How many cycles can I expect out of a Mavic Mini Battery?
13320 7 2019-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bfindlay
lvl.2
Flight distance : 431594 ft
Canada

Hi all,

I can't imagine many users approaching the end of the cycle count for a Mavic Mini Battery as it is still a fairly new drone but I am wondering what the life expectancy is for the batteries.  I remember for the P3S hearing anywhere from 200-500 cycles is normal all depending on how well you take care of the battery.

Thanks,

- Blake

2019-12-27
Use props
Matt Wilson_09
lvl.3

United States

If you don't expose your battery to high temps (especially when fully charged) or store it discharged or fully charged and keep it in a cool dry dark area you will see more than 400 cycles unless you are unlucky and have one cell with a manufacturing fault that can fail at any time but is more likely very early or very late in its life. The battery will of course gradually loose capacity as it becomes older, no one can avoid that.  

2020-1-15
Use props
Liotcik
New

Lithuania

I heard with newest firmware battery firmware was updated to max. 200cycles. After this battery is unusable. Because people buy and replace cells, and DJI is not making money on it.  I'd like someone reputable to confirm or deny this.
2020-5-7
Use props
Liotcik
New

Lithuania

Also for the battery use. If you want the battery to have more cycles, try not to discharge it a lot. Best would be if you land at 20-30percent. You can go of lower course , it will not kill the battery, but number of recharging cycles will be reduced. The lower you go the higher impact for battery longevity.
2020-5-7
Use props
GreenEyesAndSpa
lvl.1
United States

Is buying multiple replacement batteries recommended?
2020-5-27
Use props
Sparkflier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 194619 ft

United States

Probably about 4 years. Even longer if you take good care of it. To further lengthen the life, you should do something called a deep cycle every month. To deep cycle, fully charge the drone and then fly it to critically low battery. When it gets to you, resist the landing procedure until the battery gets to 5%. Then let it land and shutoff. Immediately shut it off. Wait 30 minutes for the battery to cool down. Then fully charge it. This will reset all the cells and extend its life.
2020-5-29
Use props
djiuser_TBQ7pBid5fVv
lvl.1
Flight distance : 404931 ft
United States

Sparkflier Posted at 2020-5-29 19:20
Probably about 4 years. Even longer if you take good care of it. To further lengthen the life, you should do something called a deep cycle every month. To deep cycle, fully charge the drone and then fly it to critically low battery. When it gets to you, resist the landing procedure until the battery gets to 5%. Then let it land and shutoff. Immediately shut it off. Wait 30 minutes for the battery to cool down. Then fully charge it. This will reset all the cells and extend its life.

These are LiPO not NiCD batteries.  You just gave a description of how to destroy any Lithium based cell by discharging below about 10%.  Actually, just about any rechargeable battery chemistry should never get that low or you chemically alter the plates within the battery.  LiPO is best to never charge above about 85% and never discharge below about 15%, BUT you also do have to at least run 1 charge/discharge monthly or else you will destroy the battery that way.

Following this rule, I had a LiPO battery in a laptop last for over 3,000 cycles.

The real question - how much are you willing to put up with vs just knowing that meh, I'll get some new batteries after about 2-3 years (or just before end of life of the drone e.g. Mini vs. Mini 2, whichever comes first)
2022-1-6
Use props
djiuser_xm62hon8rxN1
lvl.1

Czechia

Liotcik Posted at 2020-5-7 04:21
I heard with newest firmware battery firmware was updated to max. 200cycles. After this battery is unusable. Because people buy and replace cells, and DJI is not making money on it.  I'd like someone reputable to confirm or deny this.

Where did you hear it or read it - tell us the source of your information
2022-2-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules