12Next >
16349 45 2019-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
clausfly
lvl.4
Flight distance : 51115 ft
Germany

The UAV Forecast App regularly reports: "Not Good to Fly" due to low satellite count. By default there are 13 satellites for an OK. I have already reduced this number to 11. How many satellites is the minimum for a safe outdoor flight? Thanks for advice
IMG_3173.jpeg
2019-12-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

There is no simple answer.
DJI drones require a minimum of 6 ....
But you also need a good geometric spread of satellites.

You could have 6 but if they were bunched or in a line it won't be good enough.

But UAV Forecast is fooling you.
If you are outdoors with a good sky view, there will always be enough sats for flying.

They also fool lots of people with the Kp Index which is of no relevance to drone flying.
Don't believe the scare stories.
No drone flyer has ever had a verifiable High Kp Index incident.

And who knows why they rate cloud cover as something that is a negative?
That's just nonsense.

2019-12-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

With sats in UAV it’s you who enters what you require same as temp wind etc .
2019-12-27
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

You should compare the uav app information with reality. So fly in your area, look in the flyapp how many satellites you are receiving and compare that with the information from the uav app. If there are fewer in the fly app, then increase the "gps altitude mask" by 5, e.g. from 5 to 10 or vice versa (from 10 on 5) if you have more satellites in the fly app than in the uav app. My experience has been that the uav app always shows less than in reality. 11 satellites or more, of course, are good. 8 or less is dangerous.
2019-12-27
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

Labroides Posted at 12-27 03:05
There is no simple answer.
DJI drones require a minimum of 6 ....
But you also need a good geometric spread of satellites.

I heard the opinion of people whose Kp-Index was more than 6 that they were given a compass error and they could not calibrate it.

2019-12-27
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

But the question remains open, how many really need satellites, when I flew a week ago, my drone took off on its own 4 meters, without my participation, at this time the drone saw 9 satellites.
2019-12-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Alevpi Posted at 12-27 03:33
I heard the opinion of people whose Kp-Index was more than 6 that they were given a compass error and they could not calibrate it.

You hear a lot of myths on forums and most of what you've heard about Kp Index is 100% myth.
No drone flyer has ever been affected by it.
The Kp Index is never going to do anything to your compass.

But the question remains open, how many really need satellites, when I flew a week ago, my drone took off on its own 4 meters, without my participation, at this time the drone saw 9 satellites.

Sounds like you gave yourself a Yaw Error.
Your issue had nothing to do with satellites and everything to do with launching from too close to steel objects - probably launching from reinforced concrete.
2019-12-27
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

While KP index may not be the first cause of issues is definitely something to consider regarding reliable GPS signal lock, otherwise it wouldn't be there.
2019-12-27
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

As to the full affect of solar activity on drone flights, I can not attest to that. But I can tell you that it affects satellite reception for sure. I work for a company where part of it is a cable company. The source of the majority of our television lineup is via satellite. Twice per year at one time per day, usually in the spring and then again in the fall, for almost a week straight, solar activity knocks out our reception for about 3-5 minutes each occurrence. Now I have no idea as to whether that affect can translate to drone GPS reception, but I'm sure it could have some affect to some degree. I guess what I'm saying is KP index can affect satellite reception of some services of satellite, but I do not know about drone satellite reception and should be left up to statistics and coming to your own conclusion as to whether it's safe to fly in high KP index rated periods.
2019-12-27
Use props
The Watchman News
lvl.3
Flight distance : 63970 ft
United States

JodyB Posted at 12-27 04:44
As to the full affect of solar activity on drone flights, I can not attest to that. But I can tell you that it affects satellite reception for sure. I work for a company where part of it is a cable company. The source of the majority of our television lineup is via satellite. Twice per year at one time per day, usually in the spring and then again in the fall, for almost a week straight, solar activity knocks out our reception for about 3-5 minutes each occurrence. Now I have no idea as to whether that affect can translate to drone GPS reception, but I'm sure it could have some affect to some degree. I guess what I'm saying is KP index can affect satellite reception of some services of satellite, but I do not know about drone satellite reception and should be left up to statistics and coming to your own conclusion as to whether it's safe to fly in high KP index rated periods.

If I slip you $20 can you give me free HBO? LoL I'm just kidding. We don't even watch TV but I couldn't resist.
2019-12-27
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Watchman News Posted at 12-27 04:59
If I slip you $20 can you give me free HBO? LoL I'm just kidding. We don't even watch TV but I couldn't resist.

You know what the irony of that is?? I don't watch television either!!!! In fact, even while I'm at work I try to avoid it as much as I can. I try to stay on the network side of things as that's where I'm the happiest.
2019-12-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-27 04:34
While KP index may not be the first cause of issues is definitely something to consider regarding reliable GPS signal lock, otherwise it wouldn't be there.

It's a complete myth.
No drone has ever been affected by a high Kp Index.

Think about it.
If it was a real issue, the day someone's drone is affected, thousands of other drones flying that day would also be affected, but we never get any cases of mass drone troubles.

Now who can point to a single case of a drone incident that can be verified as caused by the Kp Index???
I've been looking for six years and still havent found the first one.
2019-12-27
Use props
clausfly
lvl.4
Flight distance : 51115 ft
Germany

Many thanks for the many helpful answers.
2019-12-27
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

Labroides Posted at 12-27 05:06
It's a complete myth.
No drone has ever been affected by a high Kp Index.

I'm not that bothered really, if this has no real issue, better for me.
2019-12-27
Use props
The Watchman News
lvl.3
United States

JodyB Posted at 12-27 05:01
You know what the irony of that is?? I don't watch television either!!!! In fact, even while I'm at work I try to avoid it as much as I can. I try to stay on the network side of things as that's where I'm the happiest.

I can totally respect that. I wish I knew networking better. I am a computer hardware geek however. There is nothing on TV that I want to see. All the TV shows are trash. We do watch a show called God Friended Me but that's it. I operate a small news organization and the irony in news is that in order for me to get honest news about the USA I have to refer to a Russian news agency. LoL
2019-12-27
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Watchman News Posted at 12-27 06:34
I can totally respect that. I wish I knew networking better. I am a computer hardware geek however. There is nothing on TV that I want to see. All the TV shows are trash. We do watch a show called God Friended Me but that's it. I operate a small news organization and the irony in news is that in order for me to get honest news about the USA I have to refer to a Russian news agency. LoL

That does not surprise me about getting honest news in the least. Of the time I have to check channels here for work, the news is so one sided depending on what broadcast network your looking at. For television, I subscribe to a streaming service called pureflix. I don't have cable in my house and haven't had for probably about 5 or 6 years.
2019-12-27
Use props
Smark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80089 ft
United States

I like my DJI app to have 10 satellites.
2019-12-27
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

JodyB Posted at 12-27 08:49
That does not surprise me about getting honest news in the least. Of the time I have to check channels here for work, the news is so one sided depending on what broadcast network your looking at. For television, I subscribe to a streaming service called pureflix. I don't have cable in my house and haven't had for probably about 5 or 6 years.

Same with me... I actually decided to stop watching tv years ago, made me angry.
This is the best TV I ever bought, only shame is that it only has one channel... lol
2019-12-27
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-27 10:18
Same with me... I actually decided to stop watching tv years ago, made me angry.
This is the best TV I ever bought, only shame is that it only has one channel... lol
[view_image]

Love that channel!! Now there is something I could get used to!!!
2019-12-27
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

JodyB Posted at 12-27 10:23
Love that channel!! Now there is something I could get used to!!!

Hey Jody I saw your profile picture changed... did you crash it?
2019-12-27
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-27 10:47

Nah, no crash, at least not yet, LOL. I just like the waving mavic mini. I think he looks cool!!
2019-12-27
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-27 10:47

that's a peace sign and it's cool but i didn't recognize the posts for awhile...so used to the other pic
2019-12-27
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kp myth doesnt have to be real as long as it continues to be repeated as if it may one day be a major problem.  just like drone bringing down a plane, it has never happened.  but how many times do we have to keep hearing it and letting it control everything we do.  no...Kp is hear to stay lol lol
2019-12-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

To actually fly a drone they say 4 sats will do, but 6 is the correct number, how to achieve this.

Your craft receives both gps and glonass sats , so you count will work like so , if you have 6 sats shown this could be a mix glonass and gps so risky to fly, if you have 11 sats shown then you have at least 6 of either glonass or gps so safe to fly, so always try to start your mission on minimum of 11 satellites .

11 = min 6 gps or glonass so safe to fly .
2019-12-27
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

hallmark007 Posted at 12-27 11:06
To actually fly a drone they say 4 sats will do, but 6 is the correct number, how to achieve this.

Your craft receives both gps and glonass sats , so you count will work like so , if you have 6 sats shown this could be a mix glonass and gps so risky to fly, if you have 11 sats shown then you have at least 6 of either glonass or gps so safe to fly, so always try to start your mission on minimum of 11 satellites .

Thanks for that info!
I allways wait for 12, since I saw the number fluctuate a bit.
2019-12-27
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

JodyB Posted at 12-27 10:52
Nah, no crash, at least not yet, LOL. I just like the waving mavic mini. I think he looks cool!!

Glad to read that!
Didn't noticed it was a peace sign waving mini just the "missing arm".
2019-12-27
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 12-27 10:52
that's a peace sign and it's cool but i didn't recognize the posts for awhile...so used to the other pic

I figure I could save some of the folks eye sight at the same time too, ha!!
2019-12-27
Use props
The Watchman News
lvl.3
United States

JodyB Posted at 12-27 08:49
That does not surprise me about getting honest news in the least. Of the time I have to check channels here for work, the news is so one sided depending on what broadcast network your looking at. For television, I subscribe to a streaming service called pureflix. I don't have cable in my house and haven't had for probably about 5 or 6 years.

Yea we have Netflix and Prime video but we generally only turn it on when we go to sleep for background noise. I try not to let things like entertainment or sports distract me from what is really important. I'm not into sports at all so that's easy. If I'm not making merchandise 90% of my waking hours is either doing research or our 4-hour daily broadcast during the week.
2019-12-27
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Watchman News Posted at 12-27 11:33
Yea we have Netflix and Prime video but we generally only turn it on when we go to sleep for background noise. I try not to let things like entertainment or sports distract me from what is really important. I'm not into sports at all so that's easy. If I'm not making merchandise 90% of my waking hours is either doing research or our 4-hour daily broadcast during the week.

I hear you there. I wish my fiance was of the same mind set. I think she could get lost in her phone at times. I told her once that I wished I was a phone, LOL. She did not take that well either, HA!!
2019-12-27
Use props
The Watchman News
lvl.3
United States

JodyB Posted at 12-27 11:35
I hear you there. I wish my fiance was of the same mind set. I think she could get lost in her phone at times. I told her once that I wished I was a phone, LOL. She did not take that well either, HA!!

I got really lucky with my girlfriend. She likes to be awake and aware of what the government is doing and she is a constitutionalist like I am. She dislikes TV and the fake society we live in as much as me. I'm surprised she didn't kill me when we got the huge decal order and I used over half of the profit to buy the mini though lol. She gets it though. For me, it's a tool to be used for security when the time arises. For now, I'll try to make some cool videos with it for the news channel. Our black lab, on the other hand, is not amused by the drone at all. LoL
2019-12-27
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Watchman News Posted at 12-27 11:49
Our black lab, on the other hand, is not amused by the drone at all. LoL

Just buy your dog a set of these.....

LabWithEarMuffs

LabWithEarMuffs
2019-12-27
Use props
The Watchman News
lvl.3
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 12-27 12:00
Just buy your dog a set of these.....

This is the look I would get.

2019-12-27
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

LOL, poor fella!! We have two cats. I'm not a cat person by any means. I don't hate cats, just don't like their "I'm going to get my hair all over where you sit and eat so you can breath them and eat them and there isn't anything you can do about it. Now love me." attitude. Not to mention waking up in the middle of the night with one sitting on your chest staring at you. But at any rate, they don't like the mini either. I think  I have at least discovered a way to keep them off the kitchen table. At least until one of them gets enough courage to try and take down the "bird".
2019-12-27
Use props
The Watchman News
lvl.3
United States

JodyB Posted at 12-27 12:22
LOL, poor fella!! We have two cats. I'm not a cat person by any means. I don't hate cats, just don't like their "I'm going to get my hair all over where you sit and eat so you can breath them and eat them and there isn't anything you can do about it. Now love me." attitude. Not to mention waking up in the middle of the night with one sitting on your chest staring at you. But at any rate, they don't like the mini either. I think  I have at least discovered a way to keep them off the kitchen table. At least until one of them gets enough courage to try and take down the "bird".

Yea Blue tried one time to catch my Potensic D58. It didn't work out so well for her. All I have to do is get the Mavic Mini case and she immediately goes and lays down behind my girlfriend. She hates anything that makes noise. We normally have a really quiet home and she gets really upset at me when I pull out the vinyl cutter. She knows not only will she have to listen to it but also that I'll be working and not giving her my undivided attention. LoL
2019-12-27
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Watchman News Posted at 12-27 12:34
Yea Blue tried one time to catch my Potensic D58. It didn't work out so well for her. All I have to do is get the Mavic Mini case and she immediately goes and lays down behind my girlfriend. She hates anything that makes noise. We normally have a really quiet home and she gets really upset at me when I pull out the vinyl cutter. She knows not only will she have to listen to it but also that I'll be working and not giving her my undivided attention. LoL

Is she jealous of your girlfriend?
2019-12-27
Use props
The Watchman News
lvl.3
United States

JodyB Posted at 12-27 12:36
Is she jealous of your girlfriend?

Nah she's very protective of her. She gets more jealous of when I kiss Jen. Only shes allowed to get lovins from her. LoL She has an incredible connection to both of us.
2019-12-27
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Watchman News Posted at 12-27 12:41
Nah she's very protective of her. She gets more jealous of when I kiss Jen. Only shes allowed to get lovins from her. LoL She has an incredible connection to both of us.

Now thats a true canine companion. Admirable. Dogs are my favorite. But we live in a small house and the yard isn't much either so I would feel guilty of not being able to provide a good space for a dog, or at least one I'd like to have.
2019-12-27
Use props
The Watchman News
lvl.3
United States

JodyB Posted at 12-27 12:44
Now thats a true canine companion. Admirable. Dogs are my favorite. But we live in a small house and the yard isn't much either so I would feel guilty of not being able to provide a good space for a dog, or at least one I'd like to have.

We have a tiny home too. We rent a 3 room apartment. And old house that is split into 4 apartments but she does have a decent size back yard to get her energy out. I think she is extra protective of Jen not only because I trained her too but also because Jen has Cerebral Palsy and walks with forearm crutches and she knows that Jen is different than most people. She does a great job watching over her and she has been trained to get me if Jen tells her to. Neither of us has ever had a dog with so much personality though. She has Jens personality down to a T. LoL
2019-12-27
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Watchman News Posted at 12-27 12:54
We have a tiny home too. We rent a 3 room apartment. And old house that is split into 4 apartments but she does have a decent size back yard to get her energy out. I think she is extra protective of Jen not only because I trained her too but also because Jen has Cerebral Palsy and walks with forearm crutches and she knows that Jen is different than most people. She does a great job watching over her and she has been trained to get me if Jen tells her to. Neither of us has ever had a dog with so much personality though. She has Jens personality down to a T. LoL

That is pretty awesome in my book. I used to have a dog when I was a teenager that came to the house while my parents and I were on vacation. He was in bad shape sick but my mom being the type she is nursed him back to health. He took up with me and followed me everywhere. He was smart too. He would hunt about anything. I could tell him what I was after too. I could tell him to go find some rabbits and he would. Same thing for squirrels. His love for me was ultimately what got him killed. I had went to a friends house to play and I told him to stay home that I would be back before long. He decided not to listen that day and when he crossed the road, got hit by a car. That was one of the saddest moments of my life. Most would say he was just a dog, but to some they are family. That's how I saw him.
2019-12-27
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 914012 ft
United Kingdom

To get back to satellites, I had 11/12 yesterday and it was no go, today 15 and all was good
2019-12-27
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules