Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
My Mini dropped from sky
6056 79 2020-1-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JM.REYES
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84423 ft
Spain

Feliz año a todos.
Paisano, te acabo de leer y ahora me da miedo sacar a pasear al pájaro, esperemos que el problema sea algo solo puntual, por otra parte me alegro mucho de que solo te ayas llevado el susto y nada más ( que el susto no es poco). Ahora no sé qué hacer, si volarlo sin separarlo más de 10 metros para probar el nuevo Firmware o esperar a ver qué sucede por este foro.
Abrazos.

----------------
Happy New Year to everyone. Countryman, I just read you and now I am afraid to take the bird for a walk, hopefully the problem is something only punctual, on the other hand I am very glad that you only take the fright and nothing more (that the scare is not small ). Now I don't know what to do, if I fly it without separating it more than 10 meters to try the new Firmware or wait to see what happens through this forum. Hugs.
2020-1-2
Use props
JM.REYES
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84423 ft
Spain

Considero muy importante tener CONFIANZA en tu equipo para poder volar tranquilo y garantizar la seguridad que requiere y se exige, por nuestro bien y el todos.
--------------------------
I consider it very important to have TRUST in your team to be able to fly quietly and guarantee the security that is required and demanded, for our good and everyone.
2020-1-2
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

JodyB Posted at 1-2 12:39
I think we all like to do "tricks" on occasion. They are very much good fun!! Just got to know your limits, but how else to learn them?

guess both are good reason, skill improvement while having fun.
And ofcourse in an area where there is enough free airspace!
2020-1-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

JJB* Posted at 1-2 12:32
no thanks,   ido fly cautious as well but its fun to see what is possible to do.
Flying full speed forward, up  and than quickturn to fly forward and decscending again....good fun to do  ;-)

"Flying full speed forward, up  and than quickturn to fly forward and decscending again"

With someone elses drone!  
2020-1-2
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 1-2 13:34
"Flying full speed forward, up  and than quickturn to fly forward and decscending again"

With someone elses drone!

lol   i had my Spark for that fun, MA + MM for serious flights
2020-1-2
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

JJB* Posted at 1-2 12:32
no thanks,   ido fly cautious as well but its fun to see what is possible to do.
Flying full speed forward, up  and than quickturn to fly forward and decscending again....good fun to do  ;-)

Exactly, being cautious and with space a bit of fun doesn't hurt anyone
2020-1-2
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

speed_freakz Posted at 1-2 12:34
My mini dropped today too, and it never happened before. I thought wind mustve been the problem, but usually during windy flights drona changes its x y rotation a bit but today it waant like that, so I think it was not the wind that caused it. I was going back to my position at around 20m hight, not more than 50m distance, iflying n P mode and it just dropped like 3-4m down. I thought it was a gonner-it was across water.
I have it on video , gonna post  tomorrow .

Post and link here too, if is something we all can contribute to improve, great.
2020-1-2
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

JM.REYES Posted at 1-2 12:40
Feliz año a todos.
Paisano, te acabo de leer y ahora me da miedo sacar a pasear al pájaro, esperemos que el problema sea algo solo puntual, por otra parte me alegro mucho de que solo te ayas llevado el susto y nada más ( que el susto no es poco). Ahora no sé qué hacer, si volarlo sin separarlo más de 10 metros para probar el nuevo Firmware o esperar a ver qué sucede por este foro.
Abrazos.

Nothing to be scared off, just make sure you are VLOS if you go crazy in Sports mode.
I have to test more tomorrow.
////////
Nada de que preocuparse, asegurate de estar VLOS si haces cosasen modo sport.
Tengo que testear mas mañana.
2020-1-2
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

JodyB Posted at 1-2 12:39
I think we all like to do "tricks" on occasion. They are very much good fun!! Just got to know your limits, but how else to learn them?

Exactly, I think is a good practice if yo find something abnormal, try to repeat it a coupke if times and report, we all can kine tune tge mini to perfection.

2020-1-2
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

InspektorGadjet, I don't mean to hijack your thread but thought the last paragraph of my last reading/learning session my apply.

I learned a couple of new things today.  Who says we are too old to learn?  LOL

I’m sure most of you (us) know that an Inertial measurement unit (IMU) is an electronic device that measures and reports an object’s specific force, angular velocity and attitude (including Its course angle, pitch angle, and roll angle) using data from the accelerometer, gyroscope, thermometer, and barometer.

I did know that the onboard thermometer detects aircraft temperature and, over time, changes in aircraft temperature.  What I didn’t know was that each time you turn on your drone the IMU needs to warm up to the temperature at which you last calibrated.  For example, if you calibrate the IMU at room temperature, the next time you start the drone it needs to warm up to room temperature before the IMU is stabilized and the drone fully ready to fly.  What this means is if I calibrate in a warm place and then take it outdoors in the cold to fly, I should be waiting for the IMU to warm back up.  Knowing this I’m going to extend my pre-flight hover a bit to compensate.

On all DJI products the barometer measures changes in height.  If you are experiencing altitude drops during flight then try recalibrating your IMU so the barometer will reset and function properly.
2020-1-2
Use props
TDZHDTV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-2 14:28
InspektorGadjet, I don't mean to hijack your thread but thought the last paragraph of my last reading/learning session my apply.

Interesting, what if I calibrate in a room with low temperatures?
2020-1-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

JJB* Posted at 1-2 08:21
Mavic Mini does not show VPS height info in the FlyApp. Only barometric sensor data.

Go App does show both if within VPS height range.

Check out this video, it will give a good indication of the difference in how MM actually determines altitude a bit of an eye opener .

2020-1-2
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-2 14:10
Exactly, I think is a good practice if yo find something abnormal, try to repeat it a coupke if times and report, we all can kine tune tge mini to perfection.

I agree, but also it’s important to remember that if you are going to push the mini to start small and build up and recognize when the limits are being pushed and that little bit more is probably too much. Unless you’re just adventurous and have the extra money to spend on a new mini, lol!!!
2020-1-2
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Very informative video Hallmark007.  Thanks for sharing.
2020-1-2
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

TDZHDTV Posted at 1-2 16:05

Then you'd be good to go to fly in equivalent temps outside.  The biggest factor appears to be calibrating in a warm indoors and then go out into the cold to fly.  I'll try a reverse experiment tomorrow AM and calibrate my MM in a walk-in freezer and then take it out in the 75 degree temperature and see how it reacts.  
2020-1-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

TDZHDTV Posted at 1-2 16:05

It will wait until it reaches that temp before it’s safe to fly ,
2020-1-2
Use props
Guorium
lvl.4
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

I flew in cold near zero jiuzhaigou in China. 3200m. Altitude dipped suddenly and almost hit water below. That was sooooo close. Only occurred once tho. Other flights nearby are fine.
2020-1-2
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-2 07:55
Minimum safe is 8, I took off with 10, at 0:20 11 sats.
At 1:45 12 sats. At 1:51 13 sats, I didnt go far until I had 12.
I would expect some drift sideways if it was GPS related but not height.

Minimum I think is actually 5.  I can fly my M2P with full confidence even at night that has developed from using the XT.  I just make sure the ISO is cranked all the way in photo mode so I can actually see the obstacles first then switch the settings.  If you have the money to spend, the upper-end DJI drones are actually reliable.  Just need to make sure you don't crash into anything or fly too low thinking it's ok w/ lack of understanding as many have already.

Pop up to say 80m, look around, if there is nothing then you should be ok to fly around.  Flying low and tight may require some finessing but you need to be near 100% sure there is nothing there.  At least know the area during the day.  If you are at 150m, 100% nothing is there unless you live where the tallest trees in the world or skyscrapers/towers of course are but it gets boring the higher up you get.

Pop up, fly to a location, drop down, get your shots, pop up, get out.
2020-1-2
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 1-2 16:23
Check out this video, it will give a good indication of the difference in how MM actually determines altitude a bit of an eye opener .

Interesting, but as you see when he did fly lower that starting point the FlyApp does show minus values from the barometric sensor.

All the time the flyapp does show barometric height, at the end too.   Its normal to see some variations on start en end height if during the flight height changes during flight are made. Baro sensor has to deal with its own hysteresis effect, the better the quality of such a sensor the lesser the effect is.

So i disagree with his conclusion.
If the weather improves here in i will do some testing as well, just try yourself 2 flight scenarios ;
1) fly 10 minutes at low take height, come back and see readings
2) fly 10 minutes and fly up to 400 feet, make few height changes and come back and see readings.

cheers
JJB
2020-1-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-2 14:28

Hello DowntownRDB, I dont think you are hijacking the post, I´m aware of the IMU and various sensors, I have flew the mini already over 60km (even though linked here only shows 40), I only calibrated IMU when I unboxed the mini the 18th of November.

I have been flying always the same way, taking time and doing the hoover check for at least 2 to 5 minutes, even this flight I posted as you can see I stay around home point for quite some time, the drops appear around the 9 minute mark.

I think speed and inertial force in S mode does affect the response from some sensors, it may be related to temperature and/or something else entirely. So the best way to calibrate IMU would be in the same environment/temperature you are trying to fly in, however is hard to find a perfectly flat surface in nature.

I mean I seriously haven´t experienced this drops before, that is why I reported back, my main intent is to help fine tune the mini near perfection.
2020-1-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

JodyB Posted at 1-2 16:26
I agree, but also it’s important to remember that if you are going to push the mini to start small and build up and recognize when the limits are being pushed and that little bit more is probably too much. Unless you’re just adventurous and have the extra money to spend on a new mini, lol!!!

No extra money to sped in drones for a while lol
I´m too finding the limits of the mini as I use it, no need to push over them, but in a way I dont think I was really being that extreme, good GPS, 16 degrees Celsius, no wind, VLOS, area free of obstacles, full batteries...

If I was using a speed booster or something the mini isn´t designed for, Ok, or in extreme winds or temperature but it was basic push forward + let go, if the behavior I got is drop, I´m happy I know it now, i´ve done this countless times in C and P mode... I start recording make my movements, then I stop the recording and let go I would expect the mini to stay there hoovering, no climb no drop.

Even some experienced YouTubers recommend, if you get in trouble let go the sticks, not planning to race with the mini so I will probably just be more cautious in S mode.
2020-1-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Dirty Bird Posted at 1-2 18:16
This is why long ago with the Phantom 3 many of us learned about "cold calibration" of the IMU to eliminate long delays waiting for the bird to warm up.  Remove the battery & stick the drone in the freezer for about 10 minutes.  Have you controller/app connected & ready.  Remove the drone from the freezer, insert battery power on.  As soon as it connects go to the calibration screen & perform the process.

Newer birds do not seem to experience the long warm up delays of the old Phantom 3 series & I have not had to perform a cold calibration on any bird newer than the P3 series.

Interesting, it may be a good idea to calibrate IMU at same temperature you pretend to fly in, the freezer thingy seems a bit extreme for the minj, not so cold here in southern Spain.
Thanks for the interesting info!
2020-1-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Guorium Posted at 1-2 18:06
I flew in cold near zero jiuzhaigou in China. 3200m. Altitude dipped suddenly and almost hit water below. That was sooooo close. Only occurred once tho. Other flights nearby are fine.

Interesting,where you flying in sports mode or with strong winds?
2020-1-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

AntDX316 Posted at 1-2 19:47
Minimum I think is actually 5.  I can fly my M2P with full confidence even at night that has developed from using the XT.  I just make sure the ISO is cranked all the way in photo mode so I can actually see the obstacles first then switch the settings.  If you have the money to spend, the upper-end DJI drones are actually reliable.  Just need to make sure you don't crash into anything or fly too low thinking it's ok w/ lack of understanding as many have already.

Pop up to say 80m, look around, if there is nothing then you should be ok to fly around.  Flying low and tight may require some finessing but you need to be near 100% sure there is nothing there.  At least know the area during the day.  If you are at 150m, 100% nothing is there unless you live where the tallest trees in the world or skyscrapers/towers of course are but it gets boring the higher up you get.

Yeah mini is my learning drone, eventually I will get a M2 or something.
I like to start my missions as close to the targer as possible, unless is hard or impossible for me to get any closer, with bigger drones I will try to do the same.
Thanks for the tips though, knowing what is around you is a must, and your tip of knowing the area during the day is priceless.
2020-1-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-3 02:42
Interesting, it may be a good idea to calibrate IMU at same temperature you pretend to fly in, the freezer thingy seems a bit extreme for the minj, not so cold here in southern Spain.
Thanks for the interesting info!

Calibration, putting Mavic mini in the Freezer is not a good idea, freezers contain moisture and moisture and electronics don’t mix, what you are trying to gain is the normal temp you have when starting to fly, just simply putting your drone outside for 30 minutes will achieve this.
Can you imagine condensation caused by taking a drone from a freezer to a warm room and Mavic mini is full of holes, just get temperatures down to normal for your area.
2020-1-3
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-3 02:37
No extra money to sped in drones for a while lol
I´m too finding the limits of the mini as I use it, no need to push over them, but in a way I dont think I was really being that extreme, good GPS, 16 degrees Celsius, no wind, VLOS, area free of obstacles, full batteries...

If I came across as saying you should be more cautious, I'm sorry. I wasn't saying that at all. What I saw of your flight, you were actually being cautious. I was referring to new drone pilots actually.
2020-1-3
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-3 04:34
Calibration, putting Mavic mini in the Freezer is not a good idea, freezers contain moisture and moisture and electronics don’t mix, what you are trying to gain is the normal temp you have when starting to fly, just simply putting your drone outside for 30 minutes will achieve this.
Can you imagine condensation caused by taking a drone from a freezer to a warm room and Mavic mini is full of holes, just get temperatures down to normal for your area.

I like your idea of putting the drone outside for 30 minutes prior to flying .
2020-1-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

JodyB Posted at 1-3 05:02
If I came across as saying you should be more cautious, I'm sorry. I wasn't saying that at all. What I saw of your flight, you were actually being cautious. I was referring to new drone pilots actually.

No problem at all
I agree this is good info for new pilots, be aware in S mode of extreme movements and keep AC VLOS at all times.
2020-1-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

hallmark007 Posted at 1-3 04:34

Good idea Hallmark, it’s what I did today.
Ive carried out some more tests and have to report back with logs.
P and C mode seem to handle the sudden stop better than S, it didn’t drop drastically it it went up a bit and slowly decreased once, tanks for the tips.
2020-1-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-2 07:41
Correct AC was in Sports mode, I haven´t tried in P mode but I will. The behavior only happened when going full speed forward, then letting sticks go 100%, I wonder if this could be related to IMU and inertia.

Such maneuvers is probably asking to much from MM in Sports mode.  

Be good if DJI looked at flight logs from your testing, to see if there was any improvements they could make for future firmware of MM.
2020-1-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 1-3 09:49
Such maneuvers is probably asking to much from MM in Sports mode.  

Be good if DJI looked at flight logs from your testing, to see if there was any improvements they could make for future firmware of MM.

Yes I´m starting to think is mainly related to Sport mode and extreme maneuvers, controlling the stick very gently doesn´t do the drops, and using C or P mode I cannot see them either.

I did two more tests today after calibrating the IMU outside, random results, while most times it didnt seem to happen, it did a couple of climbs and also dropped, the funny thing is that by the end of one of the flights I just left the mini hoovering in front of me around 3m height while I was playing with the compass and the mini slowly descended up to the point the DVS system kicked in around 0.5m above floor, so maybe not only related to extreme movements.

Will post logs but have to go through to find the exact minute it happens.
I´m actually not complaining at all, just reporting so support can fine tune this engineering master piece

Like you say hopefully DJI can study my tests and if there is something that can improve, better for us all
2020-1-3
Use props
Eka
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1293625 ft
Serbia

This flight was in P mode

you can see same flight from his phone here

Notice that shake when it was falling. So many reported fallings in a similar way. DJI must do something about it
2020-1-4
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Eka Posted at 1-4 12:32
This flight was in P mode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYnAG32ovuc
you can see same flight from his phone here

Have you posted logs of your case?
I think many are experiencing this and we must report.
2020-1-5
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Definitely a Mavic MIni bug, some have had their poor Mini drown because of this glitch.
2020-1-5
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Sorry, dobule post error.
2020-1-5
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

m80116 Posted at 1-5 03:22
Definitely a Mavic MIni bug, some have had their poor Mini drown because of this glitch.

Lets hope they are looking in to it now.
2020-1-6
Use props
Eka
lvl.4
Serbia

Another similar case

2020-1-6
Use props
Eka
lvl.4
Serbia

And another..

When will DJI do something about it?
2020-1-6
Use props
djiuser_LmmwJA7J9asi
New

Ireland

Hi, all, done over 200km on my DJI mavic mini, got is Christmas 2019, not even a year old, was out trying to get a video in the fog this morning, ( I have done this many times before) the temp was -1C, I warmed the drone up before the flight and didn’t have it outside two minutes before I had it in the air. I just wanted to get a couple of shots above the fog, then the drone comes down very fast, the propeller were still spinning but it was fast enough to damage the drone, thankfully it landed on grass, the second it started its decent down from only 70m high it said “Motor error” can someone please help, what was wrong? My flight log of the incident won’t post publicaly for some reason but if someone needs to see it to figure the issue I can Dm it
2020-12-6
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

djiuser_LmmwJA7J9asi Posted at 12-6 06:41
Hi, all, done over 200km on my DJI mavic mini, got is Christmas 2019, not even a year old, was out trying to get a video in the fog this morning, ( I have done this many times before) the temp was -1C, I warmed the drone up before the flight and didn’t have it outside two minutes before I had it in the air. I just wanted to get a couple of shots above the fog, then the drone comes down very fast, the propeller were still spinning but it was fast enough to damage the drone, thankfully it landed on grass, the second it started its decent down from only 70m high it said “Motor error” can someone please help, what was wrong? My flight log of the incident won’t post publicaly for some reason but if someone needs to see it to figure the issue I can Dm it

Sad to read that.
My guess is the motors cannot keep up some times, maybe the cold froze some water in the motors...
But my guess is that the new, improved and more powerful motors on the new Mini 2 are a hint... Whatever is wrong with Mini1 motors, was fixed in the 2, but we will never know.

Most DJI  products are released every two years, Mini 2 came only one year later, don't wanna sound pessimistic but my guess is we were all Guinea pigs.

Was reading some posts today on Mini 1bitrate and 4K limitation, Dji response was "this is an entry level drone" but after Mini2 all those arguments are invalid, Ambarella chip absolutely capable and just some bizarre marketing idea.
2020-12-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules