Mavic Mini LENS or sensor quality issue (edge/border disto...
3396 28 2019-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
m15alien
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6878596 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Hi, I didn't find any posts about this new lens/camera issue i recently discover watching my footage. In the footage examples  it is visible the twist lens issue, the wave distortion at the bottom of the image (but it is also on the upper edge) is more visible or strong during horizontal movement of the drone (from left to right or right to left). I think the problem is less visible in the youtube footage because there is a loss of information during the video upload, but it is always visible in the original footage. I do not know if it is a software or hardware issue, I barely see the wave effect (that is visible mainly on the  bottom border left and right) when the mini goes and shoots forward or backward or during circular movement.

Example 4

Is it an hardware or software issue?  
The gimbal movements seems to be ok.  However the "wave noise" is visible on every clip.Do you have the same issue? If so perhaps is a product feature .....

However my DjI App  (Android) ver is 1.0.4
Mavic Mini Firmware 01.00.0400

Any suggestion or should I open a repair (under warranty) case?

Thanks and Happy New Year to you All.

m15

2019-12-31
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. I would recommend to please try to reset the camera settings and calibrate the gimbal to isolate the issue. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2019-12-31
Use props
m15alien
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-31 14:04
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. I would recommend to please try to reset the camera settings and calibrate the gimbal to isolate the issue. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.

Hi DJI Paladin, thanks for the answer.  
Just to update you all, after I loaded the Mavic Mini firmware to the latest release yesterday and updated also the Android app, I reset the camera, gimbal and had a compass calibration to start with a clean configuration after the update of the Mini.
I thought It could be also an SD Card Issue (I use Evo plus 32G) so I changed it with a new spare one sd and I went to have a last 2019 flight.
Unfortunately the issue of the camera wave seems to be still there.
Are your footage ok or do you have the same issue?

2019-12-31
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Not sure if this might be the same problem but others have had these type of video issues

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... s-not-fix-it.76108/

I don't think they were able to fix it other than returning the AC  on warranty and getting another brand

2020-1-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

m15alien Posted at 2019-12-31 23:42
Hi DJI Paladin, thanks for the answer.  Just to update you all, after I loaded the Mavic Mini firmware to the latest release yesterday and updated also the Android app, I reset the camera, gimbal and had a compass calibration to start with a clean configuration after the update of the Mini.
I thought It could be also an SD Card Issue (I use Evo plus 32G) so I changed it with a new spare one sd and I went to have a last 2019 flight.

The SD card does not have any effect on the quality of the image, it is a digital recording, it either records, or it doesn't.

The effect you are seeing is slight lens distortion, and is present on every camera. In drones it is a bit more noticeable because they use lightweight plastic lenses to keep weight down, and those lenses are not as finely refined as top quality optical glass lenses. If you were to see the image in RAW you would be horrified at how much distortion is actually present, but it is corrected by firmware in the image processor in the drone.

You may not want to hear this, but the small degree of distortion is perfectly normal for a camera that is this simple and at this price point.
2020-1-1
Use props
m15alien
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

Geebax Posted at 1-1 00:52
The SD card does not have any effect on the quality of the image, it is a digital recording, it either records, or it doesn't.

The effect you are seeing is slight lens distortion, and is present on every camera. In drones it is a bit more noticeable because they use lightweight plastic lenses to keep weight down, and those lenses are not as finely refined as top quality optical glass lenses. If you were to see the image in RAW you would be horrified at how much distortion is actually present, but it is corrected by firmware in the image processor in the drone.

I fully agree your SD card answer.Perhaps you are right for the slight lens distortion (that for me is quite important), so I understand that every Mini should have the same camera issues more or less.
However I sow another video (raw file from a different Mavic Mini) but I didn't notice this effect in any part of the footage. It could be nice if Mavic mini users check their fotage and let me know if the have the same "feature". If you have/use a Mini, when it is possible, could you check your raw footage please? Thanks for your support and let me know.
2020-1-1
Use props
m15alien
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

lannes Posted at 1-1 00:25
Not sure if this might be the same problem but others have had these type of video issues

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... s-not-fix-it.76108/

Thanks for your support, I think the issue I reported is different.
If you have a Mini can you check if you notice in the raw file my same issue please?
If so, then it could be a product feature that a bug or lens corruption. Thanks
2020-1-1
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I think this is the same problem your having , it's a gimbal issue that needs to go back to DJI for fix

https://forum.dji.com/thread-117709-1-1.html#post_1013281

I've looked at a lot of other Mini videos and they don't have this same problem, they all have the edge problem to a certain degree but not your wavy/ jello effect.

Your effect is more subtle, but nevertheless it is there

2020-1-1
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

m15alien Posted at 1-1 02:40
Thanks for your support, I think the issue I reported is different.
If you have a Mini can you check if you notice in the raw file my same issue please?
If so, then it could be a product feature that a bug or lens corruption. Thanks

m15alien, were you in Sport mode when you made this video?  As I read down through this thread I kept thinking this is a gimbal issue.  If it turns out to be a gimbal issue you will need to send it to DJI.  
2020-1-1
Use props
m15alien
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-1 07:40
m15alien, were you in Sport mode when you made this video?  As I read down through this thread I kept thinking this is a gimbal issue.  If it turns out to be a gimbal issue you will need to send it to DJI.

Thanks, I was in P mode, I mainly use the position mode to take the footage.
Why do you think it is a Gimbal issue?
IMO it seems to be more a lens or sensor problem. If the problem is related to the gimbal part I believe that the jello/wave effect should take the whole picture and not very specific part of the image.
2020-1-1
Use props
m15alien
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

lannes Posted at 1-1 03:56
I think this is the same problem your having , it's a gimbal issue that needs to go back to DJI for fix

https://forum.dji.com/thread-117709-1-1.html#post_1013281

Thanks, I red the post you shared about mavic pro gimbal and it's of course a gimbal issue (the video shows that the whole picture is affected).
The issue I reported is very a light wave and it is limited on some specific points of the image. I think it is  more a lens issue rather than a gimbal one.
Do you know if there is some DJI Engineer in this forum that can confirm my suspect?

Thanks.
2020-1-1
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

m15alien Posted at 1-1 08:23
Thanks, I red the post you shared about mavic pro gimbal and it's of course a gimbal issue (the video shows that the whole picture is affected).
The issue I reported is very a light wave and it is limited on some specific points of the image. I think it is  more a lens issue rather than a gimbal one.
Do you know if there is some DJI Engineer in this forum that can confirm my suspect?

This is what you have, I was trying to find the best explanation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter

2020-1-1
Use props
m15alien
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

lannes Posted at 1-1 09:10
This is what you have, I was trying to find the best explanation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter

Thanks for your search. I see in your badge icon that you use a mavic Mini, if so do you have the issue I reported?
2020-1-1
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

m15alien Posted at 1-1 09:23
Thanks for your search. I see in your badge icon that you use a mavic Mini, if so do you have the issue I reported?

No, I don't have this problem on my mini or any of the AC's I have
2020-1-1
Use props
m15alien
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

lannes Posted at 1-1 09:32
No, I don't have this problem on my mini or any of the AC's I have

Thanks a lot Iannes, this is an important answer, I believe this means that it is not a product feature but a slight bug in the sw or hw of my mini, so I'll have to open a DJI repair case under warranty.
However I contacted the DJI online support asking to check this post. I'm waiting their feedback.
Do you have any useful suggestion to manage this issue with DJI?
2020-1-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

m15alien Posted at 1-1 09:43
Thanks a lot Iannes, this is an important answer, I believe this means that it is not a product feature but a slight bug in the sw or hw of my mini, so I'll have to open a DJI repair case under warranty.
However I contacted the DJI online support asking to check this post. I'm waiting their feedback.
Do you have any useful suggestion to manage this issue with DJI?

I don't have a Mini, mine is a M2 Pro, and so far I have not shot any footage with it (only received it a few days ago). But I can tell you with a high degree of certainty that is is definitely a lens issue, and has nothing to do with the gimbal. If you consider the cost of the entire MM, then the camera is probably a $100 item, and you cannot expect much in the way of quality for that price.
2020-1-1
Use props
42Neil
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I have also noticed this waving/bulging effect in my own mavic mini videos, and this issue has also been discussed by others in another thread.

It seems to be easiest to notice during shots with sideways movement (yaws or pans) and with sufficient detail at the edges of the frame to be able to spot it (such as your examples).  It is one of those things that is tricky to spot initially, but once you do see it is hard to unsee.

I'm not sure if this is an issue on all minis (and just isn't very widely noticed), or if it only affects some units.  FWIW it doesn't look like rolling shutter to me (as some have suggested); my best guess is that it is possibly an artifact of software lens distortion correction.
2020-1-1
Use props
42Neil
lvl.3
United Kingdom

There is also another example of it in this thread.
2020-1-1
Use props
m15alien
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

42Neil Posted at 1-1 15:28
There is also another example of it in this thread.

Yes, I red the post you shared, thanks, I see it's my same problem so I close this thread and I move to the open one, where there are many users with the same issue: Ripple effect in raw video

Thanks for your support.

2020-1-1
Use props
m15alien
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

Geebax Posted at 1-1 12:45
I don't have a Mini, mine is a M2 Pro, and so far I have not shot any footage with it (only received it a few days ago). But I can tell you with a high degree of certainty that is is definitely a lens issue, and has nothing to do with the gimbal. If you consider the cost of the entire MM, then the camera is probably a $100 item, and you cannot expect much in the way of quality for that price.

Thanks, I think you are right, the camera component on the Mini should be not too much expansive, another user wrote that there is an open thread about the same issue and that more "pilots" are waiting for an official DJI view. So I move my attention there.

Thanks a lot for your support.

Best regards
2020-1-1
Use props
m15alien
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

Please check the updated thread  Mavic Mini Ripple effect in raw video to follow this issue (THX to 42Neil):

Best regards

m15
2020-1-1
Use props
Burak C.
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21814 ft
Turkey

Hello, if you have the MM's box, could you check the production date? is it 2019/10 or 2019/11? Because a guy had the same problem in another topic, he got a replacement and he said that now it is gone and the old ones production date was 2019/10 and the new one 2019/11 so the problem was solved. I guess it was a hardware issue, i checked mine and it is 2019/11 but i will check properly.
2020-1-2
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

m15alien Posted at 2019-12-31 23:42
Hi DJI Paladin, thanks for the answer.  Just to update you all, after I loaded the Mavic Mini firmware to the latest release yesterday and updated also the Android app, I reset the camera, gimbal and had a compass calibration to start with a clean configuration after the update of the Mini.
I thought It could be also an SD Card Issue (I use Evo plus 32G) so I changed it with a new spare one sd and I went to have a last 2019 flight.

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to the said issue. Since you have tried multiple troubleshooting steps and the issue still persists. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI support team to start up a ticket at ( https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav ) to further diagnose this matter and a proper resolution will be provided . We have the professional team who would do their best to assists you with regards to this matter. We hope to hear from you as soon as possible for a swift resolution. Thank you.
2020-1-2
Use props
m15alien
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

Burak C. Posted at 1-2 13:19
Hello, if you have the MM's box, could you check the production date? is it 2019/10 or 2019/11? Because a guy had the same problem in another topic, he got a replacement and he said that now it is gone and the old ones production date was 2019/10 and the new one 2019/11 so the problem was solved. I guess it was a hardware issue, i checked mine and it is 2019/11 but i will check properly.

Mine is 2019/10 so it should be one of the first Mini stock....
2020-1-2
Use props
m15alien
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-2 14:11
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to the said issue. Since you have tried multiple troubleshooting steps and the issue still persists. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI support team to start up a ticket at ( https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav ) to further diagnose this matter and a proper resolution will be provided . We have the professional team who would do their best to assists you with regards to this matter. We hope to hear from you as soon as possible for a swift resolution. Thank you.

OK, thanks. I'll go in that direction.

2020-1-2
Use props
42Neil
lvl.3
United Kingdom

FWIW, mine was 2019/10 stock too (and has the issue).
2020-1-3
Use props
m15alien
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

Just to update the thread:
I opened a repair case and DJI sent me a new working replacement (under warranty)  that has no lens distortion. The replacement belongs to 12/2019 stock.
2020-1-30
Use props
Murchx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 232126 ft
Latvia

m15alien Posted at 1-2 14:13
Mine is 2019/10 so it should be one of the first Mini stock....

I have 2019/11 (EU / CE), DJI support told this is caused by distortion correction algorithm and will be optimized in the future firmware update (december 6th). Can't wait...
2020-3-19
Use props
Murchx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 232126 ft
Latvia

Looks like problem fixed with firmware v01.00.0500, thanks DJI.

2020-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules