Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How high does your Mavic Pro get ..
850 22 2020-1-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
v01d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1047100 ft
Australia

Yesterday I tried first time to the max - got 499 m after which it refused.

How high / altitude do you get ?  Both, relative to take off and like, absolute - say if you taken off some mountain?
2020-1-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

In U.S. it is 400-feet (above take-off) with an exception.  Per FAA Part-107 - "The maximum allowable altitude is 400 feet above the ground, higher if your drone remains within 400 feet of a structure."  

2020-1-1
Use props
v01d
lvl.3
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 1-1 23:08
In U.S. it is 400-feet (above take-off) with an exception.  Per FAA Part-107 - "The maximum allowable altitude is 400 feet above the ground, higher if your drone remains within 400 feet of a structure."

400-feet sucks...

Is that anywhere, even in a wild ..?
2020-1-2
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

In OZ, the CASA limit is 120m
2020-1-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

v01d Posted at 1-2 03:16
400-feet sucks...

Is that anywhere, even in a wild ..?

Applies across United States, city, rural, country, and remote areas alike.
2020-1-2
Use props
v01d
lvl.3
Australia

lannes Posted at 1-2 03:44
In OZ, the CASA limit is 120m

Ooopps ... need to know the guidelines.

500 above.   That's from 4k video, but I do not have software to save one frame in full res, had to just pause/snapshot.

2020-1-2
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

v01d Posted at 1-2 16:42
Ooopps ... need to know the guidelines.

500 above.   That's from 4k video, but I do not have software to save one frame in full res, had to just pause/snapshot.

Nice

Check out the DJI Fly Safe map, to see if there are any restrictions where you fly

https://www.dji.com/au/flysafe/geo-map

It looks like your in country Victoria
2020-1-2
Use props
v01d
lvl.3
Australia

lannes Posted at 1-2 18:00
Nice

Check out the DJI Fly Safe map, to see if there are any restrictions where you fly

Yea thanks !

I see nothing restricted / ing in that area.   Does that mean I can go higher than 120m, or, 120m is general limit anywhere in AU?
2020-1-2
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

v01d Posted at 1-2 18:27
Yea thanks !

I see nothing restricted / ing in that area.   Does that mean I can go higher than 120m, or, 120m is general limit anywhere in AU?

Legally it's 120m everywhere in AU

Also at 500m the wind conditions up there are totally different to ground level, so you could loose the drone to strong winds

Have a look at the UAV forecast app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.uavforecast

For drone flight rules in Australia , check this out

https://www.casa.gov.au/knowyour ... EAAYASAAEgKGlPD_BwE

Also if you exceed the rules, try not posting the videos on youtube for the public to see

From the rules I also see now, we are not allowed to fly at night and in certain weather, this was not there before

"You must only fly during the day and you must not fly through cloud or fog."

Some interesting reads:

https://www.flightsafetyaustrali ... ice-of-foolishness/

https://dronedj.com/2019/08/24/a ... 0-flying-illegally/

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018 ... -difficult/10153104

2020-1-2
Use props
Madperk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 650089 ft
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 1-1 23:08

Make sure you use AGL not (above take-off).  You could take off on a hill top and fly over a valley with several hundred ft of elevation change and if flying at the maximum end up several hundred ft above the limit.  

Know the topology where you are flying.  If you are in a new location use google earth to measure the surrounding area.  Around my house I am in a restriction zone with 250 and 300 ft restrictions where I usually fly. I set my rth @250 and my max altitude @300 and just know where to Reduce altitude.  I typically fly 50 - 100 ft above tree level.   
2020-1-2
Use props
v01d
lvl.3
Australia

Madperk Posted at 1-2 20:18
Make sure you use AGL not (above take-off).  You could take off on a hill top and fly over a valley with several hundred ft of elevation change and if flying at the maximum end up several hundred ft above the limit.  

Know the topology where you are flying.  If you are in a new location use google earth to measure the surrounding area.  Around my house I am in a restriction zone with 250 and 300 ft restrictions where I usually fly. I set my rth @250 and my max altitude @300 and just know where to Reduce altitude.  I typically fly 50 - 100 ft above tree level.

Err,  need to check what AGL is ...
Btw,
> ... I set my rth @250

What is "rth"  ?
2020-1-3
Use props
v01d
lvl.3
Australia

lannes Posted at 1-2 18:42
Legally it's 120m everywhere in AU

Also at 500m the wind conditions up there are totally different to ground level, so you could loose the drone to strong winds

Oh thanks mate for the links !

Reading about it, and,  well, don't want to sound negative or anything, but, it seems so restricted that one may wonder why do I buy such expensive cam at all ..

I mean, a fine for being within 300 m from whales .. ..? C'mmon.   Is this environmental nazies or what.. (Sorry sounding bogan here.).

Just a bit more restrictions, and one won't be allowed to fly the drone anywhere except in the field of corn with no one beneath including rat & mice..

Btw, I'm gonna take a drone course, for commercial I decided.  Will learn all CASA rules.
2020-1-3
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

v01d Posted at 1-3 16:03
Oh thanks mate for the links !

Reading about it, and,  well, don't want to sound negative or anything, but, it seems so restricted that one may wonder why do I buy such expensive cam at all ..

I guess with the drone rules, common sense should prevail

If the DJI Fly Safe geo map is showing no flight zones with issues near you, I guess your good to go, but I'd fly lower for fear of loosing the drone due to high winds up at 500m

The  MP is a powerful drone  but you tend to use more battery power fighting winds while flying/hovering at altitude and you may not have enough juice to get home, especially if you have a headwind on the way back.

The DJI automatic battery calculations don't take into account wind speed, so you need a margin of error, it's also a good habit to fly against the wind going out so you'll have a tailwind coming back.
2020-1-3
Use props
v01d
lvl.3
Australia

lannes Posted at 1-3 16:22

If the DJI Fly Safe geo map is showing no flight zones with issues near you, I guess your good to go, but I'd fly lower for fear of loosing the drone due to high winds up at 500m

Btw,
From one of your links I checked there used to be app where can I fly by CASA, and was retired and replaced by OpenSky, which, I check now on my phone it has very bad / low reviews.

Do you use it? Whats your opinion
2020-1-3
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

v01d Posted at 1-3 19:19
Btw,
From one of your links I checked there used to be app where can I fly by CASA, and was retired and replaced by OpenSky, which, I check now on my phone it has very bad / low reviews.

Yes I do use opensky

DJI uses their own Fly Safe, this is zoning that the drones respond to based on your gps postion.
but it also use to  use opensky for last minute restrictions e.g bush fire related

Zoning doesn't change often, so if your aware then it's no problem

2020-1-3
Use props
v01d
lvl.3
Australia

lannes Posted at 1-3 19:36
Yes I do use opensky

DJI uses their own Fly Safe, this is zoning that the drones respond to based on your gps postion.

So you would say, Fly Safe is the ultimate reference?

I'm wondering because Fly Safe didn't flag my place anyway (one I took the above photo), while OpenSky put it in Yellow zone,  alerting of helicopter pad near by somewhere.

Per OpenSky, I can proceed to fly, but, if I see a chopper I should land, way I understood it ..
2020-1-3
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

v01d Posted at 1-3 19:42

I'm wondering because Fly Safe didn't flag my place anyway (one I took the above photo), while OpenSky put it in Yellow zone,  alerting of helicopter pad near by somewhere.

I would say Fly Safe is a basic reference but OpenSky is more relevant and accurate for Australian skies

But the way it's deployed in DJI Fly, Fly Safe is what determines whether the drone can take off or not, authorisation zone unlocking etc.

That is why I use both to get an idea

2020-1-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

lannes Posted at 1-3 16:22

"The DJI automatic battery calculations don't take into account wind speed, so you need a margin of error, it's also a good habit to fly against the wind going out so you'll have a tailwind coming back."

Would add, Don't count on Wind...
1) at altitude blowing same direction as wind at ground.
2) during a long flight to blow same speed and same direction.

2020-1-3
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

v01d Posted at 1-3 19:42

Forgot to tell you the Mavic Pro is limited by DJI to 500m
2020-1-3
Use props
Beeworld
lvl.4
Flight distance : 190259 ft
Australia

OpenSky is the CASA approved app at present, so a good one to abide by. And yes, CASA check for vids that breach standard operating procedures, so fly legal! 'AGL' = above ground level; rth = return to home; 120 m max legal altitude in Australia as already mentioned.
2020-1-3
Use props
v01d
lvl.3
Australia

lannes Posted at 1-3 22:07

Hey Iannes,

Yes, I saw that one cannot change above that.   I guess they could, in principle, but DJI set the max limit.

Anyway, need to stick to the lower limit of 120  .. .

Btw, if you have a RePL license, can one apply and get permission to fly higher at some areas?
2020-1-4
Use props
v01d
lvl.3
Australia

lannes Posted at 1-3 22:07

Also wanted to say, very cute profile pic .... Those eyes  
2020-1-4
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

v01d Posted at 1-4 16:02
Hey Iannes,

Yes, I saw that one cannot change above that.   I guess they could, in principle, but DJI set the max limit.

You could get permission to fly above 120m from CASA,but you'd have to have a very good commercial or safety reason
2020-1-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules