2999 24 2020-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SUNNY 2461
lvl.3
Flight distance : 275197 ft
Bangladesh

Good Day All.

I am very new and noob about technical things like GPS and others of drone. Here in Snapshots, same place my mavic mini showing very low signal in both manual and auto transmition but mavic air showing high signal.
I am not sure, it is affecting the flight, range etc. How could I gain more GPS for better range for my MM.

rsz_wechat_image_20200103152417.png WeChat Image_20200103152411.png WeChat Image_20200103152401.png

2020-1-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

The auto vs manual settigs still puzzles me too.
My channel changes from 2.4 to 5.8 by itself and also fluctuates, making it hard to choose a band manually, I haven´t experienced bad signal transmission but I never fly far so...
I wish the manual was more informative in some of this aspects.
2020-1-3
Use props
SUNNY 2461
lvl.3
Bangladesh

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-3 03:00
The auto vs manual settigs still puzzles me too.
My channel changes from 2.4 to 5.8 by itself and also fluctuates, making it hard to choose a band manually, I haven´t experienced bad signal transmission but I never fly far so...
I wish the manual was more informative in some of this aspects.

Yes, same here. I wish ,like other, this may have a tutorial for noob like me.
2020-1-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

SUNNY 2461 Posted at 1-3 03:20
Yes, same here. I wish ,like other, this may have a tutorial for noob like me.

Yeah, hopefully one will come up that can clarify things for us lol
I would like to think Auto is good for 90% of scenarios.
2020-1-3
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The white bar outline does not signify signal strength, just the channel selected

If you look at channel 157 on both the MA and the MM it is the same, the green bar is not signal strength it's more related to which channel is less crowded

Interference is more likely in crowded channels used by other wireless networks, hence the red bars

Auto is preferred as the app will swap channels automatically when it experiences increasing interference

2020-1-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

lannes Posted at 1-3 03:49
The transmission frequencies are related to control signals being sent to the drone and the video feed coming back from it
By selecting a frequency with less interference, the drone control and the video image is improved
When there is a lot of interference on a frequency a drone is using , you might loose connection and video feed, resulting in a loss of control.

Nice thanks for the info, I will stick to auto since it seems to deliver good results and manual employs knowing the interference and strength at all times.
2020-1-3
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

I did not understand the topic of discussion, we are discussing the GPS signal from the satellites or the control signal and the video stream of the drone which is WI-FI?
2020-1-3
Use props
CarRamRod
lvl.2
Flight distance : 81742 ft
United States

We are looking at the WiFi channels and connection, not the GPS. Just for clarification. I think just a mix up on the terms.
The bars are indicating how much WiFi interference there is on each channel, not the strength. Low and green means the signal is good. I would let the app decide in almost all cases. You never know when the channel interference will change while you're flying and I wouldn't imagine you want to spend a lot of time looking at this screen.
2020-1-3
Use props
tshansen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 569820 ft
Norway

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-3 03:29
Yeah, hopefully one will come up that can clarify things for us lol
I would like to think Auto is good for 90% of scenarios.

That is not the case in Europe. Here you have the CE model and the 5.8ghz bandwith limits you to about 500 meters of flying. If you go on the 2.4ghz bandwith you easily get 1000 to 1500 meters in the same conditions. So, thinking auto is fine is a mistake from what i have read
2020-1-3
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

lannes Posted at 1-3 03:49
The white bar outline does not signify signal strength, just the channel selected

If you look at channel 157 on both the MA and the MM it is the same, the green bar is not signal strength it's more related to which channel is less crowded

I cannot imagine that the channels in automode will be changed DURING the flight, but an auto channel will be set after the start and remains till landing. But I don't know for sure and will test it out. I always choose the channel manually, in open field one from the 2.4 GHz, otherwise one from the 5.8 GHz band.
2020-1-3
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

tshansen Posted at 1-3 08:52
That is not the case in Europe. Here you have the CE model and the 5.8ghz bandwith limits you to about 500 meters of flying. If you go on the 2.4ghz bandwith you easily get 1000 to 1500 meters in the same conditions. So, thinking auto is fine is a mistake from what i have read

2.4 GHZ might get you that range, if the noise floor in that signal band isn't raised up enough to cause signal issues. Around here, the 2.4 GHZ part of the spectrum is pretty packed with a lot of different devices. Granted, if you're out in the country, it shouldn't be a big deal, but in urban area's, noise can be an issue.
2020-1-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

That is not the case in Europe. Here you have the CE model and the 5.8ghz bandwith limits you to about 500 meters of flying. If you go on the 2.4ghz bandwith you easily get 1000 to 1500 meters in the same conditions. So, thinking auto is fine is a mistake from what i have read

I see,I only saw my mini using 5.8 a couple of times, and I live in a very rural area, guess I have to learn better to choose them manually, the thing is that the bars change constantly and it leads me to some doubts.

500m is way over my comfort zone, I went 300m today, broke my record and literally couldn´t tell where it was, the back light disapears while flying backwards due to the angle of AC.
2020-1-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

CarRamRod Posted at 1-3 07:39
We are looking at the WiFi channels and connection, not the GPS. Just for clarification. I think just a mix up on the terms.
The bars are indicating how much WiFi interference there is on each channel, not the strength. Low and green means the signal is good. I would let the app decide in almost all cases. You never know when the channel interference will change while you're flying and I wouldn't imagine you want to spend a lot of time looking at this screen.

WOW, that is one of the most informative pieces of advice I have so far from the Mavic Mini...
The bars show interference and not strength, I just couldn´t make sense of the graphics and now it all makes sense.

Thanks for noting that I will for sure have this advice in to consideration specially if attempting to fly in a high interference scenario.
2020-1-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to this inquiry. When your channel mode is set to Auto the application will automatically use the best channel with less interference to ensure stable connection during flight. In addition, I will be posting an official DJI Tutorial Video for the best practices when flying the drone. Thank you.

2020-1-3
Use props
tshansen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 569820 ft
Norway

JodyB Posted at 1-3 09:37
2.4 GHZ might get you that range, if the noise floor in that signal band isn't raised up enough to cause signal issues. Around here, the 2.4 GHZ part of the spectrum is pretty packed with a lot of different devices. Granted, if you're out in the country, it shouldn't be a big deal, but in urban area's, noise can be an issue.

Yeah, in america and maybe other countrys the 5.8ghz send's with much better signal than over here. And we fly in area with alot of mountains but not that much interferance. So, for me.. using auto mode is a no go option if it's always picking the 5.8ghz bandwith that would be wise when you are really close. But as soon as you fly over 500 meters away you loose signal insted of it changing bandwith. If you try to go from 5.8ghz to 2.4ghz the app state that you have to land your aircraft and shut the propeller off. That makes me question if it's possible for the drone to do it in auto
2020-1-3
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

tshansen Posted at 1-3 12:12
Yeah, in america and maybe other countrys the 5.8ghz send's with much better signal than over here. And we fly in area with alot of mountains but not that much interferance. So, for me.. using auto mode is a no go option if it's always picking the 5.8ghz bandwith that would be wise when you are really close. But as soon as you fly over 500 meters away you loose signal insted of it changing bandwith. If you try to go from 5.8ghz to 2.4ghz the app state that you have to land your aircraft and shut the propeller off. That makes me question if it's possible for the drone to do it in auto

That is a question that I don't know. I would imagine it could have the capability of doing it, whether or not it actually can change channels in flight, I dunno. It could be beneficial in certain environments like if I flew into somewhere that had a lot of interference with the channel I was currently on, but again, I don't know if it actually does that or not.
2020-1-3
Use props
CarRamRod
lvl.2
Flight distance : 81742 ft
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-3 10:31
WOW, that is one of the most informative pieces of advice I have so far from the Mavic Mini...
The bars show interference and not strength, I just couldn´t make sense of the graphics and now it all makes sense.

You are welcome. I should clarify, the bars are indicating the signal strength of unwanted signals (in this case, interference). Like a hotspot or home router using that channel. The low green bars are either unused by anything or the router/hotspot/whatever is very far away. This is why the app/MM are trying to use those low, green channels. We are not seeing the connection from the app to the MM. To see that connection, look on the main flight screen next to the GPS and battery level I believe.

So, I wasn't technically correct in my statement. In this case though, it's the best way to interpret the graphs (IMO).
2020-1-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

CarRamRod Posted at 1-3 12:41
You are welcome. I should clarify, the bars are indicating the signal strength of unwanted signals (in this case, interference). Like a hotspot or home router using that channel. The low green bars are either unused by anything or the router/hotspot/whatever is very far away. This is why the app/MM are trying to use those low, green channels. We are not seeing the connection from the app to the MM. To see that connection, look on the main flight screen next to the GPS and battery level I believe.

So, I wasn't technically correct in my statement. In this case though, it's the best way to interpret the graphs (IMO).

Cool and thanks for the extra info!
It makes a lot of sense, but I really saw the bars as indicators of reception and not interference.
This is gold for newbies.
2020-1-3
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

jonny007 Posted at 1-3 09:13
I cannot imagine that the channels in automode will be changed DURING the flight, but an auto channel will be set after the start and remains till landing. But I don't know for sure and will test it out. I always choose the channel manually, in open field one from the 2.4 GHz, otherwise one from the 5.8 GHz band.

"I cannot imagine that the channels in automode will be changed DURING the flight, but an auto channel will be set after the start and remains till landing."

Yes they do change channels and even the radio band during flight, that is exactly what the auto mode is for. It is no big deal, the aircraft simply negotiates with the controller to switch to another band if the interference gets to great. If you choose to set the channel manually, you are defeating one of the most important features of the communication system. You might like to read this thread I wrote on the subject:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-205530-1-1.html

And to the OP: "How could I gain more GPS for better range for my MM." GPS has nothing to do with range, if you are having trouble receiving enough satellites, then try checking it outside or away from buildings.

2020-1-3
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

Yes there are now 3 threads with a similar topic, so that you do not know where to write. As I said before I have to test it if that is possible. I would expect that if I go into the connection settings after a few minutes of flight, the channel has changed automatically....mmhh, just don't know whether the actually used channel is shown if channel selection is in automode. I know about FHSS, but the question of all questions is whether it is integrated in the mini. Can that somewhere be read at DJI Website ?

By the way, great explanation in your contribution.
2020-1-3
Use props
SUNNY 2461
lvl.3
Bangladesh

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-3 10:31
Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to this inquiry. When your channel mode is set to Auto the application will automatically use the best channel with less interference to ensure stable connection during flight. In addition, I will be posting an official DJI Tutorial Video for the best practices when flying the drone. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7M9JtfVwQE

Thanks for guide <3
2020-1-3
Use props
SUNNY 2461
lvl.3
Bangladesh

CarRamRod Posted at 1-3 12:41
You are welcome. I should clarify, the bars are indicating the signal strength of unwanted signals (in this case, interference). Like a hotspot or home router using that channel. The low green bars are either unused by anything or the router/hotspot/whatever is very far away. This is why the app/MM are trying to use those low, green channels. We are not seeing the connection from the app to the MM. To see that connection, look on the main flight screen next to the GPS and battery level I believe.

So, in that case, my MM getting less interference! amazed to know. Thank you
2020-1-3
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

I live in Moscow and in my area about 30-40 2.4 G networks and only one network with a frequency of 5.8 G and that is mine on the Asus RT-AC3200, so I fly 5.8 G better than 2.4 G...
And there are reflectors for antennas, superstructure for Yagi-UDA antenna and even a spiral antenna with a gain of 16dBi...
That is, there is no limit to improvement!
2020-1-3
Use props
Blithe74
lvl.3
Flight distance : 254367 ft
Russia

Friends, I am sorry for my English.
I have a drone version CE and in my country I can't fly at 5GHz, only at 2.4GHz.
The drone started on the outskirts of the village, and was fly over the lake. On first battery I could flying to 2 km. After 30 minutes I changed the battery and from the same place, in the same direction flight range was 390m. Started the study and noticed that in channel mode "Auto" all channels of 2.4 GHz are painted red (a lot of interference). But this could not be true, because it is the outskirts of a village where there are few WiFi networks.
I am began experiments with switching to "Manual" mode and noticed such a feature:
If you switch the channel mode to "Manual", exit from settings to the first screen of the DJI Fly (where is written "Album," SkyPixel, "Profile" or to the smartphone desktop, and then return to the tab "Transmission", the diagram shows the correct information. But if you switch to "Auto" mode, gradually (in about 30 seconds) all channels will turn red again, see video (I record the video in another time):
[url=]Channel Mode in DJI FLy[/url]

I think for this reason for the second time the drone and the control panel chose another channel that was not the cleanest.
Please check for a version of CE who has similar behavior. Algorithm for check:

-Connect the RC to your smartphone, turn on the RC, start DJI Fly, turn on the drone, but don 't start the drone motors.
-Open the DJI Fly application, click the tab "Transmission", select the channel mode "Manual".
- Close the configuration menu, close the "Camera View" window (switch to the first screen of the application where written "Album," SkyPixel, "Profile" or to the smartphone desktop).
-Now open the Camera View window, click the Transfer tab.
-Diagram dbm/MHz must show true noise situation - some channels are busy (red), some free (green). It takes about 2 seconds to update one column, so wait about 30 seconds to update the chart completely.

1) Switch the channel mode to "Auto," the drone will reload and all channels on the histogram will gradually turn red (it takes about 2 seconds to update column 1, so it takes 30 seconds to wait).
2) Switch the channel mode to "Manual" and wait until all columns are updated (approximately 30 seconds), all channels remain red (sometimes one or two channels first green and then red).
3) Close the tab "Transmission", close the Camera View window (switch to the First Screen of the application or to the smartphone desktop).
4) Return to the tab "Transmission"... Bingo!!! The diagram already shows the real situation with noise - some are busy, some are free.
Repeat steps 1 - 4 several times...
In "Manual" mode - the correct histogram, in "Auto" mode - all red.

I think that in "Auto" mode the drone and the RC will switch from one channel to another when scanning the ether and record their own radiation.

2020-1-22
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

jonny007 Posted at 1-3 15:32
Yes there are now 3 threads with a similar topic, so that you do not know where to write. As I said before I have to test it if that is possible. I would expect that if I go into the connection settings after a few minutes of flight, the channel has changed automatically....mmhh, just don't know whether the actually used channel is shown if channel selection is in automode. I know about FHSS, but the question of all questions is whether it is integrated in the mini. Can that somewhere be read at DJI Website ?

By the way, great explanation in your contribution.

Referring to my own reply, I would like to say that I have now done some tests in auto mode, but could not find that a channel or a band was changed DURING the flight, e.g. C9 / 2.4 GHz to C149 / 5.8 GHz. I also had disconnections during the tests, so I thought that the channel now had to be changed. But it stayed where it was at the start. So I still doubt that there is the FHSS function on the mini. Has anyone noticed that the channel was changed during the flight? Another possibility ... but rather unlikely ... it already works, but the display of the current channel is not correct, e.g., auto mode display C9, but it really is C5.

For all interested persons the link with an excellent explanation of the topic "Strong interference detected"

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=205530
2020-1-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules