New FAA Remote ID Rule
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ErichG
lvl.2
Flight distance : 74180 ft
United States

Is there a planned accessory for legacy craft like Inspire 2 to comply with the new FAA rule? It appears that all craft will have to actively transmit this new Remote ID from the vehicle itself, or else limit flights to highly restricted locations and range. I'm sure this is a concern for the entire DJI fleet, but especially those of us who have spent thousands of dollars on Inspire setups.
In related news - the new rule eplicitly prohibits ADS-B as an acceptable ident method for drones - so if what I've read about DJI planning to inocorporate it is correct, looks like you'll need to scrap that plan.
2019-12-27
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum and thank you for your informative Insights. As of the moment we don't have any information regarding DJI's future products that would be released by DJI and it's functionalities. Please stay tuned to the latest news and events by subscribing to DJI official website at www.dji.com or following us on social media ( Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI, Twitter: https://twitter.com/djiglobal , YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/djiinnovations ). Thank you for your support.
2019-12-27
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hmmm ... I owe 5 DJI products on pro and semi-pro level, used intensively for aerial and ground landscape photography. I'm closely and intimately observing this industry since Phantom 3 Pro drone offered image capturing with acceptably professional level of quality. Inspire 2 and Zenmuse X7 camera is leaving not much more to desire for years come, even for demanding photographers and filmmakers ...

Yet, I can't help not to think that this entire niche of DJI branded, affordable semi-pro/pro aerial imagery stuff is halted, neglected, abandoned, idling at best. I firmly believe that DJI is no more interested in further development of Inspire and X camera class. There's simply no big enough market for this. However, last 2 years proved to be extremely successful with Mavic concept on bottom end of production line, and for Enterprise class on high end. In other words, cheap gadgets for selfie generation and expensive equipment for industrial applications. Nothing in between.

Definitely the tightening belt of flying restrictions is partially responsible for somehow dissolving enthusiasm about drone-ing in general. In some, densely populated parts of the world flying the drone is almost impossible. Nobody to blame here, but ... For this reason alone we may not see Inspire 3 or any drone of semi-professional quality, released for general public. Mavic Mini of very limited capabilities is a perfect example of this trend, Skydio concept may be another.

This is only my personal thinking, based mostly on wiseman's intuition. I would love to remain wrong ...  
2019-12-27
Use props
ErichG
lvl.2
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 12-27 12:35
Hmmm ... I owe 5 DJI products on pro and semi-pro level, used intensively for aerial and ground landscape photography. I'm closely and intimately observing this industry since Phantom 3 Pro drone offered image capturing with acceptably professional level of quality. Inspire 2 and Zenmuse X7 camera is leaving not much more to desire for years come, even for demanding photographers and filmmakers ...

Yet, I can't help not to think that this entire niche of DJI branded, affordable semi-pro/pro aerial imagery stuff is halted, neglected, abandoned, idling at best. I firmly believe that DJI is no more interested in further development of Inspire and X camera class. There's simply no big enough market for this. However, last 2 years proved to be extremely successful with Mavic concept on bottom end of production line, and for Enterprise class on high end. In other words, cheap gadgets for selfie generation and expensive equipment for industrial applications. Nothing in between.

We shall see - I think the Inspires have had pretty good uptake in the feature film and television world, but it's hard to know the economics of production for DJI, so you may be right.

Meanwhile, my main point is that the entire DJI product line in existence today will be effectively grounded in three years unless the public comment period results in a meaningful grandfather clause.

People should take the opportunity to comment on the proposed rule to this effect.
2019-12-29
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

"... the Inspires have had pretty good uptake in the feature film and television world ..."

Undoubtedly, along with any other "disposable" cameras like GoPro or BlackMagic Pocket. Still, having the option to choose, any director will opt for heavy-lifter with RED Dragon ...

" ... my main point is that the entire DJI product line in existence today will be effectively grounded in three years ... "

That's my point as well, although the issue is not related to the entire DJI product line. Drones are here to stay, only their consumer incarnations are in danger of being wiped off by FAA restrictions. Despite marketing hype as a professional tool, Inspire is within this category. DJI may, however, decide to transfer future versions of Inspire into Enterprise territory, which - by the rule of thumb - is accessible to commercial operators only. They did just that with Mavic 2 Pro and Phantom 4 Pro. In other words, consumer toys may simply and quietly fade away in time ...

"People should take the opportunity to comment on the proposed rule to this effect."

Of course they should ...
2019-12-29
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 12-27 12:35
Hmmm ... I owe 5 DJI products on pro and semi-pro level, used intensively for aerial and ground landscape photography. I'm closely and intimately observing this industry since Phantom 3 Pro drone offered image capturing with acceptably professional level of quality. Inspire 2 and Zenmuse X7 camera is leaving not much more to desire for years come, even for demanding photographers and filmmakers ...

Yet, I can't help not to think that this entire niche of DJI branded, affordable semi-pro/pro aerial imagery stuff is halted, neglected, abandoned, idling at best. I firmly believe that DJI is no more interested in further development of Inspire and X camera class. There's simply no big enough market for this. However, last 2 years proved to be extremely successful with Mavic concept on bottom end of production line, and for Enterprise class on high end. In other words, cheap gadgets for selfie generation and expensive equipment for industrial applications. Nothing in between.

Matthew
Agree with your assessment. The FAA's 319 page proposal will take 18 months to hash out the enforceable rules that will be mandated.
Then it will take another 3 years to roll out everything. This has a potential to kill the hobby fliers completely.
Drones are not the only thing being impacted here. The RC aircraft, planes jets and helicopters will be held to the same rules. My turbine jet flies 180 mph and covers 4500 feet quickly (at a AMA flying field) there is no way this jet can fly in the 400 feet rule. Some of this stuff is just rubbish.

My final word is; these new regulations are all about controlling the 400 foot airspace for commercial activates. Follow the money and it will come down to the little guy looses again. Think of all the costs that will be added to this hobby. I really hope that the hobby industry and hobbyists will fight for our interests and help preserve the hobby for future generations

Rich
2019-12-31
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 12-31 10:23
Matthew
Agree with your assessment. The FAA's 319 page proposal will take 18 months to hash out the enforceable rules that will be mandated.
Then it will take another 3 years to roll out everything. This has a potential to kill the hobby fliers completely.

There is a period to submit your opinions, its time to submit people !!
2019-12-31
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 12-31 10:23
Matthew

Sadly, this is inevitable. All this proposed lobbying reminds me frantic attempts of nature freaks chaining themselves to a trees in rain forest. You can travel by visually spectacular Hwy 101 along Pacific Coast, enjoying dense surrounding forestry ... Until you launch your drone to discover that this is only 50 m wide strip saved on East side of the highway ... The rest of this monumental rain forest is being shaved as we speak ...

Layered, straightly controlled airspace is going to happen no matter what, sooner than later. Enjoy your turbojets models while you still can ...
2019-12-31
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

mixchief Posted at 2019-12-31 14:25
There is a period to submit your opinions, its time to submit people !!

I agree, its time to speak up and be counted. I certainly hope we can have some kind of compromise. but it might be to late now to make a difference.

Rich
2020-1-2
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2019-12-31 14:46
Sadly, this is inevitable. All this proposed lobbying reminds me frantic attempts of nature freaks chaining themselves to a trees in rain forest. You can travel by visually spectacular Hwy 101 along Pacific Coast, enjoying dense surrounding forestry ... Until you launch your drone to discover that this is only 50 m wide strip saved on East side of the highway ... The rest of this monumental rain forest is being shaved as we speak ...

Layered, straightly controlled airspace is going to happen no matter what, sooner than later. Enjoy your turbojets models while you still can ...

This will be interesting, I really think there is a slim chance the RC community may save part of this hobby. I really enjoy flying the turbine jets and if would be a sad day to hang them up forever (over 20K) gone

Rich
2020-1-2
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 1-2 09:41
This will be interesting, I really think there is a slim chance the RC community may save part of this hobby. I really enjoy flying the turbine jets and if would be a sad day to hang them up forever (over 20K) gone

Rich

Oh, I'm sure you have a plenty of time ahead to enjoy your hobby! We're talking decades before commercial drones embed hobbyists into underground, outlawed activities ...
2020-1-2
Use props
ErichG
lvl.2
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2019-12-29 12:17
"... the Inspires have had pretty good uptake in the feature film and television world ..."

Undoubtedly, along with any other "disposable" cameras like GoPro or BlackMagic Pocket. Still, having the option to choose, any director will opt for heavy-lifter with RED Dragon ...

Certainly the price point of Inspire 2 makes it accessible to many more productions than a heavy rig with a Red. But very few "consumers" spend $10K on a toy. So I'm not sure I can agree with your characterization of it as "disposable." Likewise, I don't think most people would describe a $10K platform as "accessible" to consumers, and so it's more or less an "enterprise" class product.

I also haven't seen a single production shot on a GoPro. I guess you could also say that my BlackMagic Ursa Mini doesn't count, since feature directors would prefer to have a Red with PL lenses if they can afford it. But no consumer knows where to begin with a high res raw pipeline or spends $10K on a "video camera," and products like Ursa make digital cinema production accessible to more professionals.

Anyway, as a practical matter, it's true that by the time these rules are in place, chances are those of us who can afford it will have upgraded, and that DJI will have integrated the required transmitter in new products by then, so I guess it's sort of a moot topic. That said, it seems that a grandfather clause that doesn't require the "dual mode" requirement, but allows for ground-station based telemetry should be considered for legacy craft. Also, it seems like DJI could produce an accessory transmitter.
2020-1-2
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

ErichG Posted at 1-2 13:30
Certainly the price point of Inspire 2 makes it accessible to many more productions than a heavy rig with a Red. But very few "consumers" spend $10K on a toy. So I'm not sure I can agree with your characterization of it as "disposable." Likewise, I don't think most people would describe a $10K platform as "accessible" to consumers, and so it's more or less an "enterprise" class product.

I also haven't seen a single production shot on a GoPro. I guess you could also say that my BlackMagic Ursa Mini doesn't count, since feature directors would prefer to have a Red with PL lenses if they can afford it. But no consumer knows where to begin with a high res raw pipeline or spends $10K on a "video camera," and products like Ursa make digital cinema production accessible to more professionals.

By all means Inspire 2 is a revolutionary product, allowing many professional productions with restricted budget to happen. Don't get me wrong, it's a godsend. However, it's been quietly expressed by some industry sources that the market for this product isn't in fact as huge as DJI was expecting. This alone may explain further development stagnation, which - undoubtedly - we can see. Long awaited handheld camera to adapt X5S/X7 gimbal didn't happen ...
2020-1-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules