9410 11 2019-12-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chris130
lvl.3
Flight distance : 48264 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all,

I have just purchased a Mavic Mini that I am loving.

I did not opt for the Flymore combo so I only have the aircraft and one battery. In terms of storage when I will not be flying for more than 10 days, I note that the battery should be stored with a charge of about 40-70%. If I have fully charged the battery but do not fly for some reason and 10 days pass, how is best to discharge the battery to the optimum storage level? Can I leave the aircraft switched on but not flying to discharge the battery? Could leaving the aircraft on but idle (without the motors running) damage the aircraft?

Thanks in advance for your help.
2019-12-30
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would suggest flying your mini to discharge the battery to a level you desire. Leaving it turned on and sitting for long periods of time  isn’t recommended because that can cause over heating.
2019-12-30
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

I can't understand why I should discharge a battery to a certain level. What should happen if the battery is 100% charged and I don't fly for a few weeks? It is then 73% by self-charging, and ? Dead or what ?
2019-12-30
Use props
pnwflier
lvl.2
United States

It will only take a short 5-6 minute flight to discharge to 70 percent, or there abouts. If you are comfortable even hovering indoors for 5 minutes would do it.
2019-12-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Chris130. Thank you for reaching out and for this inquiry. The DJI Mavic Mini battery does not have a days until automatic self-discharge setting. For a battery that will be kept idle for more than ten days, discharge it with the two-way charging hub, or insert it into the aircraft and power on the aircraft to discharge it until the battery level drops to 40-65% ( two to three battery level indicators light up ). In addition, the battery's performance will be influenced if it is kept idle for a long time. To maintain the battery's active state, it is recommended that users charge and discharge the battery every three months. Do not completely discharge the battery and then store it for a long time; otherwise, the battery will over-discharge and the battery cells will be damaged, which will make the battery unusable. Thank you.
2019-12-30
Use props
fracz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1018061 ft
Poland

Since you can use the charging hub as a powerbank, it's easy to discharge the batteries to desired level and give some power to your phone instead of meaningless hovering indoors.

However, it seems that all of the suggestions for discharging batteries etc. are for the LiPo batteries that are inside other drones? AFAIK, MM has Li-Ion cells. Are you sure the same rules apply here?

I do not discharge my laptop when I don't use it for a month or so...
2019-12-30
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

Not ? I always discharge the battery of my car, if I'm flying away for some weeks Ok and the battery of the controller should discharged too I think.
2019-12-30
Use props
gruszon188
lvl.2
Flight distance : 50476 ft
Poland

So it's all about to not discharge battery to 0 % and leave it, just don't get it less than 20%.  Charge it to like 90% if you don't want to use the drone for a while, and then just take it,  use the drone for a while to get lower %of battery and then charge it up again .. It's easy just like that.  It's really not good for a battery if you discharge them to like 5%..  And it's not good for them if you letf them on charger all the time.  
2019-12-30
Use props
djiuser_wOxo5BtL8ZWW
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fracz Posted at 12-30 15:41
Since you can use the charging hub as a powerbank, it's easy to discharge the batteries to desired level and give some power to your phone instead of meaningless hovering indoors.

However, it seems that all of the suggestions for discharging batteries etc. are for the LiPo batteries that are inside other drones? AFAIK, MM has Li-Ion cells. Are you sure the same rules apply here?

Thanks that’s a good tip.
2019-12-30
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

Well, now we really should find out of the same IS true for the RC's battery, too.  Does it need to be discharged to half-full before storing it long term?  And how would one accomplish that?
2019-12-30
Use props
69th Drone Detachment
lvl.2

United States

jonny007 Posted at 12-30 14:51
I can't understand why I should discharge a battery to a certain level. What should happen if the battery is 100% charged and I don't fly for a few weeks? It is then 73% by self-charging, and ? Dead or what ?

Drone Valley on YouTube has a nice basic explanation of this. Also, look up LiPo battery care on youtube for some more in depth info. FYI and happy flying...
2019-12-30
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

Of course I never leave a battery with little or no charge. The question was, why you should discharge a fully charged battery after a certain time. By the way, this is a lithium ion battery, not a lithium polymer.
2019-12-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules