It's here!
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CallMeAlan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27434 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just to say hello from the south of England.

Very pleased when DPD delivered my Robomaster just before 9am today.  I'm a keen DJI user, owning or having owned Phantoms 2 and 3, Flamewheel hexacopter, OSMO and OSMO Pocket, and a Spark.

I built the Robomaster in a total of 170 minutes and I'm now just waiting for the battery to charge up.  Lesson 1: charge it first!

Looking forward to participating in this forum.

Alan.
2020-1-2
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hello and welcome to DJI Forum. Thank you for choosing DJI, I am happy to know that your are enjoying your new DJI Robomaster S1. If you have any concern or inquiry about DJI Robomaster S1, please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum, we are here to help. Again, welcome to DJI Forum and thank you for your valued support.
2020-1-2
Use props
CallMeAlan
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not a great start. Unimpressed.  My Huawei Android tablet does not see its wifi at all.  My Huawei P20 Pro phone sees it, connects, then most often immediately disconnects.  If it manages to remain connected, after about 4 or 5 tries, the phone screen just goes dark on entry into the Robomaster app, and remains dark forever.  

So far I have only been able to connect successfully to its wifi from my desktop Mac. But then we have the disaster of the desktop Mac's Robomaster application, which insists on going full screen. If entering settings, the screen won't scroll, so some of the available settings are off the bottom of the screen and can't be reached.  Oh, and one more complaint - the desktop Mac Robomaster app is doing something gross continuously, and the temp shoots up and the fans blow a hurricane trying to keep it cool.

So it's supposed to work with Android and Mac OSX, but regrettably doesn't really.  Right now I'm charging up my iPod, which does a fine job with my Spark.  If it isn't equally fine with the Robomaster it's likely to be returned.
2020-1-3
Use props
fansa321bfd0
lvl.1
United States

In my initial test, the Mac Version v1.0.9 for the Robomaster S1 works fine on my MacBook in the sole mode. I'm hoping that release notes will be available soon for this version.

I haven't tested it in battle, but I'm happy to see a Mac Version is now available. The full screen doesn't bother me because I can just swipe between full screen apps on the TrackPad. I can also create another desktop on the Mac and switch between the desktops quick (and the software is in a window on the second desktop).

I noticed the scroll issue in the settings, but I was able to scroll. As long and I can view and make adjustments, then that's fine for now.

Once I can do more testing in battle, then I'll know more.

Before this, I was running the software on Windows 10 in a Parallels VM from my MacBook and it works great in battle.

Allen
2020-1-3
Use props
CallMeAlan
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So after a reinstall or two I now have my Android phone controlling the Robomaster, and have had some success writing small Scratch programs.

I had an initial problem with direction - everything seemed to be 90 degrees out.  But I recalbrated the motor control via the app and now all looks good.  
2020-1-4
Use props
CallMeAlan
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I might be sending it back, for a number of reasons.  But after deciding yesterday to send it back, I've decided to give it a fair chance and have returned to getting the hang of it today.

Not sure that the software is anywhere close to the very fine standard of the hardware.  Perhaps future updates will rectify this.

Though beautifully made, and a real joy to build, it's let down by software.  I think the hardware guys got it right but the software guys are far from the ballpark.

2020-1-4
Use props
rhoude57 - YUL
lvl.4
Canada

Welcome into the RMS1 Family!
2020-1-5
Use props
rhoude57 - YUL
lvl.4
Canada

CallMeAlan Posted at 1-4 09:00
I might be sending it back, for a number of reasons.  But after deciding yesterday to send it back, I've decided to give it a fair chance and have returned to getting the hang of it today.

Not sure that the software is anywhere close to the very fine standard of the hardware.  Perhaps future updates will rectify this.

I agree with you that the software looks like it was thrown out the window before the development team got anywhere close to producing something that matches other DJI drone software.

The most frustrating aspect of the software is the complete lack of a SDK. GAD! Even the lowly little DJI Tello and Tello EDU drones have a great SDK to work with.

It's inadmissible that the RMS1 came out onto the marketplace without one, IMHO!!!
2020-1-5
Use props
CallMeAlan
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The more I learn the S1 the more I despise the software.  Today, as a learning exercise with my almost-4 grandson we wrote a Scratch script to make the S1 to do a few things with the LEDs, move the gimbal around a bit, then drive the length of the living room, turn right at 45 degrees into the hallway, then navigate on into the bathroom, move forward, then shoot teddy bear with a green laser 5 times.  Great, it works.  Then he said can we make it play a sound before it sets off?  Sure, let's put a countdown right at the start.  Result: it plays the countdown, then .... nothing.  Remove the countdown, all well again.

What nonsense.  Who wrote this stuff??  I see a beautiful piece of clever hardware reduced to virtual unuseability by software that must have been written by a 7 year old.  Come on DJI, what the hell is the matter with youl.

I requested a return the other day, and have received shipping labels etc from DJI.  Now I have about a week to decide.
2020-1-6
Use props
CallMeAlan
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Decided.  UPS here I come.  The thing is an over-expensive waste of time, made so by amateur software.  Good luck to the other 20 or so owners of this cr4p that DJI have fooled into buying.
2020-1-8
Use props
CallMeAlan
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's gone, and good riddance.  Looking at this forum, there's virtually no activity.  Does this indicate that DJI have sold hardly any of these things?  I hope so.
2020-1-10
Use props
JohnnyRobotic
lvl.3
United States

You could not realize the potential of your RMS1 and you did not enjoy it so you sent it back. That's your prerogative as a consumer. The RMS1 does what it was designed to do extremely well and I'm sure DJI will continue to improve the software and hardware to meet consumer demands. Sounds like you might be happier building and programming a JetBot.
2020-1-10
Use props
fk6
lvl.1
Germany

I like my lil bot very much
Its obviously not for you but I am eager to watch the plattform evolve
2020-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules