RC to Phone will not connect DJI Fly App
10745 14 2019-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tasantherus
lvl.1
United States

Not sure if I just bought an expensive paperweigt or not, but looking for a  work around before I return the product. The current phone I am using is an LG6 Plus running Android Version 8. I cannot upgrade the Android Version because my provider Metro PCS has not offered it yet. The RC and the Drone are both properly paired, all the lights and sounds are exactly the way they should be. The phone goes into a charging mode so I know the connection between the USB and the remote is there. DJI Fly comes up but stays on the home screen and never connects to the RC. I've rebooted the drone, the phone, and the RC multiple times. It did go through the activation once, and then never connected again. Any advice? This my first drone, and I really do not want to return it, but I still consider it alot of money spent on a piece of equiptment that is not functioning as intended.
2019-12-28
Use props
Minnesota
lvl.4
United States

Several of us have tried the approved LG V20 w/Android 8 and had the same problem as you are having.  I then found an LG V20 w/Android 7 and it works perfectly.  DJI is aware of this and perhaps will have it fixed in the next firmware release.  One is allegedly scheduled for December 30th.
2019-12-28
Use props
Tasantherus
lvl.1
United States

Minnesota Posted at 12-28 04:02
Several of us have tried the approved LG V20 w/Android 8 and had the same problem as you are having.  I then found an LG V20 w/Android 7 and it works perfectly.  DJI is aware of this and perhaps will have it fixed in the next firmware release.  One is allegedly scheduled for December 30th.

Well I have until the 8th to return, guess I can wait a couple of days and see what happens.
2019-12-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tasantherus, while you are waiting on the update (supposedly Dec 30th) and if you have some time please try the following.
1- Uninstall DJI Fly App
2 - Delete DJI Folder on your phone
3 - Reboot phone
4 - Install fresh download of DJI Fly App from DJI website vice Play Store
5 - Start DJI Fly App
6 - If the App opens properly then close App
7 - Start RC and connect phone
8 - Open DJI Fly App
9 - If the App opens properly it should connect to the RC
If not, then only recourse is to await firmware update or return MM

Wish it was better news.
2019-12-28
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Sometimes I have had the same situation with the Ipad Mini, it's like the Fly app does not sync/ recognise properly when the RC and AC have connected.

To make it work I turn the RC off and on so it re-establishes the connect to the AC, the app takes a bit of time to recognise the connection again.

I find the best procedure is to open the app first , then the AC and lastly turn on the RC. In my case the app picks up the connection automatically and enters the AC camera view without prompting
2019-12-28
Use props
Minnesota
lvl.4
United States

If you do as DowntownRDB suggests, you may have to sideload the App.  This is easy and involves shutting off a security setting on the phone.  Search youtube "sideload android"; there are several videos on this.
2019-12-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Good call Minnesota.  I should have added the sideload instruction.  Thanks for helping out.
2019-12-28
Use props
Tasantherus
lvl.1
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 12-28 05:10
Tasantherus, while you are waiting on the update (supposedly Dec 30th) and if you have some time please try the following.
1- Uninstall DJI Fly App
2 - Delete DJI Folder on your phone

1- Uninstall DJI Fly App Check
2 - Delete DJI Folder on your phone  Check
3 - Reboot phone  Check
4 - Install fresh download of DJI Fly App from DJI website vice Play Store  Check
5 - Start DJI Fly App  Check
6 - If the App opens properly then close App  Check
7 - Start RC and connect phone  Check
8 - Open DJI Fly App  Check
9 - If the App opens properly it should connect to the RC  Nope
If not, then only recourse is to await firmware update or return MM

This was off a sideload just now.. still a no go.

Fingers crossed for next patch, if not will return and buy a new cooking range, wife is PO'd at me for getting this in the first place, she'll be laughing her butt off when she finds out it does not work.

2019-12-29
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Truly sorry it didn't work for you.  Hopefully DJI will release a new update tomorrow and it will fix your issue so you can keep your Mini.  If not, get the wife a new range.  Remember, happy wife means happy life.  LOL
2019-12-29
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the update and the LG G6 and it still does not connect 99% of the time. When it does, it works well. Is there a "real" List somewhere with real users telling us what actually works? I want to buy a different phone and not break the bank doing so.
2019-12-29
Use props
IndyRick
lvl.2

United States

GaryDoug Posted at 12-29 15:56
... I want to buy a different phone and not break the bank doing so.

My post in another thread. https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=204774&extra=&page=2#comments

ZTE Blade 6" phabulet on Amazon for about $90.
2019-12-30
Use props
rheim94
lvl.1
United States

Did you ever find a solution? I'm having the same experience with LG G6 and the DJI Fly App. Support told me to try another data cable. I did and that was a waist of more time. My phone has no Sim and I've reset it completely, then reinstalled without any improvement.
2020-4-9
Use props
Keith R.
lvl.1

United States

SOLVED:  I had the same problem with my LG V20 phone and my Mavic Mini so, I downloaded ALL of the fly apps dji has on Google Play store, set them all up, and let them run in the background.  THEN dji Fly would connect for me!  Now, the only app I need to run in the background to get it to work is the dji Pilot app.
2020-10-20
Use props
djiuser_VhPuNRdMNXYv
New

Costa Rica

Using a diff cable to connect the phone and the RC helped to improved connection stability... I have previously bought a longer one to use an accessory to minimize the screen reflection, and had to also start to use that longer cable (non-OEM).

Mentioning this... An as an extra potential factor introducing the issue.
2021-1-19
Use props
Serrini
lvl.1
Flight distance : 32953 ft
  • >>>
United States

I cant believe I spent 2500 bucks on a brick ... been a DJI user since the Phantom ... this is garbage.
2021-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules