Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
RC no longer connecting to iPhone
2369 34 2019-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tervist
Captain
Flight distance : 20830 ft
United States

I tried to take a flight today and was not able to because the RC would not connect to my phone. I have an iPhone 8 Plus, battery was at 70%. RC battery was at full charge. MM battery was also at full charge. I tried changing cables, restarting the phone, restarting the RC, and nothing works. What's going on here? Is my RC defective? I had two successful flights prior to this -- with no issues whatsover.
2019-12-27
Use props
lannes
Captain
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Did you recently upgrade the AC firmware to 0.300 and did the connection problems happen after this ?
2019-12-27
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

A friend of mine had the same issue.  He completed 3 flights and then nothing.  We tried my cable and nothing.  I put his RC on my Android phone and nothing.  The port on his RC was a bit wonky compared to mine.  He contacted DJI and sent his RC back for warranty replacement.  By the way he is still waiting on replacement (been 3 weeks).
2019-12-27
Use props
Tervist
Captain
United States

lannes Posted at 12-27 15:06
Did you recently upgrade the AC firmware to 0.300 and did the connection problems happen after this ?

No recent upgrades were done. Everything is up to date.
2019-12-27
Use props
Tervist
Captain
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 12-27 15:16
A friend of mine had the same issue.  He completed 3 flights and then nothing.  We tried my cable and nothing.  I put his RC on my Android phone and nothing.  The port on his RC was a bit wonky compared to mine.  He contacted DJI and sent his RC back for warranty replacement.  By the way he is still waiting on replacement (been 3 weeks).

Oh boy, that waiting part doesn't sound very reassuring.
2019-12-27
Use props
lannes
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Tervist Posted at 12-27 15:26
No recent upgrades were done. Everything is up to date.

So did the connection issue happen after you upgraded to 0.300
or was it already an issue with 0.200 ?
2019-12-27
Use props
Tervist
Captain
United States

lannes Posted at 12-27 15:29
So did the connection issue happen after you upgraded to 0.300
or was it already an issue with 0.200 ?

When I received my MM the beginning of December, I ran all the recommended updates on it. I've only flown it under 0.300.
2019-12-27
Use props
lannes
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Tervist Posted at 12-27 15:32
When I received my MM the beginning of December, I ran all the recommended updates on it. I've only flown it under 0.300.

To isolate the problem to the DJI Fly app can you try connecting the RC only to the AC.
You can test the connection by moving the RC gimbal control  to see if it responds.

Have you also tried uninstalling DJI Fly and reinstalling it ?

2019-12-27
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for bringing this query to us and we're sorry for the inconvenience caused. Can you please try to use a different mobile device for us to further isolate the problem? Please keep us posted. Thank you!
2019-12-27
Use props
Tervist
Captain
United States

lannes Posted at 12-27 15:46
To isolate the problem to the DJI Fly app can you try connecting the RC only to the AC.
You can test the connection by moving the RC gimbal control  to see if it responds.

Good suggestion to test the gimbal. Thanks. The gimbal works fine, so at least the RC and the aircraft are communicating with each other.

Did not try reinstalling the app on the iPhone but tried it on a different device where it had been newly installed and the result is the same -- the mobile device and the RC are not communicating.
2019-12-27
Use props
Tervist
Captain
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-27 16:21
Hi, thank you for bringing this query to us and we're sorry for the inconvenience caused. Can you please try to use a different mobile device for us to further isolate the problem? Please keep us posted. Thank you!

Thank you for the suggestion to try connecting with a different mobile device. The result is the same -- the RC is not connecting to it.

This is what I see:

2019-12-27
Use props
lannes
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Tervist Posted at 12-27 18:25
Thank you for the suggestion to try connecting with a different mobile device. The result is the same -- the RC is not connecting to it.

This is what I see:

At this point with the app open like this, I'd turn the RC off and on again, so that this forces a reconnection to the AC
2019-12-27
Use props
Tervist
Captain
United States

lannes Posted at 12-27 18:39
At this point with the app open like this, I'd turn the RC off and on again, so that this forces a reconnection to the AC

Thank you for the suggestion. I've tried that too, and have also restarted the mobile devices. Also restarted the aircraft.
2019-12-27
Use props
lannes
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Tervist Posted at 12-27 18:43
Thank you for the suggestion. I've tried that too, and have also restarted the mobile devices. Also restarted the aircraft.

It does take about a minute for the app to reconnect in this scenario

Are you just using apple products or have you tried with an android device.

About the last thing I can think of:

Is there any damage to the usb port on the RC, DJI use the strange rectangular usb micro-A port which allows you to insert the micro usb connector upside down and this bends and damages the tab in the RC's usb micro-A.

If you look at the RC port you can see the tab sits in the bottom half of the port and can be easily damaged if the micro usb connector is not lined up properly when inserting it.

2019-12-27
Use props
Tervist
Captain
United States

lannes Posted at 12-27 19:12
It does take about a minute for the app to reconnect in this scenario

Are you just using apple products or have you tried with an android device.

I only have Apple products.

I did check the RC port and the cable for damage and didn't notice anything out of line. Because of the "L" shape of the cable, there's only one way it will fit into the port. Once it's connected there is a little play in it and may be the source of the issue.
I guess I'm lucky this happened before a flight rather than during.
2019-12-27
Use props
JodyB
Captain
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tervist Posted at 12-27 20:37
I only have Apple products.

I did check the RC port and the cable for damage and didn't notice anything out of line. Because of the "L" shape of the cable, there's only one way it will fit into the port. Once it's connected there is a little play in it and may be the source of the issue.

Have you tried connecting the RC to a computer and turning it on and running DJI assistant 2 and refreshing the firmware?
2019-12-27
Use props
Tervist
Captain
United States

JodyB Posted at 12-27 22:53
Have you tried connecting the RC to a computer and turning it on and running DJI assistant 2 and refreshing the firmware?

Already tried that and the RC won't connect to the computer. When I connect the RC to the computer I get an error that says "USB Devices Disabled. Unplug the device using too much power to re-enable USB devices". I have a Mac Notebook. The MM and other devices connect just fine. Only the RC throws this error. Yes, I tried reinstalling the DJI Assistant. ;)
2019-12-28
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Tervist Posted at 12-28 05:31
Already tried that and the RC won't connect to the computer. When I connect the RC to the computer I get an error that says "USB Devices Disabled. Unplug the device using too much power to re-enable USB devices". I have a Mac Notebook. The MM and other devices connect just fine. Only the RC throws this error. Yes, I tried reinstalling the DJI Assistant. ;)

Oh man, that doesn't sound good at all. The computer is reporting that it's drawing too much power over usb and shutting down the port. I think I would consider opening a case with DJI at this point. Looking over this thread, looks like you've done about everything. Keep us updated if you figure anything out or if you have to do something else.
2019-12-28
Use props
Tervist
Captain
United States

JodyB Posted at 12-28 05:50
Oh man, that doesn't sound good at all. The computer is reporting that it's drawing too much power over usb and shutting down the port. I think I would consider opening a case with DJI at this point. Looking over this thread, looks like you've done about everything. Keep us updated if you figure anything out or if you have to do something else.

Yep. It stinks.

And, to add insult to injury it's a perfect day to fly here:

2019-12-28
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Tervist Posted at 12-28 06:09
Yep. It stinks.

And, to add insult to injury it's a perfect day to fly here:

Yes it is a perfect day to fly today. I went out for a while today. There is a national battle field not far from here that I’ve wanted to fly. I used all three batteries and I managed to “butcher” together about 12 minutes. I feel bad that you can’t fly yours at the moment. I hope for an expedient fix for you!!!
2019-12-28
Use props
Tervist
Captain
United States

JodyB Posted at 12-28 12:34
Yes it is a perfect day to fly today. I went out for a while today. There is a national battle field not far from here that I’ve wanted to fly. I used all three batteries and I managed to “butcher” together about 12 minutes. I feel bad that you can’t fly yours at the moment. I hope for an expedient fix for you!!!

Be careful around those National Battlefields. The NPS doesn't take kindly to people flying drones in them.  Someone attempted that at Gettysburg during the last government shutdown and got busted. I'd heard he ended up paying a fine and doing some jail time.
2019-12-28
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Tervist Posted at 12-28 14:04
Be careful around those National Battlefields. The NPS doesn't take kindly to people flying drones in them.  Someone attempted that at Gettysburg during the last government shutdown and got busted. I'd heard he ended up paying a fine and doing some jail time.

Wouldn’t that be a blue or even and NFZ zone if it’s part of a National park?
2019-12-28
Use props
Tervist
Captain
United States

JodyB Posted at 12-28 14:11
Wouldn’t that be a blue or even and NFZ zone if it’s part of a National park?

Good question. I checked the B4UFly App and they show NPS lands in red. When you tap the red area you get a warning note that says "National Parks have been classified as 'no drone' zones after 2014. Flying here means stiff fines and penalties." That warning note seems to back up the material in this NPS web site page: https://www.nps.gov/articles/unmanned-aircraft-in-the-national-parks.htm

Theoretically, you should be able to fly just outside the boundary and be OK as long as you don't cross into the NPS lands or land/take off from them.

A while back there was a guy in the Spark forum who made a video from Falling Water, which is the Frank Lloyd Wright House in western PA. It's also an NPS site. The video was nice and you can see that he was very careful, but his flight was highly illegal and he had posted that video on a public forum. I reminded him that video could land him in serious legal trouble because Federal agencies do monitor the DJI forums. Now, if you fly in a National Forest, shoot video of trees, and no one sees or hears you, none will be the wiser but if you shoot video of an easily recognizable landmark and post it to a public forum, you're just looking for trouble. He did take the video down, after a bit of a hissy fit.
2019-12-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Tervist, thanks for warning that guy shooting video at Falling Water.  Hissy fit or not you most assuredly saved his "six".  Sorry to hear your RC issues.  As I stated in a previous post that same thing happened to a friend of mine.  I'm 99% sure that his issue was related to the wonky loose fit in the port.  By the way he did get his replacement RC today.  He is grinning from ear to ear now especially with today's superb weather.  Best of luck getting your RC replaced.
2019-12-30
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Tervist Posted at 12-30 13:43
Good question. I checked the B4UFly App and they show NPS lands in red. When you tap the red area you get a warning note that says "National Parks have been classified as 'no drone' zones after 2014. Flying here means stiff fines and penalties." That warning note seems to back up the material in this NPS web site page: https://www.nps.gov/articles/unmanned-aircraft-in-the-national-parks.htm

Theoretically, you should be able to fly just outside the boundary and be OK as long as you don't cross into the NPS lands or land/take off from them.

I appreciate the info. I don’t believe NPS is in control of that area but I took it down none the less out of respect.
2019-12-30
Use props
Tervist
Captain
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 12-30 13:52
Tervist, thanks for warning that guy shooting video at Falling Water.  Hissy fit or not you most assuredly saved his "six".  Sorry to hear your RC issues.  As I stated in a previous post that same thing happened to a friend of mine.  I'm 99% sure that his issue was related to the wonky loose fit in the port.  By the way he did get his replacement RC today.  He is grinning from ear to ear now especially with today's superb weather.  Best of luck getting your RC replaced.

His reaction was strange because he got very defensive. But yes, I did save him some aggravation in the end.

I've not heard anything back from DJI yet regarding the RC issue. I PM'd DJ Gamora on Saturday after I saw that he/she had been responding to other posts. Still haven't heard anything, so I started a ticket with DJI via email this morning and have not heard back from them. And, it's been 8 hours. Not sure where their Tech Support group is situated and if they celebrate Christmas.

2019-12-30
Use props
Tervist
Captain
United States

JodyB Posted at 12-30 14:05
I appreciate the info. I don’t believe NPS is in control of that area but I took it down none the less out of respect.

State parks and forests can also get weird about drones. It's always best to check their web sites to see what their regs say.
2019-12-30
Use props
lannes
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Tervist Posted at 12-30 15:01
State parks and forests can also get weird about drones. It's always best to check their web sites to see what their regs say.

Did you try disabling USB restricted mode on your iphone

https://www.macobserver.com/tips ... sb-restricted-mode/
2019-12-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Tervist Posted at 12-30 14:58
His reaction was strange because he got very defensive. But yes, I did save him some aggravation in the end.

I've not heard anything back from DJI yet regarding the RC issue. I PM'd DJ Gamora on Saturday after I saw that he/she had been responding to other posts. Still haven't heard anything, so I started a ticket with DJI via email this morning and have not heard back from them. And, it's been 8 hours. Not sure where their Tech Support group is situated and if they celebrate Christmas.

Not sure about their holidays.  I did get an e-mail today from DJI Tech Support and replied.  About 2 hours later got a response.  So either I was just lucky or something.  I do see them responding today on MM and other DJI quads.
2019-12-30
Use props
Tervist
Captain
United States

lannes Posted at 12-30 15:08
Did you try disabling USB restricted mode on your iphone

https://www.macobserver.com/tips/quick-tip/phone-ipad-usb-restricted-mode/

Just checked the setting and it's Disabled.
2019-12-30
Use props
HoPro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 70958 ft
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Tervist Posted at 2019-12-30 16:41
Just checked the setting and it's Disabled.

i have same problem with my mavic 2 RC. it can connect with AC but not with phone nor PC.
It just start charging phone.

Did you solve the problem?
2020-1-7
Use props
Tervist
Captain
United States

HoPro Posted at 1-7 09:49
i have same problem with my mavic 2 RC. it can connect with AC but not with phone nor PC.
It just start charging phone.

Not yet. I had to open a repair ticket on the controller so DJI can take a look at it. It's supposed to arrive at its destination tomorrow (Wednesday).
2020-1-7
Use props
Anandb316
lvl.4
Flight distance : 54570 ft
United Kingdom

Tervist Posted at 1-7 10:40
Not yet. I had to open a repair ticket on the controller so DJI can take a look at it. It's supposed to arrive at its destination tomorrow (Wednesday).

Hi there did you get a response from support regarding this issue? I have the same problem where the rc keeps disconnecting from the mavic mini.
Thanks
2020-1-22
Use props
Tervist
Captain
Mexico

Anandb316 Posted at 1-22 12:51
Hi there did you get a response from support regarding this issue? I have the same problem where the rc keeps disconnecting from the mavic mini.
Thanks

I opened up a repair ticket with DJI on December 31 and got the controller back on January 17 but didn’t get a chance to test it because we left on the 19th for a short trip to Mexico. Not enough time. The entire process with DJI was painless. and took just over two weeks.
2020-1-22
Use props
Tervist
Captain
Mexico

Anandb316 Posted at 1-22 12:51
Thanks

I opened up a repair ticket with DJI on December 31 and got the controller back on January 17 but didn’t get a chance to test it because we left on the 19th for a short trip to Mexico. Not enough time. The entire process with DJI was painless. and took just over two weeks.
2020-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules