Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Thoughts on tips for new drone flyers
959 14 2019-12-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Okay guys, I'm thinking about doing an updated video about how to avoid crashing or losing your drone.  I did one a while back, but with all the new people that are coming to the hobby with the Mavic Mini, I thought I'd try to do a new one that is a bit more concise and related to the Mini.  
Also maybe a little less "in your face".  

If you were to make a short concise list of like 5 or 6 items to communicate to someone new, what would they be?

This is the list I initially had in mind.  Any feedback?
  • Know Environment
  • Know Your Surroundings
  • Pre-flight Inspection
  • Compass & Magnetic Interference
  • GPS Signal and Home Point Acquisition
  • RTH Height

ETA:  7. Know Your Equipment (added based on suggestion from this thread)

Thanks!

p.s. Here is the older "in your face" version referenced above...

2019-12-30
Use props
dutch937
lvl.3
Flight distance : 322461 ft
Canada

Honestly, it's like anything else, practise. Find a calm day, an open field and just fly the drone. Get as familiar as you can with it's limitations in a safe environment. I see so many videos of these reviewers of new products flying their drones on sidewalks near a busy roadway or doing distance tests and flying the drone at 400+ft ... too many bad examples on the web. No wonder they are coming out with crazy laws that will destroy the hobby.
2019-12-30
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

dutch937 Posted at 12-30 18:30
Honestly, it's like anything else, practise. Find a calm day, an open field and just fly the drone. Get as familiar as you can with it's limitations in a safe environment. I see so many videos of these reviewers of new products flying their drones on sidewalks near a busy roadway or doing distance tests and flying the drone at 400+ft ... too many bad examples on the web. No wonder they are coming out with crazy laws that will destroy the hobby.

Thanks for the feedback!

I disagree with the just practice theme.  That may be applicable for someone after they've got some basic knowledge.  I've seen countless people in this forum and others wanting to just practice and end up with crashing or losing their drone because they didn't know about magnetic interference or wait for the GPS signal to get locked in or a number of other things that some of us that have been flying for years are now aware of as common knowledge.  But may not necessarily be so common knowledge for someone that just bought a new toy and want to test it out.

My first crash was 100% my fault because I had no clue about magnetic interference.  I took off right next to a huge chunk of metal and had no clue it would cause problems.  

I'd like to be concise and specific with the advice I give to help prevent such issues.

Thanks!
2019-12-30
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

battery level above 60% for RC, AC and phone
2019-12-30
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

lannes Posted at 12-30 18:56
battery level above 60%

Agreed, battery check would be part of the pre-flight inspection.  I will actually recommend 100% for a new flight for new fliers.
2019-12-30
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Watch wind levels as the mini struggles in windy conditions

Fly against the wind going out, so that you have a tailwind coming back
2019-12-30
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

lannes Posted at 12-30 19:00
Watch wind levels as the mini struggles in windy conditions

Fly against the wind going out, so that you have a tailwind coming back

Agreed!  That would be the main portion of the "know the environment" portion.  Higher wind speeds at different altitudes would also be part of that.
2019-12-30
Use props
Steven Huynh
New

Vietnam

Hello my dear!,
2019-12-30
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Maybe they should watch all the DJI Mavic Mini videos as well as yours

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClH0xVO3zOfYdGjoPU6S2hw/search?query=mavic+mini
2019-12-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

KlooGee Posted at 12-30 19:01
Agreed!  That would be the main portion of the "know the environment" portion.  Higher wind speeds at different altitudes would also be part of that.

For first few flights (of any drone), would suggest not even a breeze.  
To many other things to learn and concentrate on, to deal with wind, which may be gusting.

How trees can buffer wind to where you don't notice wind, but there is real wind above trees.
Might warn about flying near buildings where wind is tunneled and wind can swirl.

2019-12-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm guessing you will mention the use of Apps in the section of Knowing Your Environment.  UAV Forecast, B4UFly, etc.  

Thanks for taking on the task of a new video to help out new flyers.  It appears many don't even bother to read the User Manual so hopefully they are more amenable to getting necessary tips from a video.  

I use and gave my grandson a copy of the pre-flight checklist that Hallmark007 put out in one of the MM threads.  Also great information for new flyers as well as good reminders for those of us who have flown a while.   

Happy New Year.
2020-1-1
Use props
RK7dronzy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2278898 ft
United Kingdom

I agree and would add to the list Read The Manual at least 5 times because all the info is there. I think people are in too much of a hurry to get airborne which is fair enough but with its pitfalls. I personally read the manual over and over again and even then i was not 100% sure until i was in the air. Practice makes for better flying and i still had a couple of brushes with near drone destruction. Very few vids on line talk about the importance of the manual before flying your expensive equipment.
2020-1-2
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2019-12-30 23:13
For first few flights (of any drone), would suggest not even a breeze.  
To many other things to learn and concentrate on, to deal with wind, which may be gusting.

I agree!  Wind will be a big portion of the environment section and taking into account sheltered areas like behind trees and buildings.  Thanks!
2020-1-2
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-1 05:30
I'm guessing you will mention the use of Apps in the section of Knowing Your Environment.  UAV Forecast, B4UFly, etc.  

Thanks for taking on the task of a new video to help out new flyers.  It appears many don't even bother to read the User Manual so hopefully they are more amenable to getting necessary tips from a video.  

Yes, his pre-flight checklist is great!  I will plan to briefly mention some of those apps, but won't go into depth on them.  Thanks for the comments!  Much appreciated!
2020-1-2
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

RK7dronzy Posted at 1-2 02:51
I agree and would add to the list Read The Manual at least 5 times because all the info is there. I think people are in too much of a hurry to get airborne which is fair enough but with its pitfalls. I personally read the manual over and over again and even then i was not 100% sure until i was in the air. Practice makes for better flying and i still had a couple of brushes with near drone destruction. Very few vids on line talk about the importance of the manual before flying your expensive equipment.

Good point!  Perhaps I should add a 7th item for "know your equipment"...  Thanks for the thoughts!
2020-1-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules