DJI Is Junk
12Next >
3054 61 2020-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mtgross
lvl.1

United States

I'm tired of screwing around with my mini. Yes I live in a blue zone, but I'm a mile from the red zone restricted area. My controller lets me unlock the area but the damn drone stays locked in the red zone. Like the GPS accuracy is completely off.

Not only that but I have a blanket authorization from the FAA to fly here.

I have the current firmware
I have unlocked the area on my controller
I have unlocked the area on the DJI website

I have rebooted everything repeatedly.

Fix this crap or give all of us having these issues total refunds so we can buy something that will fly.

2020-1-4
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dang, I would be upset also if I tried all you have done.  Especially with current Fly App, RC, AC and battery firmware updates, unlocks, reboots and then nothing.  Has to be very frustrating.  I hope that DJI gets this sorted out for you expeditiously.  
2020-1-4
Use props
mtgross
lvl.1

United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-4 08:11
Dang, I would be upset also if I tried all you have done.  Especially with current Fly App, RC, AC and battery firmware updates, unlocks, reboots and then nothing.  Has to be very frustrating.  I hope that DJI gets this sorted out for you expeditiously.

I have Zero faith or trust in DJI at the moment.

It briefly allowed me to fly and just as I took off it changed back to red and crashed into the side of my house. So now the props are trashed and one of the arms is broken.

Guess I'll be sending it in to get it replaced and when I do get it back I'll be selling off this piece of junk for something else.

I was considering getting a Mavic Pro but I think I'm just going to avoid DJI stuff from now on.
2020-1-4
Use props
Toonleap
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1358533 ft
Panama

Have you updated the app as well? Not just the firmware. Even the batteries need to be updated.
2020-1-4
Use props
mtgross
lvl.1

United States

Toonleap Posted at 1-4 08:21
Have you updated the app as well? Not just the firmware. Even the batteries need to be updated.

Yes app, batteries, and all firmware is updated.
I was able to fly a couple of days ago but not now.
2020-1-4
Use props
djiuser_72ELBBaVhN4C
New

Cyprus

I just buy the mavic mini air combo and the app is not open. Anyone know about it?
2020-1-4
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

What mobile device are you trying to use?
2020-1-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

mtgross Posted at 1-4 08:18
I have Zero faith or trust in DJI at the moment.

It briefly allowed me to fly and just as I took off it changed back to red and crashed into the side of my house. So now the props are trashed and one of the arms is broken.

It’s pretty unusual for a craft to crash even if NFZ take off was incorrect, yes it might land but that’s the worst that can happen, can you post your flight log ?
2020-1-4
Use props
djiuser_72ELBBaVhN4C
New

Cyprus

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-4 08:31
What mobile device are you trying to use?

Samsung note 10+
2020-1-4
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

If your Note 10 has an Exynos processor that would be the issue of the App not opening.  DJI is aware of this issue after working with Samsung.  I read in another forum or was it thread, that they plan to issue a fix for this in the late January firmware update.  Sorry, wish it was better news.
2020-1-4
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

DJI products are awesome, maybe support not so much.
Is true the mini needs fine tuning but is so much fun to fly...
2020-1-4
Use props
mtgross
lvl.1

United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-4 08:46

I stand by my statement that their product is junk. Their support is horrendous and among the absolute worst in the industry.
2020-1-4
Use props
mtgross
lvl.1

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-4 08:33
It’s pretty unusual for a craft to crash even if NFZ take off was incorrect, yes it might land but that’s the worst that can happen, can you post your flight log ?

It's already boxed up to go back to DJI so sorry no.
2020-1-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

mtgross Posted at 1-4 08:56
It's already boxed up to go back to DJI so sorry no.

Log is in your phone not the drone .
2020-1-4
Use props
fracz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1018061 ft
Poland

Can't you just go somewhere to fly? I really can't understand what's sooo interesting in flying it inside/outside of all the houses in restricted areas...
2020-1-4
Use props
mtgross
lvl.1

United States

fracz Posted at 1-4 09:14
Can't you just go somewhere to fly? I really can't understand what's sooo interesting in flying it inside/outside of all the houses in restricted areas...

/Users/matthewgrosskopf/Desktop/Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 11.18.20 AM.png
2020-1-4
Use props
mtgross
lvl.1

United States

fracz Posted at 1-4 09:14

I live on the very edge of the blue zone, nowhere near the red but the firmware thinks it is in the red.
Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 11.18.20 AM.png
2020-1-4
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

mtgross Posted at 1-4 08:55
I stand by my statement that their product is junk. Their support is horrendous and among the absolute worst in the industry.

Im sorry to hear you feel that way, if I lived that close to an airport and didnt know about the NFZ I would also be not so happy.

My father was going to get a mini but he lives very close to an international airport with huge traffic and law here states to stay away from 8km, he basically would need to drive 50km to get away, so he is not getting one.

I hope you get another drone and can have lots of fun with it asap.
2020-1-4
Use props
fracz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1018061 ft
Poland

Don't you think it's not about red/blue/pink colors but about safety?...
2020-1-4
Use props
mtgross
lvl.1

United States

fracz Posted at 1-4 10:56
Don't you think it's not about red/blue/pink colors but about safety?...

It is about safety. Thats why I went to the trouble of registering the mini with the FAA even though I don't have to. Why I went through the trouble of requesting an authorization from the FAA to fly in the zone, and why I was granted a blanket authorization by the FAA to fly in the airport zone as long as I keep within the altitude restrictions.

So I am doing things safely, and legally. Unfortunately DJI can't seem to figure that out.
2020-1-4
Use props
mtgross
lvl.1

United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-4 10:40
Im sorry to hear you feel that way, if I lived that close to an airport and didnt know about the NFZ I would also be not so happy.

My father was going to get a mini but he lives very close to an international airport with huge traffic and law here states to stay away from 8km, he basically would need to drive 50km to get away, so he is not getting one.

I know about the NFZ, the restricted flight, no fly zone, is the red part of the zone. The blue part you can fly in as long as you stay below the altitude restrictions put in place by the FAA. This is the USA jurisdiction and I understand Spain is different.

2020-1-4
Use props
Burak C.
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21814 ft
Turkey

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-4 08:41
If your Note 10 has an Exynos processor that would be the issue of the App not opening.  DJI is aware of this issue after working with Samsung.  I read in another forum or was it thread, that they plan to issue a fix for this in the late January firmware update.  Sorry, wish it was better news.

I have also Note 10+ but mine is Snapdragon version, bought it from the US. No problem so far, but mine is android 9. Just update came to my phone for android 10. I am waiting for DJI to release update for android 10 since it is not supported yet.
2020-1-4
Use props
Droneflier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1811322 ft
South Africa

Why does DJI not have a lock of 2 to 3 meters height and 10 to 15 meters away from the RC for all no fly zones, by doing this the drones can be used around ones house or inside your house without any possibility of getting the flyer into trouble or endangering any other peoples lives or property. Should you then want to go and fly your drone further and higher you then jump on your bike or into your car and head off to a safe fly zone. Then we have choice should we need to fly in restricted zones, go get a RPL and apply to the representative authority to fly in the restricted zone.

I live in a restricted zone and can fly, I keep my drone at a low altitude limited to my yard space most of the time. Should I hear an aircraft I immediately bring my drone below my houses roof height and make sure I do not interfere with maned craft in anyway. You will hear small single prop planes, airliners and helicopters way before you see them.

To build my flying skills I fly my drone as close to the roof of my house as possible and carry out mock inspections of the roof and equipment placed on the roof, if you have a yard you can fly and take close up pics of your plants  and use trees and shrubs as obsticals to maneuver around. You can also do FPV flying in your house on your mobile device screen "Please only if you don't have kids or pets" .
2020-1-4
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-4 08:41

His profile says he's from the USA, so one could assume his phone would have the snapdragon processor and possibly could work with the fly app. I've heard it both ways so I don't know what to depend on there.  Ether way, this DJI customer has had a rough time just trying to get to fly and up until he boxed it up, still having trouble. To him, his statement is real. I understand that. I also know that DJI knows they have mistakes in their fly safe database, it is why they gave us the fly safe webpage so we can report such things as well. We should use that and report everything we find. That being said, I can't say as I blame him for boxing it up. I would be very frustrated too.
2020-1-4
Use props
HeirFlick
lvl.2

United Kingdom

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-4 08:46

try telling that to the huge contingent of First time flyers many who bought the Mini to give as christmas presents to their children who have had nothing but trouble with their products. When  you have no competition you can be as Junk as you like because there are still many blinkered fools who like being taken for a ride. I can't believe any body would support the company after the clear evidence the DJI attitude has shown with the Mini debacle.

2020-1-4
Use props
ChRoM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51598 ft
Austria

For what it's worth: I myself ran into troubles because of living in the blue zone. It was a mixture of day 1 problems with the new app/firmware I guess (unlock-button didn't show up in the app) and user error (I entered the remote controller SN into the online unlocking instead of the controller SN, my bad). But: When contacting DJI support they were extremely helpufl. Figured out my SN error and they also when I kindly asked them they extended my unlock for the blue zone I'm living in to a year so I don't have to self-unlock any time I go outside. So for me everything worked out just fine. Nothing but praise for DJI support from me. And I'm extremely happy with my Mavic Mini.
2020-1-4
Use props
zemetras
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14708 ft
Slovakia

"DJI Is Junk"

2020-1-4
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

mtgross Posted at 1-4 09:24
I live on the very edge of the blue zone, nowhere near the red but the firmware thinks it is in the red.

I know you got that map from the DJI FlySafe website, but the zones just don't look correct to what I would expect.  Since there is a runway (11/29) that also goes East/West, I would expect there to be an associated red restricted zone along with it.  

Is it possible that you live in the path of that runway and would be in a red zone if there was one also aligned with it?
2020-1-4
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

In your original post, you say:  "My controller lets me unlock the area but the damn drone stays locked in the red zone".

Just for clarity, are you literally in the red zone on the map?  Or are you only in the blue zone on the map?
2020-1-4
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've been saying how the upper-end DJI drones being reliable.  If you start on the Mini which has a lot of defects, your faith maybe lost with drones forever.

People go through life depending on what they experience and if you experience the wrong things early, it's over before it can begin which can be safe in dangerous activities of course so the chances of living are substantial because people stay away but if you want to involve in certain activities successfully, you need to know what is going on.
2020-1-4
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 1-4 15:15
If you look closely at the map data posted, the red rectangle extends well beyond the confines of the runway.  The altitude-restricted runway approach/glide paths extend on into the blue zone, then outward to the gray zones. It would be helpful to know exactly where he is located on the map.

Yes, the red restricted areas always extend 3km (1.8mi) beyond the end of the runway and are 1.2km (.75mi) wide.

However, if you look at that airport, there are two runways that are perpendicular to each other.  The FlySafe map is only showing the authorization and restricted zones for the 1 of the 2 runways.

Understanding his rough location in relation to these runways would be useful in understanding what may be happening.
2020-1-4
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

Bloomington Illinois.   Hmmmm heard about that place in a Zappa song!  ;)
2020-1-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AntDX316 Posted at 1-4 15:20
I've been saying how the upper-end DJI drones being reliable.  If you start on the Mini which has a lot of defects, your faith maybe lost with drones forever.

People go through life depending on what they experience and if you experience the wrong things early, it's over before it can begin which can be safe in dangerous activities of course so the chances of living are substantial because people stay away but if you want to involve in certain activities successfully, you need to know what is going on.

If out of 100 people 5 have a bad experience, does this make your post sound a bit ridiculous , like 95% have a good experience so you have them for life a good trade off wouldn’t you think .
2020-1-4
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-4 15:34
If out of 100 people 5 have a bad experience, does this make your post sound a bit ridiculous , like 95% have a good experience so you have them for life a good trade off wouldn’t you think .

We don't know.. but a lot have bad experiences.  We very hardly see any M2 flyaways.  I just assume a lot of the people do not know the DJI forum exists.  All the unreported stuff is what I think about.
2020-1-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 1-4 15:41
I live in the BWI Blue zone.  When I first got my Mini, I was unable to start the motors here at the house.  I took the drone to a location outside the Blue area & was able to fly.  Now that the firmware & app have been updated I am able to self-unlock & fly here at home.  I did what I had to do to enjoy the Mini.  When the P4 was released I got mine a week early.  Alas, I had to stare at it for a week before DJI updated Go so I could fly it.  C'est la vie...

I understand you have crashed your Mini & you are frustrated & upset.  Having authorization from FAA doesn't mean you have authorization in the Fly app.  In what format is your FAA authorization?  How is the Fly app supposed to know this?   Unless there was some recent change to the flight zones for your area, there is no reason your drone could fly a few days ago but can't fly now.

"If I had to make an educated guess, it would be you managed to get off the ground because you powered on the bird & lifted off before it achieved a GPS lock."

Perhaps a firmware lock-out by DJI is called for on MM.  No GPS lock, No lift off.  

2020-1-4
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 1-4 18:19
"If I had to make an educated guess, it would be you managed to get off the ground because you powered on the bird & lifted off before it achieved a GPS lock."

"Perhaps a firmware lock-out by DJI is called for on MM.  No GPS lock, No lift off."

But you'd need to have a way to override that because lots of folks want to fly indoors, and where I've done most of my indoor flying (because the WIND NEVER STOPS HERE) I get no GPS reception due to the steel roof structure.

Also, on some of the few times when I've been able to fly outdoors, it seemed that the drone could not access very many satellites until I took off and hovered for a while at about 10 feet off the ground.

But at the least, there should be a strong warning that the pilot has to override before taking off without adequate GPS lock.  That might prevent a lot of the so-called "Fly Aways" and crashes we're seeing reported.
2020-1-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Sigmo Posted at 1-4 18:26
"Perhaps a firmware lock-out by DJI is called for on MM.  No GPS lock, No lift off."

But you'd need to have a way to override that because lots of folks want to fly indoors, and where I've done most of my indoor flying (because the WIND NEVER STOPS HERE) I get no GPS reception due to the steel roof structure.

"it seemed that the drone could not access very many satellites until I took off and hovered for a while at about 10 feet off the ground"

Keeping in mind GPS satellites are not directly overhead, a couple might be at any given time...

Safe to assume in those cases there was nothing above and to sides of drone to block GPS satellite transmissions?
What about any buidings nearby that might be causing GPS satellite transmissions to be reflected off buildings, instead of direct recpetion?

2020-1-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi mtgross, we apologize for the crash accident, I managed to get your case number via your Forum account and we will apply the data analysis for you when the drone arrives to figure out what may cause the crash accident. The result will be sent to you via email once it is done, please wait patiently, thank you.
2020-1-4
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

HeirFlick Posted at 1-4 12:42
try telling that to the huge contingent of First time flyers many who bought the Mini to give as christmas presents to their children who have had nothing but trouble with their products. When  you have no competition you can be as Junk as you like because there are still many blinkered fools who like being taken for a ride. I can't believe any body would support the company after the clear evidence the DJI attitude has shown with the Mini debacle.

I am not a DJI fanboy, I've suffered too with the purchase of my mini.
I think they do have competition, anafi, autel, skidio... more to come.
This is my first ever drone, and it was a big effort for me to save the money and spend it on it, so I understand people frustrations.

However I don't see the drone as an ideal present for children, even manual states for ages above 16, and this is going to bring a lot of issues for new pilots, there is a lot to learn before a fun experience.

I understand that for many, including me, the DJI hype was not as good as we expected.
Somehow I saw this disappointment coming.
2020-1-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HeirFlick Posted at 1-4 12:42

What debacle are you referring to, the NFZ well if you bought for Christmas it was blocked for one week it’s working just fine, as far as the OP here, he said NFZ was the cause of his crash yet he won’t produce logs he’s been asked about twice, so we really don’t know his situation.
If your referring to something else maybe better start a new thread, I will say this to you, what you see on this forum is typical of almost all dji releases and it usually turns out that the vast bulk of problems are because flyers are new .
2020-1-5
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules