Mini suddenly deviating to the right when told to land
848 13 2020-1-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ChRoM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51598 ft
Austria

New Mavic-Mini-user here. Took off to my only third flight today to document the Xmas lights at my parents in law's house. I made a dry run during daylight and flew again after sunset. Everything went well, at least till the last past. I positioned the Mini for landing over a large table, which I figured would be more suitable then the grass or concrete. After I had it in position, I told it to land via the button in the app. That had worked perfectly during daylight. But now, instead of touching down, the Mini deviated sideways. Which got me nervous since it was approx. two meters till the next wall so I grabbed it out of the air which worked basically fine. The lower rotors met my fingers but both survived without any damage.

I still do wonder what actually went on. Theories, anyone?

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/18FYX1NJWJ8NWR7AHGW2/#

This should be the according DAT-file, I hope: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Akkeg4jrsACEjvk85YwQYJ3LDR8qhg?e=gahrFe
(There is a newer one in the folder, but I guess that newer, much smaller one is from later when I had the drone powered on to transfer the video files to Onedrive).

Many thanks for any insight!

2020-1-2
Use props
grahamjohnson10
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2817172 ft
United Kingdom

Was the table metal.
2020-2-2
Use props
ChRoM
lvl.2
Austria

It does have a metal frame, but I landed on it without problems two hours earlier. Based on that fact, I would tend to attribute the deviation to low light conditions. Hm.
2020-2-2
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

Sounds to me as if the drone was in ATTI mode. Darkness (=VPS doesn't work) and perhaps weak gps signal.
2020-2-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

That link is not working
2020-2-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It sounds very much like vps not working because of bad light .
2020-2-2
Use props
ChRoM
lvl.2
Austria

hallmark007 Posted at 2-2 13:29
That link is not working

Noticed that too, not sure why. Do the links expire? Anyway, the more important one with the dat-file is working. Not sure though if it's worth the effort. I was just curious.
2020-2-2
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

ChRoM Posted at 2-2 13:33
Noticed that too, not sure why. Do the links expire? Anyway, the more important one with the dat-file is working. Not sure though if it's worth the effort. I was just curious.

Hi,

DAT log explains:

Approx 18m in flight > GPS reception to zero ; thus into ATTI mode, this for approx 27 seconds.
Approx 19m in flight > GPS reception to zero ; thus into ATTI mode, this for approx 25 seconds.
and another ATTI for few seconds.
Guess botton sensor did not work; read msg "Dark Envirioment Need GPS", but few times VPS height did measure values.

cheers
JJB
2020-2-3
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

JJB* Posted at 2-3 03:16
Hi,

DAT log explains:

Great insight into issue JJB.  Thanks for always taking the time to analyze logs.
2020-2-3
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-3 05:45
Great insight into issue JJB.  Thanks for always taking the time to analyze logs.

thanks,  just few lines as the TXT file link is outdated  ;-(

Using TXT i can see graphic lines, better than try to read in sequence 30911 lines....if you understand charts ofcourse  ;-)

cheers
JJB
2020-2-3
Use props
ChRoM
lvl.2
Austria

JJB* Posted at 2-3 03:16
Hi,

DAT log explains:

Thank you very much for looking into this! Weird that it didn't have GPS. I didn't notice at the time, was too concentrated on landing this thing. Now that I think about it - I usually only check the number of satellites before take off and never again... Anyway. It was pitch dark and we tried to light the table with flashlights for me to see where I was landing. Wasn't enough for the MM I guess.
Thank you!
2020-2-3
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

ChRoM Posted at 2-3 12:47
Thank you very much for looking into this! Weird that it didn't have GPS. I didn't notice at the time, was too concentrated on landing this thing. Now that I think about it - I usually only check the number of satellites before take off and never again... Anyway. It was pitch dark and we tried to light the table with flashlights for me to see where I was landing. Wasn't enough for the MM I guess.
Thank you!

oke, but didnt you get an audio warning because of ATTI?  (volume down on you device?)

cheers
JJB
2020-2-3
Use props
ChRoM
lvl.2
Austria

JJB* Posted at 2-3 12:54
oke, but didnt you get an audio warning because of ATTI?  (volume down on you device?)

cheers

I guess that could be the reason why. Volume up and flight mode on is something I think about nowadays, but this was one of my first few flights.
2020-2-3
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

When I provoked ATTI mode in the dark living room ;-), I only received a visual message. Sure that the Flyapp gives you an audio warning in that case ? Ok, I'm not 100% sure now, maybe the music was too loud or the phone rang.
2020-2-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules