Aircraft Orientation Issue
3085 17 2019-12-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Milo Van
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10161 ft
Singapore

Even when everything on the flight seem well, the Aircraft Orientation does not seem to work properly? Sometimes it shows that the drone is behind me even when it is actually in front, or it will suddenly show a disconnected status.

Calibrating the compass does not seem to help.

Anyway to fix this?
2019-12-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This seems to be a known problem, lots of people have reported it here - lets hope DJI is listening and issue a fix in the future.
2019-12-27
Use props
G-a-n-t-z
lvl.2
Flight distance : 476591 ft
Russia

I have the same problem.
2019-12-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Device seems to be the issue, to check your craft is on correct heading check small red triangle on your map this should match the heading of your compass and craft .
2019-12-27
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Interesting to find out why not all combinations RC <> Mobile devices works.

I recently have a MM and on my devices (Xiaomi ones) the Aircraft Orientation shows the correct position of the craft in the air.  Good compass calibration of the device too is a must!

Mayby a check using a small magn hand held compass to verify the device compass?

cheers
JJB
2019-12-27
Use props
emaneg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1591 ft
Italy

Try calibrating the phone compass while it's clamped into the RC. It should work
2019-12-27
Use props
speed_freakz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 569852 ft
Thailand

Same problem. Calibrated phone compass and mavic. no help
2019-12-27
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Known issue with many devices.
My compass works correctly but not in the FLY App.
2019-12-27
Use props
K.B.O.7029
lvl.2

Tunisia

see this video on YT

with some phones it's ok, with others no
2019-12-27
Use props
Milo Van
lvl.2
Singapore

OMG apparently compass calibration was disabled on my phone! thanks for the feedback guys, i’ll test this out and update here.
C4BC0354-DF59-40CD-AD4F-22A7EC6B9BE0.jpeg
2019-12-27
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. Regarding this concern. This issue has been forwarded to our designated DJI department for further attention. Rest assured that once I have the information available, I will be sending you a notification for you to be updated as well. Again I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for your valued support.
2019-12-27
Use props
Milo Van
lvl.2
Singapore

I wish I knew this earlier. I thought the orientation relied on the controller itself. It’s all good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s33hYYcgJWE&feature=youtu.be
2019-12-28
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

After doing some tests yesterday I managed to get correct reading of the compass.

Basically, with iOS Compass APP opened, the DI FLY APP did get the correct orientation, but as soon as I move the RC the arrow would go from Front to indicate the AC is behind me (which is wrong). Since the compass keep telling the AC is behind no matter what, I swapped my phone 180 degrees... and it works...

Now the USB connector of the phone is at the right, the orientation shows correctly as long I keep my body in the same position, that means let say I take off with my body facing north, I have to keep my body in that direction for the whole flight duration or the orientation is wrong.
Hope it helps!
2020-1-4
Use props
emaneg
lvl.3
Italy

Me and InspecorGadjet have gone deep into the problem.

On my point of view (android phone, at least) it depends on the presence of magnetic components inside the RC. Hence, when you approach the phone to the RC, the built-in magnetometer (in the phone) is affected and gives wrong information for the radar indicator of drone position.
A workaround may consist in calibrating the phone compass after it has been inserted in the RC clamps.

Of course the indication will be reliable if drone GPS is active and the drone itself is reasonably far from you.
2020-1-4
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

emaneg Posted at 1-4 11:23
Me and InspecorGadjet have gone deep into the problem.

On my point of view (android phone, at least) it depends on the presence of magnetic components inside the RC. Hence, when you approach the phone to the RC, the built-in magnetometer (in the phone) is affected and gives wrong information for the radar indicator of drone position.

i have my devices placed in the rc clamps with the top of the device left.
(so i needed a longer cable...)

but in a turn my device the other way my aircraft oreintation is 180 wrong.

I do not calibrate my device in the clamps, don`t see any difference inb readings in or out the clamps.

cheersJJB
2020-1-4
Use props
emaneg
lvl.3
Italy

JJB* Posted at 1-4 11:30
i have my devices placed in the rc clamps with the top of the device left.
(so i needed a longer cable...)

If you turn on the compass app on your phone and you move your phone close to the RC (or, better, you approach thr RC to your phone) do you notice any perturbation on the compass reading? is not behaving as if you were approacing some steel rod to a normal magnetic compass?
2020-1-4
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

emaneg Posted at 1-4 11:38
If you turn on the compass app on your phone and you move your phone close to the RC (or, better, you approach thr RC to your phone) do you notice any perturbation on the compass reading? is not behaving as if you were approacing some steel rod to a normal magnetic compass?

guess not    beacuse when i calibarte my mob device and use it in the clamps, in the fly app the aircraft orienatation shows the correct position.
Beacuse its show correct is hasn`t change from out to in the RC clamps.

But will fly tomorrow and check this out.

cheers
JJB
2020-1-4
Use props
tonydeli7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3561007 ft
Greece

Just made a small discovery. I had the problem since my first flight,but today everything was working ok.. Connected disconnected a couple of times to check it and still the reading was correct.
The only different thing was that,I had disabled auto-rotation today. :-/

Maybe for me that was the problem. I have an android phone btw.
2020-4-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules