mavic mini lost control and fell into lake!
13701 24 2019-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JbJXw6ntYki2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 205889 ft
Canada

So today i was flying over a lake... everything was going great until i was coming back. i had around 30%  of battery left and was maybe 150 -200 meters away... i went low to get a nice over the water shot but still several meters above the surface.    All of a sudden it started loosing altitude on its own and lowering itself down toward the water all by itself even though i was pushing full throttle to go back up, it just kept going down until it submerged into the ice cold lake...  im not sure how or if i can ever even retreive it now!!.... wow this sucks!!  my poor poor drone!... and it wasnt even my fault!!  i have care refresh for it but from what ive read so far, they wont replace it..  i have the whole cached video on my phone.   anyone have any suggestions and is it at all possible dji will replace my drone since it was a malfunction that resulted in the loss?  has anyone else had their mavic mini start decending on its own??
2019-12-29
Use props
fans4e1b24db
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5018947 ft
  • >>>
Vietnam

wao, same case with us and in Vietnam we have many same case like this.

CRAZY MINI
FB_IMG_1577672018104.jpg
2019-12-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We are sorry for your loss, DJI Care Refresh does not cover any loss or partial loss aircraft, gimbal or accessories, thanks for your understanding.
It is recommended to contact our support team www.dji.com/support to start a ticket for the data analysis, our team will do their best to figure out what happened and provide the proper resolution, thank you.
2019-12-29
Use props
Beckie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1307795 ft
  • >>>
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2019-12-29 19:56
We are sorry for your loss, DJI Care Refresh does not cover any loss or partial loss aircraft, gimbal or accessories, thanks for your understanding.
It is recommended to contact our support team www.dji.com/support to start a ticket for the data analysis, our team will do their best to figure out what happened and provide the proper resolution, thank you.

In my experience. I do fly inspire, Mavic pro, phantom and mini also. All of this drones intend to lose altitude if you fly a few feet above water. But not above solid ground.  I experienced over a frozen lake lackey me.
2020-1-1
Use props
JbJXw6ntYki2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 205889 ft
Canada

I've tried searching in the lake 3 times now with a wet suit and goggles in the cold water...  Still haven't found it... Soooo dissapointing... At least if I can find it I can get a replacement... I just wish there was a big warning in the box and advertising from DJI that it has problems near water so I could avoid this... Now I ordered an underwater fishing camera with lights to see if I can find it like that... Another $200 dollars. I hope this will work!
2020-1-2
Use props
Mypinknee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 30010 ft
United Kingdom

Does anyone have any comments on just how low you can safely fly over water?  Does DJI have any guidance?
2020-1-27
Use props
Beckie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1307795 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Mypinknee Posted at 1-27 17:30
Does anyone have any comments on just how low you can safely fly over water?  Does DJI have any guidance?

When it’s frozen . I don’t think you have a problem.  
2020-1-27
Use props
Dorset_Horn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 93379 ft
United Kingdom

JbJXw6ntYki2 Posted at 1-2 06:33
I've tried searching in the lake 3 times now with a wet suit and goggles in the cold water...  Still haven't found it... Soooo dissapointing... At least if I can find it I can get a replacement... I just wish there was a big warning in the box and advertising from DJI that it has problems near water so I could avoid this... Now I ordered an underwater fishing camera with lights to see if I can find it like that... Another $200 dollars. I hope this will work!

I once used a GPS app on my phone to make sure I was searching in the right place - based on the last known position on the flight log.
This was in a wood though not underwater, so I wish you luck!
2020-1-28
Use props
_Behemoth_
lvl.1

Poland

Exactly same thing happened to me yesterday. I was cruising over the lake maybe 3-4 meters above. I hoped to get a nice footage. Suddenly, about 20m away from the shore drone started loosing altitude. There was nothing I could do and... it sank forever
Looks like it's a case when the ground is not solid. Now the only option is to buy a replacement. $300 on Ebay. Be careful folks over the water. I learned my lesson.
2020-4-21
Use props
djiuser_mMxD54s1BDqz
lvl.1

Canada

Same thing happened to me just now!
Was flying with 100% Battery, and went above a nice Lake and swamp for about 30metres. Then lost control all of a sudden, start to go south by it’s own. Eventually went out of my eye sight over bushes.
Such a disappointment!
Anybody heard back from their investigation or luckily had it replaced?
2020-5-6
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10318117 ft
Canada

I'm always on edge when flying over water, I usually fly along the shoreline on the river that flows through my property. Sorry for your loss and hope that eventually that you will find it.
2020-5-8
Use props
fans49b2ed81
New

United States

So I had a similar issue... I was flying about 100 feet over a lake last week and my Mavic Mini literally fell out of the air. I do not have the care package and figured I was out of luck. My buddy has 5 of their drones and told me I should reach out... I opened a case and to my surprise, they deemed it an equipment failure and they are sending me a replacement drone and battery, free of charge. I'm impressed and will be purchasing a Mavic Air 2 tomorrow because of how they're backing their product. Great experience.
2020-5-14
Use props
djiuser_fDVRUzzQ9hMz
New

United States

Had the same thing happen to me today! My mini kept losing altitude while flying over a river then it hit a rock because of this and sank into the raging river waters
2020-6-2
Use props
djiuser_xEK7ZmS6xZok
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25043 ft
Canada

Same thing happened to me today, the drone was 4 meters above the lake , suddenly , it was out of control and dropped into to the lake! . I recorded the flight by GoPro , I will share it here!
2020-7-1
Use props
Bob Far
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25043 ft
Canada

As I said in the previous comment I missed my drone over the lake , I retrieve the log and nothing special in the log, no caution , no warning!
any one has any idea ? I bought protection plan , but I dont have my missed drone on my hand to return to DJI , I just have a video of the drone when it's dropped and the log of flight.

where I missed mt mavic mini

where I missed mt mavic mini
2020-7-1
Use props
djiuser_AdNH5pasy9dQ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 67726 ft
United States

I lost my dji mini yesterday in big bear lake California and the Battery 32% it just was go down to the water from 50 feet like give error motor over loaded how dji Company sale drone without test 100% it’s excellent for the customer and they will tell us that’s my fall and a lost 500 $ in 5 second also I have approved in dji fly recorded the fly and everything .
CFACC2F4-676E-432B-874F-8EECD6B08F33.png
0E5D08D9-5DAA-47F4-88E7-4E433D0C8B6A.png
400EE3B1-E4EF-4E58-A3FE-22511737709F.png
82B065AA-E74E-4B37-A052-446520E683BA.png
2020-7-19
Use props
VanzPix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

Hi, I'm really sorry for you. So it's a recurring problem with the mini. That's why I don't dare fly over the water. I opened a post asking for advice and I had many positive responses, but reading you it does not reassure me. Dji could give real advice the dos and don'ts to fly over the water with the MM I think you are best placed to enlighten MM users.
2020-7-20
Use props
Flat Possum
New

New Zealand

Similar story here:
I was flying my brand new Mavic Mini over the lake in still conditions it suffered some kind of control malfunction.
It was about 4m over the water when it started to climb by itself (which I countered by throttling down) then started sinking (and throttle up didn't help).
Hit the water 15m out, 5m deep.
I see in the flight log the altitude change and the stick action, there was definitely something wrong with the behaviour of it (no connection problem as footage and telemetry were good, no warnings of any sort).
I drove home, brought the SUP, used the last frame of the video to identify the crash point (from the drone's POV) then spent 25 minutes scanning the bottom, couldn't believe when I found it.
Just on the very verge of visibility.
Took me another 30 minutes to fish it out (using a hard drive's magnet on a fishing rod).
Probably been underwater for an hour and a half or so.
It's in a sealed bowl with desiccant now. I'll see how it goes in a couple of days...
2020-8-16
Use props
Martyzion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1976608 ft
United States

I'm new to DJI drones but not to flying over water.  You guys are all disabling your VPS right?  The light reflections can really confuse any drone that uses it.  Also on a hot day the downdrafts to cold water can be pretty intense.
2020-8-18
Use props
fansa911ad0b
New

Australia

My mavic mini literally fell out of the sky into water aswell it was flying fine then all of a sudden started diving down i still have the drone and hope its still usable just wish dji had some sort of warning about this malfunction.
2020-9-30
Use props
djiuser_y5L9Za0okFNk
New

Mexico

Literally was just flying my drone all day over the ocean/ beach. Threw in my second battery and was just gonna take a quick picture on the beach with my girlfriend. The drone was hovering over the waves about 20+ feet in the air. I took my eye off of the drone for literally 5 seconds and when I looked back at my screen it was disconnected and gone forever. Wasn’t even controlling the drone at the time it happened. Bums me out!
2020-12-20
Use props
feriskoo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 52569 ft
Spain

Same thing just happened to me with battery at 65%. I noticed it started climbing itself up at some points when it was flying above the water which scared me but at least it was safe. Unfortunately all of a sudden it decided to do the opposite and landed in the water, without my input. Same as mentioned above, in the flight log I can see the sudden altitude change and then lost connection. I have DJI Care Refresh so I got back with a wet suit, trying find it but no luck...    
2021-1-17
Use props
djiuser_YOHtDCTXRK4w
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2019-12-29 19:56

You guys are not sorry for the loss. .  I had the same problem.  Flying over water and suddenly descended into the lake about 15 feet from shore.  The replacement policy makes no sense.  If I send the drone in full of water and mud I get one for $49.  But if I can't retrieve it I get nothing!   It's not like you can refurbish a drone that's been underwater for weeks.  This DJI Care Refresh is a ripoff.   If the company had any compassion whatsoever and were truly sorry for the loss,  you'd treat these just like any other crash.  I get that you want to make sure people don't  abuse the policy and just say they lost it to get a second one for free, but I provided video and showing it went down.  If I can retrieve it I will send it in for the replacement but I'll never buy another DJI product and will tell everyone I know how  despicable DJI is.
2021-5-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

djiuser_YOHtDCTXRK4w Posted at 5-14 19:17
You guys are not sorry for the loss. .  I had the same problem.  Flying over water and suddenly descended into the lake about 15 feet from shore.  The replacement policy makes no sense.  If I send the drone in full of water and mud I get one for $49.  But if I can't retrieve it I get nothing!   It's not like you can refurbish a drone that's been underwater for weeks.  This DJI Care Refresh is a ripoff.   If the company had any compassion whatsoever and were truly sorry for the loss,  you'd treat these just like any other crash.  I get that you want to make sure people don't  abuse the policy and just say they lost it to get a second one for free, but I provided video and showing it went down.  If I can retrieve it I will send it in for the replacement but I'll never buy another DJI product and will tell everyone I know how  despicable DJI is.

We are sincerely sorry for your loss. According to the policy, DJI Care Refresh doesn't cover the loss of the drone. If this situation happens, we suggest contacting our support through the link below and start a case. https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav We will provide a solution according to your situation.
2021-5-26
Use props
Westameme
lvl.1
Flight distance : 56657 ft
United States

Martyzion Posted at 2020-8-18 21:38
I'm new to DJI drones but not to flying over water.  You guys are all disabling your VPS right?  The light reflections can really confuse any drone that uses it.  Also on a hot day the downdrafts to cold water can be pretty intense.

I was just about to say this! absolutely this feature has caused probably 80% of these situations
2021-7-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules