Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Gimbal crazy after
1216 12 2019-12-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mamigacz
lvl.2
United States

I hit a tree about a month ago.  The drone was laying in the grass when I found it.  On first inspection, one landing leg was broken and the plate that secures the gimbal to the body had an ear busted off.  Also, the antenna wires and the harness that attached to the gimbal needed to be replaced.  I bought all the needed parts and installed.  The drone turned on and did what it normally does on start-up.  However, I noticed the camera was not pointing forward.  I then noticed that the yaw arm was bent.  I bought a cheap yaw arm and ribbon cable (even though the original was not damaged) from amazon.  Watched the YouTube video and installed the arm and cable.  Should of read the reviews, arm installed and worked fine, cable was an issue.  Next, I bought a DJI ribbon cable ($60).  Installed it and the camera is going crazy.  I watched some more YouTube videos and checked some common issues (see the attached pics).  Everything seems to check out.  Please watch the video and check out the pictures.  Is there anything I’m missing?  FYI -  I never connected the antenna cables, secured the gimbal with tie wraps, I wanted to be sure there wasn’t an issue before buttoning up everything up.
dji1.jpg
dji2.jpg
dji3.jpg
2019-12-25
Use props
mamigacz
lvl.2
United States

2019-12-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to the said drone. Since there was a crashed that happened to the drone, I would recommend for you to contact our DJI support team to start up a ticket at ( https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav ) to further diagnose, analyze and repair the said issue. Rest assured that our DJI support team will do their best to assist you on this matter. Please note that the repair cost will depend on the said warranty period of the drone otherwise, valid charges will apply. Thank you.
2019-12-25
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-25 09:43
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to the said drone. Since there was a crashed that happened to the drone, I would recommend for you to contact our DJI support team to start up a ticket at ( https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav ) to further diagnose, analyze and repair the said issue. Rest assured that our DJI support team will do their best to assist you on this matter. Please note that the repair cost will depend on the said warranty period of the drone otherwise, valid charges will apply. Thank you.

Did you calibrate the gimbal?  Does the gimbal get warm to the touch?
2019-12-25
Use props
Goldenseal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487034 ft
United States

Please, make sure you installed the camera on the correct side of the stop. Recheck to make sure.  
2019-12-25
Use props
mamigacz
lvl.2
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 12-25 12:29
Did you calibrate the gimbal?  Does the gimbal get warm to the touch?

No, I assumed that it that something else was wrong since the camera never settles down.  I could try it?
2019-12-26
Use props
mamigacz
lvl.2
United States

Goldenseal Posted at 12-25 17:34
Please, make sure you installed the camera on the correct side of the stop. Recheck to make sure.

The last picture I posted shows how the camera was mounted to the shaft.  The flats are lined up.  Isn't that correct?
2019-12-26
Use props
mamigacz
lvl.2
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-25 09:43
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to the said drone. Since there was a crashed that happened to the drone, I would recommend for you to contact our DJI support team to start up a ticket at ( https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav ) to further diagnose, analyze and repair the said issue. Rest assured that our DJI support team will do their best to assist you on this matter. Please note that the repair cost will depend on the said warranty period of the drone otherwise, valid charges will apply. Thank you.

Ok.  The crazy start up motion happened after replacing the ribbon cable.  The original ribbon cable was not damaged and the gimbal started up normal.  The only issue was the yaw arm was bent causing it to point slightly to the left.  I wish I would of re-used the original ribbon cable.
2019-12-26
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

The cable can be easily damaged.  I bet you had a little trouble getting it around the camera, right?   I would go back and recheck all the connections.
2019-12-26
Use props
mamigacz
lvl.2
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 12-26 07:42
The cable can be easily damaged.  I bet you had a little trouble getting it around the camera, right?   I would go back and recheck all the connections.

yep, not fun
2019-12-27
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

mamigacz Posted at 12-26 04:38
Ok.  The crazy start up motion happened after replacing the ribbon cable.  The original ribbon cable was not damaged and the gimbal started up normal.  The only issue was the yaw arm was bent causing it to point slightly to the left.  I wish I would of re-used the original ribbon cable.

Thank you for the additional information. The best thing I could recommend is to have the drone sent in so that our DJI support team can check for internal damages that might cause this issue on the said drone . Thank you.
2019-12-27
Use props
mamigacz
lvl.2
United States

Update:  I did re-connect the ribbon cable and connections and got a better result.  The camera does not go banana's like my video shows.  It does settle out, but you can hear one or more of the motors correcting constantly (buzzing sound).  I went thru the gimbal calibration process and it failed.  I did get an image in my tablet from the camera.  Also, the camera responded to up and down motion from the controller.  I sent the gimbal to DJI for analysis.  We will see what comes out of it.  Anyone know how long this process takes?
2020-1-4
Use props
mamigacz
lvl.2
United States

Update:  Got my gimbal back from DJI.  It ended up being a bad pitch motor.  The service costed $73, which included the motor, labor and shipping.  The process went faster than expected.  I'm happy with the way it turned out.  

The crazy thing was the pitch motor was listed at $8 on receipt.  If I buy a pitch motor off amazon it costs $23. It appears to me that you get a discount on parts when using the DJI service.  Bonus!!
2020-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules