Mavic Mini Flyaway
10379 211 2019-12-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

fansdb984e64 Posted at 12-25 16:23
Pls. Its not my firet flight with a drone okay?

No, but it was your last flight.  Lol.

Just because you have flown a drone before it does not mean you know that controls are disabled during RTH.   Many people have made the same mistake.
2019-12-25
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fansdb984e64 Posted at 12-25 16:28
I know that the mavic 2 is much more powerfull than the mavic mini. But it has nothing to do with the mavic 2 pro in this case. Its only about the mavic mini

What I am trying to say is that a mini can't handle the same weather conditions as a MP2, so that it can't fly in the same conditions when you assume it can given your experience with you MP2
2019-12-25
Use props
fansdb984e64
lvl.4
Flight distance : 281880 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Cookster670 Posted at 12-25 16:39
No, but it was your last flight.  Lol.

Just because you have flown a drone before it does not mean you know that controls are disabled during RTH.   Many people have made the same mistake.

Pls dont write in this case, your not realy a help.
2019-12-25
Use props
fansdb984e64
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

lannes Posted at 12-25 16:56
What I am trying to say is that a mini can't handle the same weather conditions as a MP2, so that it can't fly in the same conditions when you assume it can given your experience with you MP2

I said that i had multiple flights with the mini in almost the same weather conditions and i never had a problem wirh losing connection or problems with rth or anything.
2019-12-25
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

wow, tough crowd here.  i can hear (read) the frustration in the op's posts.
2019-12-25
Use props
fansdb984e64
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

The Saint Posted at 12-25 17:18
wow, tough crowd here.  i can hear (read) the frustration in the op's posts.

Yea because of sensless comments
2019-12-25
Use props
fans17de0bd1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 750226 ft
Malaysia

driftking.de Posted at 12-25 11:37
Hello,

Its really sounds like the fly away in my case (check below). My Mavic Mini also flew backwards more far away instead of comming home. DJI said it was because of strong wind, but there was no strong wind like the evidences in my post show!

This is what happened to me. See my thread below. The Mini flew backwards and the backwards sideways turning. I do not have control of the Mini until I hit the RTH button, the Mini stops and hovered and I manually landed it.  Prior to that there was zero control response from the Mini. I witnessed the whole fly away as it flew off shortly after take off. It was not windy at all. Height was around 30-40 meters. Airdata shows 5 miles of wind speed.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=205018&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D712%26typeid%3D712
2019-12-25
Use props
fans17de0bd1
lvl.2
Malaysia

fansdb984e64 Posted at 12-25 16:23
Pls. Its not my firet flight with a drone okay?

Rightly said. My flyaway was blamed on wind factor and height by some - 30 to 40 meters height and 5 miles of wind? This is not my first flight too...
2019-12-25
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

fansdb984e64 Posted at 12-25 16:58
Pls dont write in this case, your not realy a help.

I actually was trying to help in my original post.   You did not acknowledge it, you did not say you did or did not know that fact (which many others do not).   You simply responded with a smart comment that it’s not your first drone.   That is not helpful at all.

You came here asking for advice as to why your drone and a flyway, I provided a possible explanation and you were rude back to me acting like you know all about drones....Yet you had a flyway.

Don’t go asking for help if you don’t want to hear the answers and don’t be rude to people who are trying to help...then maybe they won’t reply with an equally rude response.
2019-12-25
Use props
fans17de0bd1
lvl.2
Malaysia

fansdb984e64 Posted at 12-25 16:26
I know exactly that it was a clear flyaway, im the last one who would not say if it was something different.

I am with you on this. You will know a flyaway when it happens.
2019-12-25
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

fans17de0bd1 Posted at 12-25 18:27
Rightly said. My flyaway was blamed on wind factor and height by some - 30 to 40 meters height and 5 miles of wind? This is not my first flight too...

Your flight logs didn’t seem to show any wind related issues.  Doesn’t seem like anyone can determine why yours had a flyway yet.    However this flight was 40km-63km wind conditions.   So it’s not the same type of problem.  
2019-12-25
Use props
fansdb984e64
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Cookster670 Posted at 12-25 18:29
I actually was trying to help in my original post.   You did not acknowledge it, you did not say you did or did not know that fact (which many others do not).   You simply responded with a smart comment that it’s not your first drone.   That is not helpful at all.

You came here asking for advice as to why your drone and a flyway, I provided a possible explanation and you were rude back to me acting like you know all about drones....Yet you had a flyway.

Whats your problem? I mean if its so clear for you that it is caused 100% by wind why you texting so much?
2019-12-25
Use props
fansdb984e64
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

fans17de0bd1 Posted at 12-25 18:29
I am with you on this. You will know a flyaway when it happens.

You dont even understand what i mean with clear flyaway, some people try to make a 1000 % cause on only one fact.. but there have to be much much more
2019-12-25
Use props
RBI
Second Officer

Philippines

@fansdb984e64
Your social tone may be normal in kopterforum.de ...
here, in this forum, we have other manners with each other. Merry Christmas.
2019-12-25
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cookster670 Posted at 12-25 18:29

im curious so i'm just asking for a friend.

is there a such thing as someone having a "flyaway"....in a bad sort of context?  you know, as if it's a poor reflection on the pilot.  im wondering if your mavic mini got away from you do we somehow blame the pilot and if so, is it appropriate to sanction the pilot?  i understand there are different factors and the facts of each incident are subjective but is it appropriate to refer to a flyaway as loss of control that should not have happened had the pilot were more experienced?

for cars, we have clearly defined accidents as your fault or his fault but eventually if you get too many accidents that are "his fault" starts to reflect poorly on the driver.  how about flyaways?
2019-12-25
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

fansdb984e64 Posted at 12-25 19:01
Whats your problem? I mean if its so clear for you that it is caused 100% by wind why you texting so much?

My problem is that you started a post indicating through no fault of your own the drone flew away.  Implying that the the drone is faulty and wanting DJI to take responsiblity.   But upon investigation it appears that you were flying in conditions it was not designed for.    It as too windy....way above specifications.   That should be enough to tell you why it was not the drones fault, but your own.

You then asked why RTH didn’t work, and I responded with a possible reason with the best intentions.   You dismissed that rudely advising this isn’t your first drone.

So you are happy to blame others for your mistakes, be rude to those who try help and take no responsibility for your own errors.....so that’s kind of my problem.
2019-12-25
Use props
fans17de0bd1
lvl.2
Malaysia

The Saint Posted at 12-25 19:54

is there a such thing as someone having a "flyaway"....in a bad sort of context?  you know, as if it's a poor reflection on the pilot.  im wondering if your mavic mini got away from you do we somehow blame the pilot and if so, is it appropriate to sanction the pilot?  i understand there are different factors and the facts of each incident are subjective but is it appropriate to refer to a flyaway as loss of control that should not have happened had the pilot were more experienced?

Let me share my experience.
1. Preflight check ok (satellite, compass, imu etc)
2. Start engine for manual take off;
3. Manual take off, hover between 30- 40 meters;
4. Heard Mini engine sound at full power, look up saw Mini flying backward;
5. Check remote to see any abnormality (eg stick getting stuck), nothing;
6. Look up again saw Mini now flying backwards but turning side ways at full power;
7. Tried in vain to control the Mini, nothing happening;
8. Push RTH button, Mini stops and hover;
9. Regain control, manual land.
Maybe it’s aircraft firmware or remote firmware or maybe even battery firm (updated the batt firmware before flight).
I was lucky.. now grounding the Mini and keeping and keeping in view of the issue.
Thanks for reading. Hope the above could assist diagnosing the problem.  
2019-12-25
Use props
RBI
Second Officer

Philippines

fansdb984e64 Posted at 12-25 07:51
My interpratation is my experiece, i hope you understand. My feeling was that i had no controll at all about the mavic mini, first. Second if i feel a strong wind or bad weather conditions i would never start my drone, especially not the Mavic Mini. On this day i can say for sure that there was no difference between the orher days i flew before in terms of weather condition. So combined with the whole process and the fact that the drone never reactet, not even a little bit on my inputs confirmed my feeling/experience that this was not my fault and if DJi will not replace this Drone it was my last one from this Company. Caude i already have a Mavic 2 Pro and a DJi Smart Controller and and and... just for let dji know what im talking about. Good evening from Germany

This angle of attack of the MM clearly shows that the MM is fighting against the wind at the power limit in order to maintain its position.

screenshot of your log file.

2019-12-25
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

The Saint Posted at 12-25 19:54

is there a such thing as someone having a "flyaway"....in a bad sort of context?  you know, as if it's a poor reflection on the pilot.  im wondering if your mavic mini got away from you do we somehow blame the pilot and if so, is it appropriate to sanction the pilot?  i understand there are different factors and the facts of each incident are subjective but is it appropriate to refer to a flyaway as loss of control that should not have happened had the pilot were more experienced?

I’m sure there are legimiate flyaways.  I had/have a spark and that had many reported flyaways and going through logs, a lot of them seemed to be unexplainable.  I had my own theory about that, possibly to do with overheating...but no proof

However I’ve seen a few flyaway mini posts too...and in many cases, it’s in high wind.  I’ve only seen 1 or 2 that seemed to be unexplainable

So I don’t feel there is a stigma about having a flyway...just unfortunate...but most seem to have a known cause.
2019-12-25
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans17de0bd1 Posted at 12-25 20:13

Did you push the RC RTH and if so did you just push it or did you push and hold.  The RTH on the MM RC is a dual function button.  A simple press will halt and hover the MM but a press and hold will initiate a RTH.
2019-12-25
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

fans17de0bd1 Posted at 12-25 20:13
Did the AC sensors show up any increased compass interference
2019-12-25
Use props
fansdb984e64
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Cookster670 Posted at 12-25 19:58
My problem is that you started a post indicating through no fault of your own the drone flew away.  Implying that the the drone is faulty and wanting DJI to take responsiblity.   But upon investigation it appears that you were flying in conditions it was not designed for.    It as too windy....way above specifications.   That should be enough to tell you why it was not the drones fault, but your own.

You then asked why RTH didn’t work, and I responded with a possible reason with the best intentions.   You dismissed that rudely advising this isn’t your first drone.

Yea and this is exactly the reason why i said to you dont write anymore in this case because you have no idea, even 0,001% whos fault that was okay?  Have you bik there with me? I guess no! So who are you to say that this is my fault? You were not here with me flying the drone, you were not „life „ there to say wether it was bad or good weaher conditoon. And do you know what? Die truely good thing is i am the only one who was there and i will explain the situation from my feeling and experience to somebody from the Manager Department from DJi!

Good Night
2019-12-25
Use props
fansdb984e64
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

RBI Posted at 12-25 20:22
This angle of attack of the MM clearly shows that the MM is fighting against the wind at the power limit in order to maintain its position.

[view_image]

You guys only see the wind... i understand that you only have this fact to argue. But youre not right, trust me
2019-12-25
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

fansdb984e64 Posted at 12-25 21:07
You guys only see the wind... i understand that you only have this fact to argue. But youre not right, trust me

If you want to talk to the “managers” then work through your support case that you logged.   You created this post on a public forum so you could ask others for help.   We gave that help and you’ve dismissed it.

I have not made up any of this, I was not there, I am responding to the evicence provided BY YOUR OWN FLIGHT LOGS.

I could care less if you take note or not.  Go ahead and get another drone, fly it in a hurricane, then blame the drone again....fine with me.   But if you’re going to say on a public forum that it’s all the drones fault, then don’t be surprised if you get called out for it
2019-12-25
Use props
fansdb984e64
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Cookster670 Posted at 12-25 21:47
If you want to talk to the “managers” then work through your support case that you logged.   You created this post on a public forum so you could ask others for help.   We gave that help and you’ve dismissed it.

I have not made up any of this, I was not there, I am responding to the evicence provided BY YOUR OWN FLIGHT LOGS.

You really exaggerating
2019-12-25
Use props
fansdb984e64
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

For you who saying wind... hope it gives you a different perspective of view by the way, in my flight it wasnt even 5% of that wind even in my altitude.. so i really hope it changes a bit your way of thing about this incedent, cause sometimes it isnt like it looks like

https://youtu.be/Z07QNVYc3Uo
2019-12-25
Use props
fans17de0bd1
lvl.2
Malaysia

BobWinNV Posted at 12-25 20:44
Did you push the RC RTH and if so did you just push it or did you push and hold.  The RTH on the MM RC is a dual function button.  A simple press will halt and hover the MM but a press and hold will initiate a RTH.

In the mist frenzy panic, most probably just a push. Which you are right, the Mini did stop and hover.
2019-12-25
Use props
fans17de0bd1
lvl.2
Malaysia

lannes Posted at 12-25 21:04
Did the AC sensors show up any increased compass interference

There was no warning of any sort. Preflight check was all ok and normal. There was however “Max power something caution” appearing.
2019-12-26
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans17de0bd1 Posted at 12-25 23:55
In the mist frenzy panic, most probably just a push. Which you are right, the Mini did stop and hover.

I actually think that was the best course of action as it gave you a minute to assess the situation and bring it on home.
2019-12-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fans17de0bd1 Posted at 12-24 17:44
This is what I wrote in my thread:
I have flown the Mavic Mini several times and it flown perfectly fine. Took  the Mini to beach today and shortly after take off the Mini flown away on its own. I have own several DJI drones, I am at level 23 on the DJI go app. This is the first time that happened to me.  I could not control the Mini at all using the remote controller. It just flew on its own erratically. I manage to recover the Mini by hitting the “return home button” on the controller, the Mini stops mid flight and all controls are available again after hitting return home button. I was lucky that the Mini went flying on its own right after take off which I still have clear line of sight on the drone. I manage to recover the Mini without any damage.

This is very confusing having two members talking about two different incidents in the same thread.
Yours looks like a yaw error issue which is caused by launching from a magnetically dirty area - most commonly a reinforced concrete surface.
It's not a wind issue at all.
There's no evidence you initiated RTH at all but you did push the autoland button.

It's not a firmware issue and there's nothing that DJI need to look into.
You just need to learn to only launch from magnetically clean locations.
2019-12-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

the1shark Posted at 12-24 22:48
You all keep saying that phantomhelp.com has a beeter way to understand what happend.
I find the information presented in Iredata much detailed and they also allows you to run the flight while looking at the information as logged at that point in time Including the error messages that appeared on the phone screen.
So what am I missing ?  phantomhelp.com provide nothing but a scroller ..

Airdata only gives a brief summary.
Phantomhelp allows an experienced investigator to see the actual data - lots more than Airdata shows.
2019-12-26
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

fans17de0bd1 Posted at 12-26 00:02
There was no warning of any sort. Preflight check was all ok and normal. There was however “Max power something caution” appearing. [view_image]

That looks like a Max Power load, Fly with Caution.

On your map it shows the AC speed as 51kmh, the Mini has a top speed of around 28kmh (17.4 mph) in P mode,  so it must be an over speed warning
2019-12-26
Use props
fans17de0bd1
lvl.2
Malaysia

BobWinNV Posted at 12-26 00:07
I actually think that was the best course of action as it gave you a minute to assess the situation and bring it on home.

Yes that was what I was thinking, RTH may help to stop the Mini.
2019-12-26
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Labroides Posted at 12-26 00:17
This is very confusing having two members talking about two different incidents in the same thread.
Yours looks like a yaw error issue which is caused by launching from a magnetically dirty area - most commonly a reinforced concrete surface.
It's not a wind issue at all.

fans17de0bd1 should start a new thread instead of piggy backing off this one, not the best forum etiquette.
2019-12-26
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans17de0bd1 Posted at 12-26 00:23
Yes that was what I was thinking, RTH may help to stop the Mini.

Actually Halt is what you want and is what a quick press on the RTH/Halt button gives you.
2019-12-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fansdb984e64 Posted at 12-25 06:41
But why did rth not worked? On that day the wind was usual as on the flights before, and on my ipad screen it lost everything, no picture nothing
Why did RTH not work?
The recorded flight data explains why ....

You were impatient and launched without GPS.
Your drone did not record a home point until 35 seconds into the flight.
You went up to 475 feet where the drone was unable to hold position and was drifting 1-5 mph because of the wind up there.
At 6:22.8 you initiated RTH (585 ft from home).
The drone in RTH was being blown backwards at 1-5mph.
At 7:35.2 you cancelled RTH and briefly give it full right stick to boost the speed but quickly gave up and left it hovering and being blown backwards even further.
At 8:05.3 you finally thought of bringing it down lower - but only from 475 to 450 feet.
At full right stick it was still going backwards at 2-4 mph and now over 1000 ft away.
At 9:20.3 you tried RTH again, leaving RTH to do the driving.
The drone continued being blown backwards until the signal was lost at 2181 ft distance from home.
The drone was 450 feet up and going backwards at 5-7 mph with the battery down to 38%.
It will have continued even further until low battery level will have forced an autolanding.

The whole flight shows no awareness of what the drone was doing or that you needed to get it down much lower and out of the strong upper level winds if you were going to bring it back.

My feeling was that i had no controll at all about the mavic mini, first. Second if i feel a strong wind or bad weather conditions i would never start my drone, especially not the Mavic Mini. On this day i can say for sure that there was no difference between the orher days i flew before in terms of weather condition.
The flight data tells a different story.
Winds are always stronger up high and you didn't notice, not even when the drone was being blown backwards.

So combined with the whole process and the fact that the drone never reactet, not even a little bit on my inputs confirmed my feeling/experience that this was not my fault
The drone reacted perfectly to your joystick input.

You never showed even a little bit of awareness of what was going on.
The drone could have easily been brought back .. (if you knew what you were doing).
It's 100% your fault.
and if DJi will not replace this Drone it was my last one from this Company. Caude i already have a Mavic 2 Pro and a DJi Smart Controller and and and... just for let dji know what im talking about.
Good for you ... but the data tells me that you have no idea at all.

You can blame DJI and learn nothing from the experience ...
Or read what I've taken the time to interpret and learn a lesson that might help you save another drone in future.

2019-12-26
Use props
fansdb984e64
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Labroides Posted at 12-26 01:30
Why did RTH not work?

You think i read your text to the end? Youre definetly wrong. Your text is only about one thing: my personal fault. Pls be quiet and beware what you say!! Your again one of these people who wasnt there and you have no idea okay? Why dont you understand that the deone  didnt  react on nothing? And as in the video from youtube  you can see if you dont do nothing it shöuld hower, and it wasnt windy as it says in the data logs. I try to explaine again: in the beginning of the start i flew up straight in the air and let it hower a bit in alsmost the same altitude when the disaster(flyaway) began, but there wasnt any strong wind or so, it just howered stable in the air like the small drone did evertime in the last flights.  in the moment of the flyaway  The remote connection immedtiately lost i havent seen nothing pn the display, do you understand what it means? NOTHING, the connection was gone conpletely. I did what i had to do i claimed for rth but i doesnt work. End of story!!!!‘
2019-12-26
Use props
fansdb984e64
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Labroides Posted at 12-26 01:30
Why did RTH not work?

And dont try to change the facts. There has to be much much more. It is really easy to say that it was a pilot error. But you froget the humanity part of this, i want to see you in this szenario. Than i want to see if you bring it back safetly. I said it many times if you had experienced what i did you change your whole opinion.
2019-12-26
Use props
RBI
Second Officer

Philippines

Simple question: Why have you never switched to S mode?
2019-12-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fansdb984e64 Posted at 12-26 01:55
And dont try to change the facts. There has to be much much more. It is really easy to say that it was a pilot error. But you froget the humanity part of this, i want to see you in this szenario. Than i want to see if you bring it back safetly. I said it many times if you had experienced what i did you change your whole opinion.

Youre definetly wrong. Your text is only about one thing: my personal fault.
That's because there was only one story in your flight data.
The data doesn't lie like you do.
Read my story again if you want to learn from the experience.

Pls be quiet and beware what you say!! Your again one of these people who wasnt there and you have no idea okay? Why dont you understand that the deone  didnt  react on nothing?
You have it all wrong.

Your data was there, recording everything you did and how the drone responded.
I'm one of the few people around here that can read flight data and the story it's telling.
You are just another flyer with no idea, doing stupid things with your drone and trying to blame the drone for your failure.

And dont try to change the facts. There has to be much much more.
Sorry to give you the bad news but the data is very clear and simple
It is really easy to say that it was a pilot error.
Particularly when is such a simple case of a pilot flying his drone up too high where the wind is too strong and leaving it there fighting against a headwind.

But you froget the humanity part of this, i want to see you in this szenario. Than i want to see if you bring it back safetly. I said it many times if you had experienced what i did you change your whole opinion.
I've flown my drones over 5000 kilometres and always bring them back, flying in tougher conditions than you did.
But I understand what the drone and the wind are doing and what to do about it.
There's nothing in your data or your "explanation" that changes my opinion even a little bit.
If you had brought your drone down to >100 feet it would have come home easily.
There's no point arguing against the data.
It just makes you look sillier.
Read my original post again and learn something from it.
2019-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules