Note: Stop the video recording before turning off devices.
6252 11 2019-12-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
speed_freakz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 569852 ft
Thailand

Hi just wanted to share my experiance from today. Anyway I finishe dmy flying and it was getting dark , also I was running late for some Xmass event afterwards. Somwhow I didnt stopped reccording of the video and I turned both mavic and controller, when I got home the video was corrupted and it couldnt be played. So yea, dont make the smae mistake.
2019-12-24
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry to know about what happened to your captured video and thank you for sharing your insights. This information will be a great help to our valued DJI co pilots and thank you for your valued support.
2019-12-24
Use props
fansa029aa8c
lvl.4
Flight distance : 568340 ft
  • >>>
United States

If I were you I would put the uSD card back in the mini, turn the mini on wait for a minute and turn the mini off. Then remove the uSD card and see if you then can view the video. It sounds like the video file was not closed properly.
2019-12-24
Use props
speed_freakz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 569852 ft
Thailand

fansa029aa8c Posted at 12-24 09:39
If I were you I would put the uSD card back in the mini, turn the mini on wait for a minute and turn the mini off. Then remove the uSD card and see if you then can view the video. It sounds like the video file was not closed properly.

Ill try just for the testing purpose, it was nothing important, just casual flying.
2019-12-24
Use props
BobWinNV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

I forgot to stop record before shutting everything down on a couple of flights now. When I remove the uSD card and move the video to my computer it seems to be the there but will not play. I have found that putting the uSD card back into the MM and using the Fly App to view the video works and that downloading the video to my phone with the Fly app fixes the video file so that it can be played on my computer.

Not the best solution but it lets me recover the video.
2019-12-24
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

pretty sure you learn to make it a habit to stop video before turning anything off.
2019-12-24
Use props
djiuser_ddzj8PuLI1Zu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2543323 ft
Ukraine

I also got few corrupted files.
DJI - Is it so hard to have option to auto-stop recording and finalize file after landing??
And also why you DJI can not implement fast  stop and finalize video file when power off button pressed?
Your devices have not 100$ price tag, it should be an option to protect customer video. Video - that what we buying your drones for.
2020-9-5
Use props
K6CCC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

I ran into that when I crashed my Mini last night.  I was recording and it went dark when it crashed.  I didn't have much choice on stopping recording before powerdown...  The file was not watchable.  After finding that the Mini would power up on another battery, I put the card in and powered up the Mini for a minute or so and powered down.  Worked fine.  Now I have video of my crash (see my post on the crash if you want to see it (it's not very exciting).
2020-9-5
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing. The file is actually saved to the micro sd card after the recording is stopped. So if you turn off the drone whilst still recording the current video file will be lost and yes, it can corrupt the whole card. Always ensure to stop record before turning off the drone as part of a post flight check.
2020-9-6
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

A J Posted at 9-6 16:44
Thanks for sharing. The file is actually saved to the micro sd card after the recording is stopped. So if you turn off the drone whilst still recording the current video file will be lost and yes, it can corrupt the whole card. Always ensure to stop record before turning off the drone as part of a post flight check.

Not quite. The file is an MPEG stream, meaning it is in effect a continuous file, it is not saved after the recording is stopped, rather when you lose power, or shut the aircraft down, the file is not 'finalised', which is a fancy way of saying the end-of-file information is not written to the file, sometimes this is referred to as 'finalising' the file. The aircraft firmware has a routine that can detect this when the system is initialised, so switching the aircraft back on again briefly will write the appropriate termination information and the file will become readable.

It would not normally corrupt the card, sometimes people do not stop recording before shutting down a number of times leaving a trail of unfinished files, which tends to make people think the entire card is corrupt.
2020-9-6
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 9-6 17:00
Not quite. The file is an MPEG stream, meaning it is in effect a continuous file, it is not saved after the recording is stopped, rather when you lose power, or shut the aircraft down, the file is not 'finalised', which is a fancy way of saying the end-of-file information is not written to the file, sometimes this is referred to as 'finalising' the file. The aircraft firmware has a routine that can detect this when the system is initialised, so switching the aircraft back on again briefly will write the appropriate termination information and the file will become readable.

It would not normally corrupt the card, sometimes people do not stop recording before shutting down a number of times leaving a trail of unfinished files, which tends to make people think the entire card is corrupt.

OK - so the file is not finalised Thanks for the info
2020-9-6
Use props
amir_KING
Second Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

I make a habit of turning off video while landing, why do you need to film that?
2020-9-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules