2361 20 2020-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tactical Trvlr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 255407 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey guys, just got my Mavic Mini and this is my first drone. I know there is a lot on knowledgeable users on this forumn so I was wondering if anyone had any advice on a good youtube tutorial for new pilots with  regards to actual flying and controlling the drone. I understand rules and safety, just looking for some practical flying tutorials.

On a side note I noticed today during my first couple of short flights I found myself always watching the drone and rarely looking at my screen. This made it a little tough when fying since once I was no longer directly behind the drone many of the controls were backwards based on my orientation to the aircraft. I realize it is important to have awareness of the suroundings of the drone when flying, but I was wondering,  do you guys mostly watch the screen when flying or mostly watch the drone?

Thanks.

Looking forward to getting into this hobby. Thanks DJI for making a drone at this pricepoint to allow me to test the waters.
2020-1-4
Use props
JM.REYES
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84423 ft
Spain

In my long experience and my advice are:
1) Enjoy a lot, enjoy flying.
2) Read the manual a couple of times and understand without doubt the terms indicated.
3) Never, now being new or later being a pilot, DO NOT BE IMPATIENT, check that everything is fine before each flight and then also, there are no cracks in the fuselage, the propellers are in good condition, the batteries are well charged, etc. ... it's two minutes for a long life of your drone.
4) Use the simulator to know the movements and have the perspective of the position and movement of the drone.
5) Do not trust, the first flights know the drone behavior and make nearby flights, learn to make turns, go up, down, forward, back, take off, MANUAL landing, etc., at least spend three batteries doing these exercises.
6) Think that you will have time to fly away and make spectacular shots, before running you have to know how to walk first.
7) Read and learn from everyone who already thinks we know something else, especiall
2020-1-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Tactical Trvlr. Thank you for choosing DJI and for purchasing the DJI Mavic Mini. I will be posting a DJI Forum thread on 10 Biggest drone mistakes new pilots make with the DJI Mavic Mini ( https://forum.dji.com/thread-204167-1-1.html ) and a DJI Forum thread on DJI flight checklist ( https://forum.dji.com/thread-144807-1-1.html ). I hope this information can help. Thank you and have a safe flight always.
2020-1-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Your welcome to the forum, you tube guy checkout kloogee he has an excellent channel you will also see him around here from time to time.
Below find a good preflight exercise, hope it helps.

1/ Never calibrate Compass unless prompted to.

2/ start AC leave until you receive enough gps lock ,

3/ if you get Compass interference turn off AC and move to another location,
without interference.

Raise AC to height of 8ft
Hover for 20 seconds
Fly forward 2ft
Backward 2ft
Left 2ft
Right 2ft
Up 2ft
Down 2ft
Yaw left
Yaw right
Each time returning to hover position
If you have a good horizontal each time, you will then know you have good GPS good IMU and good Compass, and your ready to fly.

This exercise takes less than 2 minutes and is worthwhile doing before every flight,
2020-1-4
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just, practice flying indoors with the cage installed while not looking at the feed for at least 5 battery cycles.  Don't cheat the exercises or let it sit there and do nothing.

We can only hope you didn't get a defective Mini or it's going to crush your drone flying future before it can begin to blossom.

The Spark is a very reliable drone and the Mavic 2 Zoom took a while to get the true confidence at distance flight.
2020-1-4
Use props
JM.REYES
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84423 ft
Spain

JM.REYES Posted at 1-4 13:50
2) Read the manual a couple of times and understand without doubt the terms indicated.
I can't fit everything in a single comment ... Finally, respect and love this beautiful hobby. A good pilot not only knows how to fly beautifully, he also respects the rules and enforces them. Beware of the hollow heads that carry the drones to the highest they can climb and as far as they can get, those "pilots" are dangerous. It can be done, but there are ways to do it respecting the laws and with the appropriate permits. Finally, remember ALWAYS. THIS IS NOT A TOY, misuse can cause an accident and have a very big dislike.
I hope I have not been very heavy and have put my grain of sand. Welcome and enjoy with all your new friends, we are those of this forum.
2020-1-4
Use props
djicheaha
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2957598 ft
  • >>>
United States

Welcome to the hobby and the forums. You will find plenty of advice and help. Ask questions, take your time learning the characteristics of the aircraft. Have fun. Be aware of surroundings and considerate of others and be safe. With experience, you will gain confidence to venture further out. Happy flying.
2020-1-4
Use props
Tervist
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20830 ft
United States

I'm not far removed from being a beginner, myself.  Some things that come to mind are:

1) Get comfortable with the controls and the behavior of your Mavic Mini.
2) Keep an eye on wind conditions. A number of us here use an app called UAV Forecast that gives you information about flying conditions in your area. A number of new pilots here have learned the hard way that just because wind conditions are calm near the ground, doesn't mean they will be that way once you start going up higher.
3) Keep the Mavic Mini within line of sight. Don't try to venture too high or too far too soon.
4) As with any new skill, practice. Use the Cinesmooth mode initially. It's more forgiving than the other two modes because the aircraft moves slower.  5) Visit this site daily to learn about the good and bad experiences others have had with their Mavic Minis.

2020-1-4
Use props
Tactical Trvlr
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tervist Posted at 1-4 15:01
I'm not far removed from being a beginner, myself.  Some things that come to mind are:

1) Get comfortable with the controls and the behavior of your Mavic Mini.

Thanks. I took it out for a second flight in an area that was much more wide open. I definitely got a little more comfortable with the controls. I will check out that app for flying conditions, thanks for the info.
2020-1-4
Use props
Tactical Trvlr
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JM.REYES Posted at 1-4 13:50

All excellent pieces of advice. Thank you very much. It is so tempting to just jump in and try and do things that I am clearly not ready to do yet. I will take everyones advice here and be patient.
2020-1-4
Use props
Tactical Trvlr
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-4 13:54
Hello and good day Tactical Trvlr. Thank you for choosing DJI and for purchasing the DJI Mavic Mini. I will be posting a DJI Forum thread on 10 Biggest drone mistakes new pilots make with the DJI Mavic Mini ( https://forum.dji.com/thread-204167-1-1.html ) and a DJI Forum thread on DJI flight checklist ( https://forum.dji.com/thread-144807-1-1.html ). I hope this information can help. Thank you and have a safe flight always.

Thanks, I will check that out.
2020-1-4
Use props
Tactical Trvlr
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-4 13:58
Your welcome to the forum, you tube guy checkout kloogee he has an excellent channel you will also see him around here from time to time.
Below find a good preflight exercise, hope it helps.

Great info. I'll do this before every flight. I am so OCD it will become a ritual.
2020-1-4
Use props
Tactical Trvlr
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JM.REYES Posted at 1-4 14:05
I can't fit everything in a single comment ... Finally, respect and love this beautiful hobby. A good pilot not only knows how to fly beautifully, he also respects the rules and enforces them. Beware of the hollow heads that carry the drones to the highest they can climb and as far as they can get, those "pilots" are dangerous. It can be done, but there are ways to do it respecting the laws and with the appropriate permits. Finally, remember ALWAYS. THIS IS NOT A TOY, misuse can cause an accident and have a very big dislike.
I hope I have not been very heavy and have put my grain of sand. Welcome and enjoy with all your new friends, we are those of this forum.

Solid advice. Thank you
2020-1-4
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Welcome to the hobby. It is a true love for myself and hopefully it will be for you as well!! Everyone has already given you great words of
Wisdom so how do I top what’s already been given? Read/watch videos, practice, repeat. You will find a lot of very wise pilots here, complete with very individual personalities but they all have something to bring to the plate so if you have questions, you will get an answer here!!!
2020-1-4
Use props
net23
lvl.3
Flight distance : 9337 ft
  • >>>
United States

FlytPath is a great YouTube channel, the host does really good videos on drones, photography, etc... and he has what I think are the best tutorials/explanations.... Here's part 1 of a two part intro to Mavic Mini he did:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpJsouF-ocQ
2020-1-4
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Having lost my Mini I can give some great tips to avoid this happening to you

I've written a post in this forum and also a blog post. https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=206072&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D712%26typeid%3D712
2020-1-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Tactical Trvlr Posted at 1-4 17:50
Thanks, I will check that out.

You are very much welcome Tactical Trvlr. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2020-1-5
Use props
djiuser_az6Qo1qmYjht
New
Flight distance : 3760 ft
United States

Hi guys, I'm new to drones ...
I bought a mavic mini and have noticed my phone stealing control charge from the mavic mini.
2020-8-31
Use props
djiuser_tLlPwaeN5kK6
New
United States

hello. i am having problems that i can't overcome. i have mavic mini. it is brand new from box. the app djifly, is not compatible with my phone, therefore, i have used rainbow app to fly my first mavic mini. for some reason, it stopped working. for several months now, i have tried everything there is to get two mavic mini drone to work. the original, that i was flying, now will not sync to remote. however,  i now have two more mavic mini drones, that,  will sync to remote, will calibrate, shows connected in app, says strong magnetic field fly with caution,  but has no picture on the camera, and will not start. i have the most recent mavic mini, doing this as well. two drones, new,  will sync to remote but will not start... months of frustration...?dlǝɥ ǝsɐǝld ǝuoǝɯos uɐɔ. i have galaxy a11 phone. i have rainbow app. flynow app. and harmony app.  i have tried dji go 4 app and a few others to no avail.
jnomed@gmail.com they will fly by force if i don't get help soon.
2021-7-15
Use props
djiuser_tLlPwaeN5kK6
New
United States

hello. i am having problems that i can't overcome. i have mavic mini. it is brand new from box. the app djifly, is not compatible with my phone, therefore, i have used rainbow app to fly my first mavic mini. for some reason, it stopped working. for several months now, i have tried everything there is to get two mavic mini drone to work. the original, that i was flying, now will not sync to remote. however,  i now have two more mavic mini drones, that,  will sync to remote, will calibrate, shows connected in app, says strong magnetic field fly with caution,  but has no picture on the camera, and will not start. i have the most recent mavic mini, doing this as well. two drones, new,  will sync to remote but will not start... months of frustration...?dlǝɥ ǝsɐǝld ǝuoǝɯos uɐɔ. i have galaxy a11 phone. i have rainbow app. flynow app. and harmony app.  i have tried dji go 4 app and a few others to no avail.
jnomed@gmail.com they will fly by force if i don't get help soon.
2021-7-15
Use props
ttsyny
lvl.2
United States

I am also a new Mavic Mini owner. I found the YouTube channel Drone Valley to be a good resource.
2021-7-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules