1013 13 2020-1-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ian in London
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well my midnight New Year's Eve celebrations went a bit off the mark when the apparently lightest of breezes blew my Mini away.  But with the help of AirData.com, I show how things can be way different up high and why this great little drone is catching so many people out with its blowaways....
Happy New Year everyone!

Ian

2020-1-1
Use props
TDZHDTV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

Very honest summary
2020-1-1
Use props
jonny007
lvl.4
Germany

But nothing new ... check the wind at altitude before the flight and reduce the altitude immediately when a strong wind warning appears. And do not provoke a RTH that may make the drone ascent in the wind.
2020-1-1
Use props
Ian in London
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jonny007 Posted at 1-1 12:12
But nothing new ... check the wind at altitude before the flight and reduce the altitude immediately when a strong wind warning appears. And do not provoke a RTH that may make the drone ascent in the wind.

That's easy to say, but Mavic Air and Pro flyers have been ignoring wind warnings forever, as they come up so frequently even on the calmest of days.  
As ever, this is a video for others to learn from.....

Cheers,
Ian
2020-1-1
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 914012 ft
United Kingdom

Going to watch that later tonight, thanks Ian
2020-1-1
Use props
jonny007
lvl.4
Germany

Ian in London Posted at 1-1 12:31
That's easy to say, but Mavic Air and Pro flyers have been ignoring wind warnings forever, as they come up so frequently even on the calmest of days.  
As ever, this is a video for others to learn from.....

What can I say, it is so. Ok, then the learning effect of your video is that compared to Air and Pro pilots, mini owners pay more attention to warnings and wind forecasts than to ignore them. Yes so it is well described. :-)
2020-1-1
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for sharing this informative video you have created. I am sorry to know about the unfortunate incident that happened to your drone. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team to start up a ticket. Our professional support team will do their best to assists with your DJI Mavic Mini. Thank you.
2020-1-1
Use props
djicheaha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2957598 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the tracking of "find my drone", as I had a similar experience. Mine was daytime. Bird eye direct line of sight, it was great to come up on the MM. Glad that it all worked out. Good start to the new year. Happy flights in the New Year.
2020-1-1
Use props
Ian in London
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-1 14:32
Hi. Thank you for sharing this informative video you have created. I am sorry to know about the unfortunate incident that happened to your drone. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team to start up a ticket. Our professional support team will do their best to assists with your DJI Mavic Mini. Thank you.

Thanks Paladin
No need for a ticket; all working fine and ready for the New Year.

Many thanks
Ian
2020-1-2
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ian

I note that the Air Data website does not list the DJI Fly app but I assume it must work as you did it

Dennis
2020-1-2
Use props
fansbd5c48d6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1481995 ft
United States

I hadn’t thought of it before but having a small strobe light not only helps when in the air at night, in situations like this it could also be a huge aid when looking for a downed drone. Plus, even though the MM battery might be depleted chances are the strobe would still be functioning.
2020-1-2
Use props
Ian in London
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 1-2 00:22
Ian

I note that the Air Data website does not list the DJI Fly app but I assume it must work as you did it

I just manually uploaded the flight logs; I haven't ever used their automatic upload.. Old habits die hard
2020-1-2
Use props
Azayda
lvl.1
Flight distance : 301250 ft

Australia

Good save! Happened to me too, even though UAV Forecast said it was ok to fly I didn't check it at higher elevation and got caught with the RTH which ascended to 80m and bye bye, however 6 days of searching and she's home safe now Well done on recovering her great video and clear points well done!
2020-1-2
Use props
Ian in London
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Azayda Posted at 1-2 13:50
Good save! Happened to me too, even though UAV Forecast said it was ok to fly I didn't check it at higher elevation and got caught with the RTH which ascended to 80m and bye bye, however 6 days of searching and she's home safe now  Well done on recovering her great video and clear points well done!

Wow! 6 Days!  Great you got it back....
Did the Find My Drone not work? And did you have any rain during that time?   
2020-1-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules