Australian Mavic Mini Range
14603 90 2019-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Freerange
lvl.2

Australia

Falal Posted at 2-7 17:33
I'm almost ready to buy this drone. Interesting reading the distances some people quote. According to CASA, rules for flying drones state that it must always be within eyesight - not with goggles or other controllers. This drone being the colour that it is, I find it hard to believe anyone could see it at 1 km distance, let alone further! Some reviewers stated that when the drone is up high, it is very difficult to see against the sky.
So, interested if anyone can point out that I am wrong  ;-)

On an overcast day you can loose sight of it at 30m off the ground.
2020-2-7
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

Flight in dense urban can get up to 1km. Suburban area I get 1.8km. Make sure you have good LOS.
2020-2-8
Use props
Falal
lvl.1

Australia

Freerange Posted at 2-7 17:47
On an overcast day you can loose sight of it at 30m off the ground.

Yep, I can believe that. Actually just bought the drone today. iPhone 6 Plus just fits onto the RC, but the damn connector cable is too short to fit into the RC. Unless I'm missing something, bit nicked off I can't use the RC at the moment then!
2020-2-8
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Falal Posted at 2-8 23:27
Yep, I can believe that. Actually just bought the drone today. iPhone 6 Plus just fits onto the RC, but the damn connector cable is too short to fit into the RC. Unless I'm missing something, bit nicked off I can't use the RC at the moment then!

The included cable should fit, are you feeding it through the slot in the RC jaw on the left side.
The phone needs to be orientatated with the lightning port on the left and you will need to take off any protective cover

2020-2-9
Use props
Falal
lvl.1

Australia

lannes Posted at 2-9 00:05
The included cable should fit, are you feeding it through the slot in the RC jaw on the left side.
The phone needs to be orientatated with the lightning port on the left and you will need to take off any protective cover

Ah yeah thanks, I just worked that out 15 mins ago. One other problem that I may be missing the solution - the RC. How do I charge that up? I don't have lightning or USB-C ports on my laptop and PC. In the small pamphlet listing what's in the box, a mains plug is shown, but that was not in the box.

Other than that, got a few minutes flying time in, but the RC is low on power - see above  ;-)
2020-2-9
Use props
Falal
lvl.1

Australia

Falal Posted at 2-9 00:24
Ah yeah thanks, I just worked that out 15 mins ago. One other problem that I may be missing the solution - the RC. How do I charge that up? I don't have lightning or USB-C ports on my laptop and PC. In the small pamphlet listing what's in the box, a mains plug is shown, but that was not in the box.

Other than that, got a few minutes flying time in, but the RC is low on power - see above  ;-)

Okay, skip comments about charging RC. Duh, just worked out that I can use same USB cable to charge drone AND the RC. Bit of a pain, one at a time. Might purchase a separate charger from DJI. Oh and thanks for your help!

PS: Even if all was fully charged, the winds here in Sth West Victoria are shocking - and have been for days. Good test in a way for the mini, but not for me being a drone newbie ;-)
2020-2-9
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Falal Posted at 2-9 00:44
Okay, skip comments about charging RC. Duh, just worked out that I can use same USB cable to charge drone AND the RC. Bit of a pain, one at a time. Might purchase a separate charger from DJI. Oh and thanks for your help!

PS: Even if all was fully charged, the winds here in Sth West Victoria are shocking - and have been for days. Good test in a way for the mini, but not for me being a drone newbie ;-)

You can use any micro usb cable and wall charger to charge the RC, just be careful of the strange micro usb-A port that DJI uses on the controller, which is rectangular in shape and allows the micro usb connector to be inserted in it upside down thereby damaging the tab in the port.

It you look at the port in the RC, the tab is in the lower half and this needs to be aligned properly with the the hole in the micro usb connector
2020-2-9
Use props
djiuser_0OIqux498JE9
New

Australia

djiuser_HWKrrV5oCnkV Posted at 1-19 15:14
Is it just me, or is DJI sailing close to the wind in Australia as far as our consumer l laws are concerned?
I just received a MM for a birthday present. I was VERY frustrated to find that despite claims, it couldnt be used with the Samsung phones as advertised. I know this issue is being worked on, but selling something that is basically useless until this fix is done is illegal. Then to find that the range claims made, according to all the comments here, are basically false in Australia, is also selling something under false pretenses.
I managed to get mine flying by using an older phone. I could easily fly 1.5km and still be over my own property and im yet to test the distance limits, but flying somewhere with little or no obstructions  (trees, terrain change) seems a little boring. Should i be concerned about these before trying to fly some distance?

I have a samsung note 10 + and it works perfectly fine...
2020-3-1
Use props
Nand0s
lvl.1

Australia

Does anyone have an update or solution with this? I have quite enjoyed my Mavic mini but the range has been far from what is advertised and at times incredibly disappointing, I even almost lost it at about 800m in Koh Tao island Thailand (granted the winds ended up being worse than I thought).  I don't think I have ever achieved close to 1km, including flying in multiple countries as well as rural WA (without a doubt no interference in rural WA).

Ignoring the legalities around the claimed range of the drone I think it is pretty poor I can't manage more than 800m absolutely max. They advertised 4km and yet the last test I did without interference I managed 500m before the video feed started cutting.
2020-7-10
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Inanis Posted at 2019-12-23 20:32
The Mini in Australia is the FCC variant, however in Australia, China and a few other places it switches to a SRRC mode which limits the 5.8ghz bandwith channels, and effectively limits the max range to 2.5kms as opposed to the 4 advertised in full FCC mode.

Excellent. You get the prize for the correct answer.

All AU sold drones are not FCC they are SRRC

Cheers
2020-7-10
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

For those of us in Oz.

Here are the rules from CASA

https://www.casa.gov.au/drones/rules