1334 10 2020-1-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Just Bill
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9974 ft
United States

Greetings,
I have been flying the MM since the first part of December.  I have an active mid sized airport that puts my home in a red zone.  Until the latest firmware update I have been able to fly the MM inside my house.  I would tic the box warning me I was in a restricted zone and it worked fine.  I updated software earlier today to the 01.00.0400 version.  Now when I go to fly inside the house I get the "Aircraft in restricted zone.  Unable to take off." warning and there is no tic box like there was and of course the MM won't fly at all.  Any suggestions to be able to fly the MM inside my house or garage like I used to?  I'm thinking I should have left well enough alone and not updated software until spring.  Too cold most of the time to head out to other locations as I live in northern Michigan.

2020-1-2
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

• Have you tried tapping on the error message to see if it takes you to another menu ?
  • Have you gone into the safety menu on DJI Fly and tried "Unlock the Geo Zone"
  • Not recommended but seems to work is to use tinfoil to block the GPS signal to the AC
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... =202375&pid=2013086

Also the latest version of the AC firmware introduced some safety features for flying in low light and flying without GPS connection, which are probably the conditions you have in the house and garage

The low light error may not be triggered if you have a bright interior to where your flying

What you need to do it tap on the "red" error message and this will take you into the Pre-flight checklist, where you should see a "unlock" in blue for the GPS error and a "red" compass calibration for the low light error.

If you click on these and follow the process then the flying blocks will be removed
2020-1-2
Use props
Just Bill
lvl.2
United States

lannes Posted at 1-2 19:11
  • Have you tried tapping on the error message to see if it takes you to another menu ?
  • Have you gone into the safety menu on DJI Fly and tried "Unlock the Geo Zone"
  • Not recommended but seems to work is to use tinfoil to block the GPS signal to the AC

• Thanks for the reply.
    I have tapped on error message and it takes me to a menu that just states restates error message.  I am wondering if this is the case because I am in a red zone, not a blue zone?
    Not sure if it would do much good to try and get waiver for red zone.
    I do have some materials for making a Faraday cage for the AC.  As there is no need for gps when indoors this might be what I have to do while waiting for a warmer day to fly outdoors.  I did get some pretty decent flying in at 24 f. but my old fingers don't take the cold like they used to.
    I'll ponder this for a while and report back if I find a workable solution.  Thanks again, Bill
    2020-1-2
    Use props
    Just Bill
    lvl.2
    United States

Just Bill Posted at 1-2 19:53
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have tapped on error message and it takes me to a menu that just states restates error message.  I am wondering if this is the case because I am in a red zone, not a blue zone?
    Not sure if it would do much good to try and get waiver for red zone.

I couldn't edit my posts but wanted to state that I am talking about Red Fly zone and Blue Fly zone not the color of the error messages.  I'm guessing with this last update there will be no flying in a Red Fly Zone even if you are indoors or where ever.
    2020-1-2
    Use props
    lannes
    Second Officer
    • >>>
    Australia

Just Bill Posted at 1-2 20:03
    I couldn't edit my posts but wanted to state that I am talking about Red Fly zone and Blue Fly zone not the color of the error messages.  I'm guessing with this last update there will be no flying in a Red Fly Zone even if you are indoors or where ever.

I am not sure, if there are any new red zone restrictions introduced by the new firmware, I can't really test here as I'm in an area with no restrictions.

Just out of interest is the DJI Fly app also version 1.0.4
    2020-1-2
    Use props
    lannes
    Second Officer
    • >>>
    Australia

When I look in the DJI Fly Safe website under self unlocking

https://www.dji.com/au/flysafe/self-unlock

And click on a the point representing a restricted zone I get the  message "Restricted Zone Unlock Unavailable"

So it looks like you can't self-unlock a red restricted zone and most probably have to go through the custom unlocking process

https://www.dji.com/au/flysafe/custom-unlock

2020-1-2
    Use props
    Just Bill
    lvl.2
    United States

lannes Posted at 1-2 20:33
    I am not sure, if there are any new red zone restrictions introduced by the new firmware, I can't really test here as I'm in an area with no restrictions.

Just out of interest is the DJI Fly app also version 1.0.4

It is, I tried on an apple and android as I have the app on both.  Funny how the app looks a bit different on each.  Can't imagine what a nightmare it must be writing software for so many different devices to use.
    2020-1-2
    Use props
    Just Bill
    lvl.2
    United States

lannes Posted at 1-2 20:53
    When I look in the DJI Fly Safe website under self unlocking

https://www.dji.com/au/flysafe/self-unlock

Well, that kind of answers it.  Thanks.

Will break out the copper tape and see what I can do.
    2020-1-2
    Use props
    lannes
    Second Officer
    • >>>
    Australia

Just Bill Posted at 1-2 20:58
    Well, that kind of answers it.  Thanks.

Will break out the copper tape and see what I can do.

Many use the tin foil approach as in the picture, which I haven't tried , just saw it in another thread here on the forum

mavic min tin foil.jpg
    2020-1-2
    Use props
    Just Bill
    lvl.2
    United States

lannes Posted at 1-2 21:13
    Many use the tin foil approach as in the picture, which I haven't tried , just saw it in another thread here on the forum

Well, I can vouch for the tinfoil method.  Couldn't find the copper tape I have some place around here.  Put 4 layers of tin foil together and with a little painters tape made the MM look like some kind of redneck fan!  Fly's around just fine.  I do have to tick off the low light warning before launch but no big deal.  I certainly wouldn't take it out of the house or garage to fly like this but it gives me the opportunity to fly indoors.  Not really sure how I feel about a product that is so dependent on it's software to use.  I might have gone another way if I would have known more about dji.

Looks like I will have a use for the prop guards I purchased after all.  Now I will just be wishing for an early spring.  It will also give dji a little time to work on their software before I give it much air time in the great outdoors!  Thanks for the input, ATB, Bill
    2020-1-3
    Use props
    lannes
    Second Officer
    • >>>
    Australia

Just Bill Posted at 1-3 15:06
    Well, I can vouch for the tinfoil method.  Couldn't find the copper tape I have some place around here.  Put 4 layers of tin foil together and with a little painters tape made the MM look like some kind of redneck fan!  Fly's around just fine.  I do have to tick off the low light warning before launch but no big deal.  I certainly wouldn't take it out of the house or garage to fly like this but it gives me the opportunity to fly indoors.  Not really sure how I feel about a product that is so dependent on it's software to use.  I might have gone another way if I would have known more about dji.

Looks like I will have a use for the prop guards I purchased after all.  Now I will just be wishing for an early spring.  It will also give dji a little time to work on their software before I give it much air time in the great outdoors!  Thanks for the input, ATB, Bill

Good to know you can use it again, at least you know the GPS is working well when you fly in a un-restricted area
    2020-1-3
    Use props
    Advanced
    You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules