Can Firmware update damage the hardware of DJI Drones?
2731 5 2019-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Raven14
lvl.1

Indonesia

Hi Everyone, I am new here. I just got my new DJI Mavic Air few days ago, I have updated the firmware via DJI Assistant 2 (RC and AC) before the first flight. The first few flight was fine and then I read somewhere in the DJI forum that each battery has to be updated as well. So, I updated the firmware 2 more times, each with different battery. After that I immediately test it, everything is normal before the flight (Opti mode, GPS is ok, Compass, etc), but right after it took off, I noticed something is not right becuase the AC tilted to the right and started to drift a litte. I immediately want to land it, but before I did any anything the AC was out of control. I did not touch the controller stick, but it flew quite fast backward, with some curve (a bit downward then upward), then it charshed a wall behind me. Luckily, no one's hurt since it only me in the area. However, after the crash, the IMU and the sensor showing an error, and also it says 'gimbal cannot received main controller data'. I tried to callibrate the IMU but there is no response when I pressed start. I tried to callibrate the gimbal but it stuck at 10%.

I brought the unit to DJI store, and they said that happened usually because of firmware update. After they checked it, they said the IMU was damaged because of firmware update and need to be changed. The cable of downward and backward sensor also need to be changed although I have tried to calibrate the sensor (forward, downward, and backward) via DJI Assistant 2 and it was successfull. It cost quite a expensive ~ 200$ for the sparepart alone (IMU and the back&downward sensor cable).

My question is that, is it possible to damage the harware from firmware update (although at the end of the update is DJI Assistant 2 says completed)? Does anyone have similar issues before (drones cannot be controlled after firmware update)?

Thank you.

Regards,
- I
2019-12-28
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, we are sorry to hear about the crash of your drone. Please contact the support at the link below to open a case and send the drone in, we'll submit a data analysis to find out the cause of the accident if the drone is under warranty. If it's a warranty case, we will get your drone repaired/replaced with no charge according to our After-sales Policy. http://www.dji.com/support
2019-12-28
Use props
fans939372f5
New
Flight distance : 25190 ft
United States

Hi , I have never updated my firmware on my Mavic Pro because it flies great and I’m a little concerned about things that happen like this.   Anyway it’s great that your sorry about what happened and want to open a case and maybe replace his drone if it’s under warranty. But you did not answer his question. Can updating firmware damage your drone???
2020-1-17
Use props
Raven14
lvl.1

Netherlands

Hi DJI Natalia, thanks for the reply. I’ve tried to submit online request but my region is not yet available. I just want to make sure if updating firware can damage the hardware of the drone (if the update is not successful)? Because the unofficial service center said so, and they have several other drones, mostly DJI Phantom 4 that has hardware damage after firmware update. So if you can confirm it is right or wrong that would be great.
2020-1-17
Use props
knarfboy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 494508 ft
  • >>>
Germany

My Mavic 2 pro got a error 200 after update.

The german DJI Support recect waranty and charge me more then 300€ for repair. I am verry unhappy about this.

CAS-3853442-P0Q3S3
2020-1-17
Use props
WRATH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12175 ft
Australia

To be honest mate even if it does damage a drone after an update they sure as hell will not admit to it. by admitting to it they open themselves up to liability. you will only get a generic (contact dji support) who will probably make it out to be user error and charge you for repairs if it out of warranty.
2020-2-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules