Exposure Settings
1586 5 2020-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

Hiya

Is there any way I can see my exposure settings after finishing the filming, please? (ISO, Aperture, Shutter Speed) On Osmo Pocket

I've checked all the Properties but no luck.

Thank you in advance
Amy x
2020-1-3
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Hi Amy.
Unlike digital photography, the exif data produced by video files has a different set of information recorded in it's data stream. That can be read by a free program found on the internet called MediaInfo.
The recorded information from a video file would include frame dimensions,  frame rate, bit rate, bit depth, average variable bit rate, encoding type, GOP structure, duration, colour space, scan type, audio codec, bit rate and type and amount of audio channels.
Frame rate is not the same as shutter exposure time that could be selected in manual misode of the Osmo Pocket as could the ISO setting. The Osmo Pocket has a fixed aperture of f2 so only the ISO and shutter exposure time can be altered in manual mode. There is no current way I know of to find out what settings the Osmo Pocket would select for itself in auto mode. Or for any other video camera that I'm aware of as it would change for varying lighting conditions unless you lock the exposure when starting a recording.   Even then the parameters could not be recalled to view. They just would not change for the duration of the recorded clip.

Ray.
2020-1-4
Use props
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-4 07:56
Hi Amy.
Unlike digital photography, the exif data produced by video files has a different set of information recorded in it's data stream. That can be read by a free program found on the internet called MediaInfo.
The recorded information from a video file would include frame dimensions,  frame rate, bit rate, bit depth, average variable bit rate, encoding type, GOP structure, duration, colour space, scan type, audio codec, bit rate and type and amount of audio channels.

Hi Ray

Thank you very much for your reply. I will have a look at the website you mentioned. Unfortunately, it was the ISO etc.. which I needed to find out (for a UNI production). I tried to open the footage details on the MIMO app and still, the data was not present.   
2020-1-9
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

AmyMarieBorg Posted at 1-9 09:31
Hi Ray

Thank you very much for your reply. I will have a look at the website you mentioned. Unfortunately, it was the ISO etc.. which I needed to find out (for a UNI production). I tried to open the footage details on the MIMO app and still, the data was not present.

Hi Amy.
An ISO setting or the recording of it, along with other values is in itself of little value as a piece of information without knowing the other contributing factors such as light levels and source types as well as distances between camera and subject matter and distance between subject and background. All are relevant if you need to reproduce the shoot again or record how it was achieved. I see this type of question a lot on photography forums from beginners who think if they reproduce the settings will get similar results which of course they don't as even sensor sizes and photo-site dimensions and types of sensors also play a part as well as amount of aperture blades and so forth. With video, if shooting in full manual it's a good idea to write down settings used as you go along if that is what is required. If you use an auto mode then nothing will make sense as the values will change as camera angles change and light levels change on the subject matter and background. Also there is little information on the Osmo Pocket as to what method it uses to get its exposure readings. I think for that reason alone that type of information is not baked into the data of  video file from a non professional camera. The information would change along with the shooting conditions within a single capture unless locked into it's settings in full manual. Even video cameras that record in either raw or log do not contain that data as it's practical use is limited once shot.

Ray.

2020-1-9
Use props
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-9 15:24
Hi Amy.
An ISO setting or the recording of it, along with other values is in itself of little value as a piece of information without knowing the other contributing factors such as light levels and source types as well as distances between camera and subject matter and distance between subject and background. All are relevant if you need to reproduce the shoot again or record how it was achieved. I see this type of question a lot on photography forums from beginners who think if they reproduce the settings will get similar results which of course they don't as even sensor sizes and photo-site dimensions and types of sensors also play a part as well as amount of aperture blades and so forth. With video, if shooting in full manual it's a good idea to write down settings used as you go along if that is what is required. If you use an auto mode then nothing will make sense as the values will change as camera angles change and light levels change on the subject matter and background. Also there is little information on the Osmo Pocket as to what method it uses to get its exposure readings. I think for that reason alone that type of information is not baked into the data of  video file from a non professional camera. The information would change along with the shooting conditions within a single capture unless locked into it's settings in full manual. Even video cameras that record in either raw or log do not contain that data as it's practical use is limited once shot.

Hi Ray, yeah I'm familiar with how all the settings are. Apart from using OP I use a DSLR and therefore since DSLR's do record the DATA I had assumed OP would record the DATA too, but unfortunately, it doesn't. I think in this case as you said that would be the only option, to write everything down on paper. I usually need to know the DATA as I'm a Bachelor's Degree Student and I would need to include it all in my production folder.  hehe
2020-5-12
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

AmyMarieBorg Posted at 5-12 12:32
Hi Ray, yeah I'm familiar with how all the settings are. Apart from using OP I use a DSLR and therefore since DSLR's do record the DATA I had assumed OP would record the DATA too, but unfortunately, it doesn't. I think in this case as you said that would be the only option, to write everything down on paper. I usually need to know the DATA as I'm a Bachelor's Degree Student and I would need to include it all in my production folder.  hehe

Hi Amy.
Even DSLRs don't give that data if they are shooting video. It is not necessarily the camera at fault but the file container format. A still image is a snapshot in time and settings can be recorded and be of value. A series of shots taken over a period of time and put together to produce a moving image would mean different settings could be used for each and every frame and become meaningless for an entire clip.
However, video files do contain a lot of data, but more relevant data to a video.

Here is the data available from an Osmo Pocket MP-4 fie.

General
Complete name                            : F:\2019\Santa Fun Run 2019\100MEDIA\DJI_0211.MP4
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : JVT
Codec ID                                 : avc1 (avc1/isom)
File size                                : 119 MiB
Duration                                 : 9 s 920 ms
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 101 Mb/s
Encoded date                             : UTC 2019-12-15 10:18:54
Tagged date                              : UTC 2019-12-15 10:18:54
Comment                                  : DE=D-CLike, Type=Normal, HQ=Normal, Mode=P
gpt                                      : +0.40
gyw                                      : +1.90
grl                                      : +0.00

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L5.2
Format settings                          : CABAC / 1 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames        : 1 frame
Format settings, GOP                     : M=1, N=30
Codec ID                                 : avc1
Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 100.0 Mb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 50.000 FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.241
Stream size                              : 119 MiB (100%)
Title                                    : DJI.AVC
Language                                 : English
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709
Codec configuration box                  : avcC

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AAC LC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID                                 : mp4a-40-2
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 192 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel layout                           : L R
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 229 KiB (0%)
Title                                    : DJI.AAC
Language                                 : English

Other
Type                                     : meta
Duration                                 : 1 s 0 ms
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Default                                  : No

Ray.

2020-5-13
Use props