Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI drones: Firmware update failed, This problem, that problem etc..
4704 33 2019-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DobreyJ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 105801 ft
Mexico

I know some people here would most likely not be impressed or have some problem with my post, but i dont really care but you will if your drone starts acting up.

I think it is time make a point to DJI and stop supporting them. Yes I also thought that DJI is the way to go and there was nothing else I wanted. DJI to me was the greatest and best but only when everything is working good. Then there comes a day where all is working hundred 100% fine and you fly and enjoy your expensive peice of equipment and you shut down and put them away for your next flight the next flight. After a few days I took the drone to download the picture from previous flight onto my laptop and there about 150 whales close by and heading towards the bay infront of our property, so ok lets charge the batteries and prepare all and get ready for those perfect moments to capture great footage. So I do my normal startup and and I get the pop-up notification for firmare upgrade, great lets upgrade as i do not want to have any issues with my next flight and BOOM: UPGRADE FAILED... UPGRADE FAILED... UPRADE FAILED... This was on DJI GO 4 app for Android, but I think to my self it can't be serious let me try it on DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic and the same ... all over     have like 150 whales in the bay infront of out house and what UPGRADE FAILED... UPGRADE FAILED... UPRADE FAILED...  I wich i kept track of how many times i have seen that, It gets stuck at 75% and thats it. I have tried to refresh, downgrade, watched just about every youtube video, emailed DJI support, had life chats with DJI support, read posts on MavicPilots, searched DJI Forums, changed mobile devices, bought new data cables, removed SD card, bought new SD card, etc etc... I am at a point now that if i have to touch this drone one more time and see failed that something bad is going to happen. The last time a was able to fly my M2Z was 29 Nov 2019 and may it RIP as it surely is the most expensive paper weight I own and it i knew it was going to be like this i would have never bought it and also never recomended it to anyone as I have done. I left home first week of December and been to Brunei and currently still in Mexico intill about the 3rd week of January and i am also loosing all the footage as i have a USELESS piece of equipment with the letters DJI written all over it. all of this because of a firmware update. No it is enough and i have seen enough posts of how people struggle with their drones, why should we settle for this. If you have seen as much posts as i have or received all the mails from DJI, all DJI replies start with, We are so sorry the hear... or we understand your frustration.. blah blah blah blah.

I think people can share their experiences here and let us take it up a level. I am sick and tired of all these big companies taking your mone for a products because "We are the leader" and that is why the items are pricey and after they have your money its like " we are so sorry... blah blah blah"

As I am writing this post I can actually feel anger inside of raging inside of me so I better quit now.

What i need is to:
1 - update a firmawer 100% to the aircraft . think that should sovle the issues for
     a - not being able to link the aircraft and remote and if lucky get it linked after an hour
     b - if lucky and AC and RC connects i have image for about 1 minute and it disconnects
     c - as you can imagane i cant fly
     d - once AC and RC disconnects it is impossible to link them again due to the fact that the binding led stays red and puching the button does not do anything
there is actually so much ... going on here and all because of an upgdate ans all worked well for the 5 months before that!

Please leave your comment below or if someone can assist me to get this things fixed.

PS - had no craches either

Thanks all
2019-12-29
Use props
DobreyJ
lvl.1
Mexico

i am surprised, not a single reply from DJI or any of the members?
2019-12-31
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Are you using a full battery for the firmware upgrade. sometimes when the battery is too low it will stop the process
There is a tiny error message on the bottom left of the screen

Strangely I would also try reformating the SD card in the PC and then trying the upgrade again
2019-12-31
Use props
DobreyJ
lvl.1
Mexico

lannes Posted at 2019-12-31 07:09
Are you using a full battery for the firmware upgrade. sometimes when the battery is too low it will stop the process
There is a tiny error message on the bottom left of the screen

Iannes, Thanks for your response.

Yes I have 3 batteries and all are fully charged before trying to update. i have read that some people had issues with SD cards as well and i have removed it completely and update failed. I have formatted on PC and inserted and update failed failed. I also bought a new SD and did formatting etc but still no joy.

Currently, if i let the drone sit for a couple of hours and start up all the RC links to the AC. and i have everything on my phone display for just a bit. then all of the sudden i loose image and aircraft information on the phone. the RC however still displays AC information. when this happens the green binding led also goes out, no red or green. I can try to press the binding button but its like it does not work and nothing happens. I can then switch all off and start up and binding light will come on on red and stay red no matter what i do i cannot link RC with AC and have to let is sit for a few hours powered off.   
2020-1-1
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Some points

1) Are you trying to do the upgrade over wi-fi, have you tried connecting you PC directly to your router via an ethernet cable

2) I have seen some posts that say the the disconnect between the AC and RC is a "core board" problem. I suspect that you probably have the same thing happen,  that is you initially have connection but when the AC heats up something on the core board fails due to the heat.
This could also explain why the upgrade starts and then fails after a few minutes and that after letting the AC cool down again you can connect to the RC and Device for a short time.

3) When the DJI Go4 app goes out , does it show Aircraft disconnected ?  Is the RC still connected to the AC , you should be able to see this on the controller screen and test by moving the gimbal dial on the RC and having the AC gimbal move

2020-1-1
Use props
DobreyJ
lvl.1
Mexico

lannes Posted at 1-1 14:37
Some points

1) Are you trying to do the upgrade over wi-fi, have you tried connecting you PC directly to your router via an ethernet cable

Iannes,

On your points:

1) yes have done that and unsuccessful.
2) I have seen posts like that and I currently think that this is my case but it blows my mind that it can happen over night and right when doing software update.
After trying everything I think that is the case hear

3)No the DJI Go 4 still runs but when I loose video the app still gives me some info but only from remote, I can take off with RC and phone will tell me take off, but all camera functions are disabled and says on phone no SD card (all grayed out) I can not move gimbal with phone or tilt with remote. I can unplug the phone and connect again and when the app starts it will have the go fly option and when i enter the fly mode it is still the same but do not get aircraft disconnected message
2020-1-2
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DobreyJ Posted at 1-2 06:27
Iannes,

On your points:

I have a dumb question, have you tried different cables between your phone  and remote controller

Are you following this binding process , when bound all the lights go off

2020-1-2
Use props
DobreyJ
lvl.1
Mexico

lannes Posted at 1-2 07:38
I have a dumb question, have you tried different cables between your phone  and remote controller

There is no dumb question

Yes i have tried different cables and bought new data cables to try as well. without success

yes i have tried all the diffenent ways of binding when the AC and RC is not linked, but it seems like the AC does not want to go into binding mode. If the red led is on i can put RC in binding mode and press the bind button or AC but noting happens with it. Sometimes the bind led is completely off, no red or green, just off and pressing the bind button then does not even let it light up.  
2020-1-2
Use props
DobreyJ
lvl.1
Mexico

Image where i just lost image transition, phone still shows AC power and SD card etc but it will stay there and values will not change on phone but changes on the RC

2020-1-2
Use props
DobreyJ
lvl.1
Mexico

Then I will disconnect the phone and reconnect and get the go fly option and enter it and my phone display will look like below. RC and AC still connected. will get height and speed values if i move the drone by hand but no other AC values as to firmware or battery etc. i can also still use RC and take of and all will show on the phone

2020-1-2
Use props
DobreyJ
lvl.1
Mexico

Just some more screen shots below

2020-1-2
Use props
DobreyJ
lvl.1
Mexico

2020-1-2
Use props
DobreyJ
lvl.1
Mexico

2020-1-2
Use props
DobreyJ
lvl.1
Mexico

2020-1-2
Use props
DobreyJ
lvl.1
Mexico

2020-1-2
Use props
DobreyJ
lvl.1
Mexico

2020-1-2
Use props
DobreyJ
lvl.1
Mexico

Now on the below,
I have:
tried to upgrade to .510 and failed
tried to downgrade to .400 and failed
tried to downgrade to .300 and failed
tried to upgrade again and restore factory settings,  all failed

2020-1-2
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

For the connection problems

• From the photos , the AC is definitely not connected but  is it showing as connected on the remote controller screen ?
  • When the AC disconnects what does the remote controller screen show ?
  • Are you using android or iphone ?
  • Have you tried deleting all the caches in DJI Go4 and then uninstalling and re-installing DJI Go 4 on your device
  • Are you using the usb port on the bottom of the remote controller or the micro usb port on the side, try both ?

For DJI Assistant problems

• Are you using a USB 3.0 port or a USB 2.0 port on the PC, if you have a 2.0 port try that
  • Have you turned off virus protection
2020-1-2
Use props
DobreyJ
lvl.1
Mexico

lannes Posted at 1-2 16:43
For the connection problems

Hi Iannes

I will post few pics below again.

- AC is still connected to the RC and as mentioned I can get speed and elevation on the phone screen if I move the drone by hand.
- Remote still display as normal even though the green binding light goes out but RC and AC still connected but I cannot operate the gimbal from the remote anymore.
- If I shut all down and restart then the RC does not link to AC anymore. RC show connecting or binding but if activated but AC binding button has no function anymore and red led stays on.  
- I am using Android and also tried IOS with same results
- Yes deleted caches, uninstalled DJI GO 4 and reinstalled, downloaded previous versions of DJI GO 4 all with same results.
- Tried both side port and bottom USB port, longer cables etc.
- Used all ports on laptop, USB 3.0 and USB 2.0
- Yes I have disabled virus protection, run as administrator, enable driver signature and disable. There is also something that I came across where you restart laptop and press F7 on boot up and then option 7 again. something to do with drivers but also did not work.
2020-1-2
Use props
DobreyJ
lvl.1
Mexico

2020-1-2
Use props
DobreyJ
lvl.1
Mexico

2020-1-2
Use props
DobreyJ
lvl.1
Mexico

2020-1-2
Use props
DobreyJ
lvl.1
Mexico

2020-1-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

DobreyJ Posted at 1-2 13:28
Now on the below,
I have:
tried to upgrade to .510 and failed

The screen snap shows "Upload Error Log", is that clickable?  
If yes, can you find any Update Error Log which you can look at?
2020-1-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

lannes Posted at 1-1 14:37
Some points

You could test Iannes possiblity "2) I have seen some posts that say the the disconnect between the AC and  RC is a "core board" problem. I suspect that you probably have the same  thing happen,  that is you initially have connection but when the AC  heats up something on the core board fails due to the heat."

Keep drone cool while updating.  PIA, but if it gets upgrade past 75%, then you would at least know what problem is.
The reverse would be get drone warm, then start upgrade and see if it fails before 75%.

For testing, would not get drone colder or hotter than its Maximum ambient working tempeatures per DJI.

2020-1-2
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I am not sure if you have tried upgrading and or refreshing the firmware in the RC with DJI Assistant 2 ?

This might help with the RC to AC disconnect

2020-1-2
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 1-2 20:22
You could test Iannes possiblity "2) I have seen some posts that say the the disconnect between the AC and  RC is a "core board" problem. I suspect that you probably have the same  thing happen,  that is you initially have connection but when the AC  heats up something on the core board fails due to the heat."

Keep drone cool while updating.  PIA, but if it gets upgrade past 75%, then you would at least know what problem is.

That's a possibility, put the AC in the freezer while updating it via DJI Assistant 2
2020-1-2
Use props
DobreyJ
lvl.1
Mexico

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 1-2 20:18
The screen snap shows "Upload Error Log", is that clickable?  
If yes, can you find any Update Error Log which you can look at?

Hi HedgeTrimmer will recheck that and get back on this.

Thank you
2020-1-3
Use props
DobreyJ
lvl.1
Mexico

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 1-2 20:22
You could test Iannes possiblity "2) I have seen some posts that say the the disconnect between the AC and  RC is a "core board" problem. I suspect that you probably have the same  thing happen,  that is you initially have connection but when the AC  heats up something on the core board fails due to the heat."

will try this but thus far it never failed before the 75%
2020-1-3
Use props
DobreyJ
lvl.1
Mexico

lannes Posted at 1-2 20:25
I am not sure if you have tried upgrading and or refreshing the firmware in the RC with DJI Assistant 2 ?

This might help with the RC to AC disconnect

Hi Iannes

There is no issue with updating or downgrading the RC DJI GO 4 or on Assistant. Works everytime
2020-1-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

DobreyJ Posted at 1-3 18:06
will try this but thus far it never failed before the 75%

If keeping drone cool works, all credit goes to Iannes.   

If keeping drone cool fails, all credit goes to Iannes.  

2020-1-3
Use props
DobreyJ
lvl.1
Mexico

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 1-3 18:51
If keeping drone cool works, all credit goes to Iannes.   

If keeping drone cool fails, all credit goes to Iannes.

Hi All

Just an update, I did put the drone in the fridge and then removed it and have to say that the connection to the phone lasted quite a bit longer but lost it in the end as it warmed up u suppose. the following day I tried again without the fridge and the connection was lost quickly.
2020-1-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

DobreyJ Posted at 1-10 09:15
Hi All

Just an update, I did put the drone in the fridge and then removed it and have to say that the connection to the phone lasted quite a bit longer but lost it in the end as it warmed up u suppose. the following day I tried again without the fridge and the connection was lost quickly.

Does sound like a bad circuit board.  Could be anything from a connection to board, foil run on board, or a component on board.

When we ran into such problems we would isolate it further using Cold-spray or Hot-air blower.  While running diagnostics on effected area of system or running tests in module test station.  

Intermittent connections caused by cold solder cracks were easiest to fix.  Foil runs between board layers were problematic.  

Sometimes we could cut foil-run and run a hair thin wire between components.  Other times, due to critical nature of signal timings, length of foil run, not happening.

2020-1-10
Use props
DobreyJ
lvl.1
Mexico

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 1-10 11:07
Does sound like a bad circuit board.  Could be anything from a connection to board, foil run on board, or a component on board.

When we ran into such problems we would isolate it further using Cold-spray or Hot-air blower.  While running diagnostics on effected area of system or running tests in module test station.  

Thank you for the information. I also noticed last night that is through a very brief message in orange on the phone before loosing connection. Message goes like, weak GPS signal switch... and then its gone and connection lost.

I guess I will take it to DJI dealer in South Africa next week when I return home, just sad that traveling for the past 5 to 6 weeks I could not use it.

I will update again once it goes to DJI as I think I am done fighting it
2020-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules