Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_b1bNLosQQu1T
lvl.2
Flight distance : 142159 ft
United Kingdom

Hello Everyone.
First of all i would like to say that:

I'm not attacking DJI in any way, so please do not take anything here personal. I'm simply trying to find proffessional answer for my enquiry.

Let's start from the beginning:

Today i was about to fly my 1 month old Mavic Pro Platinum. I drove all the way to my friend's house as they have a massive empty field. There was nothing else apart from few sheeps few yards away from myself. I unpacked my stuff and switched it ON. First thing I spotted was a comment: Compass Error due magnetic interference. I'm thinking - fine could happen, but still there is no any metal objects or anything that could cause interference here, just empty field. I tried to re-calibrate the compass according to the DJI APP request, but no luck! Failures only, on every attempt.
I packed everything and walk few yards ahead to try in another spot. Got everything ready, checking... no errors. GPS mode, full signal, no marks of any interference or other problems. I took off and kept it hoovering above my head, until i will do all other checks around and then : Compass Error appeared again. Drone switched into Atti mode and flew away.  I took full control of the drone and land it safely. However... I could not took it off again due magnetic interference and lack of calibration (every time i tried it was failed).

Now is the interesting part:

I contacted DJI and ask them: What could cause this issue to happen. How to avoid it, as my drone could simply flew away. DJI representative told me that i got magnetic interference problem because of mobile phone that im using. As my phone is not listed on their compatible devices list that's why i may have compass error issues.
Hold on a second ... No one ever complained about having any problems with that phone and the phone im using is Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus.
Compatibility list says that i can use S9+ which works on same Android system, model higher gives all of the troubles and simply DJI advised to change it. Is that for real?

Magnetic interference was not the only problem I had at the time when i spoke to their representative. Another problem was that I could not completed software upgrade via their Assistant App on PC (it is failing anytime im trying to upgrade it). However, DJI told me I can send it back to them for a check. Like I said at the beginning, my equipment is month old only. Does not have any tear and wear and I know it is brand new. DJI representative told me I may receive refurbished unit that supposed to be equal to the condition of my device - but it may not be.

How is come that DJI is doing that ? If my equipment would be discovered as faulty, I'm more than happy to get it fixed and shipped back to me in condition that I got it now. I'm looking after my stuff and I know, I paid nearly £1000 for brand new device, not the one that has unkown history and may be involved in crash (perhaps).

DJI my apologie, but is that for real?

2020-1-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, sorry for the troubles with the drone, Compass Error indicates that the drone's compass is being interfered, was there high voltage line nearby?
During the calibration, please take away the keys and anything which may have magnetic interference. It is recommended to try in another totally different place, if the error persists, the compass of the drone may need to be evaluated. You also mentioned the firmware cannot be updated, may we have the error code when the firmware is failed?
Usually, the wrong orientation of the compass may be related to the mobile phone, please calibrate the compass in your phone as well in this situation.
For Compass Error due to magnetic interference in your case, it should have nothing to do with the mobile phone, may we verify how you contacted our support? Could you please provide us your contact number so that we could investigate?
2020-1-3
Use props
djiuser_b1bNLosQQu1T
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 1-3 22:22
Hi there, sorry for the troubles with the drone, Compass Error indicates that the drone's compass is being interfered, was there high voltage line nearby?
During the calibration, please take away the keys and anything which may have magnetic interference. It is recommended to try in another totally different place, if the error persists, the compass of the drone may need to be evaluated. You also mentioned the firmware cannot be updated, may we have the error code when the firmware is failed?
Usually, the wrong orientation of the compass may be related to the mobile phone, please calibrate the compass in your phone as well in this situation.

Hi there, sorry for the troubles with the drone, Compass Error indicates that the drone's compass is being interfered, was there high voltage line nearby? No. Like i said - Empty Field.
During the calibration, please take away the keys and anything which may have magnetic interference. I had nothing with me during the compass calibration. Once I'm going to fly drone, even smartwatch stays at home. It is recommended to try in another totally different place, if the error persists, the compass of the drone may need to be evaluated. That's why i spoke to DJI - to find out how I can avoid this, but instead of help DJI gave me some weird excuses. Perhaps for DJI best solution is to loose it and buy another one. You also mentioned the firmware cannot be updated, may we have the error code when the firmware is failed? 0x0e2d03 - DJI representative could not give me any idea, what this code stands for and how I could fix that error.
Usually, the wrong orientation of the compass may be related to the mobile phone, please calibrate the compass in your phone as well in this situation. Done
For Compass Error due to magnetic interference in your case, it should have nothing to do with the mobile phone, may we verify how you contacted our support? Could you please provide us your contact number so that we could investigate? I contacted DJI via LiveChat (Technical Support > Aircraft). DJI representative name was RICHARD. He refused to give me any ID that i could use for his identification, but also told me I cannot receive chat script via Email for my records. However , he said that chats are recorded by DJI. I spoke to him yesterday, evening.
2020-1-4
Use props
djiuser_b1bNLosQQu1T
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Richard, DJI representative said to me that my equipment (mavic pro platinum) is not the newest model that is available for purchase and therefore I cannot expect flies without any issues once I'm using the newest model of the phone. Is it soo difficult for DJI to update their app so it can run within newer models (that still running on same android system as older ones - I cannot see any problem here).

DJI gave up and stopped supporting older models? Why they are up for sale still then? £1100 for a "outdated" device sounds like a good deal for DJI and rip off for the customer.
2020-1-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiuser_b1bNLosQQu1T Posted at 1-4 03:44
Richard, DJI representative said to me that my equipment (mavic pro platinum) is not the newest model that is available for purchase and therefore I cannot expect flies without any issues once I'm using the newest model of the phone. Is it soo difficult for DJI to update their app so it can run within newer models (that still running on same android system as older ones - I cannot see any problem here).

DJI gave up and stopped supporting older models? Why they are up for sale still then? £1100 for a "outdated" device sounds like a good deal for DJI and rip off for the customer.

Thanks for the details, we have tried to check the LiveChat record via your Forum account but failed to get anything, did you contact our support via another email? If yes, may we have your email account?
Since the firmware always failed to be updated and the compass error persists, it is recommended to send in the drone to our repair center for the diagnosis, please start a ticket here: https://repair.dji.com/repair/index?site=brandsite&from=nav Thank you very much.
2020-1-6
Use props
djiuser_b1bNLosQQu1T
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 1-6 01:13
Thanks for the details, we have tried to check the LiveChat record via your Forum account but failed to get anything, did you contact our support via another email? If yes, may we have your email account?
Since the firmware always failed to be updated and the compass error persists, it is recommended to send in the drone to our repair center for the diagnosis, please start a ticket here: https://repair.dji.com/repair/index?site=brandsite&from=nav Thank you very much.

Hello there.

I managed to go through and finished firmware update. Found solution on the internet. Unfortunately, weather is not nice enough to do a test fly. However i will try to check it at the end of this week, before i will decide to send it under warranty for any repairs.

It seems that firmware update error is well known issue across the internet forums.

Being honest with you, Im not happy with the fact that i will send you brand new device and receive refurbished possibly after crash unit in return with unkown history of usage.

Email i used for the live chat was kidneyuk@gmail.com
2020-1-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiuser_b1bNLosQQu1T Posted at 1-6 01:28
Hello there.

I managed to go through and finished firmware update. Found solution on the internet. Unfortunately, weather is not nice enough to do a test fly. However i will try to check it at the end of this week, before i will decide to send it under warranty for any repairs.

Glad to know the firmware was updated successfully, please have a test when the weather allows.
We have tried to check the record with the email account you provide above but failed, any chance to post the screenshot of the chat record here so that we can further verify?
2020-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules