4 then DJI_0074.MP4).  I have formatted it in the MM, MAC still reads it OK, we'll see if the recording behaviour changes.

2019-12-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Bob. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for reaching out. With regards to this issue. The maximum file size of FAT32 is 4GB. Hence, a file that is larger than or equal to 4GB will be divided, otherwise, the file may be lost or abnormal and cannot be read. Although exFAT allows a larger file size, the larger file may be damaged due to abnormal power-off and SD card removal, or even cannot be recovered. So the storage of the camera is 4GB regardless of the file systems. So it is normal the video will be split if it reaches 4GB. Thank you.
2019-12-23
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

I wanted to format my 32GB card on the PC under Win10 with exFAT filesystem. So far so good, but when I inserted it into the mini, the card wasn't recognized. So I have to format it again in the app and as I connected it to the PC with a cardreader it shows me filesystem FAT32. So I think, if the card is equal or under 32GB it was formated with FAT32, otherwise exFAT, but it seems not possible to format exFAT with cards less or equal 32 GB. By the way....that there is a sizelimit of 4GB as Stephen said is new for me. I only know about a timelimit of 30 minutes for a single video. FAT32 has a limit of 4GB, exFAT unlimited in my opinion.
2019-12-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

AE1M Posted at 12-23 11:34
I did format it exFAT but seems to limit to 4GB which was 17+ mins at default video. Then it started a second file with next sequential number (ie DJI_0073.MP4 then DJI_0074.MP4).  I have formatted it in the MM, MAC still reads it OK, we'll see if the recording behaviour changes.

The reason for splitting files into two after they reach 4GB has nothing to do with that FAT32 or ExFAT formatting. It is an historical limitation that was set up many years ago by Japanese camera manufacturers to get around import taxation, where a camera that could record a file greater than 4GB was considered a 'recorder' while anything under is a 'camera'. These days there is no need for that distinction, but it still hangs around in many cameras.

But it is not too much of a problem as you can simply join the two files together using an Editor, without loss of frames.
2019-12-23
Use props
oldhasbeen
lvl.4
Australia

forward orientated 64 bit software but antiquated file limitation?
2019-12-23
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

AE1M Posted at 12-23 10:47
I understand.  I can do that but do you know if SD cards formatted in the MM will be readable by both MAC & PC?

yes, when i remove the microsd card formatted in the mm and insert it into my mac, reads the files just fine.
2019-12-23
Use props
Niknik
First Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

You can format the card inside the dji fly app when the drone is connected
2019-12-23
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Belgium

I don't know by Mac, but I read my cards on my pc with a build in card reader as well on my portables with an external card reader without problems.
2019-12-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Absolutely, otherwise you would hear the screaming on here from all over the planet. The general rule is that cards formatted into the device you are going to use to shoot video or photos are the best place to format the card, because the device knows exactly which format to choose.
2019-12-23
Use props
emaneg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1591 ft
Italy

if you just turn on your MM and then plug the usb cable in the MM and in your PC, you read your SD card as an external storage device and you can copy/transfer your files very quickly
2019-12-24
Use props
EricOwen
lvl.1
United States

Niknik Posted at 2019-12-23 17:27
You can format the card inside the dji fly app when the drone is connected

Would you mind explaining how and where in the DJI Fly App that can be done?
2020-8-21
Use props
Kokesh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 70961 ft
Sweden

Just has this happen to me with Samsung 64GB PRO UHS-1 Class 3 card. Tried everything, drone refused to format it. What helped was the SD Formatter tool from SD consortium. https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/eula_windows/index.html
2020-9-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules